Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I've read through it and it doesn't interest me in the least, so go right ahead. I'm hoping to cover the Glorantha Sourcebook and the Heroquest Sartar + Pavis books if possible but goddamn am I not into the 13th age thing. Heinsoo + Tweets writing style is... not enjoyable to me, the idea of cramming Glorantha into a race/class based system feels just wrong, and the book is FILLED with "We mention this, but aren't gonna say anything solid until a later sourcebook!" So you know nothing, LITERALLY NOTHING, about Dragons and Dragonewts in a game set in Dragon Pass, no info about Lunar Magic, they just make up a weird half-assed Monk-variant just to have one because appearently you can't just put dudes from Kralorela or Vormain in.

They also make tricksters TERRIBLE. It's pretty much just Moneycheese lolrandom the class, they totally miss WHY Tricksters are allowed to exist at all in Orlanthi society, and explicitly the class-features don't let you play a loki-esque manipulator and troublemaker, just a doofy clown who is also an rear end in a top hat.

It just feels really bland, like a half-assed D20 product from back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Deptfordx posted:

Ooh. I was very interested in that, in fact I had a question. I don't know much about 13th age. It's based on 4th edition Dnd correct? At least as a starting point design wise. So is it designed with the assumption that you play with a battlemap and figures/tokens like 4th edition does*? I ask because we have a weird setup where 3 of us are in the room, and 2 of our group who moved away just Skype in. It works suprisingly smoothly (once we got a decent microphone and camera and our host upgraded his internet) but it does make any system that requires use of maps and figures a non-starter.

* Yeah I know you could just play it theatre of the mind style with some goodwill and glossing over detail, but ruleswise it's clearly not meant to be played that way.

Honestly, it's only based on 4e in that it has at-will/encounters/etc and is set in a semi-generic D&D fantasy milieu. They aren't that similar when you look at them objectively.

Anyway, 13th Age was actively made with theatre of the mind stuff in mind, so it should work fine for your purposes. There's no 30' ranges that the game pretends can be mapped out perfectly to the GM's mental map of the battlefield or anything like that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ratoslov posted:

It strikes me that having a demigod as the leader of your empire is a terrible idea, since it means anyone else could heroquest up The Story of How The Red Goddess Made Her Child As A Punishment or other equally nasty crap.
It's my understanding that you'd need to do that a lot to actually overpower the prevailing myth, which people heroquesting the normal myth for their own reasons would be counteracting.

Also there's a high chance you'd just fail and not affect anything, except the heroquester just dying, or vanishes into the god-time forever. Going off-script is, if King of Dragon Pass is any indication, pretty hazardous.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zereth posted:

It's my understanding that you'd need to do that a lot to actually overpower the prevailing myth, which people heroquesting the normal myth for their own reasons would be counteracting.

Also there's a high chance you'd just fail and not affect anything, except the heroquester just dying, or vanishes into the god-time forever. Going off-script is, if King of Dragon Pass is any indication, pretty hazardous.

yeah, KoDP is pretty accurate that deviating, even when you succeed can have a lot of unintended consequences. The God Learners manage to muck up things the way they did by sheer numbers and being organized, and they still got turbo-murdered by poking at the wrong gods.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Changing an established myth is really hard, but doable, but it also opens you up to crazy amounts of backlash from outside interference.

The Lunars ritually murder the god of winter every year so they can double crop their wheat, which worked great until they ran into a bunch of pissed off Orlanthi heroquesters waiting for them on the way to his house and the Pelorian heartland ended up covered in 10 feet of snow.

The Dragonrise was itself an example of two long, powerful, incredibly dangerous heroquesting plans slamming into each other.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Also, you'll piss off the Cult of Arkat, which is a very tiny but very dedicated cult that basically patrols Heroquests to keep people from loving around with Myths like the God Learners did.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
It's important to remember that "I change the myth" Heroquesting is the exception and not the rule of interacting with the Godtime, the priests and peoples of the religions you're trying to change reenact those myths in the Godtime through their own religious observances all the time, you're not operating in a vacuum. The usual, and still powerful, interaction is rather to say "I am the myth," tying a personal or national struggle into an already existing myth and heroquesting such that your own problems resolve the way the myth does. This is how Arkat is resurrected, by mirroring the resurrection of Yelm as the rising morning sun. It's powerful, profound magic, and while still extremely difficult it is far more reliable and sustainable than retroactively rewriting history, which can entail all kinds of unforeseen externalities that will really gently caress things up.

So you're probably not going to change the myths such that "this nation's god subjugated rival nation's god" as a lone murderhobo, you're going to change the myth as part of the process of conquering that nation with an army and an imposed syncretic religious movement backed up by entire orders of priests heroquesting the desired outcome. But it willchange.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

One of the reasons the Lunars crack down so hard on the worship of Orlanth (besides the fact that Orlanthi get a lot of their awesome storm magic powers from doing those ceremonies, and the fact that they think only the Red Goddess should wield the power of Air) is that it literally makes Orlanth less real. As fewer mortals performed his sacred rites and remembered his great deeds, Orlanth became less imprinted upon Time. He's one of the Great Gods, but during the occupation it really looked like it could be the end.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I never really understood what players in Glorantha would really do. It’s not that the setting is too established for your characters to matter since Stafford encourages players changing the society and talks about ‘your glorantha is different’ but a big part of the setting is about social obligations of different societies and different peoples not getting along, which messes with the standard adventurer narrative and limits player options. Aside from the Lightbringers there isn’t really any in-setting narratives that fit a party of 4-6 low-level weirdos travelling, it’s a lot of powerful individuals waging war. The only way to really do a mixed culture group is a ‘gently caress Chaos’ story, which is cool but misses a lot of interesting stuff.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Reminds me of Forgotten Realms, an entire world statted out in detail and expecting the PC's to be interested in being told No a bunch.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'd say KoDP is a good player facing intro into Glorantha.

Who the gently caress needs to no about solar gates when you need to raid a tribe for cows and constantly tells your karls to shut the gently caress up.

Also
Ducks, don't gently caress with the

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I can only speak to Runequest Glorantha, but a lot of it boils down to murder-hoboing because of your social obligations. Like, one of the published zero-to-hero campaigns is Borderlands, where you're a bunch of mercenaries who got picked up by nobleman exiled to Prax with his family, largely for the crime of being Pelorian without Lunar cult ties. So it's more 'mission' oriented; you're doing things to help secure his land like taking out bandits, fighting disease cultists and broos, rescuing his daughter and investigating the local spirit cult with grandiose world domination plans.

Pavis and the Big Rubble is basically an entire city with an economy built around groups of murder-hobos going into the ruins of the fantastic original version of the city and digging out weird loot, that also happens to have recently been conquered and occupied and thus having a lot of openings in the local cults for people to advance into.

Griffin Mountain is about playing hunter-gatherer tribesmen who hunt, gather, and have mysterious encounters in the wild. It's also about the only RPG sourcebook I know with an explicit...video game style tutorial for learning how to play.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 21, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really know anything about the Glorantha universe besides what I've picked up from write-ups here, but based on my reading of the RuneQuest (2nd Edition) rules and the fact that it's a Bronze Age setting, wouldn't "the four of us are going to hunt down a bear for the tribe" be a legit one-shot adventure?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't really know anything about the Glorantha universe besides what I've picked up from write-ups here, but based on my reading of the RuneQuest (2nd Edition) rules and the fact that it's a Bronze Age setting, wouldn't "the four of us are going to hunt down a bear for the tribe" be a legit one-shot adventure?

Alternately "We're going to hunt down some deer, oh gently caress, there's a bear and/or smilodon from the elder wilds" yeah. (This is literally part of the tutorial quest I mentioned above.)

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

The Runes

The Runes are the building blocks of Glorantha. They are both symbols and the actuality of everything in creation. When they are written the symbol possesses some part of the power of the Rune as a whole. The primal Gods of Glorantha were each associated with a single rune, though now the Gods are associated with many each. They are things, beings, abstract powers, symbols, all at once.

Runes are divided by scholars into four categories: Elements, Powers, Forms, and Conditions. Each god is associated with some combination of Runes which define their powers and areas of influence in the world.

quote:

Owners of Runes
Each of the Core Runes originally belonged to a member of the Celestial Court, the assembly of Old Gods who ruled the universe between its creation and the Gods War. Two types of deities were recognized within this assembly; the Powers and the Elemental Rulers. The Celestial Court was destroyed with the coming of Chaos and the Core Runes are now owned by the Great Gods.

The owner of a Rune can do anything within the ambit of that Rune. Consider Orlanth, the owner of the Air Rune; Orlanth and his worshippers can use the Air Rune to fly, control all aspects of their breath, shater stone with a loud shout, call down thunder against a foe, throw lightning, summon a hurricane, make the sky clear of clouds, and so on. Orlanth and his worshippers can potentially do anything with air, storm, or violence.

Other entities have a more limited access to the potentiality of the Rune. Urox has the Air Rune, but is only the master of the Desert Wind. Humakt possesses the Truth Rune, but can only use it for oaths and honor – not for general knowledge.

A few gods (or their specialized subcults) can use a Rune to command a few limited powers of another Rune. For example, the subcult of Barntar can use the Air Rune to plow their fields (something normally associated with the Earth Rune). That power is exceptional and a result of the mythology of that god or subcult; it is outside the conventional ambit of the Rune.

Elemental Runes

The Elemental Runes are the raw lifeless essence of the universe. The physical material of which the world is made.

Darkness
Cold, the Underworld
Also known as First Born, Waker from the Void. Darkness is the first Element, from which the rest are descended. It came from the Primal Chaos and is traditionally the most potent against Chaos. The weapons of Darkness are the rock and the mace, and lead is its metal. Those with this rune are cruel, cold, and secretive.

Water
Fluidity, seas, rivers
Also known as Son of Darkness, Pathway to the Underworld and Supporter of the Earth. Water was the second element, born of Darkness. The waters of the world constantly flow to and return from Darkness through Magasta’s Whirlpool. The weapons of Water are the whip, flail, net, and trident, and quicksilver is its metal. Those with this rune are mercurial and capricious.

Earth
Physical things, agriculture, solidity
The weapon of Earth is the Axe and copper is its metal. Also known as Queen of LIfe, Mother of Many, Supporter of All. Earth is the Third element and fills the central portion of the world, acting as the primary manifestation of the physical. Earth is one of the most widely represented runes, and almost every culture worships some manifestation of its power. Those with this rune are said to be pragmatic, prudent, and worldly.

Fire
Sky, purity, light, stars, the Sky Dome
Also called Crown of the World, Purity of Station, The Distant One, and Emperor of the Sky Dome.Sky was the fourth element, and is held as aloof from mankind. The weapons of Sky are the spear and bow and gold is its metal. Those with this rune are loyal, honest, and pure.

Air
Breath, violence, weather, storm, wind, the Middle Air
Also called Breaker of Laws, Destroyer of Heaven, Father of Fury, Fighter Against Darkness, and Lightbringer. Air is the fifth born, created from violence which upset the order of the world. The weapon of Air is the sword and bronze is its metal. Those with this rune are passionate, proud, unpredictable, and violent.

Moon
Illusion, cycles, balance.
The Moon Rune is only acknowledged as an Element in the Lunar Empire, and only appeared in the Third Age. The Moon Rune embraces Chaos, and works uniquely among all runes.

Power Runes
The Power Runes are organized into opposed pairs. They are the abstract and theoretical runes, representing the immaterial and conceptual.

Harmony
Cooperation, healing
This Rune represents the Divine Harp which separated Order from Chaos, and is held in high regard throughout the world. People with this rune are forgiving, merciful, and peaceful. Its opposite is Disorder.

Disorder
Trickery, trouble
Some believe Disorder was the first Rune, and so is the foundation of the universe. No One knows where the symbol itself is derived from. People with this rune are destructive, reckless, and selfish. Its opposite is Harmony.

Life
Love, plenty, sex
This Rune symbolizes the Ancient Cup, which poured out the world at the beginning of creation. Those with this Rune are generous and lustful. Its opposite is Death.

Death
Separation, conflict, endings
This is the First Sword which brought Death to the world. It is the fate of all living creatures both mortal and divine. Those with this rune are relentless, ruthless, and unemotional. Its opposite is Life.

Stasis
Immobility, permanence, unchanging
This rune is connected with the Dwarves who say it is the first rune that provided the foundation of creation. Those with this rune are stubborn, inflexible, and exacting. Its opposite is Movement

Movement
Change, conflict, mobility
This rune represents a great wheel. Some say it was the first Rune, for without it nothing could change from Chaos. It introduced violence into the world. Those with this rune are adventurous, dynamic, impulsive, and reckless. Its opposite is Stasis.

Truth
Knowledge, writing
This rune represents the torch that the gods used to illuminate Chos. Its constancy and order set creation apart from Chaos. Those with this rune are truthful and observant. Its opposite is Illusion.

Illusion
falsehood, concealment, tricks
The Father of Lies once claimed this was the first Rune, for without it there would be no one to thin they ever were. He refused to explain further. Those with this rune are deceitful and cowardly. Its opposite is Truth.

quote:

Glorantha
The goddess Glorantha was the daughter of the
Twins, the Firstborn. She is the Source of
Creation and the Soul of the Cosmos. Her first
thoughts were the words "I Am," and from that
all of subsequent reality began. With Ouroboros,
she was the Mother of the Powers, and the Empress
of the Celestial Court atop the Spike. During the
Great Darkness, she was shattered and broken as
terror and hate overtook her children. It is widely
believed that Arachne Solara is the incarnation
of Glorantha in Time.

Form Runes
These are the runes corresponding to living things upon the physical plain. Everything has a form rune, but they are rarely a source of power, instead merely defining the physical form of the being in question.

Plant
This is the symbol of the first life upon Glorantha, as plants came before any other living thing.

Beast
Representing the scale of a dragon, as Dragons are said to be the progenitors of all beasts. If a non-beast has this rune, it often means they can take the form of an animal.

Man
This rune defines mortal thinking beings. It represents the progenitor of all races, called Grandfather Mortal or Old Man.

Dragonewt
Only the strange Dragonewts manifest this Rune, making it exceedingly rare. It cannot be manifested with an Elemental Rune, as the Dragonewts draw their power from their own existence.

Spirit
Representing spirits, and other discorporate beings. Shamans and similar spirit-magic users all possess this rune as well.

Chaos
THose descended or corrupted by the entropic force that is Chaos bear this rune. It never manifests alone, always being paired with another form. It can manifest in any being, and even prompt the mixing of opposing powers due to its taint. This rune is taboo in many cultures, and leads to those bearing it being executed if it is discovered.

Condition Runes
These are essentially the “Miscellaneous” runes. They act as clarifiers, modifiers, and just oddities. There are countless specialized and conditional runes, most tied to a single specific concept, nowhere near as broad as the Elements or Powers.

Luck
Fortuity, fate, destiny
This rune is rarely used, except by the Masters of Luck and Death, a special order of magical Warriors native to the holy country. Those with this rune are reckless and fatalistic.

Mastery
Leadership, authority, sovereignty
This is an all-purpose rune, that represents mastery over any aspect of existence. Those with this Rune ware simply greater is some way than their peers. It is the rune of Heros, Kings, and Masters. Those with this rune are proud, just, and authoritative.

Magic
The rune of magic is the rune of communication between the worlds of men, spirits, gods, and others. It regulates and enhances these interactions and defines the supernatural abilities known as “magic”.

Infinity
All, eternity, everything, divine, True Dragons, Illumination
Those with this rune have transcended physical and spiritual limitations: Some gods, the True Dragons,and Illuminated masters manifest it.

Trade
Communication, exchange
Considered a mix between Movement and Harmony, Trade is also called the Issaries rune. It is the symbol of language, speech, trade, roads, travel, currency, and many others. Those with this Rune are fair dealing and open minded.

Eternal Battle
Anti-Chaos
The Eternal Battle rune is the mark of the Chaos-Fighter, and is used to ward against and destroy those possessing the Chaos Rune. Those with this Rune hate chaos, are violent, and prone to rage.

quote:

Other Runes
Several other runes were known in Dragon
Pass in the Hero Wars period, and other runes
are known throughout Glorantha, sometimes
on a regional or cultural basis. These runes include
specializations of the Element Runes, sometimes
called sub-elements, such as Shadow, Cold, Heat,
and Light. Runes linked to specific gods, Heroes,
creatures, races, cultures, or lands are also known.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Doublepost for the debate: Wait up for me to get further, but Glorantha has a TON of adventure potential way beyond and in addition to traditional murderhobo stuff.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Aside from the Lightbringers there isn’t really any in-setting narratives that fit a party of 4-6 low-level weirdos travelling, it’s a lot of powerful individuals waging war.

Did you know that in RPGs you can just start as powerful individuals

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of how I have loose plans for the PCs in my current game to eventually kill the Prince of Frost and install Santa Claus as the King of Winter.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I never really understood what players in Glorantha would really do. It’s not that the setting is too established for your characters to matter since Stafford encourages players changing the society and talks about ‘your glorantha is different’ but a big part of the setting is about social obligations of different societies and different peoples not getting along, which messes with the standard adventurer narrative and limits player options. Aside from the Lightbringers there isn’t really any in-setting narratives that fit a party of 4-6 low-level weirdos travelling, it’s a lot of powerful individuals waging war. The only way to really do a mixed culture group is a ‘gently caress Chaos’ story, which is cool but misses a lot of interesting stuff.

There is always "your -kinship group/organisation/vast multi cult empire- needs monster X slain for reasons, go do that". I mean you are still partially limited, but even if you set things in Dragon Pass you can still have Esrolians, Heortlings, Eolians etc. You may not be able to have dragon newts, but it is still useful and useable.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Lynx Winters posted:

Did you know that in RPGs you can just start as powerful individuals

I meant that most of the big non-god figures in the narrative aren't small groups, they tend to be one person with a large army. Sheng Seleris didn't have 3 buddies of equalish power hanging around, and nobody mentions Arkat's buddies.

Josef bugman posted:

There is always "your -kinship group/organisation/vast multi cult empire- needs monster X slain for reasons, go do that". I mean you are still partially limited, but even if you set things in Dragon Pass you can still have Esrolians, Heortlings, Eolians etc. You may not be able to have dragon newts, but it is still useful and useable.

this along with all the other examples would work but I don't really like the idea of limiting player options, I guess.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 21, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rifts Sourcebook 4: Coalition Navy, Part 5: "Protected from the fury of the Great Cataclysm, and from decades of corrosion in the environmentally controlled confines of the shelters, the USN Aircraft Carriers CVN 73 George Washington, CVN 82 Ranger and the CVN 85 Lexington languished in silence for centuries."

Vacuum-packed warship.

CSN Aircraft Carriers and Carrier Aircraft

So, we have three aircraft carriers of the "Joseph Prosek Series". Where did Coalition get aircraft carriers? Well...

Rifts Sourcebook 4: Coalition Navy posted:

The three Aircraft Carriers of the Joseph Prosek series were all recovered, refitted and modified by Golden Age Weaponsmiths, Inc., for the CS Navy. Golden Age discovered the Carriers amidst a treasure trove of US Navy equipment stored in mega-damage concrete shelters entombed under a hundred feet (30.5 m) of water at Norfolk, Virginia. Inside the airtight shelters, the Carriers were remarkably preserved in near fighting condition — which is not surprising since the concrete storage bunkers were designed to withstand a direct nuclear attack!

That's right. Three town-sized ships were kept in "environmentally controlled confines" for three centuries. Oookay. I guess if you can make power armor that can take a tacnuke, mayyybe you can keep aircraft carriers in a city-size underwater shelter (why is it underwater?) largely intact for three centuries. I guess that's a thing that could happen. Somehow. Even though pre-rifts America was gearing up for war. I mean, that's what you do before a war, right? Hide your aircraft carriers? Nobody can beat them if they're underground!

Naturally, at 12,000 M.D.C., thousands of troops, and dozens of aircraft, they're well out of any practical use in any sort of systemized combat, despite their laborious combat stats. There's also the newly built and singular CSS Chi-Town-Class CSN, which is a modern nuclear-armed warship with some carrier capabilities - smaller than the Joseph Proseks but much more advanced.

CSN Air Force

We've had the Coalition add jet fighters to their arsenal in Rifts Mercenaries and Rifts World Book 11: Coalition War Campaign, but here are some more! Also, for whatever reason, they all bear near-identical visual designs. And no, the Coalition's operational range never quite seems to broaden as much as it would with vehicles like these.

Titles kept because how would you tell, otherwise?

The varied aerial arsenal of the Coalition.
  • Navy "Sea Striker": Though supposedly "reminisicent in its appearance to the 20th Century Stealth Bomber", Wayne Breaux's art looks nothing like the B-2. It's a fairly tough naval bomber with a heavy payload of torpedoes, missiles, and depth charges.
  • "Shrike" Interceptor: This is the interceptor version of the Sea Striker, and also looks nothing like the B-2. It's one of the fastest Earth-designed jets in the game at MACH 3.5, with a special ASRAAMM system to combat other planes with a special missile that splits into multiple heat-seeking missiles that may have secretly been salvaged from alien technology. That's Advanced Short-Range Air-to-Air Multiple Missile, for the record.
  • CSN Dagger Bomber: A stealth bomber developed in cooperation with Triax. If you're really astute, you may realize that the Coalition already had a stealth bomber in Coalition War Campaign (the Talon), so why would they need Triax's help? Well, the Dagger Bomber is retconned to have been designed before the Talon! I guess it wasn't a total oversight. It has a special laser-guided bomb system (that gives no bonuses or anything) and a ridiculous anti-radar coating (-80% to any attempt to detect it with such).
  • Eagle Unmanned Aircraft: An unmanned and unarmed robot drone designed to gather intelligence. Mildly radar-resistant.
  • GAW-F14 Improved Super-Tomcat: Remember those old carriers they found? Well, apprently they were loaded down with F-14s, which the Coalition retrofitted with some armor and modern Mega-Damage armaments. They're laughably fragile, given that they're still S.D.C. aircraft, but at least have decent firepower. They're due to be phased out, but Golden Age Weaponsmiths apparently got the right to sell their own retrofitted content. Because, you know, 400-year old aircraft just... keep indefinitely... and the US military just hung on to planes that were a century old even before the cataclysm... because... you know... they knew fascists would need them one day?
  • CS CH-10N Sea Storm Attack Helicopter, CS CH-12N Sea Wasp Attack/Transport Helicopter, Standard AFC-023 Sky Cycle: Nautical retrofits (torpedoes instead of some missiles, basically) of the Black Lightning and Demon Locust of Coalition War Campaign, and the Sky Cycle from the corebook.
At nearly 50 pages, the vehicle section takes up over a third of this book, of course. But with its conclusion, we're done talking about the Coalition Navy itself. But we've still got some book left.

"Finally! I feel on-brand again."

So, what games do you use the Coalition Navy in, anyway? I guess if you're doing naval stuff on the Great Lakes or are doing an Underseas campaign... or for some reason you decide being a fascist on Lake Erie is your thing. Maybe if you're pirates and your GM needs an evil posh captain for you fight. However, even for a Rifts book, it feels decidedly niche, and I can only imagine this material has seen limited use at best. What's left, then? Why, generic material on the Great Lakes!... and the sea, because this is a bit meandering. Let's get to it.

Next: Lite hydras and diet serpents.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how much cosmoline you'd need to put an entire Nimitz-class CVN into storage.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I wanna know what's in the great lakes that's stopping the skullboys from using their carriers to rain havoc.

Also those jets are identical.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cassa posted:

I wanna know what's in the great lakes that's stopping the skullboys from using their carriers to rain havoc.

Also those jets are identical.
Poor replacement infrastructure? Stupidity and incompetence? Their relative advantage actually being less than you'd think in practice?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, it's only based on 4e in that it has at-will/encounters/etc and is set in a semi-generic D&D fantasy milieu. They aren't that similar when you look at them objectively.

Anyway, 13th Age was actively made with theatre of the mind stuff in mind, so it should work fine for your purposes. There's no 30' ranges that the game pretends can be mapped out perfectly to the GM's mental map of the battlefield or anything like that.

That's good to hear thanks. Do I need the main 13th age Rulebook as well as the Glorantha PDF?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Deptfordx posted:

That's good to hear thanks. Do I need the main 13th age Rulebook as well as the Glorantha PDF?

Yeah, you'll need the core rules. Anyway, if you want to talk more about this you should probably head over to the 13th Age thread.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Poor replacement infrastructure? Stupidity and incompetence? Their relative advantage actually being less than you'd think in practice?

I genuinely don't think much from the Navy book ever comes up again, although admittedly I've never read the Siege of Tolkeen.

Although those aircraft carriers bring up the interesting problem of power creep in RIFTS. Supposedly Atlantis is militarily untouchable because of its high-grade tech and magic and blah blah blah, but that book was the second World Book ever and the line has been topping itself for ages. Those three aircraft carriers might be able to take out Atlantis' fleet by themselves now for all I know.

I'm not terribly certain who the Navy book is for either. Perhaps with the release of LucasArts' TIE Fighter a couple of years earlier made Kevin think the iron was hot enough to strike with playing air quotes heroic fascists.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 21, 2018

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

I meant that most of the big non-god figures in the narrative aren't small groups, they tend to be one person with a large army. Sheng Seleris didn't have 3 buddies of equalish power hanging around, and nobody mentions Arkat's buddies.

This turned out to be a huge problem in the (highly derivative) HeroQuest game I was in once. Casting the first (and usually second) person in the myth generally wasn't a problem, but trying to find a way to bring in five people in a way that actually involved them all was extremely difficult. I generally don't give a poo poo about Glorantha (Bronze Age anthropology puts me to sleep) so I'm curious to hear if the "stock" myths are more friendly towards a standard RPG group than Shakespeare's Venice.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Earth And copper is it’s metal
Air And bronze is it’s metal.”

Err, what? Is the second one supposed to be “tin”? Bronze is an alloy of copper.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DalaranJ posted:

Bronze is an alloy of copper.
Not on Glorantha!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FMguru posted:

Not on Glorantha!

drat you, godtime!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

All Glorantha metals are basically nothing like their Earth equivalents.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

So, when they suggest time period it’s really ‘equivalent technologically to Earth’s Bronze Age’.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Metal on Glorantha, aside from that used by dwarves who actually, like, understand metallurgy, is primarily mined from pure veins formed from the corpses of gods. Because obviously god bones are metal.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Mors Rattus posted:

Metal on Glorantha, aside from that used by dwarves who actually, like, understand metallurgy, is primarily mined from pure veins formed from the corpses of gods. Because obviously god bones are metal.

And that is the most metal thing I've heard all week. **sweet guitar riff delivered by a skeleton**

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
The worst thing with those aircraft carriers is that with 12,000 MDC, they're still weaklings compared to the big Splugorth ships from Underseas, and they have three of them while the Splugorth have three hundred. That's without touching on the Horune pirates or other threats from Underseas that will happily eat carriers. This must be in the era when Siembieda has begun thinking of the Coalition as humanity's true savior, not just because of the endless wank over parts of it nobody cares about, but those are the kinds of odds he assigns to what he considers "good guy" factions when he thinks about game balance at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just want to chime in that it's sort of insane that you assign HP to an aircraft carrier as if PCs are expected to have a boss fight with it.

Giant mechanical ant piloted by an insane right-wing lunatic senator, I could see. But aircraft carrier?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

occamsnailfile posted:

The worst thing with those aircraft carriers is that with 12,000 MDC, they're still weaklings compared to the big Splugorth ships from Underseas, and they have three of them while the Splugorth have three hundred. That's without touching on the Horune pirates or other threats from Underseas that will happily eat carriers. This must be in the era when Siembieda has begun thinking of the Coalition as humanity's true savior, not just because of the endless wank over parts of it nobody cares about, but those are the kinds of odds he assigns to what he considers "good guy" factions when he thinks about game balance at all.

Oh, man, I forgot about those so take back whatever I said about the Coalition's carriers. Even when I was a RIFTS junkie I didn't buy Underseas because... er... Underseas. I also forgot that while I do like a lot of CJ Carella's writing, the dude loved to throw around some giant MDC numbers.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Words that have never been spoken in the history of RPGs: "Oh, I have a great idea for a character that's a Sensors Operator!"

Counterpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rifts Sourcebook 4: Coalition Navy, Part 5: "Protected from the fury of the Great Cataclysm, and from decades of corrosion in the environmentally controlled confines of the shelters, the USN Aircraft Carriers CVN 73 George Washington, CVN 82 Ranger and the CVN 85 Lexington languished in silence for centuries."

Vacuum-packed warship.

CSN Aircraft Carriers and Carrier Aircraft

So, we have three aircraft carriers of the "Joseph Prosek Series". Where did Coalition get aircraft carriers? Well...

That's right. Three town-sized ships were kept in "environmentally controlled confines" for three centuries. Oookay. I guess if you can make power armor that can take a tacnuke, mayyybe you can keep aircraft carriers in a city-size underwater shelter (why is it underwater?) largely intact for three centuries. I guess that's a thing that could happen. Somehow. Even though pre-rifts America was gearing up for war. I mean, that's what you do before a war, right? Hide your aircraft carriers? Nobody can beat them if they're underground!

It would have been more believable and consistent with existing continuity if the carriers were built by Triax shipyards in the NGR then sent to America as some sort of Lend-Lease treaty or trade or perhaps retrofitted from container ships, like the Royal Navy did in the Falklands. Of course, having a sensible logistics take results in a smaller navy as well as being less toyetic.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

[*]GAW-F14 Improved Super-Tomcat: Remember those old carriers they found? Well, apprently they were loaded down with F-14s, which the Coalition retrofitted with some armor and modern Mega-Damage armaments. They're laughably fragile, given that they're still S.D.C. aircraft, but at least have decent firepower. They're due to be phased out, but Golden Age Weaponsmiths apparently got the right to sell their own retrofitted content. Because, you know, 400-year old aircraft just... keep indefinitely... and the US military just hung on to planes that were a century old even before the cataclysm... because... you know... they knew fascists would need them one day?

Okay, here's my issue with this, which I hinted before: by the time this was written, the F-14 was already on it's way out in U.S. Navy service. The F/A-18 could do everything the F-14 could do in a smaller size, cheaper, and less complicated to maintain. In six years time, the F-14 would be retired completely from service, those last years with the plane being largely relegated to air-to-ground role.

However, the final insult came because of the other user of the F-14, the Islamic Republic of Iran. Inheriting the F-14 fleet from the Shah's air force, Iran still has them and, in effort to choke them out, the U.S. Navy had airframes stripped and shredded to prevent the parts from reaching Iranian aircraft mechanics. There's no flyable airframes in American hands anymore, the only remains being gutted static displays in front of various Navy bases and other sites.

Fun fact: the total number of kills made by the F-14 is about over 160. Only something like 8 of those are American.