Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

doctors ain't gonna proofread poo poo to make sure that racoon natural speed king hasn't turned their patient notes into pomo beat poetry

:agreed: a computer program is not worth poo poo on a planet where an assistant who can do medical transcription exists

ditto for paralegals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bu..bu..but deep learning ai natural language processing dr watson

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

your medical history posted:

Early sines of art hero scare oasis, wreck commend patient start on stat tins

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use the Google voice typing recognition thing on my phone all the time to make posts. It works with surprisingly high-reliability. Aside from the occasional weird capitalization or homophone interchange, it's pretty solid.

I made this post using that technique, for instance. No Corrections

The only really frustrating thing about Google's implementation is that you can't add quotation marks. If you try you get quote four score and seven years ago on quote.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I only use voice poo poo in my car

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how much domain specific technical language do you use in your posts? do you think this might affect the reliability of the text interpretation?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sagebrush posted:

I use the Google voice typing recognition thing on my phone all the time to make posts. It works with surprisingly high-reliability. Aside from the occasional weird capitalization or homophone interchange, it's pretty solid.

I made this post using that technique, for instance. No Corrections

The only really frustrating thing about Google's implementation is that you can't add quotation marks. If you try you get quote four score and seven years ago on quote.

u didn't need to hyphenate high-reliability TAKE THAT GOOGLE VOICE

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yes pause bwana tee age see

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

how much domain specific technical language do you use in your posts? do you think this might affect the reliability of the text interpretation?

Patient presented with gastric bacterial infection, coupled with peptic ulcers. Tetracycline should not be administered due to allergies

Seems fine

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

Patient presented with gastric bacterial infection, coupled with peptic ulcers. Tetracycline should not be administered due to allergies

Seems fine

now mumble it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Seems fine

now do that with my doctor's strong chinese accent, in his low mumbly voice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
now do it without pumping a bunch of patient medical records through a panopticon with unknown security

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm gay

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

a what now

aren't pokey keyboards still bog-standard?

yes, but you’ve just tweaked a bog standard keyboard. there’s not much preventing Apple or google from adding swipe capabilities to their built in keyboard and then it’s game over for you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im gay just doesn't seem right when it's all proper like that, google you suck

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
can't wait for reliable speech recognition so i can dictate text messages to my friends in real time. maybe the AI will be able to interpret my vocal tones to even translate my emotional state in emoticon form. telephones have come a long way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FCKGW posted:

yes, but you’ve just tweaked a bog standard keyboard. there’s not much preventing Apple or google from adding swipe capabilities to their built in keyboard and then it’s game over for you.

does google not already have swipe capabilities on its built in keyboard? if not what have i been using for the last like, 5 years :ohdear:

e: yeah i just checked and i'm using the google keyboard and i swipe to type all the time, are people talking about some other feature?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

can't wait for reliable speech recognition so i can dictate text messages to my friends in real time. maybe the AI will be able to interpret my vocal tones to even translate my emotional state in emoticon form. telephones have come a long way

I and everyone in my family, including my septuagenarian step mom, already do this. Welcome to Hell.

Google understood the word septuagenarian on the first try, by the way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I and everyone in my family, including my septuagenarian step mom, already do this. Welcome to Hell.

Google understood the word septuagenarian on the first try, by the way

do you do it in public

if so, why

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sure. I don't do it in like a quiet classroom or anything but if I'm just standing on the street corner? And the content isn't private? Why not

Everyone else talks to their phones and speaker mode now holding it up to their face like a Kardashian, so this is really not that different

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm home for lunch and literally the only one in my apartment besides my cat right now and i still said "im gay" real quiet on instinct because dictating poo poo is so fuckin' obnoxious

also i don't want my cat to think i'm an idiot :ohdear:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

does google not already have swipe capabilities on its built in keyboard? if not what have i been using for the last like, 5 years :ohdear:

e: yeah i just checked and i'm using the google keyboard and i swipe to type all the time, are people talking about some other feature?

nope, i installed swype more than 5 years ago and never looked back

This stent to post using the default keyboards isn't going at all eel but it's less sorghum thank I they've

That last word was supposed to be engender

Ferment

Remember

There we go

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
my first va doctor used dragon natural speaking because he was a slow typer and it was faster. he's now the director of medicine at a small alabama med school.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr. Nice! posted:

dragon natural speaking

wrong

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

nope, i installed swype more than 5 years ago and never looked back

i seem to remember a time when it didn't have it and i installed some third party one, but then they added it (i noticed after I got a new phone or reformatted or something) and didn't need the third party thing anymore :shrug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

i know racoon natural speed king, but it still worked pretty well for him.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i seem to remember a time when it didn't have it and i installed some third party one, but then they added it (i noticed after I got a new phone or reformatted or something) and didn't need the third party thing anymore :shrug:

See my edit

Also they default keyboard dilutes not have a ducking coma on it, I have time long press the period kept

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Everyone else talks to their phones and speaker mode now holding it up to their face like a Kardashian, so this is really not that different

:barf:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

when i was a kid my dad got a copy of dragon point n' speak or something like that and i played with it a bunch ("what if i could do homework assignments by just talking!!!!") and all i remember is you had to do like 4 solid hours of training, and the training was literally reading dilbert comics out loud

it still didn't work after all that and i gave up on my dream :sigh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Frankly I'm far less irritated by somebody talking to their phone to dictate a text message than by adult two-finger typers, iWatch Avengers héros everyday

I kept that one in because sometimes when the voice recognition fails, it's fails spectacularly. That was supposed to be quote of which I encounter several everyday on quote.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr. Nice! posted:

racoon natural speed king

thank you :)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

when i was a kid my dad got a copy of dragon point n' speak or something like that and i played with it a bunch ("what if i could do homework assignments by just talking!!!!") and all i remember is you had to do like 4 solid hours of training, and the training was literally reading dilbert comics out loud

it still didn't work after all that and i gave up on my dream :sigh:

natural speed king worked for me in like, 2000 or something, but i have a pretty boring ottawa "your parents are either from arnprior or the maritimes" accent

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it's kind of fascinating social phenomenon actually. They only do that on the show so that the camera can hear both sides of the conversation, but everybody sees the Kardashians doing that so now they've just started imitating them because that's how rich socialites in Beverly Hills use their phones, I guess, it's just the trend

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

seriously though why does the default keyboard lack a comma

is that just anroid lol or samsung being fucky

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

seriously though why does the default keyboard lack a comma

is that just anroid lol or samsung being fucky

the google keyboard has the comma right next to the spacebar for me :shrug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bad dragon naturally speaking

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is gboard not the default google keyboard or something (ignoring the usual samsung / lg / whatever crapware keyboard that's installed obv) because it's what i use and it seems to have all the features y'all are complaining about

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

never heard of it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

never heard of it

maybe i installed it and forgot? i don't think i did i'm pretty sure my phone just came with it installed (and disabled, with the lovely LG keyboard installed and enabled by default)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i haven't installed a keyboard on my phone in like 5 years of stock android phones. they all have swype knockoff and commas or whatever.