Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

I had to write a data generator over the weekend that can create 10+ years of user data history for millions of users to make sure my stupid GDPR code works at scale because the testers apparently can't write a while loop.

loving come on Europe. "Oooh, are you spying on me? Oh deary me, I most humbly insist you delete all private data about me, preferably in time for tea!"

lol what the gently caress. Privacy is dead, what is this poo poo? Don't they realize user-data-driven advertising is the only thing propping up our flimsy western capitalist economies?

It's all hosed isn't it, we really are all hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Star Citizer is bad!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

SomethingJones posted:

Nah it's fine. They're looking for the 0.1% diamond Star Citizens in the rough, not us.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

Nah it's fine. They're looking for the 0.1% diamond Star Citizens in the rough, not us.

I was chatting to a girl who does online or mobile advertising stuff with facebook, I was slightly drunk but the gist was that it learns your route home from work and throws adverts up for things that you will find on your way home

I have no idea if this is bollocks or actually a thing

Wait until they have advert holograms coming into your house, slipping in through the catflap, wearily flashing their message onto the curtains, *get a refund*

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SomethingJones posted:

Was this posted in the thread yet?

They do not have confidence that they will fix the underlying performance issues by 3.3/3.4. Turns out that tracking a bajillion entities is computationally intensive. So where does that leave the 3.1 'performance' patch... lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/trickycrayon/status/965783659298066432

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

Little bit, yeah.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

I was chatting to a girl who does online or mobile advertising stuff with facebook, I was slightly drunk but the gist was that it learns your route home from work and throws adverts up for things that you will find on your way home

I have no idea if this is bollocks or actually a thing

Wait until they have advert holograms coming into your house, slipping in through the catflap, wearily flashing their message onto the curtains, *get a refund*

True holograms or fake holograms? This is important!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tokamak posted:

They do not have confidence that they will fix the underlying performance issues by 3.3/3.4. Turns out that tracking a bajillion entities is computationally intensive. So where does that leave the 3.1 'performance' patch... lol

I don't think we've ever seen a kickstarted project put out a build of a game with diabolical performance, and then leave it out in the wild for over a year whilst trying to bolt in some gameplay and a few extra servers

It took Frontier 2 years to get the whole instancing down to reasonably painless transitions, CIG are talking about spinning up a server, creating an instance, and grabbing all the player data and then they're talking about doing this in localised areas

That is a complete nightmare - and if they somehow achieve it there's nowhere else to take it or scale it up - because if you add more servers you add more instance boundaries, if you add more areas you need more servers, to handle 1000 players you'll need 100 servers which will all be saturated as players move around.

The problems are as serious as they are obvious

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

I don't think we've ever seen a kickstarted project put out a build of a game with diabolical performance, and then leave it out in the wild for over a year whilst trying to bolt in some gameplay and a few extra servers

It took Frontier 2 years to get the whole instancing down to reasonably painless transitions, CIG are talking about spinning up a server, creating an instance, and grabbing all the player data and then they're talking about doing this in localised areas

That is a complete nightmare - and if they somehow achieve it there's nowhere else to take it or scale it up - because if you add more servers you add more instance boundaries, if you add more areas you need more servers, to handle 1000 players you'll need 100 servers which will all be saturated as players move around.

The problems are as serious as they are obvious

problems?

waves hands

no problems!

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
I hear FORTRAN is good for physics engines. Maybe they should use that.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

SomethingJones posted:

:gary:"what we eventually want to achieve":yarg:

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Toops posted:

Unless you're hella excited about spending hours solving logic problems, and inventing crazy/weird engineering systems for the gently caress of it, this game might seem tedious and boring. But I think it's pretty dope.

Well gently caress, that's all my free time gone then... :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Off topic, but :justpost::

When anyone else gets a bad cold, like a head cold, do all your teeth hurt? Like, every single one of your teeth feel like they've got a root canal cavity, and you want to rip them all out with pliers? Your teeth feel like they want to explode out of your face?

A deskeletonization procedure would probably fix that :science:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

tooth pain is the worst. truly triples every second

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

XK posted:

Off topic, but :justpost::

When anyone else gets a bad cold, like a head cold, do all your teeth hurt? Like, every single one of your teeth feel like they've got a root canal cavity, and you want to rip them all out with pliers? Your teeth feel like they want to explode out of your face?

I definitely got that one or two years ago. The teeth aching got better after a day or maybe a few iirc. Painkillers helped a little. I think sleep helps a lot more if you can afford it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Wait, stop, reboot everything.

How did this not get laughed off the internet back in Kickstarter days?

quote:

• 10X the detail of current AAA games

Most current gen “AAA” games have around 10,000 polygons for a character and 30,000 or so for a vehicle. In Star Citizen, the characters are detailed at 100,000 polygons, the fighter at 300,000 and the Space Carrier 7 million! This allows unparalleled detail, making the visuals more immersive than has ever been achieved before.

I'm so confused.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SomethingJones posted:

So instances.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pixelate posted:

Wait, stop, reboot everything.

How did this not get laughed off the internet back in Kickstarter days?

I'm so confused.

I.... just assumed CR and the Gjeniuses at Crytek had figured out one neat trick that let them optimize games better than everyone else, and that optimization meant including more polys, not cleverly including fewer.

I wasn't thinking.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Potato Salad posted:

I.... just assumed CR and the Gjeniuses at Crytek had figured out one neat trick that let them optimize games better than everyone else, and that optimization meant including more polys, not cleverly including fewer.

I wasn't thinking.

Well now see what you've done!

Somebody fetch a high-fidelity mop...

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

You know how you guy are always joking about Ortwin being a vampire?

You cannot make this poo poo up.

Now this is a classy post

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

I had to write a data generator over the weekend that can create 10+ years of user data history for millions of users to make sure my stupid GDPR code works at scale because the testers apparently can't write a while loop.

loving come on Europe. "Oooh, are you spying on me? Oh deary me, I most humbly insist you delete all private data about me, preferably in time for tea!"

lol what the gently caress. Privacy is dead, what is this poo poo? Don't they realize user-data-driven advertising is the only thing propping up our flimsy western capitalist economies?

For me it's more about explaining to companies why they now need to see their database of hundreds of thousands of subscribers be decimated for reasons, it's not a good discussion to have

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mr.Tophat posted:

Now this is a classy post

The third coutt is the deepest

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if boring everyone to death until they gently caress off and forget about the game is part of the exit strategy. Judge Judy is our best hope for laughs with no CIG at Gamescom this year.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

For me it's more about explaining to companies why they now need to see their database of hundreds of thousands of subscribers be decimated for reasons, it's not a good discussion to have

So CIG will now have to bulk-cleanup their near-two-million subscriber database? :lol:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

The third coutt is the deepest

A coutt above the rest

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Quavers posted:

So CIG will now have to bulk-cleanup their near-two-million subscriber database? :lol:

They'll just slap a big, 'required for business function' sticker on it and call it a day. That's what everyone else is doing.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

AP posted:

I wonder if boring everyone to death until they gently caress off and forget about the game is part of the exit strategy. Judge Judy is our best hope for laughs with no CIG at Gamescom this year.

Given the timing of events of the Crytek suit, it is quite likely that the lawsuit will still be in play during Gamescom. So the energy normally devoted to spinning up the latest demo will be diverted elsewhere in preparation for a trial. If they don't settle, talk of the lawsuit would drown out the message they want to sell and magnify the image they want to avoid.

This is all good for Star Citizen.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quavers posted:

Yes, they still send me emails even though my account was refunded terminated with prejudice.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Whats to stop these Euro companies from offloading their DBs to the Cayman Islands?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So instances.

My extremely tepid call is that this ends up being the final implementation lol.

Except I can't claim to call that because we've all been saying it from day one

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

It worked for them last gamescom. If they hadn't shown SQ42 at citcon we would have had a total bust of a convention season. But I mean it's CIG, right? So surely it won't be very long before the next land sale or whatever. We just have to hope those meager rations sustain us, even though 90% of the most ridiculous bullshit about CIG has just become normalized to us.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

It worked for them last gamescom. If they hadn't shown SQ42 at citcon we would have had a total bust of a convention season. But I mean it's CIG, right? So surely it won't be very long before the next land sale or whatever. We just have to hope those meager rations sustain us, even though 90% of the most ridiculous bullshit about CIG has just become normalized to us.

I'm exhausted and half asleep and initially read that as "I" worked for them last gamescom. And I was suddenly awake thinking what what what!??1

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

I'm exhausted and half asleep and initially read that as "I" worked for them last gamescom. And I was suddenly awake thinking what what what!??1

God that would be amazing. I'd honestly do it, just to have funny stories about CIG to tell while also fueling :tinfoil: posts in the thread about how I was a CIG plant all along.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

What a lot of places have to do is give subscribers the chance to re opt in, and that gets about a 10% success rate :negative:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Somehow I also read that as Beet worked for CIG at Gamescom. lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

What a lot of places have to do is give subscribers the chance to re opt in, and that gets about a 10% success rate :negative:

Funnily enough I have been tasked with cleaning up the customer subscriber list here (extremely small by data standards) and I know like half 80% of these emails are just getting shunted wherever they land. Add in another 5-10% that are from eastern European and Asia where we don't even do business. And I could have that list down to 10% actual subs easily.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

My extremely tepid call is that this ends up being the final implementation lol.

Except I can't claim to call that because we've all been saying it from day one

I dont loving understand why they beat around the bush so much. What he's describing is plain old instances. In todays world of computing there are very few real physical servers, its all virtual instances of servers spun up dynamically by the cloud service. Substitute every mention of server with instance and you'd get something thats more understandable to MMO players.

Actually I perfectly understand why they beat around the bush. Instances is a dirty word that reminds people of Elite

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lladre posted:

Funnily enough I have been tasked with cleaning up the customer subscriber list here (extremely small by data standards) and I know like half 80% of these emails are just getting shunted wherever they land. Add in another 5-10% that are from eastern European and Asia where we don't even do business. And I could have that list down to 10% actual subs easily.

Oh yeah, panning for gold as I call it, pretty much every database like that is crammed full of poo poo.
It's an impossible task sorting it out, even if you have a small company say with 500 users in a Mailchimp type system you can bet half will be bullshit accounts. Trying to convince a company that they are wasting money every month sending mail to no one is harder than you'd think, having 100,000 subscribers is a badge of honour to some places, it's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont loving understand why they beat around the bush so much. What he's describing is plain old instances. In todays world of computing there are very few real physical servers, its all virtual instances of servers spun up dynamically by the cloud service. Substitute every mention of server with instance and you'd get something thats more understandable to MMO players.

Actually I perfectly understand why they beat around the bush. Instances is a dirty word that reminds people of Elite

It's not even just that it reminds people of Elite, really. They hung their hat on this incredible new server technology they were going to wizard up. I can't tell you how many posts I've made or seen guys like Beer make on reddit going "Dude, you guys know they're just gonna end up doing instances, right?" only to get literally bowled over with people actually furious that you'd dare impugn Chris Roberts's honor.

CR and his crew sold Star Citizen as revolutionary, as a universe that's the next best thing to whatever they call that dumb bullshit in Ready Player One. Every time they have to make an announcement of a shortcut they're taking or a feature they're cutting, it reminds all the backers of the reality: it's just a game. There's nothing revolutionary about it, and it's not gonna change the world, and that's not what they've been telling people for years.