Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The problem is that they burnt all their bridges and chased off their talent, so once their original hail marys run out of steam, they're left with nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
There was a FB thread last summer in a group with a lot of animation professionals about what was going on with CN, and a guy who works in ad placement put his finger on what I suspect is the core of the problem. The ratings at the beginning of 2017 showed a drastic shift away from broadcast and cable into streaming, and even if that's more of an industry-wide trend it kind of coincides with the CN scheduling department losing its loving mind beginning last February.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Closest thing to new info on upcoming episodes we might have for a while: a picture of some key chains from the NYC toy fair depicts some outfits we haven't seen before (slight spoilers, obviously):

https://elliesillustrations.tumblr.com/post/171075694716/i8orart-and-i-went-to-toy-fair-today-and-saw

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 20, 2018

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Man I can't believe they canceled steven universe.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Closest thing to new enough on upcoming episodes we might have for a while: a picture of some key chains from the NYC toy fair depicts some outfits we haven't seen before (slight spoilers, obviously):

https://elliesillustrations.tumblr.com/post/171075694716/i8orart-and-i-went-to-toy-fair-today-and-saw

I have so many feelings and/or questions.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Inescapable Duck posted:

You'd think if Steven Universe was their last remaining cash cow they'd make some goddamn merchandise for it.

There's always Etsy.

Speaking of, I would like to personally thank the cartoon network licensing and merchandise department for my new car (actually a used geo tracker but still)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Closest thing to new enough on upcoming episodes we might have for a while: a picture of some key chains from the NYC toy fair depicts some outfits we haven't seen before (slight spoilers, obviously):

I haaaaate that stylization on Pink Diamond. She looks like the cartoon version of Pennywise from that one meme video.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

deadly_pudding posted:

I haaaaate that stylization on Pink Diamond. She looks like the cartoon version of Pennywise from that one meme video.

She looks like a mascot for a frozen yogurt shop.

e: Specifically, this one from around where I live.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Closest thing to new info on upcoming episodes we might have for a while: a picture of some key chains from the NYC toy fair depicts some outfits we haven't seen before (slight spoilers, obviously):

This is a prophecy. Steven Universe can't end until we see these costumes. At this rate, that means it should be safe from cancellation for at least eight hundred years.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

deadly_pudding posted:

All three Diamonds look pretty bad in that style.

SpacePig posted:

She looks like a mascot for a frozen yogurt shop.

e: Specifically, this one from around where I live.

Turns out White Diamond was on Earth this entire time selling yogurt.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Oh my gosh that Pearl outfit.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So basically Steven Universe is now Adventure Time?

Oh god we're never going to get to see the series finale.

It was crazy to me, looking up the AT airing schedule, that they aired 2 miniseries, a full season, half another season and three/fourths of ANOTHER season in 2017
just shoved it all out the door, like the opposite of SU's problem but still having SU's "when will the next batch air? ehhhh" problem.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I've mentioned it before but part of the problem is the guy in charge of CN's scheduling department is a lazy moron who crams the schedule full of one or two shows so he doesn't have to put any real effort in, he pulled the same tactics off when he was in charge of CN Asia's scheduling as well(albeit with other shows)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I get the feeling that CN has a bunch of badly out of touch middle aged executives who don't seem to realize that a large portion of their audience is in fact aged 18 to 40, and not just children.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

I get the feeling that CN has a bunch of badly out of touch middle aged executives who don't seem to realize that a large portion of their audience is in fact aged 18 to 40, and not just children.

Oh I think they're very aware*, they just don't care. And why would they? I mean let's all be real, half most of those older people in the really vocal fandom, nay in this very thread, aren't watching Cartoon Network or even using their app, they're absorbing SU through leaks and Youtube. That gets CN zero ad money and thus catering to that audience does nothing for them. Children, the demographic that will park their rear end in front of a TV and watch a long bomb of cartoons, are all that matters.

*of course they care, they produced a podcast. Kids don't listen to podcasts. Besides, like any good drug dealers, they know that once they've got their market addicted, they'll always come crawling back for another hit.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 21, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

EasyEW posted:

There was a FB thread last summer in a group with a lot of animation professionals about what was going on with CN, and a guy who works in ad placement put his finger on what I suspect is the core of the problem. The ratings at the beginning of 2017 showed a drastic shift away from broadcast and cable into streaming, and even if that's more of an industry-wide trend it kind of coincides with the CN scheduling department losing its loving mind beginning last February.

The problem with that is, it doesn't really make sense. "We're doing streaming now" doesn't make it seem even face-level reasonable to have whole weeks of almost nothing but Teen Titans Go.

"We're determined to squeeze our popular shows out over as long a period as possible" makes more sense, but it doesn't explain why they'd toss out multiple seasons of Adventure Time in a year.

I still say this is why people find the situation so infuriating—it's offensive to human reason.

EDIT: Also, huh, even past Pearl wears all four colors, not white or pink.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

I'm excited because I'm sure they'll look great in the show, but why is all the SU merch so ugly asides the one mini fig set and the crane game plushes?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

My jaded, calloused hart is gladdened by how goddamn happy Ruby looks on her way to Garnet making an honest woman of herself.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm still mad about Farscape.

We're all still mad about Farscape.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LemonLimeTime posted:

I'm excited because I'm sure they'll look great in the show, but why is all the SU merch so ugly asides the one mini fig set and the crane game plushes?

Best I can figure: it's really hard to turn 2D cartoonish designs into good looking 3D objects that can also be easily mass produced. Every so often you'll get lucky and capture lightening in a bottle (like with those crane toys, even though they forgot to give Pearl her gem), but most of the time they end up looking like something from the uncanny valley (like that weird Pearl egg thing).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've been trying to make a proper sewing pattern recently and it's drat hard to get that balance of looking like the character and not having a poo poo ton of impossibly tiny pieces to sew.

I have so much respect for this person, she's been doing these things for years:

They're fully posable with removable limb enhancers and they get as big as life-sized. Seriously, go check out the rest of her work, it's all amazing.

Actually, while I'm pimping other tumblrs, https://clonret.tumblr.com/ is my personal hero for making these incredible things out of paper:

They haven't posted anything new in a while, the last thing was this:

Which is maybe a little too ambitious, but if anybody can figure it out, it's this crazy sonofabitch.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RandomFerret posted:

A bunch of cool stuff you should really check out.

Oh yeah, tumblr and etsy are full of artists who show that turning 2D designs into good looking 3D toys isn't impossible (including you randomferret, love your felt work).

Case in point, check out this Connie Doll: http://renchanworkshop.tumblr.com/post/170627572304/custom-design-connie

It looks amazing. However, it's also rather expensive (as it should be) because making a doll that fantastic takes a lot of time and hard work (but if you have the money please buy from this artist because she's great and deserves support).

Compare that to this officially licensed Steven Universe doll: https://toywiz.com/steven-universe-...ogaAu_QEALw_wcB

It looks a lot worse, frankly, but it only costs 30 bucks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hi it's me

The guy who wants Butch Ruby in a Wedding Outfit

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I want femme Sapphire in a suit, tyvm

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Yes, femme Sapphire in a tux is 1000% my jam.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Infinitum posted:

Hi it's me

T-man posted:

I want femme Sapphire in a suit, tyvm

Oh yeah, everyone is going to want those including me.

Unfortunately, there's something very unpleasant and upsetting about that particular pair that's already pissing me off (even though from a marketing stand point it's brilliant. Cruel, but brilliant): The Wedding outfit Ruby and Sapphire keychains are both marked as "chase". In blind bag merch "chase" figurines are the ones that are extra rare (which encourages consumers to 'chase' after them). It's going to be extremely hard and expensive to get even one of them, let alone both.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Every so often you'll get lucky and capture lightening in a bottle (like with those crane toys, even though they forgot to give Pearl her gem), but most of the time they end up looking like something from the uncanny valley (like that weird Pearl egg thing).

The bigger plush has her gem, I bought both the smaller and big one and the bigger one, asides from having a floppy neck (I guess cus they didn't stuff the neck or something to keep it thin?), is pretty dang spot on to Pearl's artwork.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Infinitum posted:

Hi it's me

I want the Russian beard edit to be real.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

latest podcast: Ms. Sugar seems mildly irked that the fans went with "townies" instead of "boardies."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Madurai posted:

latest podcast: Ms. Sugar seems mildly irked that the fans went with "townies" instead of "boardies."

"Boardies" makes it sounds like you're talking about "Story boarders" which is just confusing. Also, it just kind of sounds worse in general (too close to "borring", lots of easy jokes there).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'll never again call them anything but Beach Citizens, unless I forget.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, tumblr and etsy are full of artists who show that turning 2D designs into good looking 3D toys isn't impossible (including you randomferret, love your felt work).

Case in point, check out this Connie Doll: http://renchanworkshop.tumblr.com/post/170627572304/custom-design-connie

It looks amazing. However, it's also rather expensive (as it should be) because making a doll that fantastic takes a lot of time and hard work (but if you have the money please buy from this artist because she's great and deserves support).

Compare that to this officially licensed Steven Universe doll: https://toywiz.com/steven-universe-...ogaAu_QEALw_wcB

It looks a lot worse, frankly, but it only costs 30 bucks.

As someone who owns their lion, peridot, lapis, corrupt jasper, and lapis lazuli plush, I can confirm the quality is amazing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Meep morps!

https://cupcakeshakesnake.tumblr.com/post/170577841268/pink-diamond-instructions-101-best

https://yoshiyaki.tumblr.com/post/167216275726/connie-and-peridot

https://coolerdeath.tumblr.com/post/170959789886/i-made-smthing-from-muaythai-pearl-here-the

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Welcome to the uncanny valley my boy.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Warning, video may contain slight levels of implied homosexuality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaSgLeMqQxA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cannot find a thread for Attack the Light in Games so I'll jsut ask here, but the Greg Guitar Puzzle on mt Manichuck, how the hell do you solve it? There's no clues on what colours to set the rocks, and I've been trying every combination for the last half out and transparently I'm the only person on earth that has ever had a problem with this puzzle because googling gives me nothing.

Also why do all the enemies hate Greg?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If that is the one with the giant Bridge, then the trick is the trees in the back ground on the bridge - as you pass in front of them they change to their corresponding puzzle colour.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

The targeting seems to prefer anyone with AoE powers, either attacks or buffs/debuffs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Greg just has a raw magnetism that gems can't deny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BioEnchanted posted:

If that is the one with the giant Bridge, then the trick is the trees in the back ground on the bridge - as you pass in front of them they change to their corresponding puzzle colour.

It's the one with the Red green and blue circles, so I think you're talking about the right one. It's so weird I could not find any solutions to this online, even the walkthrough videos I found completely ignore it. I also found out while searching people are unhappy we don't get any new, never seen before Fusions in the game, but like they're not going to do something that important in a game.

Madurai posted:

The targeting seems to prefer anyone with AoE powers, either attacks or buffs/debuffs.

It's weird because I've had battles were I never even use gregs abilities, and the enemies still focus on him. I've gotten decent as getting perfect defenses but its still fustrating.

TwoPair posted:

Greg just has a raw magnetism that gems can't deny.

This is probably real reason.

I'm trying to figure out what my team comp should be. I've unlocked all the core characters, but I found having some characters kind of redundant or even useless. Like aformentioned Greg, he's useful with his healing and star charge speedup chords, but everyone is trying to put an axe in his face. Pearl and Connie seem redundant as they both seem to do the same damage, and I only get 5 stars per round so I can't use Connies storm sword every round without using an item. So far I've found just having Steven and the Crystal Gems works the best. Steven heals while everyone else attacks. Also Garnet and Pearls passive abilities are pretty useful.