Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The split point is shortly after saber is summoned so not that much retreading. You can even skip the prologue on replays so even less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Oh right on! Thanks for the quick and informative responses. :)

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There's zero overlap between the three routes after Day 3. Fate and Heaven's Feel have the Berserker fight play out the same way then diverge after, UBW diverges hard starting at the Berserker fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Make sure to collect all the death scenes for the Taiga Dojo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

RevolverDivider posted:

There's zero overlap between the three routes after Day 3. Fate and Heaven's Feel have the Berserker fight play out the same way then diverge after, UBW diverges hard starting at the Berserker fight.

There's definitely a lot of repetition on exposition, with scenes that play out almost exactly the same.

Hot take: you could skip the VN and watch ufotable's adaptation. Aside from a couple scenes that work better in text, the anime gives off a strong vibe of "hey Nasu, if you could've done things differently, what'd you change?" to the improvement of the story.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I would agree if we were talking about UBW season 1, but outside of a few standout moments, season 2 was largely nowhere near as good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If one is new to the franchise and has already gone through Fate there's really no reason to skip UBW VN, literally the only reason I'd ever do so is for people who absolutely refuse to read VNs in the first place.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
If you don't read all three routes of the VN + 100% Hollow Ataraxia, then you're frankly disgusting and might not even qualify for human rights.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Good arguments but at least when it comes to Heaven's Feel, after watching the first film I can already tell I'm going to be sending people directly to that rather than reading the route.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The VN still does a better job at UBW np scene.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

At this point I think I'm gonna finish the VN because I've already done a whole route in it. If any of the other adaptations are good though, I'll definitely check them out.

For that matter, what would you consider must-[read/view/play] in regards to Fate? I've heard good things about the Fate/Zero anime so I was planning to check that out after I finish Fate/stay night. I'm already playing Grand Order, which is what got me in this mess in the first place.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

There's definitely a lot of repetition on exposition, with scenes that play out almost exactly the same.

Hot take: you could skip the VN and watch ufotable's adaptation. Aside from a couple scenes that work better in text, the anime gives off a strong vibe of "hey Nasu, if you could've done things differently, what'd you change?" to the improvement of the story.

actually you're wrong and should drown in your ideals and die

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

100 degrees Calcium posted:

At this point I think I'm gonna finish the VN because I've already done a whole route in it. If any of the other adaptations are good though, I'll definitely check them out.

For that matter, what would you consider must-[read/view/play] in regards to Fate? I've heard good things about the Fate/Zero anime so I was planning to check that out after I finish Fate/stay night. I'm already playing Grand Order, which is what got me in this mess in the first place.
Fate/Zero is worth experiencing, especially after finishing the last route in FSN because it's more or less a direct prequel to it specifically and it has some interesting things to say about some characters you already kind of knew and a few cool new ones. I don't think it stands very well on its own (especially, as it is wrongfully often pitched, as something you could watch as your introduction to Fate in general) and a lot of fans seem to miss the point with regards to how some characters are sort of complete gently caress ups, but it's still overall a net positive towards the world building.

Fate/hollow ataraxia is a direct sequel/follow-up VN to FSN and is an absolutely joy to experience. It has a "serious" plot for one to digest but its main appeal is that it is able to focus more on slice-of-life shenanigans and has some of the best character moments and catharsis in the entire franchise as you get to know a lot of characters from the original better. It honestly might be my favorite Fate work. As a Grand Order player, it will definitely help inform a lot of things about the franchise in that game, as well as the tone that the franchise likes to take when it wants to get silly (see, also: Carnival Phantasm).

There are some other things like Fate/Extra or Apocrypha but YMMV with those. Zero and hollow ataraxia are the two that I feel strongest about and would call mandatory, especially hollow ataraxia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Id only really call ha mandatory

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I don't really know what I expected, but I feel like the scene-skipping in Fate/stay night is really slick. This is going to be painless, and probably mercifully fast compared to my first playthrough. I was dreading needing to flip through pages and pages of Fujimura flipping out over breakfast or whatever.

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 21, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
fuji... yama...? *said as i unsheathe my blade*

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

fujimaru ritsuka-nee

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
carnival phantasm should be considered mandatory along with hollow ataraxia imo

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The lovely thing is, the moment I realized my error, the forums went down.

Early on and Unlimited Blade Works is already really intense! Each route apparently gets its own OP in Realta Nua and seeing what kind of changes this one teases was enticing. I'm really psyched right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The lovely thing is, the moment I realized my error, the forums went down.

Early on and Unlimited Blade Works is already really intense! Each route apparently gets its own OP in Realta Nua and seeing what kind of changes this one teases was enticing. I'm really psyched right now.

you should look up the vita openings too, those are crazy good

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you should also watch the heavens feel movie

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

astr0man posted:

carnival phantasm should be considered mandatory along with hollow ataraxia imo

The problem being Carnival Phantasm is only 60% Fate. So, they wouldn't get why creepy animal monster dude has the same voice as Kire or why each episode opens with a bunch of pallet swapped chibi catgirl clones of which one has the same voice as Kire. :psyduck:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

AlternateNu posted:

The problem being Carnival Phantasm is only 60% Fate. So, they wouldn't get why creepy animal monster dude has the same voice as Kire or why each episode opens with a bunch of pallet swapped chibi catgirl clones of which one has the same voice as Kire. :psyduck:

Well there is an easy (if somewhat time-consuming) solution to that...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There's parts of Tsukihime that are brilliant, but it's even more flawed than F/SN. There are parts that make me think, "That's not in very good taste, Nasu," and parts that make be think, "This is basically Twilight for boys, isn't it?"

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Curry and rear end.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I like Nasu when he's doing urban horror/noir so I'm still pretty fond of it, and am really looking forward to what the team can do in the remake, assuming Monoji Tsukuri is the director at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Silver2195 posted:

There's parts of Tsukihime that are brilliant, but it's even more flawed than F/SN. There are parts that make me think, "That's not in very good taste, Nasu," and parts that make be think, "This is basically Twilight for boys, isn't it?"

I still remember the night time meeting between two serial killers years afterward.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Tsukihime is really good, and people who have not read it are beneath even the Secondaries, may Allah have mercy on them

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Tsukihime is really good, and people who have not read it are beneath even the Secondaries, may Allah have mercy on them

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also, read the Tsukihime manga

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Everyone should experience DOORSHARK at least once.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Twilight for Boys is pretty much spot on. And made me reconsider my own earlier biases and hang ups about the Twilight series after watching that one episode of LWA where I decided that if Twilight was an anime I'd probably like it a lot.

I still think it's fair to critique the more puritan religious subtext of twilight though.

Nine of Eight posted:

Everyone should experience DOORSHARK at least once.

I got it on my first try. :D

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Holy poo poo I forgot about doorshark. I really need to play all the routes I missed.

In UBW News

NO WHY :gonk:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Twilight for Boys is pretty much spot on. And made me reconsider my own earlier biases and hang ups about the Twilight series after watching that one episode of LWA where I decided that if Twilight was an anime I'd probably like it a lot.

I still think it's fair to critique the more puritan religious subtext of twilight though.

Tsukihime has a protagonist whereas Twilight doesn't, has a wide cast of likeable characters, and it also feels like a story that's part of a larger world to which effort was put into.

You can argue about similarity of goals but the level of execution is incomparable, and if you think you'd like Twilight if it was an anime (btw it exists), you're just admitting to having really bad taste.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Holy poo poo I forgot about doorshark. I really need to play all the routes I missed.

In UBW News

NO WHY :gonk:

Look man, Taiga may not look it, but she is a responsible adult. She's not gonna let Shirou, a healthy young teenage boy, let healthy young teenage girl(s) stay over unsupervised.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Look man, Taiga may not look it, but she is a responsible adult. She's not gonna let Shirou, a healthy young teenage boy, let healthy young teenage girl(s) stay over unsupervised.

It's not fair. In the last timeline I had my stomach scooped out by a roided out demigod, but at least Taiga went the gently caress home and stayed home.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Tsukihime has a protagonist whereas Twilight doesn't, has a wide cast of likeable characters, and it also feels like a story that's part of a larger world to which effort was put into.

Shiki is kind of a crappy protagonist, TBH. He doesn't have a very consistent personality (which I suppose is due to the bajillion different magical and chemical factors messing with his brain, but that doesn't make him interesting), and he comes across as dense and/or an rear end in a top hat in the oddest ways sometimes (like how he ignored Akiha for a decade, then switched to ignoring Miyako Arima; kind of a lovely older brother). SHIKI is a compelling villain, but Nrvnqsr and Roa aren't (the former is too :geno: and the latter too pretentious.) I like all the heroines, though (Akiha in particular is a much-better character than she has a right to be, given her Doylist reason for existing).

I definitely agree about the larger world; it's a pity we don't see more of those aspects of the Nasuverse (e.g., the other Dead Apostle Ancestors, the Burial Agency, the less Westernized parts of the Japanese supernatural community).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 21, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The last Twilight movie doubles as one of the greatest comedies of our day.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

It's not fair. In the last timeline I had my stomach scooped out by a roided out demigod, but at least Taiga went the gently caress home and stayed home.

You... you are getting the Taiga Dojo's, right?

I don't understand how someone could dislike Taiga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Shiki is kind of a crappy protagonist, TBH. He doesn't have a very consistent personality (which I suppose is due to the bajillion different magical and chemical factors messing with his brain, but that doesn't make him interesting), and he comes across as dense and/or an rear end in a top hat in the oddest ways sometimes (like how he ignored Akiha for a decade, then switched to ignoring Miyako Arima; kind of a lovely older brother). SHIKI is a compelling villain, but Nrvnqsr and Roa aren't (the former is too :geno: and the latter too pretentious.) I like all the heroines, though (Akiha in particular is a much-better character than she has a right to be, given her Doylist reason for existing).

I definitely agree about the larger world; it's a pity we don't see more of those aspects of the Nasuverse (e.g., the other Dead Apostle Ancestors, the Burial Agency, the less Westernized parts of the Japanese supernatural community).
Shiki is meant to be an rear end in a top hat, though? Iunno, I find him interesting because he's such a non-heroic protagonist. Even in his totally lucid moments, he only helps Arcueid because he has to, he ignores Satsuki and Miyako, and he's just generally not that great of a guy. He's not like, a total monster, but even Ryougi is more of a standard hero than he is, without making like, a huge deal of it. Shiki's relatable because he's kind of a dick.