Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think he's too much of a dick to be relatable, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean i was a petty weirdo with brain problems who wanted to gently caress girls in weird ways when i was 17, too

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm still a petty weirdo with brain problems who wants to gently caress girls in weird ways at age 26

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pureauthor posted:

Also, read the Tsukihime manga

The manga is legit better than the VN.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Aurora posted:

i'm still a petty weirdo with brain problems who wants to gently caress girls in weird ways at age 26

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
There's no same big enough.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Look man, Taiga may not look it, but she is a responsible adult. She's not gonna let Shirou, a healthy young teenage boy, let healthy young teenage girl(s) stay over unsupervised.
Pretty sure she is protecting him FROM the girl(s)?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Taiga is the best girl in Fate and you should be glad that she's going to be spending the night.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

Tsukihime has a protagonist whereas Twilight doesn't, has a wide cast of likeable characters, and it also feels like a story that's part of a larger world to which effort was put into.

You can argue about similarity of goals but the level of execution is incomparable, and if you think you'd like Twilight if it was an anime (btw it exists), you're just admitting to having really bad taste.

I think you're reading too much into my statement, I meant more if there was an anime with the same combination of tropes as Twilight. Which honestly in the broad strokes FSN/Tsukihime have strong similarities on the surface level.

Execution is everything is kind of a tautology though because that's kinda always the case. Septem vs. Extra w.r.t Nero for example.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nero's interlude for unlocking Thrice Setting Sun/Invictus Spiritus did more for her character than the entirety of Septem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the real argument is that twilight is vastly overhated and is just kind of a mediocre bodice ripper and so using it as a constant frame of reference is dumb

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

the real argument is that twilight is vastly overhated and is just kind of a mediocre bodice ripper and so using it as a constant frame of reference is dumb

yeah aside from the baby stuff in the last book there's nothing really egregious about it especially in a post-fifty shades of grey world

the actual screaming hate stephanie meyer got seems a lot weirder nowadays

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

My biggest issue with the movie was being forced to watch it on the bus during a trip.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

yeah aside from the baby stuff in the last book there's nothing really egregious about it especially in a post-fifty shades of grey world

a lot of teen girls liked it ergo

Raenir Salazar posted:

if there was an anime with the same combination of tropes as Twilight.

ah, shoujo romance

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

That said, 50SOG was repurposed Twilight fanfic, soo...

Plus there were a few literal cults that used it as a recruitment tool (if you’re wondering, the blogger in question has a lot of experience with fanfiction cults, which are both funnier and more terrifying than they sound), which made things a bit more personal for a few Internet denizens. It may be a fairly standard supernatural bodice-ripper, but thanks to the wonders of the Internet, there’s an increasing number of folks out there who are quite good at weaponising those.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean there's a fuckton of lord of the rings cults so im not gonna hold that against twilight

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
and how can you hold one measly erotica against twilight when tolkien spawned most of the modern fantasy genre :twisted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean there's a fuckton of lord of the rings cults so im not gonna hold that against twilight

I guess you can argue that it’s better-designed to spawn those cults than most works, if you follow me. Like, any sufficiently popular work of fiction stands a chance of developing cults, but Twilight gave cult leaders an instruction manual. I’m prepared to defer to the folks with experience on this one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twilight really, really didn't. it is not remotely the first book to have a moderately troubling romance at its center. the only reason it spawned a lot of predators is that it was popular with teenage girls, and, surprise! a big part of the reason lonely teenage girls would be recruited to cults is if they were, say, insulted and belittled by both their peers and by adults for finding something compelling and deeply moving, driving them further into cultural and societal isolation and prompting defensive behavior that leads to them desperately needing validation, instead of having their tastes and emotional needs validated in the first place while still being told why they should take the relationships depicted in fiction with a grain of salt.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
At some point you can't hold an author responsible for people using their work for nefarious purposes though

Varg Vikernes is a white supremacist murderer who read Lord of the Rings and decided the orcs were the good guys and the elves were evil Jews but that's not Tolkien's fault.

Not to say you can't criticize the bad relationship stuff in Twilight (and some of it is pretty bad!) but you have to approach that as a genre-wide thing not just a unique fault of that book that only exists in a vacuum, and you can't pretend it's somehow unique in drawing cultists to it like Stephanie Meyer sat down and wrote Vampire Dianetics.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Also the Twilight imprinting stuff isn't any worse than the weird pedo stuff in Prisma Illya.

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess you can argue that it’s better-designed to spawn those cults than most works, if you follow me. Like, any sufficiently popular work of fiction stands a chance of developing cults, but Twilight gave cult leaders an instruction manual. I’m prepared to defer to the folks with experience on this one.
Said the man posting in a thread about a body of work primarily centered around relationships with a pretty hosed up power dynamic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

society hates teenage girls to an almost genocidal level and im not about to say there isnt hosed up stuff in twlight but its telling that literally the entire mid-late 2000s internet was dedicated almost solely to tearing those books down at the exact same time that stuff like family guy or, to be relevant to this subforum, the familiar of zero was popular

or rosario + vampire, which actually is literally anime twilight for boys.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's 2018 and ernest cline is a superstar author

we need to let Twilight go as a society

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

it's 2018 and ernest cline is a superstar author

we need to let Twilight go as a society

twilight is so much less hosed up and bad than ready player one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

This

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Literature died with Chaucer

E: Caster Chaucer when

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

I will take purple prose over anti-prose, the elemental opposite of prose, any day of the week

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did ready player one have a wife apologize for being a victim of domestic abuse from her husband

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Freak Futanari posted:

Taiga is the best girl in Fate and you should be glad that she's going to be spending the night.

I would be completely willing to pay somewhere well into the triple digits to receive a version of fate that featured a Taiga route.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/justneckbeardthings/comments/6pfmim/this_incredible_poem_by_ready_player_one_author/
:thinking:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

Did ready player one have a wife apologize for being a victim of domestic abuse from her husband

you absolutely cannot play this game when women in ernest cline novels only exist as prizes for knowing the most 80's minutiae like it's loving trivia night down at the pub

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

no but the guy wrote a giant rant about how women are whores, and also theres a scene where he condescendingly tells some japanese guys that 'uratoraman' is the greatest superhero of japan

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

no but the guy wrote a giant rant about how women are whores, and also theres a scene where he condescendingly tells some japanese guys that 'uratoraman' is the greatest superhero of japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nnl0ycLvgU&t=30s

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Type-Moon Megathread: Second in Worst Writing and Most Heinous Misogyny

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Let's use f/sn to form a cult where we all dress up as Archer

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tae posted:

Women in Ernest cline books do not have the agency required to apologize for anything.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

GodFish posted:

You... you are getting the Taiga Dojo's, right?

I don't understand how someone could dislike Taiga.

Maybe I should be. I'm just doing a walkthrough to gun through this thing because I don't really have any instincts for VNs. I'm really interested in the stories and most of the characters. I'm aggravated by protracted meal scenes that just showcase how zany Taiga is. But then, I get that's the cost of participating in a contemplative anime story.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fate like most anime could benefit from an editor wielding a pair of hedge clippers and zero sense of mercy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Maybe I should be. I'm just doing a walkthrough to gun through this thing because I don't really have any instincts for VNs. I'm really interested in the stories and most of the characters. I'm aggravated by protracted meal scenes that just showcase how zany Taiga is. But then, I get that's the cost of participating in a contemplative anime story.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Fate like most anime could benefit from an editor wielding a pair of hedge clippers and zero sense of mercy.
generalizations about anime are bad, imo, and while fate is overlong the homelife stuff would be the last thing id cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nasu is the only good writer of the 21th century