Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

##List: 1. b-minus1 2. Natural 20

b-minus feels like he's been all over the board trying to get something to stick. Natural 20's post about not sharing thoughts and information in thread, our only method of sharing thoughts and information, seems really bizarre, and I feel he's been around long enough to know that's terrible advice for town.

you really think ive been all over the board? imo i've been consistent in my town and scum reads, or at least ive tried to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
##vote sal

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

flerp posted:

also im lost as to why this favors scum in any way more than town. its just posting reads which people should be doing anyways.

yeah i dont get that. it feels like faux-outrage

i'd be willing to vote nat20 just because i want to see...the lose condition....but i like sal more. i dont know why scum would say that lose condition thing either

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Atomic Soda posted:

gulag actually paid attention re: ghgd, which i liked despite now changing my read. i stand by the bit re: asiina though i think her recent posting has been fine. your case seems fake and incorrect.

Gulag completely disengaged from that one read on ghgd after mild pressure in elongated jokephase, then did absolutely nothing else I would classify as scumhunting (pressing suspects, asking questions, digging into people for reactions); there’s mild agreement with some other people’s cases, but that’s meaningless. You standing by “Asiina is hiding behind dog gifs” doesn’t change the fact that she stopped doing that well before you posted

This looks like you found two hasty reads to give based on skimming the earlier bits of the thread, not genuine thoughts

##vote Atomic Soda

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So, how’s the weather?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

jon joe posted:

So, how’s the weather?

Distressingly warm, it’s nearly 70 out and it actually will be tomorrow

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

super mad i pointed out how garbage your dead cow case was huh

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Distressingly warm, it’s nearly 70 out and it actually will be tomorrow

I like it! Warm is good.

Does anyone know how many posts I’m at now?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hey all. I got caught up and I'm not surprised to see my name getting tossed around. I've been really busy dealing with IRL stuff. I've also been trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on this game since its different from others I've played. I haven't posted reads because I haven't really had the motivation to. I will do some hunting this evening but I honestly don't even have opinions of my own.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

GulagDolls posted:

yeah i dont get that. it feels like faux-outrage

i'd be willing to vote nat20 just because i want to see...the lose condition....but i like sal more. i dont know why scum would say that lose condition thing either

People have been playing the game wrong and I've always been on the right side of it. It's infuriating now because I know exactly what's wrong and I can't phrase it well enough to avoid misinterpretation.

Reads are fine, sharing is fine, ambiguity on reads early in the game is helpful in preventing scum from coordinating very effectively.

There is a difference between saying "x is possibly scum" and "As of now my top scum reads are y and z" I specifically think lots of people doing the latter is a significant help for scum.

Mostly though, if I am scum holy poo poo am I playing a terrible game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

super mad i pointed out how garbage your dead cow case was huh

nah, it was bad, I kept my vote on him because he was being rude

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
nat 20 i disagree heavily and also im ngl, i think this is an incredibly dumb hill to die on ESPECIALLY given that this game is really stupid and people havent been posting their thoughts and encouraging people to not post their scum reads is incredibly bad

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'll be honest I feel like this still day 1 because of all the President voting bullshit. The reason I wss trying to clarify the club thing is my character sheet expertly says "You love the gardening club" and I thought it was weird that Gardening Club was one of 50s suggestions.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

flerp posted:

nat 20 i disagree heavily and also im ngl, i think this is an incredibly dumb hill to die on ESPECIALLY given that this game is really stupid and people havent been posting their thoughts and encouraging people to not post their scum reads is incredibly bad

I concur

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

I specifically think lots of people doing the latter is a significant help for scum.

but why

i have my thoughts as to why...but i want to hear YOURS

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

GulagDolls posted:

but why

i have my thoughts as to why...but i want to hear YOURS

Okay.

The method by which we're generating reads is effectively just a giant list. Everyone can driveby with whatever they want.

Observe:

Natural 20 posted:

Oh right

##List. 1. 50 Pounds of Bread 2. B-minus1

There, now I don't have to care about this dumbass regulation.

GeneX posted:

:rolleyes:
##List 1:Li Dawny 2:Atomic Soda

GulagDolls posted:

##LIST 1:SalTheBard 2:LiDawny

Sal has eclipsed Lidawny in my mind because he is still here but has yet to do anything. I was willing to give him a chance, but...

b-minus1 posted:

##LIST 1:Natural 20 2:Tired Moritz

give head or get dead posted:

I just want to say something before people start listing, what if this list business is a scum ability? For caution's sake im going to list somebody i wouldnt mind getting lunched and Pmush, supreme lurker
##LIST 1:Li Dawny 2:PMush Perfect

The Ninth Layer posted:

##LIST 1. Chic Trombone 2. Nat 20

I don't have strong opinions on Sal or Lil Dawny, will try to read them before deadline.

flerp posted:

##LIST 1:bee movie 2:tm

Dead Cow posted:

I literally did the same thing.

##LIST 1. SalTheBard 2.Natural20

Absolutely nothing has changed for me about Sal, and Nat20 has been doing the coasting on the non scum hunting parts of this game

I'm probably not going to hit the post count limit as I refuse to just spam the thread like JJ is doing

curiousCat posted:

##List: 1.bminus 2. AA

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

##List: 1. b-minus1 2. Natural 20

b-minus feels like he's been all over the board trying to get something to stick. Natural 20's post about not sharing thoughts and information in thread, our only method of sharing thoughts and information, seems really bizarre, and I feel he's been around long enough to know that's terrible advice for town.

Of 11 ##lists we have 8 drivebys with little to no justification, I include my own, but I think the system is a pile of dogshit.

The only three people to offer meaningful observations alongside their lists are above, and I'm being generous.

The lists as they are allow a scum member to easily driveby with whatever the gently caress they want as long as it looks vaguely reasonable and then blend in with every single other low effort list from people who haven't been observing the game.

This offers town almost nothing in terms of real analysis on what scum might be thinking or motivations.

Conversely scum can talk with each other, they know which ones are fake and which ones are likely to be real. Their actions therefore are much better informed because they have a much easier time inferring motivations on listings even absent context.

What the game is in desperate need of is analysis, it is not in need of pointless reads with no actual justification. The reads just serve to poo poo up the thread more with even more white noise.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm aware of the irony that my own giant discussion over the importance of lists is doing the same thing, but this is because I think there's a real case on 50 as scum and I want everything in order for when he's back to being lynchable again.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dead Cow posted:

I literally did the same thing.

##LIST 1. SalTheBard 2.Natural20

Absolutely nothing has changed for me about Sal, and Nat20 has been doing the coasting on the non scum hunting parts of this game

I'm probably not going to hit the post count limit as I refuse to just spam the thread like JJ is doing

Hello DC! As far as I can recall we haven't played Mafia together (if we have forgive me). I was curious as to what your case on me is because your first post just sort of came out of nowhere and as far as I could tell there hasn't been any real solid case on me. I also saw this post:

Dead Cow posted:

Yo, I had a legit question about Sal

What is your question and what can I do to help you? Because you followed that post up with:

Dead Cow posted:

I don't like Sal still, and I don't like eat the rich's posting and ICR reminded me that I didn't like it

But you never asked your question! You said "I have a question" you didn't get quoted or the post was missed or something and then you just decided that you didn't like me. All I was doing was trying to help organize an election so we didn't waste a day on stupid pointless bullshit.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Your point seems to be shifting a bit.

If everyone "blends in" by doing drive-bys then no one does. We still have to eventually pick someone to lunch and people to call scummy.

If people just do dumb drive-bys without ever elaborating further, that at least tells us something about them, to compare them against others who have gone on in more detail. And having at least that minimal list on the record gives us something to start with in this game where everyone thinks they're still on D1.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

And who says the meaningful reasonings have to be in the same post? Keeping the list all formatted how 50 wants it in its own short little post for clarity seems fine as a matter of protocol.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Bif, these last two posts by you... I don't think we've ever synced up like this!

I feel in-tune with you suddenly :)

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Hello DC! As far as I can recall we haven't played Mafia together (if we have forgive me). I was curious as to what your case on me is because your first post just sort of came out of nowhere and as far as I could tell there hasn't been any real solid case on me. I also saw this post:

What is your question and what can I do to help you? Because you followed that post up with:

But you never asked your question! You said "I have a question" you didn't get quoted or the post was missed or something and then you just decided that you didn't like me. All I was doing was trying to help organize an election so we didn't waste a day on stupid pointless bullshit.

Someone else answered it

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

And who says the meaningful reasonings have to be in the same post? Keeping the list all formatted how 50 wants it in its own short little post for clarity seems fine as a matter of protocol.

Exactly, I've been providing my thoughts throughout my posts, unlike some people (nat20) who are just hell bent on trying to control everyone's posting to their specifications

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

The lists aren't for you, they are for me, and there is a specific reason I did it this way. If you have questions about people's lists I encourage you to ask them for clarification regarding why they have listed who they have.

The list is secondary to the vote but still important for me to have.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Dead Cow posted:

##nominate Chic

I haven't played in a while, is Sal always this friendly and helpful in games? It's coming across as looking townie for brownie points

Sal, this was my question, I didn't address it directly to you, I asked it to the thread in general. But you get credit for not actually going back and reading my post history when creating your post

it is not good credit

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Bifauxnen posted:

100% agreed, I know that I at least posted more clarification just a few posts later

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

Your point seems to be shifting a bit.

If everyone "blends in" by doing drive-bys then no one does. We still have to eventually pick someone to lunch and people to call scummy.

If people just do dumb drive-bys without ever elaborating further, that at least tells us something about them, to compare them against others who have gone on in more detail. And having at least that minimal list on the record gives us something to start with in this game where everyone thinks they're still on D1.

My point remains the same. It's better for scum than town. Scum gain more information that can be used better. Town gain very little information.

Basically the opportunity cost of this is too high for whatever information it does generate.

I'm not going to pursue this further. I don't think I can reasonably persuade people on it and I'm getting progressively more annoyed and less analytical.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Natural 20 posted:

My point remains the same. It's better for scum than town. Scum gain more information that can be used better. Town gain very little information.

Basically the opportunity cost of this is too high for whatever information it does generate.

I'm not going to pursue this further. I don't think I can reasonably persuade people on it and I'm getting progressively more annoyed and less analytical.

i sort of see where you are coming from about the lists benefiting the scum. however, i cant ignore that they have at least sparked some meaningful discussion today, especially compared to yesterday when it felt like it was the same 5 or 6 people posting. imo

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

maybe he literally did forget how to play town

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

If the purpose wasn't for me directly you would be right.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

50 pounds of bread posted:

If the purpose wasn't for me directly you would be right.

No he's not! :argh:

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Bif, these last two posts by you... I don't think we've ever synced up like this!

I feel in-tune with you suddenly :)

help I want out of this opposite land

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Still too many coasting into deadline today

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

embrace the madness!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

He's right in that blanket opinions with no justification are more useful to scum. He's wrong in that asking for clarification is something this allows the town to do.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dead Cow posted:

Sal, this was my question, I didn't address it directly to you, I asked it to the thread in general. But you get credit for not actually going back and reading my post history when creating your post

it is not good credit

I'm not sure how I missed that, my bad!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
If the scum already have information, adding more information to them doesn't have as much of a negative as the positive of giving actual information to the town.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
can someone post a list that shows how many posts we have? (and also show me how to do that) tia

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

The lists as they are allow a scum member to easily driveby with whatever the gently caress they want as long as it looks vaguely reasonable and then blend in with every single other low effort list from people who haven't been observing the game.

they were very much already doing that before the lists.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

b-minus1 posted:

can someone post a list that shows how many posts we have? (and also show me how to do that) tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

b-minus1 posted:

If you're on phone, view the forums in the browser unless your app is legit, my app does not

• Locked thread