Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

y to train you and spend more money on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pity reply

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

this is normal dont worry about it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do it anyway? gently caress is the problem here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

pram posted:

i dont want to

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im like literally shitposting on the internet. u think i asked permission from my boss??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

im like literally shitposting on the internet. u think i asked permission from my boss??

haha ur at work today

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
presidents' day is a fake holiday anyway

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i have more respect for valentines day or st patty's day than fuckin' presidents' day

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

haha ur at work today

yeah lol owned

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im not at work today

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
source?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

me bithc

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

pram posted:

i call it "self directed learning" aka loving around

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol if u don't keep informed about the stuff you're expected to be an expert at for your cushy tech job.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

had a two hour meeting this morning about how we're supposed to account for lack of availability due to spending time learning about poo poo on the clock

not a single mention of how we're supposed to account for lack of availability due to two hour argument meetings

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

akadajet posted:

lol if u don't keep informed about the stuff you're expected to be an expert at for your cushy tech job.

who says i dont do that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it’s better than “lunch and learn” op

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

OldAlias posted:

it’s better than “lunch and learn” op

at least they give me food and take a chunk out of my workday

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Pollyanna posted:

at least they give me food and take a chunk out of my workday

my last job had a mandatory weekly meeting where they provided lunch but required everyone to pitch in $5

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

DaTroof posted:

my last job had a mandatory weekly meeting where they provided lunch but required everyone to pitch in $5

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844041

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

idk my old team was all 'lol dont you love this stuff? figure it out'. my new team started thrice weekly online group course time to introduce new frameworks to us in case we pivot to something different eventually

we still had to pay for it, but it was $10 so idgaf its the first time i wasnt looked at in amazement that i wanted to take some time to take training and not blow budget on a half assed conference

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
work pays me $2k for the first certification i get each year, no matter what it is or how much it costs me to take.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sounds like you need to renew your yearly yosposting certification

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s important to take some time out of your work week for screwing around with things that interest you, even if they are only marginally relevant to your job. half a day minimum.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

The Management posted:

it’s important to take some time out of your work week for screwing around with things that interest you, even if they are only marginally relevant to your job. half a day minimum.

same but half a day five days a week

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i think the last thing we had was a 1 hour webex of which about half was spent asking people to mute themselves. also 400 people joined it and it ran up a like $10k bill or something insane like that.

The Management posted:

also this is correct.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DaTroof posted:

same but half a day five days a week

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
just get your tasks done and don't tell the boss what you do in your slack time op

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I take classes at the local Community College. If I get a related cert work pays for the cert and the class.

:shrug:

I'm just glad to get a night off daddy duty TBH?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my head keeps seeing that thread title and trying to finish the sentence with this song instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxm5O3cuZk

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
What constitutes 'studying'? Pulling out a textbook to review how some modeling procedure I haven't seen in a while goes? Running through a tutorial in language of choice?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kudaros posted:

What constitutes 'studying'? Pulling out a textbook to review how some modeling procedure I haven't seen in a while goes? Running through a tutorial in language of choice?

hey i know youre currently happy doing backend work on our api but we need more people to work on our angularjs app and youre on that team now can you please track the hours you use egghead to study the framework on this sheet here and submit it weekly? thanks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

hey i know youre currently happy doing backend work on our api but we need more people to work on our angularjs app and youre on that team now can you please track the hours you use egghead to study the framework on this sheet here and submit it weekly? thanks
sounds like the boss understands that you have a learning curve and intends to pay you for the time so ...?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gazpacho posted:

sounds like the boss understands that you have a learning curve and intends to pay you for the time so ...?

learning time is spent outside work and it’s for “education tracking” and explicitly not for compensation purposes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ur being gamed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pollyanna posted:

learning time is spent outside work and it’s for “education tracking” and explicitly not for compensation purposes

lmao that's some horseshit

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Idk if its still the case but this is a common strategy in microsoft shops. They expect you to get their certifications and of course you have to study for those after hours (and its not exactly exciting, interesting material).

They say its a good deal for you because they pay for the exams. I got out of that world about 10 years ago and never looked back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Now i copy and paste p-lang code from the internet and don't give a single gently caress. Didn't even need a certification; entirely self taught

• Locked thread