Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Staples tech support is so bad that even geek squad makes fun of them

Let that sink in for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Renegret posted:

Office manager sent the Staples office supply rep to me. Wants to quote us on Dell and other technology needs, and quotes us on a VoIP system....

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We get our coffee from Staples. It's awful. I can't imagine they will do MSP any better than coffee.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Looks like the Staples MSP is just a re-branded MSP out of Toronto called Jolera. I haven't found customer reviews of them, but employee reviews are bog standard MSP. Either "This is the worst place on Earth!" or "Im from HR and was told to give us a 5* rating"

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blackswordca posted:

Looks like the Staples MSP is just a re-branded MSP out of Toronto called Jolera. I haven't found customer reviews of them, but employee reviews are bog standard MSP. Either "This is the worst place on Earth!" or "Im from HR and was told to give us a 5* rating"

"Excellent place to start, Excellent place to leave"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

Did you know that Bruce Willis was dead the entire time in Sixth Sense?

NOOOO!!!!

You monster!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Proteus Jones posted:

NOOOO!!!!

You monster!

The real monster is Luke Skywalker's father, Darth Vader.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

blackswordca posted:

Years ago I applied at Staples to be a tech.. they told me I had to sit on a till for 1 year before I could do it.

This happened to me as well when I was in younger. I applied as a tech, but the interview was a bait and switch to work on the floor. They also told me I have to work up to a tech and that the one guy in their Tech Center was tough competition.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Just watched this tonight. It's amazing, but trigger warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_IG4DeedB4

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

I was pretty drat awesome. I couldn't even step outside for a break or cross the parking lot to go to work without customers fishing for answers.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Samizdata posted:

I was pretty drat awesome. I couldn't even step outside for a break or cross the parking lot to go to work without customers fishing for answers.

Yeah I didn't mean anything personal. I did two years at geek squad and I assumed Staples was similar. A few pretty good people hamstrung by sales focused management and lovely co-workers because the job is about making money, not fixing poo poo.

e: and zero training holy poo poo.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 17, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

oh rly posted:

This happened to me as well when I was in younger. I applied as a tech, but the interview was a bait and switch to work on the floor. They also told me I have to work up to a tech and that the one guy in their Tech Center was tough competition.
Same, with the added joy of my hiring manager being gone by the time I actually started. Cluster gently caress of a job I was at for way too long.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

Yeah I didn't mean anything personal. I did two years at geek squad and I assumed Staples was similar. A few pretty good people hamstrung by sales focused management and lovely co-workers because the job is about making money, not fixing poo poo.

e: and zero training holy poo poo.

They had training? (And actually, my management was pretty good. They tried to take care of the floor staff and never fired anyone when we tried to have a little fun (like, when the periodic ink cart shoplifting gangs would come around, we one time hid the entire roller shelving in a side room, then told the manager they rolled it right into a truck) or the time they hard a catered breakfast brought in for anyone that wanted some (with advance notice for the non-daytime people).

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I actually got a current though my middle finger plugging a cord into a USB-A v3 port. I smooshed it riiiiight into the contacts as they energized lol. :science:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Hello, I binged Mr Robot over the weekend and it was amazing. Thank you guys for the push to just watch it.

Season 2 Big spoiler
I did not see the jail coming. I suspected that perhaps he was in an institution. But not jail.
Onto Season 3!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sefal posted:

Hello, I binged Mr Robot over the weekend and it was amazing. Thank you guys for the push to just watch it.

Season 2 Big spoiler
I did not see the jail coming. I suspected that perhaps he was in an institution. But not jail.
Onto Season 3!

Yesssssss. I know quite a few people who have up partway through s2. Once I finished it I strongly encouraged them to as well.

I loved s3 so much. I think it dug a lot deeper into the humanity of everything and more than a few scenes hit me directly in the feels.

Work chat: I get to figure out how to make KVM on ppc64le work today because this box I got can't be used for what I thought it could, so now it's just a toy.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Crossposting here from the VMware thread:

We have a handful of overseas developers using Visual Studio and a few other dev programs inside of a Windows 10 Horizon View pool I had setup at the request of a previous boss. Those devs are going to need to start using Docker for Windows as well, so I am testing a deployment in another pool to see how it will run (hint: it's bad).

We have a pretty basic setup with each user having a single writable app volume for all of the data/software activation/whatever they would happen to change locally. Everything else is baked into the master VM.

Has anyone dealt with this or anything similar? At this point I'm looking into a manual pool with assigned virtual or even physical desktops because the performance is so bad and the use of writable volumes has introduced a ton of small quirks with logging on/off. I'm just starting to toy with app volume exclusions as well.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Gosh darnit I've spent weeks trying to figure out why the hell certain people can't access 365 from Outlook clients and why they can't authenticate, even got to the point where we would just flatten or replace machines for the sake of working.

Turns out certain people have their IE Internet Options set to use an automatic configuration script which is either defunct or missing, gently caress knows how/why its there but switching it off made things work again.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
A ticket came in for one of our apps

Sure, ok.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Close ticket. Resolution: "OK."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Can you attach images to the ticket?

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Issues going on this morning:

* Users unable to log into iPads they use to have patients do paperwork.
* Two users received firewalls to connect to the VPN at home. They did not receive power cords. Also, their firewalls were not configured correctly by our network techs.
* Users unable to log into scheduling program.
* Users unable to resend scans to the radiology program.
* Network running slow/VPN going down repeatedly for center that had network work done on it last night.
* Users unable to log into insurance program.

Issues I need to work on to resolve: 0

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

quote:

Subject: How Often Does Cisco Scan for Viruses?
Request Detail: I need this info asap for DMV use agreement purposes. Is it weekly? Please confirm. Thanks!

I have literally no idea what the gently caress she is talking about. We have Cisco switches and ASA's but that's about it :shrug:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have literally no idea what the gently caress she is talking about. We have Cisco switches and ASA's but that's about it :shrug:

Just reply with "Yes. Weekly."

The people asking the question have no idea what they are asking and are making a box to tick.
The people answering the question have no idea what they are being asked and are ticking a box.

Since no knowledgeable person is making a learned decision based on anything remotely based in reality, you could answer "Yes. Purple" and it would have as much business impact.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Cisco probably runs an antivirus on their servers and workstations so it would be reasonable to say "they scan for viruses daily" because someone probably does.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Just reply with "Yes. Weekly."

The people asking the question have no idea what they are asking and are making a box to tick.
The people answering the question have no idea what they are being asked and are ticking a box.

Since no knowledgeable person is making a learned decision based on anything remotely based in reality, you could answer "Yes. Purple" and it would have as much business impact.

:discourse:

This is the key to dealing with stuff like this. Push back and it ties up your time. Make up some poo poo and it goes away, and nobody cares anyway.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

and nobody cares anyway.

Until the moment Something Has Gone Wrong. Then papertrail becomes suddenly exceptionally important.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

18 Character Limit posted:

Until the moment Something Has Gone Wrong. Then papertrail becomes suddenly exceptionally important.

Phrase it better. "I can confirm we scan for viruses weekly". Make true statements an let them put the word "cisco" in there.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

18 Character Limit posted:

Doubly so if you're in an industry that has audit requirements.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

For sure just saying "yeah" to dumb questions to make them stop wasting your time can bite you in the rear end if they come back two years later with your email and go "SEE THE I.T. MAN SAID THE CISCO SCANS FOR VIRUSES! IT'S HIS FAULT"

and then you're fired for a dumb as hell reason

Jaded Burnout posted:

Phrase it better. "I can confirm we scan for viruses weekly". Make true statements an let them put the word "cisco" in there.

Is a better answer that doesn't expose you to future stupidity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

Actually this, I changed my mind

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So it turns out people will leave valuables in the actual recycling bin and expect them not to be thrown out:

http://www.askamanager.org/2018/02/my-boss-suggests-hiring-her-boyfriend-for-everything-someone-threw-out-my-boots-and-more.html

quote:

2. Someone threw out my boots

I have a question about lost property and responsibility for it. When I come into my office, I wear snow boots that I take off and leave in my recycling bin so they don’t get the carpet wet. I have other shoes at my office that I change into. I was under the weather on Wednesday and wasn’t really myself. After I left the office, I realized I had walked out in my office shoes and not the snow boots. I worked remotely the next day since I was still not feeling great, and when I arrived on Friday there was nothing in my recycling bin.

I’m afraid that my boots were thrown away by the cleaning staff, which would be really upsetting — they were expensive and I’ve only had them for a few months. I reached out to the person who manages the property and she also thinks they were probably thrown away. Had I been thinking clearly, I definitely wouldn’t have left them, but I also can’t understand why someone would have thrown them away rather than erring on the side of caution and thinking, “These don’t actually look like garbage.”

The janitorial team is contracted through a vendor and are not employed by my company. Does anyone have an obligation to me here? I just can’t believe that a momentary lapse in memory resulted in my $140 boots being thrown in the garbage.

No, I’m sorry. I totally get why this is upsetting — it sucks! But … well, you left them in the recycling bin, so it’s understandable that the people in charge of emptying recycling bins assumed they were being thrown out. It’s not that different than if you’d put them in your trash can and they’d gotten thrown away. They aren’t expected to double-check that the things in trash and recycling bins are really meant to be there. You could certainly try contacting the janitorial vendor on the off chance that they know anything about the boots, but if they don’t, there’s no standing here to ask anyone to compensate you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote:

but I also can’t understand why someone would have thrown them away rather than erring on the side of caution and thinking, “These don’t actually look like garbage.”

Because they aren’t being paid anywhere near enough to to make judgement calls, you idiot. If they have to start making judgement calls on whether poo poo is trash or not, then they’ll likely take longer to do their job and get in trouble. Christ sake, you thundering moron.

I hope she also stores stuff in her trash in email, and then it gets “accidentally deleted”. And I hope IT laughs at her when she asks if “some judgement could be applied” before it’s gone forever.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Imagine the hell that person would raise if the cleaning staff took something that they thought weren't trash and put it on his/her desk. I bet the person would not be happy that they were erring on the side of caution then.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Our janitor used to do that and the end result was a four-month pass-agg war between me and him through the office manager over whether or not a certain brand of CD case was recyclable and would I please stop putting them in my trash bin every day after he took them out and put them on my desk. By the end of it I had like four litres of cases I would just drag into the bin in the morning out of sheer stubbornness.

I won though

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Ghostlight posted:

Our janitor used to do that and the end result was a four-month pass-agg war between me and him through the office manager over whether or not a certain brand of CD case was recyclable and would I please stop putting them in my trash bin every day after he took them out and put them on my desk. By the end of it I had like four litres of cases I would just drag into the bin in the morning out of sheer stubbornness.

I won though

why did you not talk to them?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:spergin:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Most likely is that like many offices, cleaning staff only come through when everyone's gone for the day.

Second-best explanation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Most likely is that like many offices, cleaning staff only come through when everyone's gone for the day.

As far as I'm concerned, my trash can is emptied by magic faeries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If I saw what looked like a new pair of boots in the trash, I would assume that they were there for a good reason, probably involving disgusting body fluids.