Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Reality Loser posted:

disagree

It has ea games

yeah but it also has those two games ea published from other developers that were good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

origin allowed me to purchase mass effect: andromeda and i feel like a better service would have saved me from my own stupidity

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i also learned today that sanctioned Magic tournaments, with all their crazy rules, don't have a codified ruleset for incredibly simple, common sense things like "all players have to place lands, creatures, etc in this place" so lots of tournament plays have been hosed up by people who put mana dorks next to their lands

like i'm all for bluffing in Magic but come on

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trying to warn everybody what a turd Andromeda was going to be only to see people's wishful thinking get the better of them, I truly felt as if I finally understood Shepard's struggle to defend the galaxy against the Reapers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Andromeda's not bad, it's average at worst.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've been watching a very bad card game anime lately called cardfight vanguard, and something the mean characters on the show like to do is when they're sure they're going to win on this turn is loudly announce "Final Turn!". the organizers of the tournaments of the real card game had to make announcing "final turn" a disqualifiable offense because people kept doing it irl lmao

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I've been watching a very bad card game anime lately called cardfight vanguard, and something the mean characters on the show like to do is when they're sure they're going to win on this turn is loudly announce "Final Turn!". the organizers of the tournaments of the real card game had to make announcing "final turn" a disqualifiable offense because people kept doing it irl lmao

Bunch of killjoys. If you aren't allowed to make card games hype then why even bother.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cardfight Vanguard Kiwami Battle Zero Gaiden

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My Origins account has Dragon Age Inquisition on it and nothing else. I feel like this is an acceptable account to have.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Bunch of killjoys. If you aren't allowed to make card games hype then why even bother.

Probably because people get stabbed at actual Yu-Gi-Oh/Naruto/Dragon Ball card game tournaments.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the best goofy drama to come out of a card game tournament is still crackgate

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

actually the best goofy drama to come out of a card game is the cardfight vanguard stage play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaqSq02b7xo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

current status: just remembered again that freddie freaker was a thing that existed

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I cared about this at some point, but now I just have Steam, Origin, Uplay, and Battle.Net all installed.

Not running all at once, of course.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

precision posted:

i also learned today that sanctioned Magic tournaments, with all their crazy rules, don't have a codified ruleset for incredibly simple, common sense things like "all players have to place lands, creatures, etc in this place" so lots of tournament plays have been hosed up by people who put mana dorks next to their lands

like i'm all for bluffing in Magic but come on

idgi

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

in Magic you have creatures that can produce mana, which is what lands also do. there's no rule saying "your land zone is here, your creature zone is here" so people can "hide" creatures by putting them in with their lands. considering how strict the rules for tournament Magic are, it's kind of insane there's no simple "this is where you put this type of card" rule.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ahhhh, that's pretty shifty

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Since we've previously established that I'm rubbish at Persona 5 S Links, do they carry over to New Game+?

I'm hoping that in NG+ when you get to the point where you open the S Link it's already at level x, but am I wrong?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gently caress you game don't give me a kindness stat boost after a max kindness event :argh:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

gently caress you game don't give me a kindness stat boost after a max kindness event :argh:
Yeah I never understood why P5 did that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Since we've previously established that I'm rubbish at Persona 5 S Links, do they carry over to New Game+?

I'm hoping that in NG+ when you get to the point where you open the S Link it's already at level x, but am I wrong?

They don't, but your social stats carry over so you can just focus on the S Links.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

in Magic you have creatures that can produce mana, which is what lands also do. there's no rule saying "your land zone is here, your creature zone is here" so people can "hide" creatures by putting them in with their lands. considering how strict the rules for tournament Magic are, it's kind of insane there's no simple "this is where you put this type of card" rule.

The worst offender is a card called Dryad Arbor, which is both a creature AND a land (Forest). Not only that, but a certain printing of Dryad Arbor is nearly indistinguishable from a certain printing of Forest, so you could very easily hide an Arbor among your lands and surprise people with it.

E:

Sickening posted:

Speaking of that, I ran into a player this weekend with this setup. The basics were foil too.

How quickly could you differentiate these if they were across a table from you and also upside-down?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 21, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

at the end of the game everyone you maxed rank with will give you an item that lets you use their max rank benefit as soon as you establish a link with them next game. but than that it's all reset

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I missed the Celeste talk but I wanted to mention that I am now on the Summit C-Side and the very end of that level seems nigh-impossible with the Switch joycons. I'm stubborn so I'll probably bash my head against it until I get through but it has not been pleasant.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

Titanfall 2 is better than Doom 2016.

Signed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All the discussion around Celeste's difficulty makes it kind of feel overly daunting. Where does it fall on the Tropical Freeze spectrum, and/or how necessary are these various B/C sides?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Nate RFB posted:

All the discussion around Celeste's difficulty makes it kind of feel overly daunting. Where does it fall on the Tropical Freeze spectrum, and/or how necessary are these various B/C sides?

Main story has a really nice difficulty curve and will probably be challenging but doable for anyone. B-Sides are harder, but they make up a big chunk of the game and anyone can probably beat them with enough persistence. C-Sides (which are kind of secret) are super loving hard but they're also each just a couple of screens long and basically exist for bragging rights. They're the only part of the game that's straight-up punishing, IMO

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh, my goodness

quote:

The best way to describe Last Man Kicking would be to say "Its Rocket League with swivel chairs and Shotguns". You can Play a 2vs2 swivel chair shotgun soccer match with your friends or alone against the Ai.

https://i.imgur.com/Q96S9Fz.mp4

Last Man Kicking

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

It's honestly not that bad. The base campaign is no issue at all, if that's all you're interested in. Getting the final level requires you to get certain collectibles, some of which are well hidden in the levels, the rest can be gotten by beating B-Sides. B-Sides and C-Sides are almost entirely optional, you can get the last level without touching a B-Side I believe.

B-Sides are tougher but they're still broken up into digestible chunks, it's mostly a matter of getting the muscle memory down.

I haven't played Tropical Freeze but Meat Boy is the obvious comparison and I haven't seen anything in Celeste that approaches the hardest stuff in Meat Boy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not that many agree with me but Tropical Freeze crossed the line into "not only is this not fun, I don't feel any satisfaction from completing challenges, just profound relief."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I only got that feeling from Bopopolis.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Monster Hunter World has been an incredible return of interest for me. My games fund is drier now that I have to pay for daycare so it's been the only game I've bought this year, but I'm 140 hours in and having a hard time even thinking about playing something else. This year was supposed to be a chance to burn through my backlog. Sorry non-MonHun games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I only got that feeling from Bopopolis.

Bopopolis is def one of the most palmsweat-inducing platform levels ever created. the only part of Tropical Freeze that made me grit my teeth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nate RFB posted:

Not that many agree with me but Tropical Freeze crossed the line into "not only is this not fun, I don't feel any satisfaction from completing challenges, just profound relief."

Yeah this is crazy to me cause not only did I find the level design to be amazing, but I thought TF was quite a bit easier than the first game. Tropical Freeze would've been a perfect game in my eyes if it wasn't for the boss fights going on far too long.

Bopopolis is one of the most fun stages in the game!!

PantsBandit posted:

I haven't played Tropical Freeze but Meat Boy is the obvious comparison and I haven't seen anything in Celeste that approaches the hardest stuff in Meat Boy.

I don't like comparing it to Super Meatboy because I honestly don't think that game is well designed at all. The levels all feel very thrown together and like they saw I Wanna Be The Guy and wanted to do something similar but not so sadistic and punishing. It's fine but I wouldn't compare Celeste to it at all. I'd compare Celeste more to Ori and the Blind Forest. Aside from one being linear platformer and one being a metroidvania, they both share similar satisfying movement and level design.

I have a handful of issues with Celeste. The issue with the dashing in the wrong direction (though I don't know if that's specifically a Switch problem or not), some gimmicks are a bit too finicky to work that well for B-Sides (the clouds, the eyeball monsters) and some segments tend to overstay their welcome by lasting just a bit too long (the "boss fight" in Reflections goes on a bit too long, even though it's also one of the best segments of the game). But the stuff it gets right, the platforming when it's not dealing with the finicky stuff, the level design for MOST of the game, the music, the aesthetic, the story, all of that easily makes me give the game a break on the issues I don't like. Like some of the rooms in the chapter 6 B-Side are, straight up, some of the most well designed platforming levels I've ever seen. What an absolute blast to go through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5DgpGx3rtw&t=78s

1:18 if it doesn't automatically take you there. That particular segment is memorable as hell to me, it was so fun and satisfying to beat it. It blew me away, as did the following segments after it where you are falling through the pink spikes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

It's honestly not that bad. The base campaign is no issue at all, if that's all you're interested in.

Ehhhh the main game is still pretty drat hard and I died a whole lot, so I wouldn't say it's "no issue at all", but yeah the truly tough stuff is all optional.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I thought Celeste did a great job of ramping up at a pace that felt manageable. It doesn't throw you into the deep end until you've proven you can handle it. It's a very encouraging game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

precision posted:

Ehhhh the main game is still pretty drat hard and I died a whole lot, so I wouldn't say it's "no issue at all", but yeah the truly tough stuff is all optional.

I found the difficulty with the base game came more from getting comfortable with the different mechanics. That's why, once you have been through a level's B-Side, you're so good at dealing with bubbles/bumpers/whatever that going through the base-level is a breeze.

But yeah, I died a lot in the base campaign as well. With some persistence though I think pretty much anybody could see end credits.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

lets hang out posted:

I thought Celeste did a great job of ramping up at a pace that felt manageable. It doesn't throw you into the deep end until you've proven you can handle it. It's a very encouraging game.

The game is also very adamant about deaths being nothing to be ashamed of, and makes a point to say like "hey don't be discouraged by your high death count, every death is a step to beating it" (although some of the more finicky stuff kind of undermines that a bit but still)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I strongly dislike it when video games have difficulty balanced so heavily on abilities or power ups that you can get but are then lost "forever" when you hit a checkpoint and die afterwards. Both of the Retro Donkey Kongs have this but in Tropical Freeze it got especially bad at times. Far too many levels would go from difficult to essentially unbeatable unless you wanted to start completely over; the final boss in the first game probably be the worst singular example because there's a nasty rocket level leading up to him with no DK barrel after the checkpoint.

Especially when you could implement a system that mitigates this buy allowing the player to use the powerups purchased from Funky within the level itself (rather than on the map). It still "punishes" the player for relying too heavily on them by making you have to spend coins to get them and one could easily lock it out of intentionally hard levels if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i beat bopopolis with just DK and realized from that point on there was nothing else the game could do to hurt me

i don't recall ever needing the powerups but having a few spare barrels on hand was helpful for boss fights, since each one was effectively a full-heal

• Locked thread