Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, uh, I don't think using the CIA was an accident; they wouldn't have been able to point out that Killmonger was CIA-trained and following their playbook otherwise.

That exposition doesn't really need to come from Ross though. The Wakandan intelligence network is probably advanced enough to have a profile available on Killmonger.

edit: doesn't Killmonger reiterate the CIA spiel himself at some point or am I misremmbering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Killmonger's CIA background ends up being pretty irrelevant though- he didn't have to do any sort of cloak and dagger poo poo or set up a rebellion to overthrow T'Challa- all he had to do was show up, prove his ancestry, and throw him off a cliff.

His CIA background was presumably important in his being able to lay the groundwork for the worldwide uprising/Wakandan empire, but that plan was raised and aborted so quickly that it barely mattered, and we saw basically none of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Didn’t they just adapt the comics? Was Ross being in the CIA a problem then? Or just this movie?

I’m asking because saying this has “the worst politics of all time” is a pretty insane claim to make, and I’m curious if this carries over to the source

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing about the movie's handling of the CIA is, while it addresses the bad things the CIA has done, it largely plays them as a loving joke. Black Panther treats American imperialism as something that's not Good, but also something that's not really worth taking seriously that you can just kind of laugh off while dealing with what the movie considers to be the actual problem, "black people who are too violent and angry." i was being hyperbolic when i said it's the worst of all time, but holy gently caress that message is up there on the worst-ever list.

e: I've only read the runs by Priest, Hudlin and Coates. Coates is fine. Hudlin is staggeringly awful, but from different angles (what he did to Storm is loving abominable). Priest is... a good read from an apolitical perspective, but I haven't really gone back to it since I started really paying attention to this sort of thing, so I can't comment there.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 20, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess it kind of makes sense if we're looking at Wakanda as an aspirational, fantasy Africa. It's a universe where the rest of the world's governments continue to exist only so long as Wakanda is gracious enough to allow them to exist. They are mighty enough to render the CIA an impotent, minor nuisance. It's an empowerment fantasy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Didn’t they just adapt the comics? Was Ross being in the CIA a problem then? Or just this movie?

I’m asking because saying this has “the worst politics of all time” is a pretty insane claim to make, and I’m curious if this carries over to the source

Ross was assigned to be a liaison to watch over Panther while he was operating in the US. He’s an okay dude and sort of the audience’s POV to Panther’s world. People are making a bigger deal out of things.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 20, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

I guess it kind of makes sense if we're looking at Wakanda as an aspirational, fantasy Africa. It's a universe where the rest of the world's governments continue to exist only so long as Wakanda is gracious enough to allow them to exist. They are mighty enough to render the CIA an impotent, minor nuisance. It's an empowerment fantasy.

but then this clashes hard with the movie's ultimate message that Wakanda needs to use its resources for the betterment of black people's lives worldwide. what, are they gonna do that with the loving CIA's help? because that idea is at best laughable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, if the movie's trying to say that black people should subvert the deep state from within and use its entrenched power to their own ends, i'm not really against that, but that really didn't seem to be the movie's message so much as "the deep state is already your friend."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I feel like you're massively overrating the importance of the CIA as presented in this movie.

The CIA ain't poo poo to Wakanda. Wakanda cares about the CIA insofar as it stays the gently caress out of their way. Ross is basically a pet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I feel like you're massively overrating the importance of the CIA as presented in this movie.

The CIA ain't poo poo to Wakanda. Wakanda cares about the CIA insofar as it stays the gently caress out of their way. Ross is basically a pet.

Martin freeman in Black Panther = Limo driver in Die Hard

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I gotta say this has certainly been the most interesting debate thread over a comic book movie in a long while here, maybe ever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, if the movie's trying to say that black people should subvert the deep state from within and use its entrenched power to their own ends, i'm not really against that, but that really didn't seem to be the movie's message so much as "the deep state is already your friend."

I didn't think the message of the movie was that the deep state was already your friend. The deep state is already implied to be one of the things that twisted killmonger into a villain. He became a better killing machine by participating in the CIA's convert ops and likely hardened his views even more.

Also the deep state is already your friend doesn't jive with how the movie turns out. Wakanda has to go and help minorities and the disenfranchised because the existing political systems aren't doing enough.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I know I've been a huge smartass here, but more seriously: I get that the CIA is going to be a huge lighting rod because of what it is IRL, but insofar as it's even in BP it's there to highlight how Wakanda is NOT subject to the whims of white imperialism. The CIA as a whole simply doesn't matter in this movie, and the lone CIA presence is a straight-up hapless sidekick to drive this home.

The CIA are boogymen to the rest of the world, but not to Wakanda. It's like saying the US is worried about the intelligence service of... I dunno, Liechtenstein or something, it doesn't compute. Wakanda sees the CIA - who couldn't even figure out that they EXIST - as beneath them.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
You’re underselling his presence in the movie, especially considering how pivotal he is to the story. In any event, I think it’s both Shuri and Okoye who express fear that he’s going to reveal all of Wakanda’s secrets to the American intelligence community. The safety of Wakanda is not built on its technological advancement; it’s based on being hidden. Sure, they could clearly hold their own in a fight but their lives become much more difficult once they (and the vibranium mines) are exposed to the world.

But, beyond that, it really is more about the symbolism of the white CIA agent being a (twice) self-sacrificing hero whose last scene is risking his life to prevent violent rebellion in the name of imperialism. The Wakandan actions make sense in this construction; it’s just a weird thing to have written into the story.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

what the movie considers to be the actual problem, "black people who are too violent and angry." i was being hyperbolic when i said it's the worst of all time, but holy gently caress that message is up there on the worst-ever list.

You would have a point if they didn't play Killmonger's arguments as completely legitimate. Which they did. T'Challa agrees with him. It's his methods that they criticise. He IS to violent and angry. You can rebel against injustice and oppression without straight up becoming a mass murdering rear end in a top hat. If he'd got those weapons out to the world how many innocent people would have died in the war he started?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, uh, I don't think using the CIA was an accident; they wouldn't have been able to point out that Killmonger was CIA-trained and following their playbook otherwise.

It wasn't an accident, he was a prexisting character from the comic that was added by the first black author to write for black panther to be an intentional mockery of the whiteboy that reads comic books and that is why he is named after ross from friends

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is Black Panther's Killmonger the Best Villain Since the Joker? – Wisecrack Quick Take

Hot Take, coming thru!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Michael B Jordan has the best hair, mustache and awesome steroid shoulders, so possibly, yes he is.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can't think of any reason that a utopian country that has not had a war in a thousand years and only uses combat symbolically would only have impractical symbolism laden weapons?

It seemed very extremely obvious they were choosing to engage in civilized combat and could have made shotguns and nuclear bombs and whatever if they had wanted But aren't like us savages that resort to primitive weapons.

Sorry to quote so-far-back, but Wakanda has definitely been involved in wars in the last 1000 years. Their weapons are clearly as lethal as any other tech out there, Killmonger mentions that a 'spear' can take out a tank. That's fairly practical.

Is the ending battle 'civilised'? Were Wakandans killing each other? It certainly looked like they were trying to.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It wasn't an accident, he was a prexisting character from the comic that was added by the first black author to write for black panther to be an intentional mockery of the whiteboy that reads comic books and that is why he is named after ross from friends

That’s not what he does in the movie though, so I’m not sure why it matters. He’s portrayed as smug and ignorant but also heroic and well intentioned. Either he’s meant to be emblematic of the CIA generally, and that’s a very generous view of the CIA, or he’s just a dude who happens to be a CIA agent and the movie has nothing to say about the CIA at all.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

well why not posted:

Sorry to quote so-far-back, but Wakanda has definitely been involved in wars in the last 1000 years. Their weapons are clearly as lethal as any other tech out there, Killmonger mentions that a 'spear' can take out a tank. That's fairly practical.

People were clearly dying in the final battle but it seems really clear that it was friend vs friends in a war where everyone was mostly wacking eachother with the staff side of the spears of knocking each other over with knockback guns. It seems like either side could have easily at any time just murdered everyone instantly but everyone sort of agreed to only kill a little and mostly just bop each other around a bunch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s not what he does in the movie though, so I’m not sure why it matters. He’s portrayed as smug and ignorant but also heroic and well intentioned. Either he’s meant to be emblematic of the CIA generally, and that’s a very generous view of the CIA, or he’s just a dude who happens to be a CIA agent and the movie has nothing to say about the CIA at all.

It’s the second one

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's just a natural outlet of Disney's worship of the Deep State and their movies all having a similar theme of "you did bad things to get the material wealth you had, but you feel bad about it, so it's ok!". The villain of Marvel movies is the villain because they don't feel bad about the bad stuff they've done to get their wealth; this is often why people say the villains are "mirrors" of the hero but they are just the hero without the courtesy to say "yeah that was a nasty thing I did...."

natural outlet of disneys worship of the deep state is my band name

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I mean, this movie kinda half hearts trying to think of something to do with the guy but the absolute primary reason he's in this movie is because he's in the comic. It's the same reason the movie does "he's fighting klaw! no wait! now he's fighting killmonger!" and why they go hang out with man ape. Most movies like this end up being greatest hits lists of the main cast. It's like superman movies and jimmy olsen, sometimes they think of something for him to do and sometimes he's totally superfluous but he's in every movie because that is who is in superman movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This movie is The Phantom Menace.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Imagine if at the end of Episode I, Darth Maul apologizes to Qui-Gon Jinn while lying there cut in half. That's this movie.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the second one

"hmm this is simply an aspect of his character, nothing more"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. Because they are adapting the source material. So if it’s not a problem in the source but it’s a problem in the movie then

:thunk:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Yes. Because they are adapting the source material. So if it’s not a problem in the source but it’s a problem in the movie then

:thunk:

movies are different from comics OP

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Also, Ross was not a CIA agent in the comics!
He's Department of State, NSA and Shield. This might just be splitting hairs as all those organisations have their own problems, but he wasn't CIA. That's a MCU change.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Imagine if at the end of Episode I, Darth Maul apologizes to Qui-Gon Jinn while lying there cut in half. That's this movie.

That would have made TPM infinitely better.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the second one

Your goal here is to normalize the presence of the CIA and push it as ultimately benign. To what end? What is your investment here?

Like the people saying it’s an empowerment fantasy because Mr. CIA is a nerd. Bullshit. An empowerment fantasy would be a dead nerd. Give him a knife in the brain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

garycoleisgod posted:

He's Department of State, NSA and Shield. This might just be splitting hairs as all those organisations have their own problems, but he wasn't CIA. That's a MCU change.

Okay, this answered my question thank you. Then it’s fair criticism.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wakanda doesn't have any people in it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's like superman movies and jimmy olsen, sometimes they think of something for him to do and sometimes he's totally superfluous but he's in every movie because that is who is in superman movies.

The most recent Jimmy Olsen appearance in a Superman movie has him playing a CIA agent working undercover in Africa to further a western agenda. He gets shot in the head.

Quite the contrast.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

should have apologized to the audience

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

garycoleisgod posted:

And specifically wasn’t it a change for this Movie? I could have sworn in Civil War his position was more of a vague Tom Clancy counterterrorist operations commander than being flat-out CIA.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

And specifically wasn’t it a change for this Movie? I could have sworn in Civil War his position was more of a vague Tom Clancy counterterrorist operations commander than being flat-out CIA.

He changed jobs in between movies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gatts posted:

He changed jobs in between movies.

I love both this movie and Civil War, so I'm loath to point this out, but outside of the scenes with Bucky in both films they take place like, a week apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It seems real weird to say the movie doesn't take any stance on the CIA and that they are basically just nebulously there because Ross has to be. They show up a third of the way through the movie doing one of the things Wakandans seem to fear most about people discovering them (greedily chasing Vibranium), take custody of the arms dealer who they were previously buying from and who BP was hunting, then we find out that they explicitly trained the main villain in the "murder people and destabilize governments" strategy he uses to briefly take over Wakanda.

Like, they have the biggest influence on Wakanda the outside world has ever had, immediately before they reveal themselves.

• Locked thread