Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Also I'm pretty sure Melnyk hates the Pens so I don't think he'd ever sign off on a Karlsson trade to them anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m seeing some posts on FB saying Wayne Simmonds wasn’t at morning skate and will be out for 2-3 weeks with an upper body injury.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

There has to still be a bunch of real money well below cap hit contracts out there too. Melnyk would love to take one of those back.

He could take back Clarkson from Vegas. Cap hit without cash hit (I assume insurance is payin). That’s actually valuable for a guy like Melnyk.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If Karlsson does get traded I do hope it is to Vegas. That'd be awesome. He'd instantly be the guy there.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

Like Loui Eriksson who is objectively so forgettable that he make Brendan Gaunce look like an electrifying player but still gets 16 minutes a night because he's paid $6M. Sven Baertschi who is considerably less sucky gets scratched in favour of him.

Or Erik Gudbranson who is on track to sign a $16-18M deal today and never gets his minutes reduced in any way despite the fact that 1) he sucks 2) he really sucks 3) he really really sucks. Ben Hutton has been scratched 10 times in the last 23 games even though he's way better. Mostly because Gudbranson is a 'vet' and Hutton is a 'kid' because of the whopping 15 month age difference between the two.

Or Brandon Sutter. Or Sam Gagner. Or Derek Dorsett until his neck broke. Or Alex Biega. Or Michael Del Zotto. Or Derick Pouliot for some bizarre reason. Or Jayson Megna. Or Alex Chaput.

God this team is such a bore.

It's cool that if I made a mock team featuring all the most boring players in the NHL that the Canucks would make up half the team.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I wish the Leafs still had Phaneuf so they could trade him for Karlsson.

Alternatively, we have this young stud RD named Nikita Zaitsev. He's signed long term, has mediocre possession stats and takes untinely penalties. I think he'd fit in perfectly.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 20, 2018

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Sigh. Why can't everyone be bad?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Or Erik Gudbranson who is on track to sign a $16-18M deal today and never gets his minutes reduced in any way despite the fact that 1) he sucks 2) he really sucks 3) he really really sucks. Ben Hutton has been scratched 10 times in the last 23 games even though he's way better. Mostly because Gudbranson is a 'vet' and Hutton is a 'kid' because of the whopping 15 month age difference between the two.
The fun thing is they're not playing him that much. Ice time wise he's their 6th defenseman, 3 seconds above Troy Stecher, and it's a 3 minute drop off from what they gave him last year so it's this weird divide where they don't actually think high enough of him to play him a lot but still want to give him a big contract. Between how he affected management in Florida and now Vancouver he must have mentalist powers.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Ginette Reno posted:

If Karlsson does get traded I do hope it is to Vegas. That'd be awesome. He'd instantly be the guy there.

i want this so bad

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

A Schmidt-Karlsson pairing would be a beautiful thing to watch and I want this to happen.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The fun thing is they're not playing him that much. Ice time wise he's their 6th defenseman, 3 seconds above Troy Stecher, and it's a 3 minute drop off from what they gave him last year so it's this weird divide where they don't actually think high enough of him to play him a lot but still want to give him a big contract. Between how he affected management in Florida and now Vancouver he must have mentalist powers.

That's been dragged down a fair bit by the three serious injuries he's had this year. They've eased him back into the lineup, but when fully healthy he's been playing 20+ minutes a night. Management and the coaching staff see him as the #3 behind Edler and Tanev.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I was looking at the stars cap situation to see if a deal could be worked out but then realized that any deal would probably see Klingberg going back and I'm having none of that.

That said, Ottawa can take, I dunno, hamhuis or methot back along with lethonen and all the picks and prospects.

It'll never happen but a pp consisting of Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Klingberg, and loving Erik Karlsson Fuuuuuuuuck I jus came.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m seeing some posts on FB saying Wayne Simmonds wasn’t at morning skate and will be out for 2-3 weeks with an upper body injury.

That might explain the Lindblom call up

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Jim Devellano, Hakan Andersson, and Scotty Bowman made the Red Wings a juggernaut through scouting and drafting. Ken Holland has no idea how a salary cap works to this day and it's been fifteen years.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/965988203844001797

:smith:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/965998246819659777

Who's that

I had a moment of panic and thought he was the expensive guy the Rangers sent to the minors

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington waived Taylor Chorney for anyone who needs defenseman who's no good at everything, yet is still probably better than Brooks Orpik.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
https://twitter.com/russianmachine/status/965997491425628165

Oh well?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infidel Castro posted:

That might explain the Lindblom call up

Yeah, I thought it might have been trade related or something, but clearly this makes more sense.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/965998246819659777

Who's that

I had a moment of panic and thought he was the expensive guy the Rangers sent to the minors

Nick Holden is bad, so I approve of him going to the Bruins

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
a third round pick and a nothing prospect for a mediocre third pairing guy seems like a stupid trade since Boston already has seven defensemen and a perfectly fine mediocre third pairing guy scratched (Postma) on the team already.

as long as he doesn't gently caress up too bad then, whatever, I guess

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Holden is not even a 3rd pairing guy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jim Benning said last week that teams weren't willing to move prospects and picks for rentals this year (amazingly convenient given that is his #1 job right now). He's a real dunce.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah I'd rather have the 3rd round pick, don't care about losing O'Gara at all. He was never going to get a shot in Boston with all the prospects the Bruins have there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Eh Holden is alright if you don’t try to play him over his head all the time

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Aphrodite posted:

Holden is not even a 3rd pairing guy.

He was playing on the first pair in New York!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Neodoomium posted:

Jim Devellano, Hakan Andersson, and Scotty Bowman made the Red Wings a juggernaut through scouting and drafting. Ken Holland has no idea how a salary cap works to this day and it's been fifteen years.

I mean, it’s not a hill to die on but this is just fundamentally false. Ken Holland had one of the best salary cap teams for about ~5 years and has been recognized in NHL circles as the guy who broke the cap via rules-lawyering his way into extremely favorable contracts for his stars.

He hosed it all up later, obviously, and there’s no defense for that. But he was initially good at managing the team in the cap era.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
e: so your defense of him is that he was so used to being able to wield untold riches that he cheated rather than trying to understand how to manage money and assets properly, and then when he was caught,
he collapsed into a singularity of lifetime deals for local bottom 6 plugs? Just making sure I understand

i am the bird posted:

For sure. But he still managed to run an excellent cap team during the 2000s in order to manage top end talent while also fitting in enough supplementary dudes that did not destroy their cap. It’s kind of amazing that he had a core of 4 good defenseman and two elite forwards and still managed his money right to have an excellent supporting cast.

An excellent cap team that let Hossa walk and employed Dallas Drake in the 21st century.

Jim Devellano, Hakan Andersson and Mike Illitch's well of Scrooge McDuck Detroit blood money built this team and nothing more. Ken Holland has always been a joke, it just didn't become apparent until 2010

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 20, 2018

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

If they give Holden easy minutes he will be serviceable - he has some offensive capabilities. He's not a bad warm body on the back end for a playoff run in case someone gets hurt.

A 3rd is a good return for the Rangers.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Holden can add some offense on a third pairing. Any higher and he's outmatched.

Great trade for the Rangers, though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

An excellent cap team that let Hossa walk and employed Dallas Drake in the 21st century.

They played one season each with the Wings and lost in game 7 of the finals and won a cup respectively. Are you faulting Holland for not signing Hossa to the giant contract he got? Isn't not letting go of players who are overpriced the problem the team has now?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
If you don't see the difference in signing Hossa almost a decade ago and giving Justin Abdelkader 32 million dollars I really don't know what the gently caress to tell you

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Holden was kicked off the Avalanche after their abysmal year.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/966004641296146433

Sorry CAS, Gudbranson 3 years $12 mil

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If you don't see the difference in signing Hossa almost a decade ago and giving Justin Abdelkader 32 million dollars I really don't know what the gently caress to tell you

I do but I'm not sure what your point is... He made a hard decision of a talented guy who he got for a song the summer before but wanted long term security. Hossa was 30 when he signed his 12 year deal with Chicago. That's a bitter pill to swallow and while it worked out well for the Hawks, it was a serious risk. Signing Abdelkader to that deal is probably partly because he let Hossa walk and regretted it and didn't want to make the same mistake.

I'm not saying he's done a good job recently, I just don't get the retrospective iconoclasm of an era where the team had a bunch of success.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Okay but these are unrelated deals and also take place in two different time periods. I’ve already granted that Holland has been atrocious in the final Lidstrom year onward, and that his decline probably started around 2010. It’s just a fiction to say that Holland was an awful GM from 2006-2010 when, in fact, he oversaw two of the best Detroit rosters the franchise has ever seen.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

grack posted:

Nick Holden is bad, so I approve of him going to the Bruins

instant karma
https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/966004529283047424

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nick Holden has lots of hits. There it is.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's bad defenseman day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Honestly, not as awful as I feared. Still the wrong decision.

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/966005467922051072

I wish I got triple what I was worth because I said nice things every so often.

• Locked thread