Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

docbeard posted:

On a related topic, if you had to pick, would you watch The Deadly Assassin or The Keeper of Traken? (Saving Logopolis for a first-and-last episode binge somewhere down the line.) (e. I've seen them all, but not for a very, very long time.)

Deadly Assassin. The first and only good “Doctor goes to Gallifrey” episode, plus I’m not super-keen on Tom Baker’s last season. Right between Sarah Jane and Leela is a pretty great time in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Servoret posted:

Deadly Assassin. The first and only good “Doctor goes to Gallifrey” episode, plus I’m not super-keen on Tom Baker’s last season. Right between Sarah Jane and Leela is a pretty great time in comparison.

Thanks. Thinking of this as a rough lineup when I go through with it:

One: Probably one of the new BF First Doctor Adventures, mostly because I want an excuse to buy the new BF First Doctor Adventures.

Two: The Mind Robber look there is a character called The Master that is good enough. (Also I will probably take the opportunity to finally track down and read The Dark Path)

Three: The Daemons. I need to sit down and properly go through the Pertwee years in general at some point, but I remember this one being talked up pretty highly as a highlight of the Delgado Master stories.

Four: The Deadly Assassin

Five: Time-Flight. BECAUSE I MUST SUFFER FOR MY SINS. (And because Castrovalva is his first episode and because I'm already throwing plenty of money at Big Finish for this exercise.)

Six: The Mark of the Rani

Seven: Survival would be the obvious choice, and I love it, but I again want to save it for an eventual First And Last Of Every Doctor binge. I've heard Master, and it's probably the least worst Lidster story I've ever listened to, but I don't really feel the need to hear it again. Oooh. Dominion fits the bill perfectly.

Eight: Um...The Movie, clearly, but again, looking to avoid first and last episodes. Are there any particular Eight and the Master BF stories that aren't Dark Eyes (because I'm not quite ready to dive in there yet) that are recommended? Huh. It looks like The Light at the End is my other option, and I haven't heard that, and I clearly need to.

Nine: Probably swap in one of the War Master stories instead because of course there's nothing else really that fits aside from MAAAAAAAYBE Simon Pegg's character from The Long Game.

Ten: Comedy option: School Reunion. Probably end up watching The End of Time again because I love it AND I WILL FIGHT YOU

Eleven: Missy's technically involved with The Bells of St. John I guess.

Twelve: I used Dark Water/Death in Heaven for my Cybermen binge, and World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls is effectively Twelve's last episode, so probably The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar.

Wrap-Up: The Curse of Fatal Death

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Davros1 posted:

I had a dream I was WATCHING an episode on Jago & Litefoot :(

What, Talons?

Servoret posted:

Counterpoint: TDA is the reason that the rot set in with the Time Lords

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's not Bob Holmes's fault that JN-T was constitutionally incapable of leaving well enough alone. Keeper of Traken is competent, but it's also one of many stories that you can quite comfortably cut half the running time from and it still works as a story and makes sense while losing nothing of value.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 20, 2018

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Counterpoint: TDA is the reason that the rot set in with the Time Lords

They were already a bit crap in The Three Doctors.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jerusalem posted:

The cliffhanger where Scarlioni shows up somewhere he absolutely should not be AND asks the Doctor by name what he is doing there is one of the best cliffhangers the show has ever done. I still remember my reaction the first time I saw it :vince:

You’re very pretty, probably.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

You’re very pretty, probably.

"Be careful, my dear, I don't think he's as stupid as he seems!"
"My dear, nobody could be as stupid as he seems."

I miss Douglas Adams.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

City of Death is a quote machine.

"You know, I think something very funny's going on. Do you remember that man that was following us? He's standing behind me, pointing a gun at my back."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What, Talons?

Sadly, no.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
New logo

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Better than the last two.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I like it. And much as I like the Tardis, I always hated it being in the logo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pretty!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eh. It looks a little too Supernatural for me, but whatever, small fish.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Ah, they've redecorated!

I don't like it.

(Actually, I do :ssh:)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope in the opening the camera swooshes through the O and all the other letters fly away because look at it and try to say it isn't designed perfectly for that

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/966040430164021249

McDragon posted:

I hope in the opening the camera swooshes through the O and all the other letters fly away because look at it and try to say it isn't designed perfectly for that

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/966040262857449472

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was just about to post those :argh:

This looks like the poster to a kid's fantasy movie....which is a pretty appropriate aesthetic I suppose.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

howe_sam posted:

I was just about to post those :argh:

This looks like the poster to a kid's fantasy movie....which is a pretty appropriate aesthetic I suppose.

https://twitter.com/hellothisisivan/status/966049321492852738

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love Doctor WI lo

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, that's better actually. Still, that is a mightily swoosh-throughable O in the middle there.

Hey, I'm getting excited about Doctor Who again. It's a nice feeling.

Also look at those big fuckin' boots. Those are some good rear end-kicking boots.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I like it a lot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ehhh I'm not really feeling that log-

Nevermind now I love it :)

Edit: Those loving boots :swoon:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...oh, brilliant!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This I like, and I agree that it looks like a Pink Floyd album.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Billie Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
More like the Endless River Song.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ha! Nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Can we not loving do this

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In silhouette it looks like she's wearing a jumper and boots, which is cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like that a lot. Kind of Art Deco-y.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh, hey, BritBox is in Canada now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Can we not loving do this

What's wrong with it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The jump in visual quality from RTD to Moffat (helped by the shift to HD plus Moffat blowing the entire loving budget) was pretty big, but so far everything done under Chibnal's watch has had an amazing stylized feel that I am absolutely loving.

I cannot wait to see how it comes across in an actual full episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The jump in visual quality from RTD to Moffat (helped by the shift to HD plus Moffat blowing the entire loving budget) was pretty big, but so far everything done under Chibnal's watch has had an amazing stylized feel that I am absolutely loving.

I cannot wait to see how it comes across in an actual full episode.

Yeah, it's sort of got an art deco thing going on for it. It feels really optimistic, which is fitting for the show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't be a loving poo poo show Chibnall

For the love of God just please

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Who Thread: Please Don't Be A loving poo poo Show Chibnall

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:aaa: This is really cool.

:aaaaa: So is this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

Agree. Just the red was okay but I agree it looked too Diablo/Supernatural. This is simple and elegant with a dash of whimsy.

• Locked thread