Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I dunno, the telepath story was less grating for me than some of the early Lochley stuff ("nuhhhh some of us thought it was wrong to turn against your government (that was deliberately massacring its own civilians)" and "why? why does Sheridan trust you??" "because i'm his ex-wife okay???")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Lochley stuff was an interesting diversion into "What if B5 didn't religiously follow the great man theory of history" (see also Deconstruction of Falling Stars)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Lochley stuff was an interesting diversion into "What if B5 didn't religiously follow the great man theory of history" (see also Deconstruction of Falling Stars)

Most of S5, really. As a politician, Sheridan is a really good military commander. Honestly, even earlier seasons chip away at the "great man" theory even as they build it up in other ways, but it's usually easier to go with the obvious and overt text over the subtext, especially whenever JMS goes into speechify mode.

And Grand Fromage, The Real Ghostbusters would like a word with you over that "one-hit wonder" comment...

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Sense8 is also very good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jedit posted:

Because it was. Robin Atkin Downes was in nine episodes, although not all of them as Byron.

I'm honestly willing to cut Downes a lot of slack for B5. He was given rush job material that had to live up to what is still one of the strongest sustained arcs in television, it was his first major acting gig, and unbelievably he was barely 21 when he did it.

He later went on to become the voice of the Medic in Team Fortress 2, that rights a lot of wrongs to me.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I quite enjoyed Jeremiah at the time, no idea if it holds up.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I generally enjoyed his run on Amazing Spider-man, as long as we forget Sins Past ever happened.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

V-Men posted:

I generally enjoyed his run on Amazing Spider-man, as long as we forget Sins Past ever happened.

Ditto. ASM and Supreme Power before he lost interest and abandoned it were all good poo poo. Everything else though..

Oh I almost forgot JMS was responsible for getting me into Thor. it's a shame how that run ended with the drama between him and Marvel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have no idea about any of his comic book poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hope and vaseline posted:

Ditto. ASM and Supreme Power before he lost interest and abandoned it were all good poo poo. Everything else though.

He didn't lose interest in Supreme Power, he was ordered to tone it down and quit rather than comply.

Rising Stars and Midnight Nation are also well worth a read, so long as you stick to the core issues of the former.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I still have a soft spot for Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jedit posted:

He didn't lose interest in Supreme Power, he was ordered to tone it down and quit rather than comply.

Tone it down in a Max series? That's... that was the original point of the brand...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Tone it down in a Max series? That's... that was the original point of the brand...

Yeah, Marvel wanted to take it out of the MAX line. JMS was mostly OK with dropping the extreme violence and sexual content because by then he'd made his point in those matters, but apparently the editors continued to ask for more - making Hyperion more conventionally heroic, stopping Varda being a psychopath and so on.

Basically Straczynski wanted to tell a story about how superheroes would in reality be beholden to no one, paying due respect to Greunwald's maxi-series where the Squadron decided to take over the world. Marvel just wanted Justice League 616.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Penn and teller can get hosed.
And Space jack the ripper. Another low point.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

fist4jesus posted:

Penn and teller can get hosed.

Wow that is some epic bad opinions. :thumbsup:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rebo, zoot zoot!

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Space Penn and Teller are worth it, just for Londo's reactions to them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

fist4jesus posted:

Comes the Inquisitor is an unskippable episode. It is incredibly important to both Delenn and Sheridan's characters and the looming Vorlon/Shadow conflict.

Plus the actor who plays Jack is super menacing. I love everything about that guy.

But...

The premise is silly, the acting is not up to par with the concept, and the philosophy is juvenile. It's an episode that really wants to be better than it is. It's so close to greatness, but that difference is the difference between lightning and lightning bug.

Ultimately, I sort of dread this episode on each re-watch.

There are some conceptually similar episodes with G'Kar/Londo later in the series that work much, much better because those actors are capable of selling it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

Comes the Inquisitor is an unskippable episode. It is incredibly important to both Delenn and Sheridan's characters and the looming Vorlon/Shadow conflict.

Plus the actor who plays Jack is super menacing. I love everything about that guy.

Wayne Alexander. Same actor as the Drazi ambassador, Lorien, and like a dozen bit parts. Basically a regular cast member, just not often as the same character.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ConfusedUs posted:

Ultimately, I sort of dread this episode on each re-watch.

I don't even bother. I think I'd only ever bother watching if I was watching along with someone else who'd never seen the series before.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Wayne Alexander. Same actor as the Drazi ambassador, Lorien, and like a dozen bit parts. Basically a regular cast member, just not often as the same character.

I knew he was Lorien but not the Drazi. I can 100% see it now though. Drazi ambassador is my favorite guy out of the League, he's always so...blunt.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Once you've watched the show through a few times, you can pick him out even in all the different alien prosthetics he gets into.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

But...

The premise is silly, the acting is not up to par with the concept, and the philosophy is juvenile.

Yes. It adds very little unlike some of the other history/earth culture characters.
The space monks for example and the mindwiped killer. Super fascinating scenario.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's a few actors doing multiple characters like that, generally referred to as the Babylon 5 Players :wotwot:.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a few actors doing multiple characters like that, generally referred to as the Babylon 5 Players :wotwot:.

Kim Strauss, Jonathan Chapman and Mark Hendrickson being the main three. Strauss is best remembered as the leader of the Drazi Green (and the only one of the Players to appear in the show without make-up), Chapman as the Brakiri ambassador to the League, and Hendrickson as practically every Narn in the first two seasons.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Airspace posted:

Space Penn and Teller are worth it, just for Londo's reactions to them.

And Sheridan, too. Boxleitner is great at finding their stuff hysterical.

It's great because humor in 200 years would probably be utterly bizarre to us. Imagine explaining half a dozen stupid Internet memes to someone even just back in the 80s or 90s.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I'm having such a nice time doing a rewatch and then BAM King loving Arthur.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

fist4jesus posted:

Which made it an even better time is what you left unsaid of course.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fist4jesus posted:

That was easily one of the high points of the season, in no small part to the guest actor nailing the personality and mannerisms of what people think King Arthur would be like (based on modern movies and cinema)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Once you've watched the show through a few times, you can pick him out even in all the different alien prosthetics he gets into.

Haha yeah it's 100% clearly the same dude when you compare Lorien and the Drazi ambassador. I'd just never really thought about it before.

I really love that Drazi guy, though. He's my favorite background character just for how consistent he is.

For any of you doing a re-watch, keep track of how many times he flat-out murders a negotiation. Things are moving along, no one's really happy but they're compromising, then BOOM. Drazi guy swoops in and shoots the fledgling deal in the head, drops his mic, and walks out. The camera lingers on Ivanova's sad face before it fades to black.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Haha yeah it's 100% clearly the same dude when you compare Lorien and the Drazi ambassador. I'd just never really thought about it before.

I really love that Drazi guy, though. He's my favorite background character just for how consistent he is.

For any of you doing a re-watch, keep track of how many times he flat-out murders a negotiation. Things are moving along, no one's really happy but they're compromising, then BOOM. Drazi guy swoops in and shoots the fledgling deal in the head, drops his mic, and walks out. The camera lingers on Ivanova's sad face before it fades to black.

That's because the Drazi are one of the most powerful races in the League, along with the Markab, Brakiri and Pak'mara. The Pak'mara get pushed into the background a lot because they don't speak - in fact they were originally meant to be the race destroyed by plague; the Markab got it instead because JMS felt they were more relatable - and the Brakiri were to some great degree a replacement for the Markab as League front men so it wasn't all Drazi all the time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the Pakmara got only one episode where anything about their species and culture got described, but I swear, that little tentacle-face was everywhere. One of the most impressive alien designs too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jedit posted:

That's because the Drazi are one of the most powerful races in the League, along with the Markab, Brakiri and Pak'mara. The Pak'mara get pushed into the background a lot because they don't speak - in fact they were originally meant to be the race destroyed by plague; the Markab got it instead because JMS felt they were more relatable - and the Brakiri were to some great degree a replacement for the Markab as League front men so it wasn't all Drazi all the time.

Oh yeah I totally get that's why he has the power to do what he does, but I love the characterization in the way he does it. Dude has an impressive chip on his shoulder (as do most Drazi, they're one of the most belligerent species on the show). I find him funny, and I always picture the command crew sitting around, bitching about this guy.

Sheridan: "...and then, the Drazi ambassa--"
Ivanova: "Let me guess. He starts yelling."
Sheridan: "He starts yelling! And then..."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
OK, getting increasingly confused by the "Wayne Alexander was the Drazi Ambassador" conversation. I'm pretty certain (and IMDB states) that the only Drazi Wayne Alexander played in B5 was the one in Intersections in Real Time. Alexander played Lorien, Sebastian, G'Dan, and of course the Drahk leader.

Mark Hendrickson and Kim Strauss played the Drazi ambassador: IMDB gives Hendrickson credit in Shadow Dancing, and Hour of the Wolf, while Strauss went from the Green Drazi in Geometry of Shadows to the ambassador in The Fall of Night and multiple S5 episodes.

Ron Campbell is credited as Drazi Ambassador on IMDB for The Long Night, Rumors, Bargains, and Lies, and Meditations on the Abyss.

While poking around, I find myself interested in which rarely-appearing characters made the strongest impression on people. Not thinking Refa and Neroon (with 8 and 7 episodes), but the rarely appearing characters at or below the Zathras level (4 episodes). Zathras, obviously, but who else? There's a lot of small and effective performances. Captain James, for example (new commander of the Agamemnon), or Dr. Lilian Hobbs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

fist4jesus posted:

"THEY were the bad guys, we were the good guys; and they made a very satisfying thump when they hit the floor!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Narsham posted:

While poking around, I find myself interested in which rarely-appearing characters made the strongest impression on people. Not thinking Refa and Neroon (with 8 and 7 episodes), but the rarely appearing characters at or below the Zathras level (4 episodes). Zathras, obviously, but who else? There's a lot of small and effective performances. Captain James, for example (new commander of the Agamemnon), or Dr. Lilian Hobbs.

Brother Theo is also only in 3 episodes

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the Pakmara got only one episode where anything about their species and culture got described, but I swear, that little tentacle-face was everywhere. One of the most impressive alien designs too.

Was that the one where the Pak'ma'ra was in the medbay describing what they eat to Dr. Franklin and Garibaldi is like "hey, wanna know what they say humans taste like?"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The gospel preacher in "and the rock cried out no hiding place" had some good scenes in his one episode

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Narsham posted:

OK, getting increasingly confused by the "Wayne Alexander was the Drazi Ambassador" conversation. I'm pretty certain (and IMDB states) that the only Drazi Wayne Alexander played in B5 was the one in Intersections in Real Time. Alexander played Lorien, Sebastian, G'Dan, and of course the Drahk leader.

Alexander got a lot of the Greek Chorus parts, speaking for the audience or asking questions for outside forces. It lends consistency to the outsider roles and turns them in some ways into a single narrative force. They're a bunch of different characters, but they have central roles in their episodes and the whole story tends to swing around them.

quote:

Brad Dourif as Brother Edward. It's one of my favorite episodes, and the fact that he's the voice of Chucky (and later, Wormtongue) makes his work even more impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Brad Dourif has been a favourite 'that guy' actor since Lynch's Dune. Doing a spin on the Demolished Man was cool, too.