Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Is that before or after he wrote a series of drunken love letters to Thor?

Both. Notice in his series of "love letters" to Thor, he has Thor agree with the villain that Gods are unneeded and the universe would be better off without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Where's the lie.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Where's the lie.

No universe would be better off without Hercules.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Where's the lie.

I don't want to live in a universe without Steve Rogers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Something something Squirrel Girl

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gavok posted:

Yeah, Bullet Points is essentially a What If world where different characters end up with different hero identities. Steve Rogers is Iron Man, Peter Parker is Hulk, Bruce Banner is Spider-Man and Reed Richards is Nick Fury. Then there's something in there about Stephen Strange being Wolverine, but that's immediately forgotten about and JMS figures he has enough story going on that he can stop creating new hero twists.

I thought they were done with multiverse crap, or is it a one shot series?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Infinitum posted:

I thought they were done with multiverse crap, or is it a one shot series?

Bullet Points is about a decade old

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh

:v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also they literally just announced they're relaunching Exiles.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
between ultimates, america, spider-gwen, usavengers, the new exiles, etc where did you get the idea that marvel is done with multiverse stuff

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When the hell did they say they were done with multiverse "crap"? They just decided not to have a line in a separate universe. (And even that's not really true given Spider-Gwen.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Getting rid of alternate universes would be such a bad idea.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lurdiak posted:

Getting rid of alternate universes would be such a bad idea.

I remember, when I was little, Marvel was the company that overused time travel and DC were the ones with a bajillion alternate universes. Looks like Marvel has switched gears.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The problem with DC was never that they had too many alternate universes, it's that they used them so confusingly and destroyed/recreated them endlessly.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Just wait until Rebirth 2: Electric Blue-galoo

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hiddenriverninja posted:

Just wait until Rebirth 2: Electric Blue-galoo

Rebirth already had a Superman Red/Blue storyline

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
There was also a Red/Blue Superwoman story recently.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ah, well then :eng99:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ya, beard-Superman and t-shirt-Superman were revealed to each be basically Red and Blue, so when they got smooshed back together, we got the broadly pre-New 52 Supes we have now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lurdiak posted:

The problem with DC was never that they had too many alternate universes, it's that they used them so confusingly and destroyed/recreated them endlessly.

The fact that DC's go-to in relation to having confusing multiverses is to have a reality-changing event that involves every character from every universe ever crossing over, bringing in characters no-one's even thought about for years unannounced and using them in significant plot points, and doing so every couple of years will never cease to be funny.

Final crisis had a bunny superman in it with a carrot on its outfit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Captain Carrot?

e - He wasn't a mainstream character, but he was reasonably well known to the comics community.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 19, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I know you're not talking poo poo about Captain Carrot

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

purple death ray posted:

I know you're not talking poo poo about Captain Carrot

I heard that in order to achieve tumescence he needs to kick a puppy to death.

In all seriousness though, the reason why that stood out so much to me was that after the jumbled mess of this, the umpteenth crisis event that was designed to simplify and streamline the universe somehow via layer upon layer of over complicated bullshit, was that during the grimdark finale of the final battle against the Grim dark powers of Grim Darkness, a loving bunny rabbit comes out of nowhere because why not at this point?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Breetai posted:

I heard that in order to achieve tumescence he needs to kick a puppy to death.

In all seriousness though, the reason why that stood out so much to me was that after the jumbled mess of this, the umpteenth crisis event that was designed to simplify and streamline the universe somehow via layer upon layer of over complicated bullshit, was that during the grimdark finale of the final battle against the Grim dark powers of Grim Darkness, a loving bunny rabbit comes out of nowhere because why not at this point?

The stuff involving Captain Carrot had been set up during Countdown to Final Crisis(indeed off the top of my head it's one of the only things from that awful bunch of comics to actually have any real relevance to Final Crisis as an event)

Also DC had originally planned on pulling a New 52 reboot after Final Crisis(hence the name) but changed their minds

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 20, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If I recall Final Crisis, weren't all the lanterns and the Zoo Crew showing up basically Superman summoning everything positive and silly in the DCU to kick the metaphorical representation of dark, toxic storytelling in the butt?

e: Right after he brought existence back by whistling into a wish machine.

The world being saved by corniness was the whole thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 21, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

If I recall Final Crisis, weren't all the lanterns and the Zoo Crew showing up basically Superman summoning everything positive and silly in the DCU to kick the metaphorical representation of dark, toxic storytelling in the butt?
Pretty much, yeah. That's kind of a theme with Morrison; he's not a fan of the idea that darker = more realistic = better writing.

quote:

e: Right after he brought existence back by whistling into a wish machine.

The world being saved by corniness was the whole thing.
Hell, Superman ultimately defeats Darkseid with the power of music.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, Superman ultimately defeats Darkseid with the power of music.

Ah, the old Ming-mei Strategem.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Lurdiak posted:

"Was"?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Injustice 2 #41

Ted Kord was killed by Ra's Al Ghul and the Suicide Squad. Booster Gold wasn't allowed to interfere and could only be there for him in his final moments. Ted's dying request was for Booster to go mentor Jaime Reyes. While training Jaime (via throwing a tire at him), the two were met with Ted's lawyer.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Gods above and below! That panel is so quintessentially Booster it almost hurts. Of course, it's even more quintessentially Ash Williams.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I can't explain why, but somehow my thought jumped to Knight Rider. I have no clue why, especially since I have no actual memory of Knight Rider.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I'm just really glad this seems to disprove that stupid article I read that decided Booster kissing his dead friend on the forehead meant they were a gay couple in the Injustice continuity. Also loving that Booster is living in a trailer. I can't see superheroes getting sponsorships and ad gigs in the Injustice universe so it makes sense.

Now the Injustice universe just needs to give Booster his adopted daughter back. :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dragon_pamcake posted:

I'm just really glad this seems to disprove that stupid article I read that decided Booster kissing his dead friend on the forehead meant they were a gay couple in the Injustice continuity. Also loving that Booster is living in a trailer. I can't see superheroes getting sponsorships and ad gigs in the Injustice universe so it makes sense.

Now the Injustice universe just needs to give Booster his adopted daughter back. :argh:
They are gay lovers and it's great.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Ted is a lovely boyfriend if he let Michael live in a trailer instead of marrying him and letting him live in the lap of luxury.
:mad:

Daniel Sampere did a really good job of giving Ted a dad bod. Not many cape artists can do different body types that well.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 21, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Why is Video Game Adaptation Injustice better than mainline DC?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Toshimo posted:

:shrug:

My understanding of Injustice 2 is that it's mostly grimdark popcorn, but they actually addressed that Harley was in an abusive relationship with Joker, and gave her a fairly grounded and respectful arc involving dealing with that. Dunno how much that has to do with it, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Because they're not beholden to the status quo, they can actually explore new and interesting ideas for characters.

If they wanted to kill off Superman/Batman/whoever permanently they could.

It's a universe with consequences.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Probably because it is off in its own little corner which frees Tom Taylor from being micromanaged to death by corporate.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Toshimo posted:

A. it's being created by some people who are actually quite good, and B. they're beholden solely to the continuity that exists in a fairly-continuity-light video game series. They couldn't kill off, say, Superman (because he's in the game, you see), but beyond that they have a degree of freedom that just can't really exist within a mainline continuity - not least of which because it can be the vision of a singular group of creators rather than the continuity-by-committee approach that comics is necessarily forced into. There's no one else around to say "wait I have it I'm gonna make Guy Gardner a genocidal maniac too" that they have to accomodate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toshimo posted:

Because there are no rules other than, Superman is the villain and Batman is the hero. Everything else is up for grabs. As far as I understand it, it's not even really beholden to the lore of the first game beyond the basic premise.

It's great because it has so much freedom and almost no one can say no. It's like a well written ongoing "What if" in the DCU.