Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dude I follow on instagram has imported a 92 Crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dude I follow on instagram has imported a 92 Crown.

That's a very nice looking on too, choice. Now just some other goons need to pick some up.

Edit:
Kinda lol at the "going to keep this one stock...lower and bag it" :v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 16, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

2 tone is just :allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Missed this by 207 dollars. 1 owner 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf 2-door, 5 speed manual turbo diesel with AC. Just about 62k miles total. Does have a rusty rear bumper though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should set up a side deal with Buyee so people can cram your imported cars full of Japanese videogames. All that wasted cargo space on the RoRo...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fill them with JDM parts obviously.....

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
You guys have NO IDEA how badly I'd love to shove tires and things in these. Unfortunately U.S. Policy means the vehicles have to be empty as they are shipped :negative:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Automotive Insanity: 14 INCH DICK CONNECTION

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You have to be creative man, hide parts behind body panels and inside tires.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That can only end well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

No GREAT loss missing that surf there. Hold out for a KZN130, which came out around 1993. The motor is so, so SO much better than a lovely old 2LT

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

No GREAT loss missing that surf there. Hold out for a KZN130, which came out around 1993. The motor is so, so SO much better than a lovely old 2LT

Yeah, I knew it had the same menacing head-cracking Prado diesel but again, here in the US, a turbo diesel manual transmission 4 runner in a two door guise would be choice. Doesn't really matter about this engine vs. another one to most US buyers.
Really the only bad thing about it was it is a generation newer than the perfect Hilux Surf with all the same options.
Either way I had my limit, it went past that, oh well. There is always new stuff every day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

It's not about what's a good idea. Or even a good car. It's about what Americans will desperately try to get their wallet out their jeans (past a sizeable import-related erection) for.

Hey, you know all those diesels that everyone who had to deal with first-hand knows are, well, rubbish? Get 'em on that boat!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

It's not about what's a good idea. Or even a good car. It's about what Americans will desperately try to get their wallet out their jeans (past a sizeable import-related erection) for.

Hey, you know all those diesels that everyone who had to deal with first-hand knows are, well, rubbish? Get 'em on that boat!

Absolutely. It's about the cache of having a thing normal people can't get. I don't particularly want the diesels, but the quirky JDM-only stuff is nifty.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

This, essentially. I'm not out to try to slip someone a broken car, but the nuances of stuff from an outside-the-US that a buyer would see simply doesn't match with the US. If these diesels can cruise on up to 500+ km in Japan then they obviously can last a while.
Here in the US people buy grandma spec Skylines because it says 'Skyline'. If it says 'diesel' it's almost the same sort of draw. If it has a manual transmission then +++. If it says 'Toyota' as well, or even 'Land Cruiser' then watch out because there is about a million people that want them without anything to buy.
The hugest margins I've ever seen on imports of any kind are Land Cruiser pickups from South America or Spain since they are left hand drive. Those things go for 30+ thousand dollars here.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KakerMix posted:

Here in the US people buy grandma spec Skylines because it says 'Skyline'.

Right now pay stupid money for it then wonder why it is slow as poo poo and not be able to find parts. Couple more years people will be into R33s so R32s might go back to sane prices. In 2023 when the R34s are legal to import that market is going to be a blood bath even more so that it is now.

Thinking about getting something like a Crown or Cresda for Lemons Rallies since it will be odd but not a utter pile of junk. Probably cheaper than finding something passible for a road trip in the North East.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 16, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I know of guys now who are selling their absolutely hosed R32's to Americans now. These are vehicles that were sold in japan, badly modified and thrashed in japan, then shipped to Australia, modified and thrashed some MORE, and they're selling the loving things for just about what they went for when they were NEW!

Im surprised the Turbo Diesel 60 and 80 series landcruisers arent getting sent over by the boatloads. Or even the old 70 series. Pity you have to hang onto em for ages before importing, could be a good money spinner selling Mine hosed 70's and Hiluxes to Americans.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I honestly don't know why people here are so enamored with small diesels, especially these old models that are complex with limited parts availability. Give me a Hilux Surf with the same gas engine thats used in trucks here in the states, I know it will be reliable and simple with parts available on rockauto.

You shouldn't limit yourself to diesel trucks, there are lots of people that would be lining up to buy gas Toyota trucks as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I honestly don't know why people here are so enamored with small diesels, especially these old models that are complex with limited parts availability. Give me a Hilux Surf with the same gas engine thats used in trucks here in the states, I know it will be reliable and simple with parts available on rockauto.

You shouldn't limit yourself to diesel trucks, there are lots of people that would be lining up to buy gas Toyota trucks as well.

People are enamored with diesels because they are simple and reliable. They are something we didn't get, they have a unique driving feel, sound cool, and are another exclusive feather you can stick in your cap as you drive around. As for parts availability, if I can get parts for my Daihatsu then you can most certainly get parts for any Toyota 5 times as easy.
A Hilux is a 4Runner with the steering wheel on the wrong side, a diesel Hilux, well, that's a diesel 4runner with the steering wheel on the wrong side.
The cost difference between a gasoline Hilux and a diesel Hilux isn't so great, and if you want a pickup truck Hilux you are going to pay $$$$$$$$$$$ for it, pay that goofy 25% tax on top of it (probably) and then try to sell a gasoline Toyota truck for $$$$$$$$$$+ to make money off of it and that whole thing is so much easier if you can go 'oh and this one is ~**diesel**~ too' since now it stands out from all the other Toyota trucks. I can't see why I would even do gasoline on a can-get-here vehicle since the right hand drive thing is a huge hurdle for a lot of people and the cost difference just to make up shipping the thing doesn't make any sense. I can't see a scenario where someone wants a right hand drive truck but doesn't want a diesel.

All that being said though I'm just trying to figure out all this stuff as I go and do not have any hardline rules. Maybe I'll be importing Starlets before too long, who knows!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 17, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So a Hilux Surf isn't considered a truck? And there's an added tax for pickups?

Anyway, what i meant was the Hilux Surf is unique enough that I don't think it would matter if it was gas or diesel, it would sell either way, and personally I'd rather have a gas motor.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Took the dog out for short walk this morning and spotted this cute micro-box truck.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Sorry to highjack this thread just a little, but when I was a kid my parents had an 84 or 86 Toyota LE Van.

(Not my family's van but close enough)

Sunroof, moonroof, ice maker, removable seats, engine under the driver's seat.

It was an absolute beast and when I found out that they got rid of it because their snooty HOA balked I was gutted. I'm having a hard time finding a tremendous amount of info on these on the internet but I kinda really want one. How would I go about finding one and would it be a terrible idea to do so? I foggily remember it being 4wd, did they even export the 4wd model?

Edit: Wikipedia has told me it's some version of the LiteAce/TownAce R20/R30

moller fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 17, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

So a Hilux Surf isn't considered a truck? And there's an added tax for pickups?

Anyway, what i meant was the Hilux Surf is unique enough that I don't think it would matter if it was gas or diesel, it would sell either way, and personally I'd rather have a gas motor.

Whenever I import something it's always a heavy question about the intended purpose for the vehicle originally. "Is this for passenger use?" and if it has four seats then you can say yes, it is, and avoid the 25% tax. Lord of Garbageman had to deal with that on his kei trucks (but the cost is so little so it probably didn't sting as much as it could of). It was asked about my Rugger too, but again ~4 seats~ so passenger use. A Hilux pickup with four doors might be ok, maybe, but I brought up the difference between the normal pickup Hilux and the Surf because the price difference between them at auction is huge. Have two identical Hiluxes, one a Surf and one the standard pickup and the pickup will be 3-4k more, USD. 25% tax with a 3-4k more price shoots that price right the gently caress up.
As for the uniqueness of a Surf vs a 4Runner I don't see it. They are essentially identical vehicles just the steering wheel is on one side or the other. You can get a Surf for $3000 or so, then have to pay at least another 3k to get it here so you are looking at a 6k vehicle in, and that's before whatever incidental maintenance that they will most certainly need and registration costs. Place the your-cost at 7000 USD I don't see much of a margin for a gasoline Surf when you are competing with 4runners that are already here. If your Surf is diesel though you place it outside all the USDM 4Runners to make up for the fact that yours costs so much more. At least that's how I see it.

Femtosecond posted:

Took the dog out for short walk this morning and spotted this cute micro-box truck.

A former fire-truck, you can tell from the little ornament on the front and the little gold bars going around the side of the cab. That means it's in super-good shape and super low miles. Also means it absolutely does not have air conditioning since I have seen 1 (one) fire truck ever that had A/C. I've seen a lot of fire trucks at auction. Looks like they built that box for the back of it too. Super dang cute :3:

moller posted:

Sorry to highjack this thread just a little, but when I was a kid my parents had an 84 or 86 Toyota LE Van.

(Not my family's van but close enough)

Sunroof, moonroof, ice maker, removable seats, engine under the driver's seat.

It was an absolute beast and when I found out that they got rid of it because their snooty HOA balked I was gutted. I'm having a hard time finding a tremendous amount of info on these on the internet but I kinda really want one. How would I go about finding one and would it be a terrible idea to do so? I foggily remember it being 4wd, did they even export the 4wd model?

Edit: Wikipedia has told me it's some version of the LiteAce/TownAce R20/R30

I've got one of those on the way!

I am not super familiar with the distinction between the LE Van you posted vs. a Lite/Town/Master Ace but the one I have on the way seems to be more commercial vs. passenger like yours. They are all really just a Hilux with a van plopped on top though, and they do indeed come in 4x4 configuration.
Importing one from Japan at auction is easy but of course I'd say that. I am curious what a USDM Toyota van would be in cost vs. a JDM one since there are far more in Japan that were taken care of vs. the ones here in the US that were ran into the ground. I'd imagine a 4x4 USDM one would be quite pricey. In contrast I didn't pay much at all for the one I have on the way, and it's a fancy SkyLite roof 4x4 with a manual transmission.

As a side complaint that Vanlife Northwest place takes excellent pictures but man they rub me the wrong way. Their instagram is them talking like somehow are exotic and hard-to-find vehicles. They posted a 4 door Toyota Dyna pickup, a former fire engine. They didn't mention that at all and instead were saying poo poo like 'this was definitely garage kept and well-loved' and yeah no poo poo it was a fire engine, in a fire house and perfectly maintained by the government that's how they all are. I very much despise the intent to keep customers ignorant since its totally unnecessary. Now that I know about all this I see it all over and man, bugs me bad. I want to get real big and crush places like that :argh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

As for the uniqueness of a Surf vs a 4Runner I don't see it. They are essentially identical vehicles just the steering wheel is on one side or the other. You can get a Surf for $3000 or so, then have to pay at least another 3k to get it here so you are looking at a 6k vehicle in, and that's before whatever incidental maintenance that they will most certainly need and registration costs. Place the your-cost at 7000 USD I don't see much of a margin for a gasoline Surf when you are competing with 4runners that are already here. If your Surf is diesel though you place it outside all the USDM 4Runners to make up for the fact that yours costs so much more. At least that's how I see it.

I think you're underestimating the Toyota/JDM fanbois, but i get what you're saying. I guess you wouldn't really know unless you started experimenting bringing different poo poo over to see what sells, and at this point you probably can't afford to do that. Would be very interesting tho to try it out if you are ever in a position to do so.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ferremit posted:

I know of guys now who are selling their absolutely hosed R32's to Americans now. These are vehicles that were sold in japan, badly modified and thrashed in japan, then shipped to Australia, modified and thrashed some MORE, and they're selling the loving things for just about what they went for when they were NEW!

It is great when it is trashed to gently caress R32s from the UK since they are hosed and rusty.

On a more positive topic I really want a Town Ace to do the Lemons Rally in since it is mid engined just sticker it up like a race car and put a dumb spoiler on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I think you're underestimating the Toyota/JDM fanbois, but i get what you're saying. I guess you wouldn't really know unless you started experimenting bringing different poo poo over to see what sells, and at this point you probably can't afford to do that. Would be very interesting tho to try it out if you are ever in a position to do so.

Probably, I know of the JDM TYTE bro types but I shuffle them into the car category, Skylines and Soarers. I never consider a JDM bro but into trucks instead. The whole diesel angle I see with my Rugger are people that wouldn't normally consider a vehicle from Japan until they see it in the flesh and go 'well it's turbo diesel, cool old and rugged and from Japan and you know Japan makes the best stuff'. That and Land Crusiers because the name alone on those things carry. I can easily see someone going 'this is a 4Runner, but from Japan' I just wonder the market size for that vs. the seemingly-easy sell to the diesel crowd. More crossover.
Right now though I am actually importing a mix of things to see what sells, kei vans, a couple of diesel Land Crusiers and the 4x4 LiteAce. I would like to get an AZ-1 also for selfish reasons, but to also just sell. You can't deny the margins on those bastards.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I walked by that Honda Street again and snapped this photo, which shows the scale of these kei vans in relation to typical NA vans and street scale.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

I walked by that Honda Street again and snapped this photo, which shows the scale of these kei vans in relation to typical NA vans and street scale.

Woah get a load of this guy that isn't a HONDA :smuggo::smuggo::smuggo:

That's either a Suzuki Every Turbo Areo Tune or possibly the Autozam re-badge but probably a Suzuki. I know this deep in my heart of hearts because the Areo tune package on a Suzuki Every (or Autozam!) is my most favorite of all the kei vans ever. Identical to an Acty though in size since a Suzuki kei van is the same size as a Honda kei van.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Gah yeah It's a Suzuki Every Turbo. Brain fart. Hey got it right the last time I took a photo of it! :sweatdrop:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Today I learned: the US Customs includes "commissions related to purchase of item" as a dutiable item. At 25% it's another 200$ for JCD's fee (in addition to duty on purchase price). $600 in just duties on a $1,000 kei truck............loving kill me.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Truck you say? Well best add on that Chicken Tax.

Yes I know that doesn't apply to used cars.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BigPaddy posted:

Truck you say? Well best add on that Chicken Tax.

Yes I know that doesn't apply to used cars.

Oh you poor innocent soul, the chicken tax gives no F's about used or new. If it has only two seats, or it's primary purpose is the transportation of goods you pay 25% (farm equipment excluded).

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

God that is so dumb, the tax and it applying to second hand stuff. So that made up part of the $600?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BigPaddy posted:

God that is so dumb, the tax and it applying to second hand stuff. So that made up part of the $600?

truck at auction was 1,100 x .25 = 275
JCD Fee 800 x .25= 200
inland transport 100 x .25= 25
Other little dinky
fees related to customs = 98

bonds and filing fees = $ 375

Total expenses to get it past customs 973, cost of actual metal and engine and goodness 1,100.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Cross posting from the chat thread:

KakerMix posted:

I sold the Hijet on Bring a Trailer before Christmas but it finally left today. I told the guy he could take is time when coming to pick it up and it wasn't in the way so no big deal. The truck showed up and I drove it down there.

The highest-class Hijet the world has ever seen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
!!!

One came up at auction and BOY is it priced right the gently caress out of what I'd be willing to pay for a weird Japanese hothatch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah but LOOK at it :3:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 21, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's firmly in "if you don't like it, try to find another one" territory now, though. Price doesn't seem obscene.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Does it cost about the same to ship & import cars from other countries too? Will the same brokers work with countries beside Japan?

I know a guy in India who may be able to help me find & buy a Mahindra jeep, a CJ-3 descendant with a diesel engine. They're not expensive (I saw some nice examples on an Indian auto site for $2k or so), and this guy's restored his own recently so he could probably arrange to get new suspension and such in before shipping it. Whether or not it's worthwhile will probably come down to how much it costs to get a sorted (good suspension & engine bits) Mahindra imported vs. an equivalently-decent Jeep in the US... but also, a RHD diesel-powered CJ made in the 90s sounds interesting. Plus, a 1993 Mahindra is emissions exempt in NM, unlike a 1993 Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

KakerMix posted:

One came up at auction and BOY is it priced right the gently caress out of what I'd be willing to pay for a weird Japanese hothatch.

Super rare and unique I think under $4k that is a steal.