Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Departed has better acting, directing, cinematography, music, better everything.

Infernal Affairs also has one of the worst DVD covers ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thranguy posted:

Story arcs are one thing, the kind of deep serialized mythology slowly doled out while trying to convey the impression that the creators know the answers to the questions they're raising is another.

And patient zero is Twin Peaks. (Partial credit for The Prisoner.)

The original Twin Peaks is the first show I ever stopped watching because Lynch came out and said he had no plan for the show and was just making it up as he went along and throwing in any old crap if he thought it would look weird.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bamhand posted:

I mean like in movies and TV shows. No one bats an eye. And honestly the actual police in the US have tazed people strapped to a chair to death. It was refreshing seeing police with some basic dignity.

Chris Noth’s character in Law & Order got fired and sent to cop purgatory for punching a suspect. Suspect deserved it, he was gleeful as poo poo about getting away with a homophobic hate crime, but it had consequences.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Shia LaBeouf and Miles Teller look like they're pretty similar and I never figured out what Spielberg saw in the former. As dumb as this sounds, though, I saw an image of Spielberg from the late 60s or so and he looks a bit like both of them when he was younger.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given all The Departed talk recently.

Don't watch The Departed. Watch Infernal Affairs, (80s or 90s Hong Kong movie) instead. It's the same film, Scorcese shamelessly stole everything from it. Literally everything. Much in the way A Fistful of Dollars is an unauthorised remake of Yojimbo.

Sure, The Departed is a slightly better film, but if you watch Infernal Affairs, you get to be smug and pretentious about movies. Which is a thing I enjoy being from time to time.

I watched Infernal Affairs about 10 years before I watched The Departed. I didn't know it was a remake and I got the weirdest sense of deja vu.

spog has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Feb 21, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Given all The Departed talk recently.

Don't watch The Departed. Watch Infernal Affairs, (80s or 90s Hong Kong movie) instead. It's the same film, Scorcese shamelessly stole everything from it. Literally everything. Much in the way A Fistful of Dollars is an unauthorised remake of Yojimbo.

Scorsese didn't just stop there, the bastard went on to shamelessly credit the writers of Infernal Affairs in his movie that was co-produced with the company that made the original.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The original Twin Peaks is the first show I ever stopped watching because Lynch came out and said he had no plan for the show and was just making it up as he went along and throwing in any old crap if he thought it would look weird.

Gravity Falls somehow manages to have a tighter plot and resolution. (and that's when they ended it early to avoid burnout)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jedit posted:

Scorsese didn't just stop there, the bastard went on to shamelessly credit the writers of Infernal Affairs in his movie that was co-produced with the company that made the original.

Have you ever seen any research papers? The loving scientists brag about where they stole the idea from, and even list the places separately at the end of the paper. Disgusting assholes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's like British television, all the good shows know when to stop.
Which is why there were no Red Dwarf episodes made after 1989 and no Jonathan Creek after 2000.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Soap operas do that too. I remember back in like 1999 I broke my hand and couldn't work for almost a month (I was a baker). During that time I started watching the soap opera Passions, and, from what I remember through the percocet haze, there was a solid two weeks they focused on if these two people were going to kiss, all while cars were blowing up and days and weeks were passing outside. I was super confused. Also there was a doll that was a little kid, but everyone just pretended it was a doll.

I still don't know what was real or what was opiate hallucinations. It was a great month to be honest.
The kid was a doll that was alive because it belonged to a witch and it was the best character. That show was so good - as was Days of Our Lives when James E. Reilly was in charge of it. Marlena being possessed by the devil is a classic piece of television history.

bamhand posted:

I was watching Stan Lee's Lucky Man and the main character is a cop that punches a suspect during interrogation. In the US you probably wouldn't think twice about that scene but since the show is British they made a huge deal about it and his colleagues were warning him that the entire case could be thrown out.
Wow. Apparently this show is just 100% completely different to what I had assumed it was. I saw the name and, without even thinking about it or doing any further research, decided it must be a reality TV show or documentary either about or hosted by Stan Lee.

bamhand posted:

They also had some kind of weird recusal thing where a cop said he couldn't investigate a case because he knows the suspect? Is that a thing in the UK? He said because they both attended the same Gambler's Anonymous meeting he can't investigate her.
Is that not a thing in America? Because it's one thing that consistently annoys me in cop shows, when the detectives are like "you have to let us investigate this crime, because it involves someone we know personally" and I'm just like "no, that is exactly the reason why literally anyone else should be investigating it!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

X-Files did it first but I feel like Lost was a bigger culprit because, whereas X-Files had its monster of the week episodes, just about every episode of Lost came off as though it was ostensibly supposed to contribute to the overarching storyline.
The weird thing about Lost was how many people actually believed that there was some kind of plan behind it when it was so obvious that it was just going to pull the exact same kind of bullshit The X-Files had.

Arivia posted:

Chris Noth’s character in Law & Order got fired and sent to cop purgatory for punching a suspect. Suspect deserved it, he was gleeful as poo poo about getting away with a homophobic hate crime, but it had consequences.
Meanwhile on SVU, Stabler spent years threatening, harassing and assaulting suspects and never got more than a verbal warning about it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

Shia LaBeouf and Miles Teller look like they're pretty similar and I never figured out what Spielberg saw in the former. As dumb as this sounds, though, I saw an image of Spielberg from the late 60s or so and he looks a bit like both of them when he was younger.

Shia LeBeouf hit his peak at the same time all the other former child actors were showing their genitals and getting arrested. People legitimately thought Shia was 'normal' and tried to position him as the next big thing. Had the last Indiana Jones movie done better and maybe his weirdness not come out so quickly, he would have been headlining two different billion dollar franchises (Indiana Jones and Transformers).

Hollywood always feels like it desperately needs someone who can singlehandedly carry a movie and there was a shortage of young male leads so all those hopes and dreams fell squarely on a guy whose last name is pronounced Beef and who had some odd mother issues. Thank goodness the Hemsworth family appeared when they did.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

JediTalentAgent posted:

International Jewish Cabal at work :tinfoil:

I've only seen three films with Shia LaBeouf, and none with Teller, so I don't know what kind of range either are capable of.

Spielberg has been directing films now for 50 years (longer if you count his earliest works) so one would think he's gotten some practice spotting budding talent. Although the physical resemblance angle wouldn't surprise me at all, the industry is full of vanity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Meanwhile on SVU, Stabler spent years threatening, harassing and assaulting suspects and never got more than a verbal warning about it.

One bit that stuck out to me as especially :stonklol: is when they go to question a rapper called "Gots Money" and Stabler takes out dice and says, "I'm gonna roll these dice, which is what your cellmate is gonna do to decide how many times he's gonna rape you!" <rolls dice> "Oh, look, I 'gots' an 11!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wheat Loaf posted:

One bit that stuck out to me as especially :stonklol: is when they go to question a rapper called "Gots Money" and Stabler takes out dice and says, "I'm gonna roll these dice, which is what your cellmate is gonna do to decide how many times he's gonna rape you!" <rolls dice> "Oh, look, I 'gots' an 11!"

SVU's position on prison rape is so flip floppy. One episode you see that kind of scene play out, and then there are others where there's this huge outcry about it from the cops. Like, make up your mind, Dick Wolf.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Wow. Apparently this show is just 100% completely different to what I had assumed it was. I saw the name and, without even thinking about it or doing any further research, decided it must be a reality TV show or documentary either about or hosted by Stan Lee.

Is that not a thing in America? Because it's one thing that consistently annoys me in cop shows, when the detectives are like "you have to let us investigate this crime, because it involves someone we know personally" and I'm just like "no, that is exactly the reason why literally anyone else should be investigating it!"

It's about a cop that receives a "lucky" bracelet that makes him insanely lucky but at a price. So a crime drama/procedural with some super natural elements. It's alright, apparently it's the most popular drama on Sky 1.

In the US (media) everything is always about a personal vendetta/revenge fantasy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

SVU's position on prison rape is so flip floppy. One episode you see that kind of scene play out, and then there are others where there's this huge outcry about it from the cops. Like, make up your mind, Dick Wolf.

"Dick Wolf" is a pretty good euphemism for a prison rapist, if you think about it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

After Meloni left the show and Stabler was written out as being fired, there was some mention of a lot of his cases being thrown out because of his methods.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As SVU went on he became more and more unstabler

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Ugly In The Morning posted:

After Meloni left the show and Stabler was written out as being fired, there was some mention of a lot of his cases being thrown out because of his methods.

That just makes everyone else seem worse.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gaunab posted:

That just makes everyone else seem worse.

From a writing perspective that means they can totally rehash old episodes with continuity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
re: The Departed: does it get unduly criticised because it's what finally won Scorcese his Oscars but it wasn't the best one he'd done to that point that had been nominated and lost?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As many episodes of it as I've seen, my image of SVU will forever be that one Cracked parody dub from years ago where Stabler goes into Special Guest Star Michael Emerson's apartment (caption: "APARTMENT OF THE MONORAIL RAPIST") and immediately demands, "SO HOW'D IT FEEL RAPIN' ALL THEM WIMMIN ON DA MONNAHRAIL?" to which Emerson replies, "It felt very good -- I mean, what's a monorail?"

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

As SVU went on he became more and more unstabler

Goddammit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Don’t forget Chris Meloni made his mark as an actual prison rapist on Oz.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Despite being 20 years older he's still in really good shape. He got naked a couple of times on Happy! and he was pretty buff.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

JediTalentAgent posted:

Huh.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Stephen Miller after hair club for men?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I just watched an old ER where a patient wouldn’t stop using his phone in the hospital, and it caused someone’s pacemaker to cut out, then made electric wheelchairs start spinning in circles.

Cellphones :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the joke near the end of The Heat when McCarthy is visiting Bullock in hospital and is on her cellphone, and when the orderly tries to tell her off this happens:

"You know you're not supposed to..."
*Pulls gun* "Yeah how about now?"
"Jesus.. :stare:"*immediately about faces and walks away*

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Looks a bit like David Duchovny

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Benson plays the same tricks as Stabler did but on at least one episode it was declared a mistrial. She got the guy to confess by threatening to tell all the men what a sissy he was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are the SVU people supposed to be anti-heroes? Maybe they are attempting to subvert the standard network show procedural.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Are the SVU people supposed to be anti-heroes? Maybe they are attempting to subvert the standard network show procedural.

no it's just badly written

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
One of the best examples of the SVU detectives being bad at their jobs is when they spend an entire episode trying to entrap Robert Patrick; going so far as to buy a rape van for him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also an episode where Benson chases a perp across a rooftop, they fall off and are hanging by their fingers and she's just going to let them fall until they reveal they're an undercover cop.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brother Entropy posted:

no it's just badly written

It could be an implicit part of the show. Like if you work in a brutal sex crimes unit long enough that you become a monster and start cutting corners. It's like Hannibal.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

There's a photo on a Variety article about Spielberg that I think looks a bit more like Teller/Shia:

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/spielberg-review-new-york-film-festival-hbo-1202581852/

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

But that method also gave us The Prisoner which is possibly the greatest TV show of all time.

TV shows where the writers knew entirely what they were doing from beginning to end:

------------------

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Don't watch The Departed. Watch Infernal Affairs, (80s or 90s Hong Kong movie) instead. It's the same film, Scorcese shamelessly stole everything from it. Literally everything.

It's from 2002, not the 80s or 90s. Good movie.

The prequel (Infernal Affairs 2) had a kind of interesting feature, it's set all across the 90s and jumps back and forth in nonlinear time; the main clue as to when a scene is set is the size of everyone's cell phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Maxwell Lord posted:

But that method also gave us The Prisoner which is possibly the greatest TV show of all time.

TV shows where the writers knew entirely what they were doing from beginning to end:

------------------

Babylon 5. With outs in case any of the actors died or quit.