Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Momomo posted:

Luxord has the power to control time and still decided gambling was the way to go with fighting, of course he isn't gonna be in the logical game.

I believe that he was referring to the fact that Luxord'a weapon is cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luxord is amazing because he's Nomura's favorite org. XIII member and somehow is the only member who's name is never actually mentioned.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

bizarre deformity posted:

Yeah, this.

Funky Valentine posted:

Luxord is amazing because he's Nomura's favorite org. XIII member and somehow is the only member who's name is never actually mentioned.
Is that actually true? If anything it seems like Axel is Nomura's favorite, for obvious reasons.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Yeah, this.

Is that actually true? If anything it seems like Axel is Nomura's favorite, for obvious reasons.

Axel is the fandom's favorite, that's why he became a good guy.

Luxord, Larxene and Demyx are the only Org members whose somebodies haven't shown up yet.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Oh I know, I'm just saying the guy is hosed all around.

The real answer is probably that he hadn't been conceived as a character yet.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Luxord, Larxene and Demyx are the only Org members whose somebodies haven't shown up yet.

I like this 100% correct guess as to what their real names are:

quote:

Luxord and Demyx. Dr. Lou and Y. E. MD. They worked together.

also Larxene is probably Arlene or Relena

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think he’s actually the developers’ favorite, which is the stated reason why he survived CoM and the tutorial of KHII.

The good guy stuff then came because the fandom loved him of course.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

I think he’s actually the developers’ favorite, which is the stated reason why he survived CoM and the tutorial of KHII.

The good guy stuff then came because the fandom loved him of course.

Didn't the developers say that he was straight up supposed to die after that Roxas fight, but he got so popular with the fans that he got new scenes and stuff added at the last minute?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Didn't the developers say that he was straight up supposed to die after that Roxas fight, but he got so popular with the fans that he got new scenes and stuff added at the last minute?

I’ve heard that he was supposed to die in CoM too, but that’s probably as likely.

I know that of the CoM guys, Axel has my favorite design (even if I like Larxene more just because not another nicey nice female character). I wish Lea kept the eye tats.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Axel because Quinton Flynn gives such a dorky performance.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I've never liked Axel, ever since I first played II. His further appearances just cemented him as my most disliked Kingdom Hearts character.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You got all his appearances memorized?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

He’s not like. My favorite or anything, but I like him well enough and want to see what they do with him in KHIII.

(My favorite is Riku, because I’m a basic bitch.)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
These gummi ship missions in KHFM are so bad why do they exist

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You're only a true kingdom hearts master if you've beaten them all on Proud and gotten the gold crown.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lessail posted:

These gummi ship missions in KHFM are so bad why do they exist

ALL Gumi Ship missions are bad. ALL Shmups are bad.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Excuse you, Assault of the Dreadnought is the hypest poo poo ever. Org. 13 has arrayed their entire space armada to stop this one little ship and you plow right through them.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kheldarn posted:

ALL Gumi Ship missions are bad. ALL Shmups are bad.
No way, the ones in II are great.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

No way, the ones in II are great.

No they're still pretty bad. They also take longer (assuming you didn't have a heavy/slow ship in kh1)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like the Gummi missions in II. Not all of them, but some of them (like the Dreadnought) are fun even on a replay. Which I have to believe since I'm currently fighting the urge to pick up 1+2 HD on my PS4. My PS3 is dying and I want more Kingdom Hearts in my life.

My favorite is Sora because I am beyond a basic bitch. Axel is cool and all, but he's not my fave. I would've been fine if he stayed dead after KH2. Or Chain, really.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Demyx's original name is Demy

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm sure this get's asked a million times, but I didn't see anything specifically about it in the OP.

I played KH1 & 2 at release. I was one of the many who was confused as gently caress at release of 2, having no idea what happened because I didn't play Chain of Memories.

I want my wife to be able to experience KH, as I feel she would really like the games. I'm thinking of getting that 1.5+2.5 PS4 release.

So a few questions -

I know a couple of the game are just movies. Are any of the non KH 1/2 games worth dumping a bunch of time into or can I find "movie" versions of those games out there somewhere?

Apparently there's a 2.8 something? How does that fit into this all? If I get this: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/kingdom-hearts-hd-15-25-remix-ps4/ - am I still missing out on some content?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

I know a couple of the game are just movies. Are any of the non KH 1/2 games worth dumping a bunch of time into or can I find "movie" versions of those games out there somewhere?

Apparently there's a 2.8 something? How does that fit into this all? If I get this: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/kingdom-hearts-hd-15-25-remix-ps4/ - am I still missing out on some content?
Only 358/2 Days and Coded are movies. I'd personally play the rest of the games, they tend to be worth it.

2.8 is another collection like the 1.5 and 2.5 release. This has the Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover film, set right before the Keyblade War, Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage, a sort of demo for Kingdom Hearts III and follows Aqua in the Realm of Darkness, and Dream Drop Distance HD.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unless your wife really likes watching incredibly stupid people do stupid things I recommend play 1, watch COM on youtube, play 2, then watch the rest.

DDD isn't fun and BBS is insanely overrated (caveat, I haven't played the remasters, but all the mechanics that make those games nowhere near as fun or action packed as 1/2 are still in place)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bust Rodd posted:

Unless your wife really likes watching incredibly stupid people do stupid things I recommend play 1, watch COM on youtube, play 2, then watch the rest.

DDD isn't fun and BBS is insanely overrated (caveat, I haven't played the remasters, but all the mechanics that make those games nowhere near as fun or action packed as 1/2 are still in place)

Yeah, I guess a lot just depends on how long these games are. If stuff like DDD and BBS are 8-10 hour experiences, then cool. However, if they are 40 hour games, no thanks.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Lol that BBS was designed for the PSP

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My wife enjoyed the cutscenes in KH, KHII & BBS but found CoM super boring because the worthwhile cutscenes are only between worlds so you have to slog though a bunch of boring poo poo to get to them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Your mileage may vary, I love the poo poo out of DDD and BBS. Though yes, they are full sized games. The shortest is CoM at about 15 hour’s for both stories with minimal grinding, but ugh. CoM.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked BBS and thought it actually retroactively made KH2 make sense. Still convoluted as heck, but followable--up until Nomura realized the story was getting too easy to follow and invented DDD.

Now, if you want to catch up on the Kingdom Hearts story (lol), you should watch this very short 3 hour video which I'm sure all true fans have done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bo6Cbeq18k&t=3621s

Argue fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 23, 2018

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
DDD is really fun though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BBS is almost as good as 2

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shoehead posted:

DDD is really fun though.

Sakurazuka posted:

BBS is almost as good as 2

these are both true

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
BbS is a more evenly crafted whole compared to 2, albeit limited by its original hardware. 2 has better core gameplay but I actually had a more enjoyable time going through BbS overall. KH2 is unparalleled only in the endgame but that’s such a small slice of your overall playtime.

I don’t trust anybody trying to write off BbS entirely and immediately suspect they listen to KH2 speedrunner opinions on the series too much. Despite its limits it absolutely has qualities that stand out in the series

Nina fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 23, 2018

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nina posted:

BbS is a more evenly crafted whole compared to 2, albeit limited by its original hardware. 2 has better core gameplay but I actually had a more enjoyable time going through BbS overall. KH2 is unparalleled only in the endgame but that’s such a small slice of your overall playtime.

Birth By Sleep and DDD are more fun initially but kind of fall apart at higher levels of play.

Re:Coded has, amusingly, the best incarnation of the Command Deck System.

Nina posted:

I don’t trust anybody trying to dunk on BbS and immediately suspect they listen to KH2 speedrunner opinions on the series too much

I dunno, the flaws in the way the games play get pretty evident if you play on Critical. Bosses complete lack of hitstun really takes the fun out of using all the commands the game gives you.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
”Higher levels of play” is the key here. There’s no reason to tell someone playing through the series casually to skip those games

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I dunno, the flaws in the way the games play get pretty evident if you play on Critical. Bosses complete lack of hitstun really takes the fun out of using all the commands the game gives you.

I feel like this is way more of an issue for 3D than BbS, but then I also don't play on critical

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Nina posted:

I don’t trust anybody trying to write off BbS entirely and immediately suspect they listen to KH2 speedrunner opinions on the series too much. Despite its limits it absolutely has wualities that stand out in the series

Even before looking at KH speeruns, I really didn't enjoy BBS gameplay very much, and neither did my other friend who was going through the KH games. I actually like the story, but none of the bosses were ever actually fun in terms of gameplay, and the mob fights were less fun than fighting stuff in KH1 which was already kinda slow (if you didn't use magic). The one thing I did like was that grinding commands/melding commands was surprisingly easy to do when you knew a tiny bit about what to do, but that didn't exactly translate to having fun like I did with KH1/2 normal gameplay.

This post is disingenuous to insinuate that only speedrun followers will dislike BBS.

morallyobjected posted:

I feel like this is way more of an issue for 3D than BbS, but then I also don't play on critical

It's true for both games, basically. I'd just say it's easier to deal with early in BBS because of the way command melding works vs getting abilities from spirits in DDD. It's just plain easier to get something decent in BBS, where as at least I had to wait a couple of worlds in DDD before getting ballonra. But once you get balloonra, that's all you need, where as you have to work a little harder to get a deck full of surges/whatever in BBS.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly after my recent play through of the series(which admittedly was far from complete as I didn't beat 1 due to Ansem second fight, only made it about an hour or so into COM before losing my patience with it, my 2 run got stonewalled by the Roxas fight, I only made it about an hour or two into BBS before I lost interest, and I still haven't touched 3D or 2.8) I'd say every game has massive flaws in how they play, albeit for different reasons in each game(1 & 2 in particular have huge issues in regards to both being absolute misers in giving you money or items, and both have huge issues in how they handle MP too, as well as how 2 handles filling the Drive Gauge)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BBS has multiple fights with Vanitas, one of the most fun bosses to fight in the series who also has one of the best boss music tracks.

Actually I think a lot of the boss fights in that game not called Mysterious Figure are fun and fair and require some actual strategizing. So what I'm saying is I couldn't disagree more about BBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

BBS has multiple fights with Vanitas, one of the most fun bosses to fight in the series who also has one of the best boss music tracks.

If by "most fun fights in the series", you mean the exact opposite, then sure yeah. It's cool that vanitas is weak to differing status effects at different points in the story. It's not cool that the base fight is Vanitas randomly teleporting out of any normal combos or commands you try to do.

His music is indeed killer tho

Actually I think a lot of the boss fights in that game not called Mysterious Figure are fun and fair and require some actual strategizing. So what I'm saying is I couldn't disagree more about BBS.

Does either Maleficent fight really require any strategizing? The Zack fights? Heck, even a fight I sorta liked in the Metamorphosis unversed really was kinda simple stuff

None of the fights made me feel like I really learned anything about the bosses attacks themselves, I could just run around using whatever commands, and as long as I had 2-3 cures I'd never die. The only time this doesn't work is against Terranort and optional bosses, which in one way is good but they have a myriad of other issues. Level 1 critical doesn't really change this up at all.

KH1 had a similar issue for some fights that are too straightforward, but at least you couldn't dodge roll away forever until your cures came back, so you had to pay a little attention to actually dodging poo poo.