Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

B36 I can't respond to a post with multiple nested quotes so I will concede you are correct.

My strategy has worked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sometimes you can trade Gail Goodrich and Junior Bridgeman for Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul Jabbar

That's the better way to do it: everyone agrees.

(I know the trade for Goodrich wasn't a straight up swap)

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

:cawg:

The Lakers were blatantly tanking during Scott's last year.

And what has it got them? A deeply flawed PG, and a couple other draft picks that they're trying to or have already traded away.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

The B_36 posted:

Say what you will about Cuban (he's a good owner imo), but he's got a point. We've all mostly jumped on the Sixers bandwagon and deified Hinkie, but much like with how OKC built their Finals team a few years ago (ie lucky with draft picks), it's not a very repeatable process. I've always hated when fans look at their team and realize they won't reach the Finals this year so they think they should tank for draft picks. That's not to say you should sign a bunch of average vets every year just to field a respectable team, but if even 5 NBA teams did what the Sixers did, it would destroy the league pretty quickly.

this is funny cause a pretty commonly held opinion here just a year ago is that the sixers were pretty unlucky with their picks. they ended up with a billion big men and a bunch of injured, flawed players. and now ben simmons. it seems entirely repeatable, infact your expected results are probably slightly better than what the sixers got?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ghost Dog posted:

this is funny cause a pretty commonly held opinion here just a year ago is that the sixers were pretty unlucky with their picks. they ended up with a billion big men and a bunch of injured, flawed players. and now ben simmons. it seems entirely repeatable, infact your expected results are probably slightly better than what the sixers got?

They also picks still on the way. Well one more.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The B_36 posted:

And what has it got them? A deeply flawed PG, and a couple other draft picks that they're trying to or have already traded away.

So did they tank or not ??? because you just repeatedly claimed that they've "never tanked".

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember some :smug: article about the Mavs 5 or so years ago about how they reloaded instead of rebuilt because Cuban is a genius that zigs when everyone zags and therefore hits on market inefficiencies like Monta Ellis

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember some :smug: article about the Mavs 5 or so years ago about how they reloaded instead of rebuilt because Cuban is a genius that zigs when everyone zags and therefore hits on market inefficiencies like Monta Ellis

Yeah.

That's why I posted the Tweet; he was incredibly strident and vocal about how bad tanking is.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

So did they tank or not ??? because you just repeatedly claimed that they've "never tanked".

I only said it once actually. They won all their championships when they didn't tank, you brought up that they tanked in Scott's final year. If you want to say that they tanked for a year or two, then it seems reasonable for me to point out that since that time they've not only sucked but they also have little to show for it.

How many teams have blatantly tanked and gone on to win a ring because of it? The Spurs 20+ years ago? Is that it? Where are we getting the idea that blatant tanking has the highest chance of success? What is that based on? The Spurs have had a few seasons since getting Duncan where people thought they should tear it down and tank for picks, but they didn't and won rings anyway. The Sixers aren't (yet) a success story for tanking.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I literally cannot imagine a more insufferable arguement

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The B_36 posted:

The Sixers still haven't done anything with The Process tho

They are packing an arena with enthusiastic fans in what can best be described as a playoff atmosphere for every regular season game. They may not have won anything, but they are fun to watch and can compete with most teams in the NBA on any given night.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

You mean the one we've had about 647 times in the last 3 years :cheeky:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, if Embiid gets hurt the Sixers will look a lot worse, but right now they gave away one of their top three picks because he flopped, and the recent #1 overall they traded up for isn't even playing because he forgot how to shoot, and yet they've still elevated into the playoffs, and have a pretty good salary cap situation going on (almost 40m under next year). The Process did a nice job rebuilding even without having to hit on every pick.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yes, I also hate talking about basketball here in the basketball thread.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
stats.nba.com released boxout metrics

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

do the cavs count as tanking? i mean they didnt win a ring because of their tanking but they did win a ring after fixing the draft odds a bunch

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

euphronius posted:

Sometimes you can trade Gail Goodrich and Junior Bridgeman for Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul Jabbar

That's the better way to do it: everyone agrees.

(I know the trade for Goodrich wasn't a straight up swap)

Trade your chaff for Jimmy Harden, then a few years later trade a beloved player and a godlike Lou Williams for CP3 with those two moves sandwiching improbably discovering an elite swiss center in the latter part of the first round

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The things that helped make the Lakers a perennial contender aren't applicable to most teams.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

do the cavs count as tanking? i mean they didnt win a ring because of their tanking but they did win a ring after fixing the draft odds a bunch
Definitely

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

strategically place your team near the hometown of the future GOAT seems the best way to win. or make your star become best friends with the goat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The B_36 posted:

I only said it once actually. They won all their championships when they didn't tank, you brought up that they tanked in Scott's final year. If you want to say that they tanked for a year or two, then it seems reasonable for me to point out that since that time they've not only sucked but they also have little to show for it.

How many teams have blatantly tanked and gone on to win a ring because of it? The Spurs 20+ years ago? Is that it? Where are we getting the idea that blatant tanking has the highest chance of success? What is that based on? The Spurs have had a few seasons since getting Duncan where people thought they should tear it down and tank for picks, but they didn't and won rings anyway. The Sixers aren't (yet) a success story for tanking.

The goal of the process is to get superstars through FA
, trades and the Draft . That's because superstars are how you win championships. Saying they aren't a success because they haven't won a ring is goal post moving.

Thus the process is already a success and still has more left to go through another pick and a max slot for a trade or FA

Before process : no superstars
After process : two with a chance for a couple more

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, if Embiid gets hurt the Sixers will look a lot worse, but right now they gave away one of their top three picks because he flopped, and the recent #1 overall they traded up for isn't even playing because he forgot how to shoot, and yet they've still elevated into the playoffs, and have a pretty good salary cap situation going on (almost 40m under next year). The Process did a nice job rebuilding even without having to hit on every pick.

Exactly

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Assuming Beverley stayed healthy and Lou played like he has been for the Clippers: are the Rockets better this year without making the CP3 trade?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

stats.nba.com released boxout metrics

Okc number 1 hell yeah

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The B_36 posted:

Yes, I also hate talking about basketball here in the basketball thread.

Oh weird I didnt know basketball was a pissing match to see who tanks more between the lakers and the 76ers. Learn something new everyday

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
weird it's almost like in the NBA all you need is one great player to be a playoff team.

And almost everything you do should be in service of finding and developing said great player.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh weird I didnt know basketball was a pissing match to see who tanks more between the lakers and the 76ers. Learn something new everyday

All sports fandom eventually boils down to a pissing match of some kind or another

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah the whole Process == Tanking really bugs me when it’s definitely more like Process.indexOf(Tanking) > -1 is the more true evaluation.

Accumulating top picks was a big part, yes. But it was also finding late talent and developing them into nba level contributors (Covington, TJ McConnell). It thirdly was shedding contracts and keeping 1-2 year deals for most of the roster so that when your draft hit, you would be in position cap wise to potentially sign another star.

The Sixers did all that in spades. With one Bayless move they’ll have max money to add a piece to Embiid/Simmons (Fultz? Dario?)

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

, trades and the Draft . That's because superstars are how you win championships. Saying they aren't a success because they haven't won a ring is goal post moving.

Thus the process is already a success and still has more left to go through another pick and a max slot for a trade or FA

Getting superstars thru FA, trades and the draft is how every NBA club has ever built a team, that isn't some revolutionary new idea that Sam Hinkie came up with. Your definition of The Process is so broad it includes literally every single transaction ever made in NBA history. And saying they don't have to actually win anything for The Process to be vindicated is pretty hardcore goal post moving.

The Process certainly can work, I'm not denying that. But just because it can work doesn't mean it's automatically the best way of doing it. Previous history would suggest that there are other, more effective ways.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The B_36 posted:

Previous history would suggest that there are other, more effective ways.

I prefer looking upon Future History when building an argument

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ric Bucher might be a lurker.
https://twitter.com/RicBucher/status/966018170757644288

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lmao at the legendary "process" boiling down to "Tank but also run your team well"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

aBagorn posted:

Accumulating top picks was a big part, yes. But it was also finding late talent and developing them into nba level contributors (Covington, TJ McConnell).

This was my initial complaint about what the Sixers were doing, but those late finds are good and better than what most bad teams (like the Kings) have gotten with their lottery picks so I've come around.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

lmao at the legendary "process" boiling down to "Tank but also run your team well"

Surprisingly hard for NBA teams and probably not allowed anymore due to Silver making an example of Hinkie . If you want to tank these days it seems you have to sign some huge garbage deals for veterans in order to stave off a Colangelo like takeover.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intentionally sucking for years so you can one day vie for the 8 seed in the east doesn't seem like the greatest thing for fans to watch

e: Yes I get the irony of an Astros fan saying this

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 20, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's literally just get as many assets as possible to maximize the chance to get a superstar

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

The whole premise was that being a perennial 8-5 seed was one of the worst places to be and that unless you are a title contender you should try to be literally the worst team in the league. They're obviously promising but they're also a 7 seed so until they actually take that next step to being a contender declaring victory already seems like the actual goal post shifting here?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are way closer to winning a title than in 2012 when they made the semis.

Way way way closer. Even closer than 2013 when the owners started the process before Hinkie even arrived.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

And as Euphronius pointed out, it's even more hosed up that "running your team well" basically means don't invest large sums of money in older players who'll spend the back half of their contract on a downhill slide.

The other owners and Silver killed him, but the big name agents were equally culpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tanking is a tragedy of the commons type thing. I get why teams do it, I get why it's necessary, I get the appeal, I get the strategy, I want the Kings to do it, all of that. But if half the teams in the league were all blatantly The Processing it then it wouldn't work.

• Locked thread