Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I tried last night (my time) and couldn’t get into a game, but I’ll give it another shot in a few minutes. Just going to go get a cup of coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

I tried last night (my time) and couldn’t get into a game, but I’ll give it another shot in a few minutes. Just going to go get a cup of coffee.

They're having to reset the servers everyday right now, sometimes multiple times, because they'll start having problems with invites and matchmaking after several hours. Sometimes you get lucky and they work perfectly and sometimes you don't.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Any tips for best practices on actually getting a match? I haven’t gotten past the “Match Found. Loading Map...” screen yet. Trying to play on US West, always picking Mission 1 since I figure that’ll have the most people.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Not really. It takes awhile to load though and will go through several different screens while loading.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Regrettable posted:

Not really. It takes awhile to load though and will go through several different screens while loading.

How long is a while? Trying to figure out if I should cut my losses at some point, leave the lobby and re-queue for a game. I’ve been on that match found loading map screen for ten minutes now, for instance.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

How long is a while? Trying to figure out if I should cut my losses at some point, leave the lobby and re-queue for a game. I’ve been on that match found loading map screen for ten minutes now, for instance.

Yeah, that's way too long. It takes usually takes about 2 minutes once it's found a match. Finding a match usually takes from a few seconds to a minute but sometimes it can take longer.

e: What CPU are you using? We've had a few people in the Discord who can take several minutes to load in after the match has started and I think that might be the main factor.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 19, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, that's way too long. It takes usually takes about 2 minutes once it's found a match. Finding a match usually takes from a few seconds to a minute but sometimes it can take longer.

e: What CPU are you using? We've had a few people in the Discord who can take several minutes to load in after the match has started and I think that might be the main factor.

i5-8400. I cut my losses after a while and tried again but still couldn’t get into a game. I can reliably get to that map loading screen but no further.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

i5-8400. I cut my losses after a while and tried again but still couldn’t get into a game. I can reliably get to that map loading screen but no further.

The base frequency on that is only 2.8Ghz and this game seems to really want higher CPU clock speeds. It might not be initiating the Turbo Boost for some reason.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Regrettable posted:

The base frequency on that is only 2.8Ghz and this game seems to really want higher CPU clock speeds. It might not be initiating the Turbo Boost for some reason.

Fair, it is an alpha. I’ll keep trying—I want to see how it actually goes when I get into a match—but if I need to hold off on this until they’ve done more optimization work then oh well.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hey I'm occasionally getting games on my busted rear end old rig so there's hope for everyone. AMD 8320 Black Edition 3.5ghz and a Radeon HD7950. Getting 40-60 fps on LOW setting.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Pirate Radar posted:

Any tips for best practices on actually getting a match? I haven’t gotten past the “Match Found. Loading Map...” screen yet. Trying to play on US West, always picking Mission 1 since I figure that’ll have the most people.

Try switching from West to Europe. Lag hasn't been an issue for me on European servers.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Welp, it looks like a lot of people are getting stuck at match loading so I may have been wrong. The suggested course of action is to try the EU servers.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Montoya here:

The server bug isn't so bad once you get the hang of it. Once you join and click play with or without a partner, you get the matchmaking screen. It should show with map on the left with a greyish screen on the right.

Once a 'Match has been found' it shows the map, and the grey screen turns black.*

Then the screen goes black.

The after 30 secs in shows you some weapons with a loading screen.

Then the screens goes black.

Then it shows you "Waiting for players" with a black screen.

Then you load in but cant move, you can look around but not check your inventory.

It then says "Ready"

*If the screen doesn't turn black here after a few seconds, you have the bug and should restart. Everything else is just Alpha crap unfortunately.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Cool, I’ll try Europe when I get the chance and be more aggressive about leaving/retrying when it just sticks me at the map loading screen.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Spawned with pistol and single shotgun. Still got 3 kills, then we got sniped by a team with spark rifles. Never even saw them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I did and I managed to hit one twice and the other once but I didn't down them. We could hear them there shooting sporadically for about ten minutes and when we finally went over they were upstairs peaking through boards in the walls. I knew one of them moved out of the barn to flank us because I kept shooting them through the walls but I couldn't find him in all the brush.. They were the last team on the server aside from us. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Double bounty mode is neat, though we had to go looking for PvP as everyone was being babies, the newly dangerous mobs killed everyone, or disconnects are still frequent enough to put us in fairly empty games.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Orv posted:

Double bounty mode is neat, though we had to go looking for PvP as everyone was being babies, the newly dangerous mobs killed everyone, or disconnects are still frequent enough to put us in fairly empty games.

Dungeons and I have mostly had the opposite experience running the Gauntlet. Almost everyone seemed to be looking for a fight.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Is it normal now to coordinate and group up in solo? 3 times tonite while queueing solo I've come across groups of 2 or more working together. That's pretty bullshit. On the upside one of the groups I broke up via clumsy revolver fight. Another group didn't know where they were getting shot from and I managed to drop all 3 of them while they frantically moved from location to location trying to find me.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Untrustable posted:

Is it normal now to coordinate and group up in solo? 3 times tonite while queueing solo I've come across groups of 2 or more working together. That's pretty bullshit. On the upside one of the groups I broke up via clumsy revolver fight. Another group didn't know where they were getting shot from and I managed to drop all 3 of them while they frantically moved from location to location trying to find me.

Solo and duo are put into the same battles, there is no separate queue. This game is good but solo play seems to be designed for misery to encourage teaming up and playing the game normally.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Weird as gently caress. That still doesn't explain the group of 3. What the gently caress though? I've just been playing on hard mode this whole time? I was just too lazy to set up a mic for team play.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The solo was probably just being opportunistic and trying to take advantage of the fight to get some kills. Dungeons and I had that happen the other day while we were fighting a team.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
There are people who do coordinate into larger groups, just going by what I've seen posted on the discord server, but I imagine that's a very rare occurrence. I'm really curious how the solo/duo situation is going to play out as the game develops; the game is flat-out designed for teams of two, and I think they're too worried about long queues in a niche game to keep separate matchmaking service for each mode. But the battle royale audience that they're going to need to attract and win over is full of people who prefer to go it alone, and I'm pretty sure the crowd excited at the prospect of The Most Dangerous Game has a lot of loners too.

Also, it's not going to take long for people to get really bothered by the risk of your rando teammate being a griefer that kills you as soon as the match starts.

Sard fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 21, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I've done solo a fair bit - my success rate is much lower than when grouped with someone good but it's 100% doable.

In solo you can't be as aggressive, you need to be stealthy and get the drop on people. Fortunately in solo you CAN be much more stealthy than in a pair. Quickly take one out with explosives, a sparks, a shotgun, or dynamite. Once you have one down then it becomes a favorable engagement as now you are 1 on 1 with a surprised guy who wants to get his buddy back up. If you miss the first kill, or you give your position without effective damage your odds go down dramatically.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Closed alpha ends tomorrow.

:reddit:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
On solo vs. duo: the game definitely feels more set up for two. I had a lot more fun with a partner, even though it was a random matchup and Windows decided not to recognize my mic as a device for some reason.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Pirate Radar posted:

On solo vs. duo: the game definitely feels more set up for two. I had a lot more fun with a partner, even though it was a random matchup and Windows decided not to recognize my mic as a device for some reason.

The extra set of eyes is key. My success with Montoya is usually derived from him being the long range / sniper / sights while I go in and tear poo poo up close range.

I hope they release early access purchases soon after alpha ends.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I went out on a high note.

Montoya and I completed the gauntlet, after only running into one group who promptly got themselves eaten by the butcher. Sort of a let down, but we had fun PvE'ing and skipping out with both bounties.

Went solo with a Tier 2 badass which I equipped with the best gear I had available. Railed two guys in the swamp with the sparks, camped the boss for a few minutes and wound up killing a guy with the hatchet part of the romero hatchet. Killed the butcher and got out clean.

I'll miss you, Hunt alpha.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

RIP janky alpha.

Onward to early access!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Untrustable posted:

RIP janky alpha.

Onward to early access!

I wouldn't call the game janky - once you got in. Half the battle was fighting the menu screen and crycloud errors before the match even loaded.

I was fine once I was in the game - but people with weaker PC's reported a healthy amount of crashing issues.

The good news is that Crytek was very much on top of poo poo, releasing patches frequently to improve performance and kill bugs.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'll be getting this game until waaay down the road. The optimization issues within were just too much and even though they were absolutely on top of things, it still ran mostly like garbage on my system which has handled everything else thrown at it BUT this game.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I didn’t have any performance issues to speak of on my rig once I got into games, even after bumping it up to 2K. I’m looking forward to early access, especially if they get an Asia server.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Game is up on Early Access, $30.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Been watching the alpha gameplay, think I'll pick this up. Is there a goon discord?

Green Man Gaming has it up for $30 + with 20% off on a voucher 'TRYTHESE20'

greenmangaming.com/games/hunt-showdown-pc/

E: nvm just saw the OP

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
30 Bucks is a loving deal. I would have paid 60.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
bought! now to jump on discord tonight if the lady lets me

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

MysteriousStranger posted:

bought! now to jump on discord tonight if the lady lets me

Tonight is date night for me so I am fuuuucked. literally

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Just watched a streamer run around, scare birds, crank open a door, fire wildly, then get shot because they're in the water, and quit because the game sucks where's my refund. lmao BOI this ain't overwatch.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Inside Out Mom posted:

Just watched a streamer run around, scare birds, crank open a door, fire wildly, then get shot because they're in the water, and quit because the game sucks where's my refund. lmao BOI this ain't overwatch.

:allears:

The sad part is that I want as many people like this as possible in the game world. I cannot wait to kill every one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Inside Out Mom posted:

Overwatch makes people bad at FPS games. From Quake to PUBG to Tarkov to this one now. It's really the most dumbed down FPS out there.