Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popelmon posted:

I'm on ep 4 now and I still like Z-Nation. I'm also somewhere in the middle of season 2 of Van Helsing and between these two shows The Walking Dead just feels redundant.

Z-Nation certainly feels a lot goofier but I just can't hate a show that has DJ Qualls as the Dj (heh) of the apocalypse.

DJ Qualls is such a weird looking dude. He's like if Tobey Maguire and Crispin Glover were combined in Seth Brundle's telepod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm out...i don't get performance art.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The one thing I'll never understand about Z-Nation is its fans' constant need to compare it to the Walking Dead. Its like comparing Breaking Bad to the Big Bang Theory because they're both about scientists, or something. They're just so completely tonally different that they're speaking to entirely different audiences.

I mean, I get it. Zombie shows. But its weird when fans are still doing it in S4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't notice until he played young Chevy in the National Lampoon biopic but god drat Joel McHale really looks and sounds like a young Chevy Chase, it's uncanny

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because The Walking Dead is so terrible that you can genuinely compare it with a comedy Zombie show.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Timby posted:

DJ Qualls is such a weird looking dude. He's like if Tobey Maguire and Crispin Glover were combined in Seth Brundle's telepod.

He is like Keanu Reeves. He doesn't age but unfortunately he is stuck on the bad side of that, he is 39 (!!!) but he still looks like he is 16.

Edit: Okay, enf of episode 4 of Z-Nation. Now I know what kind of show this is going to be and I'm 100% on board.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 20, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

I didn't notice until he played young Chevy in the National Lampoon biopic but god drat Joel McHale really looks and sounds like a young Chevy Chase, it's uncanny

Wait, that Netflix thing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I'm out...i don't get performance art.
It’s a pretty white girl acting super weird isn’t that so weird why isn’t she being a normal pretty white girl?!?!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s a pretty white girl acting super weird isn’t that so weird why isn’t she being a normal pretty white girl?!?!

Because she also sings pop music that is basically an American version of K-pop, so I imagine like 49 million of her 50 million followers come from Korea and Japan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Poppy's weird but I admit that Money song was kind of catchy and got stuck in my head for months as my shame.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

McHale gave an interview with Variety the other day and he basically says he knew that the Soup was dying when they told him he was no longer allowed to make fun of the Kardashians.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Graham Norton Show continues to be the GOAT:
https://twitter.com/intpsarah/status/964962012156526592

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Cool. What's another normal/safe weird youtube thing? I dig those types of stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

She's a robot. I would have thought that was obvious but a lot of people seem confused about the whole thing. To me it's not very weird, just well done.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

that just seems like a regular expression

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh so it's like ASMR in that it's a sex thing dressed up in just enough pretense to provide plausible deniability.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Frankenstein Chronicles any good? I think the premise sounds stupid, but I do like Sean Bean...

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just spent like an hour researching what Poppy is and I don't really understand the point. I guess I'm just not "down with the times" or some such. I don't get it. I don't even understand if it's a satire or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

I just spent like an hour researching what Poppy is and I don't really understand the point. I guess I'm just not "down with the times" or some such. I don't get it. I don't even understand if it's a satire or something.

Join us, we have rocking chairs and we wave out canes angrily at the children who might dare to walk on the grass.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its not exactly a new thing, you had people like Klaus Nomi and David Bowie doing gimmick personas back in the 70s.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

You spent an hour trying to understand “girl pretends to be a robot”?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She breaks the persona in interviews so it's just a bit of fun. Not sure what's confusing about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it’s by a youth so therefore it must be inscrutable and dumb

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Escobarbarian posted:

You spent an hour trying to understand “girl pretends to be a robot”?

Is that what it is? That's kinda what my daughter said but she also likes homestuck so I don't really trust her opinions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t blame you on that one. But yeah it’s just a satirical thing where she pretends to be a robot who’s attempting to vlog. Like the “apology” video posted earlier in this thread was uploaded just after all the pewdiepie controversy a year ago

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bit of news about Avatar The Last Airbender. They are releasing a new Blu Ray set of the show May 1st in true 1080p. It's still 4:3 but now you can see the artwork in high quality. The old DVD set looked terrible. You can also buy the digital HD on iTunes/Google and it looks glorious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Bit of news about Avatar The Last Airbender. They are releasing a new Blu Ray set of the show May 1st in true 1080p. It's still 4:3 but now you can see the artwork in high quality. The old DVD set looked terrible. You can also buy the digital HD on iTunes/Google and it looks glorious.

That's great news, the DVDs look awful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

You know how people create an AI to read Harry Potter, or an entire TV series and then generate a chapter/script for it? Its basically that but in human form.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9UcfgkU8hk

No I remember watching it, there was a thread and everything

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doFpACkiZ2Q

So Netflix picked up an old Derren Brown special from 2016 (The Push) and now bloggers are losing their minds about how tv has gone too far.

Too bad none of them did even a cursory google about Derren Brown (he does this stuff all the time, it's no where near as controversial as anyone these bloggers make out), the show (which aired in the UK 2 years ago and isn't, as one of them seems to think, a multi episode series with contestants and prizes) or bothered to watch any of it (the whole thing is on youtube) before writing their flaming hot takes.

Smh.

Also I guess in their quest for "Netflix Originals" they've now gone from buying the distribution rights to first-run stuff from other studios to buying old previously aired material and trying to pass it off as Netflix originals?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

blunt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doFpACkiZ2Q

So Netflix picked up an old Derren Brown special from 2016 (The Push) and now bloggers are losing their minds about how tv has gone too far.

Too bad none of them did even a cursory google about Derren Brown (he does this stuff all the time, it's no where near as controversial as anyone these bloggers make out), the show (which aired in the UK 2 years ago and isn't, as one of them seems to think, a multi episode series with contestants and prizes) or bothered to watch any of it (the whole thing is on youtube) before writing their flaming hot takes.

Smh.

Also I guess in their quest for "Netflix Originals" they've now gone from buying the distribution rights to first-run stuff from other studios to buying old previously aired material and trying to pass it off as Netflix originals?

They did that for Arrested Development. I mean, its not entirely inaccurate to say that, are they planning on making new content from these properties?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

blunt posted:

Most of the "Netflix Originals" are stuff that's run in other countries. That's been the case for years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ever since Derron Brown did the lottery thing, I just can’t be bothered. The one off show he did on C4 back in like 1997 (before he had a series) was really good, shame he just didn’t stick to that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm wondering, has season 2 of Falling Water addressed the fact that Will Yun Lee got completely yoked between seasons?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It took months for me to finish Legion, and even then I had to binge the back half in one sitting. I like mutant stuff and I like artsy stuff (see: Hannibal) but for some reason, Legion just never worked for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Heathers pilot is out. It's pretty good, and does some cool things. I'm again feeling pretty excited about the show.

Josh Lyman posted:

It took months for me to finish Legion, and even then I had to binge the back half in one sitting. I like mutant stuff and I like artsy stuff (see: Hannibal) but for some reason, Legion just never worked for me.

I was always frustrated by how slow the plot was, and that it wasn't particularly interested in its characters. Then you get that giant infodump in episode seven and I was just left with the feeling of... is that it?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've been watching Channel Zero and I'm really impressed with it so far. It's like an artsy "prestige TV" version of American Horror Story, and it does a good job of being creepy in really creative and smart ways instead of leaning on shock value or jump scares.

I just started Season 2 and this poo poo is :suspense:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Heathers pilot is out. It's pretty good, and does some cool things. I'm again feeling pretty excited about the show.

Had me at Squaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

I've been watching Channel Zero and I'm really impressed with it so far. It's like an artsy "prestige TV" version of American Horror Story, and it does a good job of being creepy in really creative and smart ways instead of leaning on shock value or jump scares.

I just started Season 2 and this poo poo is :suspense:

I rewatched Season 2 just this weekend, and I think it really rewards repeated viewing. There's a surprising amount of depth to the thing -- for instance, the first time through I missed a lot of what the season was doing with gender, and what the season seems to be implying about Dylan and Lacey's relationship. That, and the symbolic stuff with the flowers and the pools of water have taken on a new dimension. It's nothing mind shattering, but it's very cool.