Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

meatpotato posted:

my advice to all is don’t compromise your principles in work. don’t work for idiots, don’t make idiotic products. best case is you’ll regret it. worst case is you’ll become an idiot.

I clicked the 'NICE!' button on this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

jony neuemonic posted:

i think i just hate working tbqh.

:yossame:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think I might finally be leaving this shitshow of a job in ~3mo. And thank god.

Not even going to think about getting another job for another 3mo after that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
this week i'll probably get an offer from a company that would allow me to leave the sinking ship i'm at now, otoh i really want some downtime (spent my last substantial "vacation" looking for a job) and there's other goals that this job wouldn't allow me to realize and gee whiz i'm getting old

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gazpacho posted:

this week i'll probably get an offer from a company that would allow me to leave the sinking ship i'm at now, otoh i really want some downtime (spent my last substantial "vacation" looking for a job) and there's other goals that this job wouldn't allow me to realize and gee whiz i'm getting old

ask them for a start date beginning sometime after you’ve left your current job. if you’re in the US remember that if you leave at the beginning of the month your health insurance is still good for the entire month.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TimWinter posted:

I clicked the 'NICE!' button on this post.

NICE :)

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pollyanna posted:

im not good enough to work for non-idiots

not with that attitude!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

meatpotato posted:

not with that attitude!!

youre right :unsmith: but what use can a lovely half-rails half-react developer be? well im sure i can learn and im sure i am useful somehow

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Agreeing with the I hate working post.

Am I an idiot for reading indiehackers.com day dreaming about bootstrapping my own retarded B2B SaaS app? Has anyone in this forum done this

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

youre right :unsmith: but what use can a lovely half-rails half-react developer be? well im sure i can learn and im sure i am useful somehow

you can always learn a new thing. i started on php.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

meatpotato posted:

ask them for a start date beginning sometime after you’ve left your current job. if you’re in the US remember that if you leave at the beginning of the month your health insurance is still good for the entire month.
i don't particularly want to work at this company though, interesting as the work may be it's not in line with my technical direction

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My technical direction is cold hard cash from the highest bidder

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Valeyard posted:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

meatpotato posted:

this is definitely not true in all circumstances. i've kept in touch with a few people who left my current company, and apparently here, you lose it the day you leave.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
updated my linked in with a few choice keywords, now all the lovely recruiters are rolling in.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dongslayer. posted:

:same:

in two months my school schedule will change and i will most likely try to transition to a computer job. started looking at entry
level stuff to get a feel and one of the titles was code ninja. sobering reminder of what im getting myself into.
get on it! New grad positions for May/June are filling up by now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jony neuemonic posted:

you can always learn a new thing. i started on php.

im considering learning SRE work which is apparently a bunch of linux work and containers n poo poo, but i always learn on the job so you need a job to get good enough for a job and aaaaaaaaaaaa

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

interview today wish me lukk

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

interview today wish me lukk
godspeed

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wish me luck in writing an implementation of merge sort

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just just bogo sort

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there was a story the other day on bbc ws about the future of AI interviewing

also Laszlo Bock had a bit on it and it was a good reminder that afaik everything he ever talks about, google never did, so idgi how he keeps getting to run around using that position as a source of prestige for this knowledge

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have to interview someone soon and i have no idea what im doing. what should i ask them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ask them to sketch out the problem they solved that they’re most proud of

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

i have to interview someone soon and i have no idea what im doing. what should i ask them

what level position

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a guy above me lol. hes gonna be the technology lead on my platform

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

is it disingenuous to market myself as 2 years of rails exp if I haven’t touched it in over a year?

cause I’m paranoid of people asking me obscure rails trivia as a screening/technical q

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What exactly is it this guy needs to do? I'd recommend looking at the job description and building the interview very specifically around that. Think about what level of incompetence you really don't want your future lead to have and carve out some questions to expose that. Give him a hard real world problem to solve, preferably something you've seen on the job, and see how he handles it. Ideally he should come to a similar or better conclusion that your team/old lead did.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Valeyard posted:

ymmv but i've found that leads to being hired again and again to do what you've already done and then be shut out when those technologies become unfashionable

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

is it disingenuous to market myself as 2 years of rails exp if I haven’t touched it in over a year?

cause I’m paranoid of people asking me obscure rails trivia as a screening/technical q
answer truthfully and let fate take its course

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't market my skills in terms of years, just either strong or familiar. Unless of course the job description is very specific about it, then I'll put the years explicitly in the cover letter.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

you suffered rails and ruby for 2 years and by god you should put it in your resume if you are seeking a rails or ruby job

if you're worried about interview questions just do some rails poo poo until you remember

if you are worried about looking dishonest or something put the date of the job where you used rails. though i advice against putting dates in resumes since it makes them look dated.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yeah I basically just think through the basics of rails stuff before I do interviews, but I get nervous people will ask me about STI or sth

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

though i advice against putting dates in resumes since it makes them look dated.

can’t tell if this is a pun or not

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cause there’s a lot about rails and some of that poo poo I’ve just never had to use or care about do I look like a dope if they ask me about it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
experience is the currency of the job market. if you don't wave your experience around, what else have you got?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you are worried about looking dishonest or something put the date of the job where you used rails. though i advice against putting dates in resumes since it makes them look dated.

:crossarms:

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
re: startup chat

I have a skillset that apparently makes me attractive to a lot of nanotech and bioengineering startups. I worked at one such company with people I knew and was close to near the end of my undergrad and hooo boy capitalism is a gently caress. Even worse, it's someone else's get-rich-quick scheme. The idea was shaky at best and, despite suspecting this, I still pursued it for garbage wages and research experience.

It yielded a "presented to non-technical audiences including C-level executives" line on my resume. I mean they had PhDs but they were clearly worthless in this new context.

I learned a lot about dealing with people and sniffing out bullshit that year. I also learned that my pessimism was a reflection of reality -- 95% + companies talking about graphene, nanotubes, nano needles, are bullshit vaporware that will never come to fruition.

My startup checklist: only if it's mine and a form of early retirement.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cynicism is a great substitute for experience

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qhat posted:

Cynicism is a great substitute for experience

Experience is knowledge plus cynicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I gave up on waiting for a response to my direct InMail to this company's recruiters and submitted my resume via the standard route on their website. I not sure contacting the recruiters directly actually works better unless you're highly specific or your profile alone is enough to blow every other shitheel doing the same as you clear out of the water. Fingers crossed.