Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Do the Wings even have any prospects that are expected to be 20G+ forwards or at least top pairing dmen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AsInHowe posted:

By the way, here's how the Red Wings' weekend went, according to a couple people and a generally pessimistic blogger.

- The Red Wings had their parent's trip scheduled. It was supposed to be a mom's trip.
- Xavier Ouellet's mom is dying of cancer, won't survive until next year.
- Henrik Zetterberg, saying that he's retiring, overruled the team and made it a dad's trip, so he could take his dad on one more trip, pissing off a good percentage of the team.
- Holland/Blashill wouldn't overrule Zetterberg, the dads went to Tampa Bay and Nashville.
- ...except for Goran Zetterberg, Henrik's dad, who didn't even go, Henrik took a random friend of his.
- This has enraged Anthony Mantha and his family.

The Wings' management has also angered Athanasiou.

GOING REALLY WELL FOR THE RED WINGS RIGHT NOW

wtf, this team really is a total disaster.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
holland will get fired, take a year off, then get named inaugural gm of the seattle expansion team

e5

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

fits posted:

holland will get fired, take a year off, then get named inaugural gm of the seattle expansion team

e5

You know what is gonna be great about Ken Holland going to Seattle?

Vegas immediately being great, and setting huge expectations for Seattle, only for them to get Ken.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Drunk Canuck posted:

Do the Wings even have any prospects that are expected to be 20G+ forwards or at least top pairing dmen?

non joke answer is svechnikov maybe probably but the real honest true answer is lol wut

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It's just amazing when you look at the capfriendly list of teams vs the cap and you see a team as loving rotten, top to bottom, as the Red Wings with a cap hit at 78 million loving dollars

The return on that is awful.

Cap Hit Per Win:

Detroit: $3,258,924.96

Tampa: $1,873,702.58

Vegas: $1,723,245.54

Arizona: $3,466,049.00

At least Arizona has the excuse that they're 16 million under the cap.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Was Holland ever a good GM or was he just lucky with Lidström, Datsyuk and Zetterberg and an owner willing to throw money at FAs?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Emetic Hustler posted:

Was Holland ever a good GM or was he just lucky with Lidström, Datsyuk and Zetterberg and an owner willing to throw money at FAs?

when everyone wants to play for you and you have an unlimited budget

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Emetic Hustler posted:

Firmly the latter. Holland has zero idea how to run a team with a salary cap.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

AsInHowe posted:

By the way, here's how the Red Wings' weekend went, according to a couple people and a generally pessimistic blogger.

- The Red Wings had their parent's trip scheduled. It was supposed to be a mom's trip.
- Xavier Ouellet's mom is dying of cancer, won't survive until next year.
- Henrik Zetterberg, saying that he's retiring, overruled the team and made it a dad's trip, so he could take his dad on one more trip, pissing off a good percentage of the team.
- Holland/Blashill wouldn't overrule Zetterberg, the dads went to Tampa Bay and Nashville.
- ...except for Goran Zetterberg, Henrik's dad, who didn't even go, Henrik took a random friend of his.
- This has enraged Anthony Mantha and his family.

The Wings' management has also angered Athanasiou.

GOING REALLY WELL FOR THE RED WINGS RIGHT NOW

For everyone else in the thread, this blogger makes up a lot of bullshit and has been peddling an absurd “Swedish mafia” narrative for years that is so over the top that, if true, literally no one would ever sign in Detroit.

I mean, Detroit bad but look at this and tell me you actually believe that Henrik Zetterberg said “No, Xavier. I hope your mom dies tomorrow, actually. Also I lied about my dad and wanted to bring a bro along. We’re going to crush beers while talking about your dead mom.”

edit: also Ken Holland’s decline came around 2010. He managed a perfectly fine cap team for 2006-2010 and then hosed up when he had no longevity plan in place for a post-Lidstrom(Rafalski, Franzen, Datsyuk) era and decided to give loyalty contracts out like crazy. It’s really hard to look at the 2000-2010 and say Holland was a bad GM even if he’s easily bottom 5 today.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 20, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ryan Donato is having an incredible Olympics and if Sweeney is smart he'll use him as part of a package for someone like McDonagh, because Ryan Donato is not actually this good. He's a great college player and he's having a nice Olympics, but he's probably another Jimmy Vesey. His value will never be higher.

Of course they're not going to do this because they're probably getting hyped up about his performance, and also because he's a Massachusetts kid.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TerryMarcotte/status/965936074726965249

Before we start this presser, I'd like to remind you that Mr. Melnyk has NO money problems and we will not be taking questions on that subject.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

So what’s the better package for a playoff push?

Erik Karlsson and Bobby Ryan or Ryan McDonagh and Rick Nash?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For only 19.8 million dollars in additional salary, Bobby Ryan has 24 more points for Ottawa than Silfverberg does for Anaheim.

And worse defense.

And an albatross of a contract that will reduce what we get for a generational talent player.

Great.

I hope Karlsson goes to a team I'm willing to cheer for.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

i am the bird posted:

edit: also Ken Holland’s decline came around 2010. He managed a perfectly fine cap team for 2006-2010 and then hosed up when he had no longevity plan in place for a post-Lidstrom(Rafalski, Franzen, Datsyuk) era and decided to give loyalty contracts out like crazy. It’s really hard to look at the 2000-2010 and say Holland was a bad GM even if he’s easily bottom 5 today.

Holland's problem is that the scouting department is no longer turning up the Lidstroms/Datsyuks or Zetterbergs in the late rounds of the draft. Which sounds glib, but they had a legendary run of finding talent at the end of the draft, which allowed them to use first round picks as trade chips to get talent to supplement the core.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Holland's problem is that the scouting department is no longer turning up the Lidstroms/Datsyuks or Zetterbergs in the late rounds of the draft. Which sounds glib, but they had a legendary run of finding talent at the end of the draft, which allowed them to use first round picks as trade chips to get talent to supplement the core.

For sure. But he still managed to run an excellent cap team during the 2000s in order to manage top end talent while also fitting in enough supplementary dudes that did not destroy their cap. It’s kind of amazing that he had a core of 4 good defenseman and two elite forwards and still managed his money right to have an excellent supporting cast.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Someone do something, preferably the Rangers, trade everyone, tank hard AF

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

So what’s the better package for a playoff push?

Erik Karlsson and Bobby Ryan or Ryan McDonagh and Rick Nash?

I was thinking to myself “poo poo well Karlsson of course, duh!”

Then I thought, well what is Bobby Ryan’s contract?

4 more years at $7 mil.

:stare:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

howe_sam posted:

When you have one or more top end talents on your roster, moving picks and prospects for short term success is an entirely laudable strategy. The fact that the Wings found Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Zetterberg let him get away with that more than other teams. I don't think it's fair to criticize him for taking that route given the talent he had, but he certainly hasn't accepted the fact that sports teams have a natural ebb and flow of success.

Wamsutta posted:

How much does the pending Gudbranson extension move your needle? Because that's something.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wamsutta posted:

So that what Sam Hinkes been up to recently.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

How much does the pending Gudbranson extension move your needle? Because that's something.

I'll hold my needle right here so you can pinch yourself and wake up from this nightmare.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Doesn't that limit the number of teams who can trade for Karlsson to like Arizona and whoever else is deliberately keeping payroll low?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

I'll hold my needle right here so you can pinch yourself and wake up from this nightmare.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/965965225911492608

I'm ready to wake up now. Please god let me wake up. :gonk:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Have to think the ask for Karlsson would be huge but it’s Melnyk so if you take back enough money he might even throw in a few picks

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
buffalo sabres

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If taking Ryan is a condition I wonder if the Devils don't just wait it out, since they have an absurd amount of cap space at seasons end

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Yeah forcing teams to take on Ryan is dumb and is going to scuttle any real deals.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think it's fair to criticize him for taking that route given the talent he had, but he certainly hasn't accepted the fact that sports teams have a natural ebb and flow of success.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Holland's problem is that the team wasn't able to turn guys like Nyquist, Tatar, and Erickson into the next wave of great Wings players, but they're paying them like they are because, well, I suppose the team felt they didn't have a choice since they didn't think they could plug the holes if those guys walked. Keeping the playoff streak going probably played a role. But I haven't followed the team super closely so what do I know?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Both Karlsson and Ryan have NTCs so that seems like an extra pain in the rear end to pull off

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Look Around You posted:

Yeah forcing teams to take on Ryan is dumb and is going to scuttle any real deals.

Just keep some of the salary on the books. Still leads to money savings (the ultimate goal) and still counts towards the cap, so it's really a win-win. I'm sure we can do just fine by signing grinders out of europe.

To be honest, I'd rather some 700k european grinder than Ryan & his albatross of a contract that forces the coach to give him extra undeserved minutes.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I imagine Ryan will only waive good on go to a potential contender, like a team looking to get EK.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

I imagine Ryan will only waive good on go to a potential contender, like a team looking to get EK.

Right, but what contender has room for both Ryan and Karlsson? Especially if they want to sign Karlsson going forward, it'll be hard as hell for a legit contending team to do that with that Ryan contract on the books, even if Ottawa somehow retains salary on it (which i don't see Melnyk approving anyway).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Karlsson is great and all but I don't see how a trade happens for him mid season. Cap space is too big a hurdle.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Karlsson is great and all but I don't see how a trade happens for him mid season. Cap space is too big a hurdle.

letang for karlsson at the draft e3

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Cap hits are prorated right now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are a lot of teams with the cap space to make a deal where Ottawa retains salary. Karlsson doesn’t make that much right now (or next year). Vegas, Nashville, CBJ, Colorado, Anaheim, SJS, LA, Winnipeg could probably all make it work.

God if I was McPhee I’d be going after that so hard.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Teams really should be going after him now, especially teams like Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay who could get two shots at a Cup with him instead of just one if he gets traded in the offseason and the team that gets him doesn't re-sign him.

Edit: ^^ and yeah Vegas makes a ton of sense too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Cap hits are prorated right now.

I'm aware of that. It's still a huge cap hit even with that. The Pens for example are struggling to clear enough cap space just to add the likes of Brassard. Bruins Caps etc have no space as well.

I guess some of the other teams with a ton of space like the Devils might be able to make something happen but they'd probably want assurances Karlsson would want to stay there.

Mind_Taker posted:

Teams really should be going after him now, especially teams like Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay who could get two shots at a Cup with him instead of just one if he gets traded in the offseason and the team that gets him doesn't re-sign him.

Edit: ^^ and yeah Vegas makes a ton of sense too.

Him on Pittsburgh or Tampa would be hilarious just for how upset SAS would get at how stacked they'd be. Pens would have to move a ton of salary to make it happen though so it's not happening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There has to still be a bunch of real money well below cap hit contracts out there too. Melnyk would love to take one of those back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

To be honest, I'd rather some 700k european grinder than Ryan & his albatross of a contract that forces the coach to give him extra undeserved minutes.

Like Loui Eriksson who is objectively so forgettable that he make Brendan Gaunce look like an electrifying player but still gets 16 minutes a night because he's paid $6M. Sven Baertschi who is considerably less sucky gets scratched in favour of him.

Or Erik Gudbranson who is on track to sign a $16-18M deal today and never gets his minutes reduced in any way despite the fact that 1) he sucks 2) he really sucks 3) he really really sucks. Ben Hutton has been scratched 10 times in the last 23 games even though he's way better. Mostly because Gudbranson is a 'vet' and Hutton is a 'kid' because of the whopping 15 month age difference between the two.

Or Brandon Sutter. Or Sam Gagner. Or Derek Dorsett until his neck broke. Or Alex Biega. Or Michael Del Zotto. Or Derick Pouliot for some bizarre reason. Or Jayson Megna. Or Alex Chaput.

God this team is such a bore.

• Locked thread