Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Despite your claims, all of my rats are very fancy.

What an uggo. :3:
I want to give that gremlin a sweater and a yogie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but what does a nakey rat feel like? and also why do they look so wrinkly in comparison to furry ones

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Snoo posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but what does a nakey rat feel like? and also why do they look so wrinkly in comparison to furry ones

Normal rats are just as wrinkly, you just can't see it behind their fur.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The thing you notice first is that they are very warm. They're also a little squishier feeling, and they can also feel a little slippery.

My naked rat doesn't like being picked up at all though, so I try to keep it to a minimum. She does like being pet/stroked though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

New Rat Crew on site

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848948

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Those are some good rat babs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Those are some good rat babs.

They're very pleasant already and are quickly leaning that fingers are OK for licks but off menu for bites.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're very pleasant already and are quickly leaning that fingers are OK for licks but off menu for bites.

They just want to groom your fingernails. :)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
this site doesn't deserve my cute pet pics

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 24, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When I was giving out treats to my boys, one of them almost always missed the treat and tried to bite and run away with the fingers holding the treat instead.
He was named Hannibal because of that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jack Trades posted:

When I was giving out treats to my boys, one of them almost always missed the treat and tried to bite and run away with the fingers holding the treat instead.
He was named Hannibal because of that.

The logic is sound - instead of waiting for the Fleshy Treat Machine to return, just take it with you!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I understand it's a known behaviour, but it's really spooky when my rats decide they want to stand stock still and stare at nothing.

Yes go ahead take this treat and then just hold it for five minutes without moving. That's normal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No better place to nap on than a couple of big butts.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I understand it's a known behaviour, but it's really spooky when my rats decide they want to stand stock still and stare at nothing.

Yes go ahead take this treat and then just hold it for five minutes without moving. That's normal.

I think it's kinda cute when they can't decide what to do and end up spacing out like that. :3:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't think there's a dedicated thread for it so I'll just ask here.

Has anyone here had any experience with Gambian Pouched Rats as pets?

From the little I've seen of them, they seem to be big ratters that live longer.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Guy Mann posted:

They're an invasive species where I live so it's illegal to import or own them, you might want to check that first.

This really depends on where you're posting from; they're legal in the UK, for instance. (They're also legal to own but not import in Canada, which is kind of useless since none exist here.)

But they're more than just big, longer-lived rats. They behave differently, and while the ones sold as pets are tame, they aren't really domesticated. The difference there is important.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

but they are amazing and helpful and i am very proud of all the heroRATS :3:

i would kiss one

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falstaff posted:

But they're more than just big, longer-lived rats. They behave differently, and while the ones sold as pets are tame, they aren't really domesticated. The difference there is important.

That's a shame.
I was binge watching pouched pet rat videos on the youtubes and they seemed just as sweet and cuddly as the normal rats just bigger.

The Snoo posted:

but they are amazing and helpful and i am very proud of all the heroRATS :3:

i would kiss one

Saaaaaaaame. :3:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Oh, I agree they're amazing. I've wanted one ever since I learned of their existence - which, unfortunately, was about a year after the importation ban went into effect in Canada.

But they're not easy pets like rattus norvegicus.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

sounds like quitter talk to me :colbert:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Those are some chunky rodents. :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Introductions are always so difficult.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Introductions are always so difficult.

Gotta love the rat piles. :3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My rat babs have gone from 100% scared of me to 70% scared of me. They get more friendly as they get older, right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

My rat babs have gone from 100% scared of me to 70% scared of me. They get more friendly as they get older, right?

They get way lazier. That's for sure.

Try doing some trust exercises with your babs.
The ones I used to do were:
Smearing some yogurt on your palm and letting them lick it off, because no rat can resist some tasty yogurt.
Having them hide under your shirt while you watch TV or whatever. While wearing two shirts, if necessary.

The idea is to entice them in one way or another to stay close to you so they get used to it.

EDIT: Also, unless I'm mistaken, you've only had your rats for a week or so? Don't worry too much about it, they're probably still getting used to their new home.
Once all the corners of the cage have been pee'd in and all the weird noises outside of the cage gotten used to, they'll calm down a bit.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 20, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They're mostly quite content (mostly) with exploring my lap or hands or whatever but only if they can escape back to the cage. If I cut off that retreat in any way they freak the gently caress out and get dangerously close to trying a jump they can't make. They're not into chilling in a hoodie pocket yet, they always want out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're mostly quite content (mostly) with exploring my lap or hands or whatever but only if they can escape back to the cage. If I cut off that retreat in any way they freak the gently caress out and get dangerously close to trying a jump they can't make. They're not into chilling in a hoodie pocket yet, they always want out.

They're still getting used to their brand new surroundings and stuff, don't worry about it too much. If they're willing to be in your hands and lap then you're doing good already.

Don't force them to do anything though. If they start stressing out and want to run back to their cage then let them.
It's very important that they always have a place to return to where they feel safe.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

If they're willing to be in your hands

On being the operative word, slowly working on their flight reaction to being touched (or in some cases a hand being held 6" above them) through progressive exposure training, we'll get there in the end.

Jack Trades posted:

Don't force them to do anything though. If they start stressing out and want to run back to their cage then let them.
It's very important that they always have a place to return to where they feel safe.

Yeah this has been my approach which makes it tricky, because what they mostly want to do is dart, grab treat, dart back.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah this has been my approach which makes it tricky, because what they mostly want to do is dart, grab treat, dart back.

Try yogurt, rats generally really like it and they won't be able to grab it and run away with it.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Try yogurt, rats generally really like it and they won't be able to grab it and run away with it.

They'll try to though.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Forced socialization is also an option for reluctant rats, but yeah it's better to use that after other methods have been tried.

dovetaile posted:

They'll try to though.

Let them try, it'll be cute.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dovetaile posted:

They'll try to though.

Haha, for sure.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I got a bunch of pudding cups on clearance once and throwing an unopened one into their cage and letting them go to town on it never gets old.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I put an entire quarter chicken carcass still warm in their cage and they had NO idea what to do with it, wound up in the bin after a few nibbles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I put an entire quarter chicken carcass still warm in their cage and they had NO idea what to do with it, wound up in the bin after a few nibbles.

Weird, my boys would've demolished that.

I think their tastes might depend on what their parents were used to eating.
My rats were never interested in carrots at all but I've heard that rats usually really like them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The last thing you see before you die.