Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i've had a migraine for 20 hours now

kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Nate RFB posted:

I strongly dislike it when video games have difficulty balanced so heavily on abilities or power ups that you can get but are then lost "forever" when you hit a checkpoint and die afterwards. Both of the Retro Donkey Kongs have this but in Tropical Freeze it got especially bad at times. Far too many levels would go from difficult to essentially unbeatable unless you wanted to start completely over; the final boss in the first game probably be the worst singular example because there's a nasty rocket level leading up to him with no DK barrel after the checkpoint.

Especially when you could implement a system that mitigates this buy allowing the player to use the powerups purchased from Funky within the level itself (rather than on the map). It still "punishes" the player for relying too heavily on them by making you have to spend coins to get them and one could easily lock it out of intentionally hard levels if need be.

Good point! One of the reasons I've never had much love for the older Mario games (such as Super Mario bros 3) is because the player is punished for having trouble with a level by losing all their power-ups. Now, you either have to hope you remembered a previous level where you can stock back up or hope you can suddenly do a level untouched that you previously couldn't beat with a buffer.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Those mechanics weren't designed to punish you. One person's punishment is another's challenge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tbf i've always been a little puzzled by game mechanics that ensure better players get to hold on to more powerups and advantages than worse ones

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing a bunch of small games lately instead of moving onto the poo poo ton of bigger stuff I have.

I played through Bleed 1 and 2. Both are really solid, really fast paced run and gun platformers. The controls take some getting used to (It's a twin stick game so jumping is on the shoulders) but once you get used to it it's silky smooth and movement is really satisfying, especially given how versatile your triple jump is. Of the two I think I liked the first one more. They're both good but the sequel streamlined things down to a fault and it feels a little too slight. They are also both very short games, though you will pretty much be terrible at both of them and barely squeak by, getting low ranks in everything. They're the types of games (especially the sequel) where beating barely makes a dent in your trophy list and if you want to 100% it you will have to put some serious time into it (which I don't plan to do).

I also started playing Forma.8 a Metroidvania I got awhile back (unfortunately before it was a PS+ freebie). It does some things really well, has some good atmosphere and music and some sections (like one where you have to lead around a giant robot crab) are neat. The game is really held back by three things however. First off you move soooooooooooooooo slow. Like even when you get a dash this doesn't help things at all. I don't even mind how floaty the controls are (well maybe a bit but I'll get back to that) but man do you move slow and that is just the worst in an exploration based game. Secondly, while most of the time the floaty controls aren't a problem, sometimes the game expects precision out of you that the controls just aren't up for. I've managed so far but it always feels like I'm barely getting by. Lastly, the game is just too loving obtuse sometimes. It's trying to go for a wordless world and narrative and it mostly does this pretty okay (it's certainly not as bad as Hob) but sometimes I have no idea what it wants from me, especially with the bosses. The first boss in particular I managed to stumble my way through but I'm still not really sure why they thought the thing you were supposed to do would be clear. Still, I'll play it a bit more and see how it pans out

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I wish there was an option to play Jeanne with just the same mechanics as Bayonetta, because I'm okay at getting Moth Within but I'm not perfect with it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

tbf i've always been a little puzzled by game mechanics that ensure better players get to hold on to more powerups and advantages than worse ones

I think this is the reason I still can't really love any Gradius game. I don't think any series punishes you as badly for dying as that series does and while they are cool good games, I'm never gonna have the patience to really experience half of them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

obviously it's on a game by game basis and design goals of creators vary across a vast spectrum but i think the idea here is the game is rewarding you for being good at it

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think the larger issue is if games use lives, which is thankfully becoming less and less common. I'm fine with the concept of being rewarded for skill with more power-ups, but if there's a loop of losing lives-losing powerups-losing more lives-game over, then that's really lame. Losing progress always feel bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nate RFB posted:

I strongly dislike it when video games have difficulty balanced so heavily on abilities or power ups that you can get but are then lost "forever" when you hit a checkpoint and die afterwards. Both of the Retro Donkey Kongs have this but in Tropical Freeze it got especially bad at times. Far too many levels would go from difficult to essentially unbeatable unless you wanted to start completely over; the final boss in the first game probably be the worst singular example because there's a nasty rocket level leading up to him with no DK barrel after the checkpoint.

Especially when you could implement a system that mitigates this buy allowing the player to use the powerups purchased from Funky within the level itself (rather than on the map). It still "punishes" the player for relying too heavily on them by making you have to spend coins to get them and one could easily lock it out of intentionally hard levels if need be.

None of this is true aside from the final boss issue. What the heck :confused:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dixie's ability is the main culprit in Tropical Freeze; a ton of platforming goes from normal to nightmare if you lose her after various checkpoints.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol if you ain't using Cranky 24/7

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

DLC Inc posted:

lol if you ain't using Cranky 24/7

x1000 This

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Dixie's ability is the main culprit in Tropical Freeze; a ton of platforming goes from normal to nightmare if you lose her after various checkpoints.

Ok now I know you’re just trolling me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello tropical freeze whips. semper games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harry the Handsome Executive remake looking good

Saint Freak posted:

I wish there was an option to play Jeanne with just the same mechanics as Bayonetta, because I'm okay at getting Moth Within but I'm not perfect with it.

I never tried playing as Jeanne, how does it handle the chapters where she's a boss?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

haveblue posted:

I never tried playing as Jeanne, how does it handle the chapters where she's a boss?

https://i.imgur.com/jK4g948.mp4

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve watched a couple of Celeste videos. What do those yellowish-diamond-things-that-are-all-over-the-place do?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They reset your dash

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve watched a couple of Celeste videos. What do those yellowish-diamond-things-that-are-all-over-the-place do?

They refill your airdash

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cool, thanks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Celeste question. Do I need to get all the gems in Chapter 7 in one go to unlock the crystal heart or can I go back later and collect the two I'm missing and then go straight to the part of that chapter with the heart? Cause I missed two of them during this chapter and it's pretty daunting to have to go back and do the entire chapter again to get those gems

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

current status: just remembered again that freddie freaker was a thing that existed

Call me, Freddy Krueger, 1-900-555-BTCH

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Celeste question. Do I need to get all the gems in Chapter 7 in one go to unlock the crystal heart or can I go back later and collect the two I'm missing and then go straight to the part of that chapter with the heart? Cause I missed two of them during this chapter and it's pretty daunting to have to go back and do the entire chapter again to get those gems

You don't need to do them in one go, they're automatically saved like the other collectibles.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

You don't need to do them in one go, they're automatically saved like the other collectibles.

SICK thanks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

i've had a migraine for 20 hours now

kill me

Get well soon precision :( I know you're in a lot of pain right now but try to remember that each second of pain takes you closer to relief and that each second of pain is another second of pain you won't have to deal with again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My fiancee and I put down an offer on Sunday to buy a house. Our offer was accepted last night. :toot:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks. I broke down and took some weapons grade painkillers (I try not to take them unless I need to) and this thing really reached the level of "migraine that must be dealt with". It's slowly going away now.

I think part of the reason I hate headaches so much is that I simply haven't ever gotten that many, aside from hangovers, and I've never had a headache last 24 hours before except once. I'm freaking out that I might have inherited my mother's tendency to get cluster headaches.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Well Xenonauts is basically X-COM, but with a modern reskin and a few tweaks but in the end, it's X-COM, again.

...I'm not sure if I like it or not yet.

e: I know this isn't news, but it's always kinda neat to try something for myself and yep, it's exactly what I was told it was.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 21, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

Thanks. I broke down and took some weapons grade painkillers (I try not to take them unless I need to) and this thing really reached the level of "migraine that must be dealt with". It's slowly going away now.

I think part of the reason I hate headaches so much is that I simply haven't ever gotten that many, aside from hangovers, and I've never had a headache last 24 hours before except once. I'm freaking out that I might have inherited my mother's tendency to get cluster headaches.

:( Hopefully it goes away soon, and hopefully it will just be a one-off rare thing and not a sign of cluster headaches.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well Xenonauts is basically X-COM, but with a modern reskin and a few tweaks but in the end, it's X-COM, again.

...I'm not sure if I like it or not yet.

e: I know this isn't news, but it's always kinda neat to try something for myself and yep, it's exactly what I was told it was.

I wonder if I might like this better then X-Com 2. The pacing of X-Com 2 can be a bit weird, and all of the forced cutscenes and ways the game wants to strong arm you into playing it really got on my nerves.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One day I'm gonna make my own xcom game mod of the original xcom ufo defense via openxcom

That day is not today, and also, not this year. But it will happen. Believe it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

One day I'm gonna make my own xcom game mod of the original xcom ufo defense via openxcom

That day is not today, and also, not this year. But it will happen. Believe it.
tell me about your dream xcom mod kite

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Which one

there are two

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wanna get Shadow Tactics, but I don't know really.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if I might like this better then X-Com 2. The pacing of X-Com 2 can be a bit weird, and all of the forced cutscenes and ways the game wants to strong arm you into playing it really got on my nerves.

I can't comment because I haven't played XCOM 2 properly, but if you've played the original X-COM, it's like that.

If you haven't, uh, you get like 10 soldiers to move and they have Time Units to manage, and - have you played Jagged Alliance 2?

What's your frame of reference, tell me so I know what to tell you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Which one

there are two
now I'm more interested in hearing the differences between the two mods

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of them is a mod that would turn original x-com into a jojo-themed x-com game where you play as the speedwagon foundation and train your units and research anti-vampire anti-zombie anti-double-vampire technology and instead of psy powers, you would research hamon, and balance capturing zombies and enemy "tech" with keeping yourself properly funded so that the SPW foundation and the nazis can keep working together on their anti-undead technology. The ultimate goal would be to find out why this is all happening and it turns out that there is a pillar man on mars who has been sending out poo poo towards earth to stir up trouble and you have to get your rear end to mars and stop them after researching a means to, at the very least, put them out of commission.

The other is an xcom 3 that follows the path that UFO Defense and Terror From The Deep took, slotting in between TFTD and Apocalypse, mainly focused around the terrible awful very bad ending of TFTD and trying to make it "better" by following up on it. It'd just be similar to UFO Defense and TFTD but where UFO Defense was about X-COM fighting flying saucers and dealing with a lot of conspiracy theories regarding aliens and TFTD was far more jules verne/lovecraft-esque in its designs and enemies, I would want a third xcom to deal with the only other thing left. UFO Defense had aliens coming from space, TFTD had aliens coming from the oceans as ancient beings that live in an ancient underwater city with not-cthulhu, so I would want a third game to be dealing with aliens coming from the center of the earth. Fight in sewers, catacombs, caverns, mines, subway lines, crystal caverns, chasing down drill tanks of varying sizes so that you can capture or otherwise kill the chuds, giant earthworms, the prehistoric humans, massive gators, the earthquake machines, the lizard people, the mole people, the asuras, all leading you to the discovery of the hollow earth and the inner city of Agartha, which in one final mission you will develop your own drill tank powerful enough to reach Agartha and destroy their leader once and for all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I wanna get Shadow Tactics, but I don't know really.

Shadow Tactics is highly good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Shadow Tactics was one of my favorite games from last year. I did things like what's in the video below for like 40 hours and loved every minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPiePFFZNeY

• Locked thread