Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One thing I know about Black Panther is that King's Dead makes me want that new Jay Rock album ASAP.

I'm not usually that big into him but that track and Vice City are two of my favourites!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yo this new Nipsey Hustle goes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dexo posted:

I wasn't feeling it :( I thought the lyrics were super generic. Gonna give it another listen.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
haven’t been really into any rap except the BP soundtrack so far this year.

i get people getting tired of kendrick, he’s been everywhere for a year in tons of features and his own stuff, but drat he just hits some sort of sweet spot for me

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

One thing I know about Black Panther is that King's Dead makes me want that new Jay Rock album ASAP.

I'm not usually that big into him but that track and Vice City are two of my favourites!

90059 was perfectly fine imo, Jay's had a weird career

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q17z9a03YaM

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmfA8gzmpls

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crumbletron posted:

90059 was perfectly fine imo, Jay's had a weird career

Yeah I didn't like it when I first heard it. It's good though.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I didn't like it when I first heard it. It's good though.

I wasn't crazy about it when it came out either but my roommate warmed me up to it

Same with Sun's Tirade

Isaiah got no shine on the BP album and it makes me sad

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
This is really random but I thought it was pretty awesome. I was babysitting my nieces this weekend and we were watching Girl Meets World. For those of you who don't know, its a modern-day version of Boy Meets World with a girl as the lead. In the episode we were watching, the father (Cory) and mother (Topanga) go out on a date for their anniversary. Their subway gets delayed and Cory gets upset because he had a night of music and dancing planned. On cue, you hear a keyboard riff being played and it pans over to none other than Herbie Hancock playing himself shredding on the keytar in the subway station. Pretty sure this thread recommended Herbie Hancock to me and it was awesome getting to tell the girls that he is a famous jazz musician. We ended up listening to a couple of his records that I have and they really enjoyed them!

Edit: For hip-hop content, I didn't realize that Hancock's single "Rockit" in 1983 is considered the first jazz hip-hop single and was also the first mainstream single to feature scratching.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 20, 2018

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Every thread is not for black panther, I just got spoiled you gently caress sticks its been out for like 4 days.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Dexo posted:

yeah it really does

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MrSargent posted:

This is really random but I thought it was pretty awesome. I was babysitting my nieces this weekend and we were watching Girl Meets World. For those of you who don't know, its a modern-day version of Boy Meets World with a girl as the lead. In the episode we were watching, the father (Cory) and mother (Topanga) go out on a date for their anniversary. Their subway gets delayed and Cory gets upset because he had a night of music and dancing planned. On cue, you hear a keyboard riff being played and it pans over to none other than Herbie Hancock playing himself shredding on the keytar in the subway station. Pretty sure this thread recommended Herbie Hancock to me and it was awesome getting to tell the girls that he is a famous jazz musician. We ended up listening to a couple of his records that I have and they really enjoyed them!

Edit: For hip-hop content, I didn't realize that Hancock's single "Rockit" in 1983 is considered the first jazz hip-hop single and was also the first mainstream single to feature scratching.

you're my new fav poster in the thread

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Housh posted:

Hope SEX drops an album soon.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

http://girlmeetsworld.wikia.com/wiki/Herbie_Hancock
poo poo that's amazing. I really think they limited him in that role because he's the modern miles davis. he isn't just the hiphop jazz guy. plus the keytar is a meme and it devalues his contributions behind the boards. Sidenote, rockit gave me nightmares as a kid because the uncanny valley and disembodied limbs flailing around.

temple fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 20, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Herbie Hancock owns, Head Hunters alone will get you into that Toe Jam and Earl vibe instantly.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

temple posted:

poo poo that's amazing. I really think they limited him in that role because he's the modern miles davis. he isn't just the hiphop jazz guy. plus the keytar is a meme and it devalues his contributions behind the boards. Sidenote, rockit game me nightmares as a kid because the uncanny valley and disembodied limbs flailing around.

While the keytar may be seen as “silly” or a meme, Herbie played it live quite a bit and it’s honestly one of the more iconic images of him when he is rocking out on a keytar. Plus thinking from a shot framing point of view, it might have been weird to have them interact while Herbie is sitting down. I dunno, I thought it was funny and it got my nieces to listen to his music so that’s an automatic win.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

you're my new fav poster in the thread

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not but thanks either way!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Found a new favorite on spotify discover last week. Old Man Saxon. Start with "The Perils" and everything off the album of the same name.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My wife is awesome and for my graduation she set up a hotel and bought tickets for Joey Bada$$

Edit: I was wrong on the concert that I looked at, and am actually more hyped now. She got tickets to Run The Jewels

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 21, 2018

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

My wife is awesome and for my graduation she set up a hotel and bought tickets for Joey Bada$$

Edit: I was wrong on the concert that I looked at, and am actually more hyped now. She got tickets to Run The Jewels

She got herself tickets to see Lorde. You just get to tag along for the opener :respek:

temple posted:

Sidenote, rockit gave me nightmares as a kid because the uncanny valley and disembodied limbs flailing around.

That was my jam, the disembodied limbs were the best part.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

highme posted:

She got herself tickets to see Lorde. You just get to tag along for the opener :respek:

Mitski is cool too

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

highme posted:

She doesn't even like lorde (i do)

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 21, 2018

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
so uhh, my buddy went to a Chinese (like, from China) hip hop show in DC last night, and while he seemed stoked on it, to me it seems like it's basically just Chinese guys mimicking trap and I kind of hate it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r5vjA_NrK4

maybe they sound better in Chinese

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 21, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You can't pay me to click that poo poo

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
thats the right decision and to be honest i only included a link because i thought someone might ask

temple
Jul 29, 2006

that made my skin crawl

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

^burtle posted:

Herbie Hancock owns, Head Hunters alone will get you into that Toe Jam and Earl vibe instantly.

I still don't understand how the flute from Watermelon Man hasn't been sampled more.... or whatever that pipe is. You know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: The Higher Brothers bang. I'm not gonna poo poo on their lyricism because they're literally learning English in the last year. They clearly flow in their native tongue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGyQNEtHnI

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 21, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Something about Chinese guys doing trap seems wrong to me

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Higher brothers are cool

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I clicked it for you, it was terrible

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
talk about a counter-culture though. didn't the chinese government recently outlaw rap?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Figured I would share another "MrSargent's life with hip-hop" story with all of you. My friend (who was a goon with username FreeBob1717) was killed in a car accident 12 years ago and his birthday is coming up and I have been thinking about him a bit. One of my favorite memories of him is when he introduced me to Deltron 3030 back in the year 2000.

Now I need to paint a picture of him because it makes the story more interesting. He was by far the nerdiest kid I had ever met, got picked on in school, and didn't have a lot of friends. But I took the time to get to know him and found him to be incredibly smart, funny, sarcastic, and a great friend. He is the last person I would have expected to introduce me to Deltron, and we would drive around absolutely blasting 3030 in his '89 white Volvo. I still think of that time as when I started to really appreciate hip-hop that wasn't just the poo poo played on the radio.

In the year 3030, you are an MC FreeBob1717.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rest in Power FreeBob1717

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9pc1Z7NMg

Something about this hook loving works and gets me.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

^burtle posted:

I called my record store earlier this week because out of all the Herbie Hancock albums I own, I don't have Head Hunters and Future Shock. They got both of them in and I picked them up today! I also found an old Jay Dilla single on vinyl of "gently caress the Police" and "Move" on the B Side. This is back when Dilla was producing under the name Jay Dee and I had to have it as a cool piece to my collection, especially since it is in near perfect condition.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was looking up who produced Crabs in a Bucket because it's one of my fav hip-hop tracks in recent memory and it's pretty unique in how it crosses genre lines, and uhhhhhhhh, Bon Iver?! :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

drake sucks