Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Verman posted:

I'm through the worst of it now but I have an annoying lingering shallow cough. I've stopped taking mucinex and just sound like I have the black lung.

So all Seattle hockey players have Bradf0rd disease, got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

aunt jemima posted:

So all Seattle hockey players have Bradf0rd disease, got it

I'm pretty sure I brought my particular strain back from Iceland a day before hopping on the plane to Denver. Mostly sure.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Glad I didn’t spend much time talking to you (i think?) during our game then?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

Glad I didn’t spend much time talking to you (i think?) during our game then?

yeah that was me wondering about the 4 v 4 real quick - would've stuck around and bullshitted (e: infected) w/ you SAD! folk but was loaded on cold meds and meeting up with the Superchronics dudes.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 20, 2018

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those guys were cool and nice except for when one stopped aunt jemima on a layup and when they called me a sandbagger

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
yeah that was probably joe

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Well I would submit that our joe is superior in every way and also that guy made me kinda try for like 2 shifts so gently caress him.

Pond hockey is cool and good and the Colorado Pabst tournament is probably the easiest for newbies to play in. The tournament itself has a “we don’t care” division, the ice is flooded 2x a day (?), the town/Frisco has decent infrastructure and it’s an easy 65 min drive to/from Denver where flights seem to be reasonable.

What I’m trying to say here is, thread, strive to be normal enough to find 5 people to play in this next year and do it because it’s the best tournament that we’ve played in and we’ve done 3 so far.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Verman posted:

I got taken down on a breakaway and give a penalty shot. I faked backhand and went wide forehand and scored. I take the next face off and get a jump into the zone but was too exhausted to do anything useful so I took a slapshot from the top of the left circle hoping for a change. It went under his armpit and in. 2 goals in one shift.

A couple summers ago I had a two goal shift, started with a rebound putback. We won the ensuing face off clean and I put it over the goalie's glove for two goals in ten seconds of game time.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My normal rink doesn't even have a stick and puck. Now that I have a car, yesterday I went to another rink I hadn't been to (Ice Vault in Wayne, NJ) to do stick and puck for the first time! Lot of kids but there was room and being able to just mess around with a puck for an hour and a half was awesome. I actually almost started feeling comfortable doing sharp-ish turns with the puck on my backhand.

Recently my puckhandling has felt a lot better and I've actually been able to do some pretty decent little dekes, but I still have 0 shot and just haven't had enough time with a puck to know what to do with it when I get in closer to the net.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockey is good except when it's the Avalanche playing the Habs.

Pond hockey is the god-tier form. Weather was great, ice was great (except day 1), team was great.

I am exhausted and will accomplish nothing of worth at work for at least the next 2 days.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My newest stick seems to be breaking internally. It's a CCM Tacks 5092, and it's been a good, responsive stick, but for the second time I had to empty out some plastic fragments. I'm wondering if this means it'll break soon or is it just residual plastic from manufacturing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was busy this weekend.

Friday
* Hockey game 11pm (1 goal)

Sunday
* Skiing 6am - 3pm
* Hockey game - 8pm (2 goals, 1 assist)

Monday
* Hockey game 9pm (1 goal, 1 assist)
* Hockey game 11pm (1 goal)

I'm exhausted. I feel like I've been playing really well and I can definitely tell that playing 2-3x per week has made a huge difference as well as my backyard stick handling. I got tripped and fell right to my elbow which is swollen and red now despite elbow pads. I got boarded in my first game last night and my shoulder/neck is stiff today. I got tripped on a breakaway in my second game last night and landed square on my hip which is also sore. Watched an opponent go awkwardly into the boards and break her collarbone. I crushed a girl who turned into me with her head down. I saw her at the last second and just bear hugged her as we collided. She screamed "oh gently caress". We hit and I caught her so that she wouldn't just slam to the ice. I said "sorry, you ok?" as I gently laid her onto the ice like a parent putting their kid to bed but then I left her and hustled to go get the free puck. It was awkward but I felt bad because I hit her really hard.

Luckily I have a 4 day break from hockey. I will be taking an epsom salt bath soon.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
As I turned 30 this year, I decided to start playing hockey. Strong roller blade / roller skate / skateboarding / balance in general as a kid and my 5 year old is starting floor hockey, so what the hell I'll go all-in.

Bought all used equipment on OfferUp except for skates, which I also bought off offerup but were still new (seller bought them online, didn't fit, sold at discount). Got an RBZ stick in great condition for $15, thought of reselling it and buying a few sherwoods but gently caress it I'll use the RBZ.

First few times on the ice were great. Felt off-balance trying to decide if I needed to stay on my heels or toes before finding the answer was "bend your knees stupid". Played on some outdoor mini-rink with a stick and puck a few times, got unreasonably sore in my back and started working out at home to strengthen those lower back muscles.

Got to play a pickup 4-4 game on a small outdoor rink with some (unskilled) high school kids. They had me dog tired after an hour but I was more comfortable with passing and keeping my head up.

And now, northern illinois in february, 50 loving degrees. Of all years to get this bullshit it's the year I want it to stay cold. All outdoor rinks are toast and I have to start paying for indoor time.

So question: Should I just jump feet-first into rat hockey? Local rink is 6:00 AM Wednesdays so I can't imagine a lot of people show up, and those who do won't be high school kids ready to whoop the poo poo out of me. Or should I pay for an adult instructional and wait a month or two for it to start?

I don't have aspirations to join a league this year, but I want to start making the connections with other players so I can possibly play fall hockey or get started spring of next year with a real team.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Take any chance you can get to play, IMO. If you do a few pickup games you'll be so much better than never-evers in an instructional league and probably get more out of the instruction.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 20, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How "northern illinois" is "northern?"

I'm in the SW chicago burbs and most rinks around have a adult learn to play. Hunt around your local rinks for something similar. It is hard, because most rinks have lovely websites.

But if you fail that search, then yeah, just go to rat hockey. No one will care.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Can you do both? Pick-up is fun but depending on how good it is, instructionals can be good for drills, positioning, etc. - stuff that can really help when it comes to actually playing organized games.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My first time playing goalie the session was labeled "Stick time" which apparently means "pickup game" in Atlanta. I was so bad that a guy basically stood behind the net and told me how far over I should be going.

Wouldn't change it for the world though. I really had fun learning that way.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

How "northern illinois" is "northern?"

I'm in the SW chicago burbs and most rinks around have a adult learn to play. Hunt around your local rinks for something similar. It is hard, because most rinks have lovely websites.

But if you fail that search, then yeah, just go to rat hockey. No one will care.

fox river valley. There are three rinks to choose from within an hour drive but the closest is super busy with organizations and doesn't offer a lot of adult beginner stuff before summer. The other one put a ban on rat hockey through winter for whatever reason, though it might be back up now. I think I might drop in on their instructional class to see how it goes.

A big constraint for me is time. I've got three kids under 6 at home so getting out is a big of a luxury. 6 AM rat hockey works because nobody else is awake. 7 PM instructional becomes problematic. Doing both + public skate turns into my wife wanting to kill me for not giving her a break too.

And yes, I know it's stupid to get into hockey with no budget and no time, but I'mma do it anyway

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well "fox river valley" is a pretty huge region. :v:

All Seasons in Aurora has a Thursday night instructional at 10pm (9pm in summers). It's where I started, it's a super chill skate. You get about 45 minutes of skating drills then they open the ice for scrimmage that lasts until people's legs give out. It's basically 2 hours of ice for $20 and you can't beat that.

Canlan in Romeoville has a Sunday morning instructional league, with drills and ref'd games. You can drop in at 8:30am for a clinic, full signups won't be until the summer session in May-ish.

I've heard Edge Ice in Bensenville has good beginner hockey, but I've never gone. Their website is poo poo turds so I've never been able to figure out when it's actually held.

Fox Valley Ice Arena I've never done league skates due to time conflicts, but they have chill rat hockey almost every day of the week in the AM. Like, there might be 6 of you total. I've heard their league is run pretty well and they do have some adult instructional, I've just never done it myself.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

Well "fox river valley" is a pretty huge region. :v:

All Seasons in Aurora has a Thursday night instructional at 10pm (9pm in summers). It's where I started, it's a super chill skate. You get about 45 minutes of skating drills then they open the ice for scrimmage that lasts until people's legs give out. It's basically 2 hours of ice for $20 and you can't beat that.

Canlan in Romeoville has a Sunday morning instructional league, with drills and ref'd games. You can drop in at 8:30am for a clinic, full signups won't be until the summer session in May-ish.

I've heard Edge Ice in Bensenville has good beginner hockey, but I've never gone. Their website is poo poo turds so I've never been able to figure out when it's actually held.

Fox Valley Ice Arena I've never done league skates due to time conflicts, but they have chill rat hockey almost every day of the week in the AM. Like, there might be 6 of you total. I've heard their league is run pretty well and they do have some adult instructional, I've just never done it myself.

I've posted a lot about my job in the other threads and I don't want to be too specific about my area in case I piss somebody off and they want to dox me.

I didn't know All Seasons had open session after their instructional. That is a really good deal for $20 and I'm gonna have to check that out this week.

Fox Valley is stupid competitive to get into because of their skate school, high school groups, junior Cyclones, and Chicago Steel. Summer should have more programs but winter is definitely not the time to get in there. Their rec league is also something like $400 / each, which seams high. As of now they have rat hockey Wednesday morning at 6 AM but no other days.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
There are so many of us around Chicago, we should all chip in to rent the Studio Rink at Robert Crown for an hour or two and play. Pretty sure it's $120 an hour.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Seeing y'alls facebook pics this weekend, and seeing my 5-year memory thing of going to Colorado has reignited interest of our team wanting to go again in the next year or 2. Also remembering that we had rad jerseys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, I don't need more people on the forums with firsthand experience of how lovely I am at this game.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

Nah, I don't need more people on the forums with firsthand experience of how lovely I am at this game.

If you're familiar with All Seasons you could probably meet up with me and gain a ton of confidence that you're way better than at least one forums poster

and you could make fun of my super lovely second hand gear

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

The first time I ever put on a pair of hockey skates was barely over a year ago, so I highly doubt you'd be the worst one out there.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

I'm exhausted. I feel like I've been playing really well and I can definitely tell that playing 2-3x per week has made a huge difference as well as my backyard stick handling

I played after you last night (after your first game). You looked very smooth out there. Didn't see you goal since I went into the room to dress when it was still 0-0. I was on the stripey team. My team lost 5-1. We were playing the top team in the division ahead of us and we only had 7 skaters. It was a lot closer and if we had a full lineup I bet the game would have been even. I go the lone goal for our team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I certainly have more game experience and that's worth something, but my skating and shooting is complete horseshit. I don't skate often enough and my conditioning is poo poo, I have no doubts that someone who's actually worked at it for a couple years would be significantly better than me.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My dude I just started skating last month

Though I did spend a summer as a roller skating mascot panda at a kids skating rink so I've got that experience under my belt. A surprising number of body checks...

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

We are welcome of all kinds. All the way from people who used to play Junior B all the way down to "has never played a game of hockey ever." Just don't be a garbage human. Mutual hatred of EA Sports NHL games is also a plus.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Tank44 posted:

I played after you last night (after your first game). You looked very smooth out there. Didn't see you goal since I went into the room to dress when it was still 0-0. I was on the stripey team. My team lost 5-1. We were playing the top team in the division ahead of us and we only had 7 skaters. It was a lot closer and if we had a full lineup I bet the game would have been even. I go the lone goal for our team.

Ah that sucks. We started 15 minutes late due to the game before us which got crazy chippy in the 3rd period and full of penalties/stoppages. I would have said hey had I known you were there but I had to leave in full gear immediately after and drive to olympic view for my 11pm game. I literally dropped my bag, laced my skates and jumped onto the ice.

I've never scored in 2 different rinks in one night before so thats cool. I'm definitely feeling the soreness in my shoulder and neck from being boarded though.

Were you playing with the mudflaps or jokers last night?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My dude I just started skating last month

Though I did spend a summer as a roller skating mascot panda at a kids skating rink so I've got that experience under my belt. A surprising number of body checks...

Holy poo poo, if you ever start a team, you have your mascot. Also, hitting people who are skating with their heads down prepares you well for beer league hockey. Just prepare for the onslaught of slashes and cross checks that will follow a successful knockdown.

Also, gently caress yes. Guess I'm saying goodbye to $1,000 on march 1st.

https://www.sonicsrising.com/2018/2/20/17032748/seattle-nhl-expansion-ticket-drive-mayor-jenny-durkan

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 21, 2018

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Well poo poo I'd dare say you're ready to go!

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Verman posted:

Were you playing with the mudflaps or jokers last night?
Last night was jokres.

Also saw that would played with Carrie in your earlier game and against her in the later game. That's funny

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Tank44 posted:

Last night was jokres.

Also saw that would played with Carrie in your earlier game and against her in the later game. That's funny

I don't think Carrie plays on the Vandals (4C). I only sub on the vandals so I've only played 1/2 season with them but I don't recall playing with her.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

Verman posted:

aq
I don't think Carrie plays on the Vandals (4C). I only sub on the vandals so I've only played 1/2 season with them but I don't recall playing with her.

Oh my bad.looked like her. Another person with long blond hair (or I'm losing my sight)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

Oh my bad.looked like her. Another person with long blond hair (or I'm losing my sight)

that's Melissa the captain (I think?).

Verman posted:

Didn't know you were subbing with them. I'm on their garbage lower version and Joe w/ the big rear end beard was on my colorado pbr team. Go steal his fancy new stick away from him. :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Tank44 posted:

Thats Melissa the captain.

I only know like 5 people's names on the Vandals. I've been playing with them about 6 games now. Its going to be really awkward when my 8th game for the Vandals (need 8 for playoff eligibility and also the last game before playoffs) is against my primary team, the weasels despite being different divisions.

I'm playing for the Vandals that game. I'll bet I draw at least 5 penalties.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you can skate with us anytime as long as you're ok with me yelling at you to move your goddamn feet and also i pass the puck way too hard because it makes me feel like a big man

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can only catch a hard pass during practice. In a game? That poo poo is gonna sail right by so you better get your line change done because the rush is coming back.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Played pick up last night, 7 skaters on each team so we played 4 on 4. We had a kid in his early 20s that took like 8 minute shifts and refused to play defense. We were all just rotating on for whoever came off except the ironman. When someone finally came off calling forward he would just glide around the neutral zone waiting for a long pass. No poo poo you're not tired kid, you haven't moved in 3 minutes while we were stuck in our zone down 4 on 3. On the bright side I skated a couple shifts with our team captain and we hooked up for a few goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I certainly have more game experience and that's worth something, but my skating and shooting is complete horseshit. I don't skate often enough and my conditioning is poo poo, I have no doubts that someone who's actually worked at it for a couple years would be significantly better than me.

I'm gonna be playing again in a month or so when I get back from New York and man is my conditioning going to be absolute poo poo. I have done no exercise since coming here short of walking. Probably gonna at least try and run a few times before hopping back on the ice but gently caress it beer league is for gassing out rapidly and getting caught pinching anyways.