Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

1. A Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0, modern, good ergonomics and safety features, and above all pretty common so it won't raise any eyebrows.

2. A

3. A

4. I like the "blink exactly every three seconds" glitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Were we able to ascertain directionality of the input and output arms of the installations? I was thinking backtracking on the inputs might point us at a lynchpin or the power source charging this thing up. Then again Mabin's research rolls haven't been going so great.

Destroying the infrastructure probably means taking risks just to delay the machine. I'd prefer to find the lynchpin and stop its plan permanently.

The center of the sculptures is a bridge. Maybe the target is the bridge itself or something which will cross above or below the bridge in the near future.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 21, 2018

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

malbogio posted:

Were we able to ascertain directionality of the input and output arms of the installations?

From what we've been able to tell, it's essentially a closed loop. One "output arm" lines up with an "input arm" on another installation.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

You know, looking at the map, I agree that it's probably something to do with the bridge. I didn't think they lined up so perfectly, but knowing that they do I think we should investigate more and try to find the local linchpin rather than temporarily break some Infrastructure that'll just get rebuilt, possibly in a less easy to investigate form. Changing from 2. A to 2. B

E: Looking at the map even more, there's an old steam plant just to the south that used to help power the Ford factory. Could "the heart of the fire" be the boilers or the firebox or whatever in there?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 21, 2018

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

1) -. I don't know enough about guns. Probably something generic, on the small side, and with a magazine.
2) A. The infrastructure could activate at any time and we're still guessing where the linchpin might be located. My best guess is that the elimination infrastructure is going to use a sudden extreme drop in temperature to cause enough physical stress in key parts of the bridge that it collapses. For all we know the machine could be targeting anyone crossing the bridge. Figuring out the exact target could be very difficult.
3) A. We're exposed out here and we can't outrun a Jeep without blowing our cover. So long as we aren't engaged it's better to let them tail us to somewhere we can more easily give them the slip.
4) Our hands are covered in the same runes as the sculpture after touching it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
1. deferring to the only opinion suggested.
2. I'm torn. The thing is going to go off soon, but we still have a lead we haven't followed up on: Moroni, the guy who supposedly made these, whose name translates to The Heart of the Fire. I'm reluctant to have them destroy it now, since it will hardly matter to the God Machine unless we target the Linchpin. I fell like if we wait a few days, it will be too late, but I agree that if we meet tonight it could draw unwanted attention. Bah. C I guess. Go big or go home.
3. A
4. I like the circuit pentagram

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm torn. The thing is going to go off soon, but we still have a lead we haven't followed up on: Moroni, the guy who supposedly made these, whose name translates to The Heart of the Fire. I'm reluctant to have them destroy it now, since it will hardly matter to the God Machine unless we target the Linchpin. I fell like if we wait a few days, it will be too late, but I agree that if we meet tonight it could draw unwanted attention.

Now I'm half-convinced Maroni is the linchpin. I didn't realize how many threads were connected to him.

Even if we are going after Maroni I'm inclined to disable his infrastructure as it's holding quite a charge and could be made unstable by the river.

How heavily guarded do we think a linchpin would be? Might want to bring the whole ring if we're expecting a guardian angel.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

malbogio posted:

Now I'm half-convinced Maroni is the linchpin. I didn't realize how many threads were connected to him.

Even if we are going after Maroni I'm inclined to disable his infrastructure as it's holding quite a charge and could be made unstable by the river.

How heavily guarded do we think a linchpin would be? Might want to bring the whole ring if we're expecting a guardian angel.

No defense against a few megatons equivalent of TNT.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

1 Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0
2A Jester's right, no more meetings for a while
3A Don't panic
4A It's right behind us. Soon it will ahead of us, besides us.

EDIT: How do we get rid of glitches?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Glitches wear off after an hour

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Changing my vote on 4 to blink every three seconds

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1. No opinion.

2. C. This is not a right away thing but it's a soon thing.

3. A. Act casual.

malbogio posted:

4) Our hands are covered in the same runes as the sculpture after touching it.

4. This sounds sick as hell.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

9mm
BAA

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

1. A Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0, modern, good ergonomics and safety features, and above all pretty common so it won't raise any eyebrows.

2. A

3. A

Nice pistol choice, I'm good with that.

All of the above.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Crazycryodude posted:

2. A

3. A

Cool, but

1: Single shot sawn down 12 gauge shotgun loaded with a round of dragons breath ammo. Handful of spare shells in a pocket.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 22, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

Cool, but

1: 12 gauge Taurus Judge-a-like loaded with dragons breath explosive ammo. Handful of spare dragons breath and explosive shells in a pocket.

ftfy

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0, modern, good ergonomics and safety features, and above all pretty common so it won't raise any eyebrows.
2B
3A

4 Brand, star scar on hand.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
One annoying thing about Falling from Grace is that you feel emotions. What were once undercurrents and eddies of feeling now blossom fully into Love, Anger, Worry, and Fear. So when you notice the idling vehicle you feel the hot whips of panic, though you are able to not show them. Instead you continue walking to the street, as calmly as you can. You head out of the park and onto Godfrey Parkway proper. As you start to walk south on Godfrey, the Jeep pulls out and starts to track you. It keeps pace about a block and a half behind you, not a subtle tail. Whoever, or whatever, is following you doesn’t care too much that you know it. Or else is simply not capable of considering stealth. Still, it seems to want ot keep you in sight, that means visual tracking, and that is your opening. There should be a bus stop somewhere nearby. It wouldn’t take you directly back home, but that is all right as you don’t intend to stay on it for long.

1. How far do we go to lose our tail? (This will determine our dice pool for our rolls to see if they are really gone.
A. We switch buses a few times, sneaking in and out of the back doors. When we get to our neighborhood, we cut across people’s yards and alleyways.
B We do A, but we also call in some help from AIM, telling them we have a stalker. We use a friend as a body double to switch places with. We’ll owe a favor, and our friend may ask more questions about our ‘stalker’
C We do A, but we also use Mirrored Skin at one point.
D Something else.

As you walk you type a message to the Ring. You break down the installations being some sort of circuit, and your suspicion that the bridge is involved. Though you haven’t located a Linchpin, you suggest the Ring’s next course of action. AS you are typing you notice your hands feeling a bit stiff and unresponsive. You pull off one of your glove and are surprised by what is underneath. A delicate and complex series of scars cover your palms and wrists. They look like some sort of electrical writing, occult symbols, and the runes on the statue. Looking closely at them, you can see the scars seem to have something underneath them. Like copper wire has been slid in under the epidermis. It tugs at your hand when you clench it into a fist. A glitch then. The physical manifestation that your Cover has been strained, and your demonic self lies beneath this facade. You quickly put the gloves back on.

2. What instructions do you give?
A. Destroy them as soon as possible, take Kind with you.
B. Do some more recon and try to find a Linchpin, get back if anything changes.
C. Something else.

You get back to the Center and the girls are already there. The Center’s small gym, normally used for youth basketball when it is too cold to use the court outside, or a larger meeting space, has been cleared and ancient, cracked, wrestling mats rolled out in the center of it, on the sides a few free standing heavy bags and other equipment. Currently populating the mat are half a dozen adolescent girls in various forms of workout gear. They chat quietly to themselves, occasionally laughing and taking playful swipes at each other. They are, luckily for you, too busy with each other to notice you come in. Unluckily for you, Grace LaFave notices, and intercepts.

Grace terrifies Mabin, the women is built like a brick shithouse and about as pleasant to be around. Mabin is acutely aware that Grave would pick her up and break her in half if she so decided.

“I’m sorry!” you say as she throws a black dufflebag at you.

“Where the hell were you?”

“I’m sorry!

“I had to set everything up myself, and corral these assholes without your help.”

“Sorry. I just..I lost track of time.”

Grace dismisses you with a sharp wave. “Get dressed.”

You go to the ancient gym locker rooms and quickly change into the clothes and equipment you pull from the bag. You strip off your glove and notice the glitch is still there, though faded. You take out a roll of cloth and quickly wrap your hands, covering them as best you can. You are hanging up your coat and street clothes when you feel the gun in your bag. You pause for a moment. The lockers don’t have actual locks on them, they are essentially just closets. The gun should be safe and secured here, but...there is always the chance something happens. You grab your clothes and stuff everything into your bag, then leave the room.

Your bulging bag gathers a few questioning looks as you carry it in and toss it onto the stage built into the side of the gym, but thankfully Grace starts to bark instructions to the girls.

The Center runs what is called Sacred Journey, a series of programming and initiatives directed towards supporting young women. One program within Sacred Journey is a weekly after-school open gym training session. Part assault defense class, part group workout, it was a way to make these young women feel like they had some measure of control over their bodies and their spirits.

Mabin was involved for two reasons, one was simply she knew how to fight. Part of that knowledge was actually due to you spending year brawling in your previous Cover. Bar room brawls and fighting cops translate to self defense quite nicely. Mabin also knew how to fight due to careful Pacts that were the result of hanging around various martial arts studios in the Metro. It’s surprising how many “martial artists” are willing to give up their skill in exchange for the fame, respect, or money they thought they would be getting in some MMA fever dream.

3. What martial arts contribute to Mabin’s ‘style’? Choose as many as you want, just not all of them. I’ll choose from the top four.
A Muay Thai
B Brazilian jiu-jitsu
C Aikido
D Judo
E Krav Maga
F Musti-Yuddha
G Wing Chun

The second reason Mabin was here, every week, was because she was a Pillager. Anishinaabe bands divide themselves into clans of kinship. Each clan has a doodem, or totem. Mabin’s line of Pillagers were Bear Clan, the Makoshtigwaan. Responsible for defense and healing, the police and guards of the band. Granted, you are still navigating many of the Anishinaabe traditions, any many seem odd to you but to Mabin they are important. You oddly do not recall who you took this sense of tradition from, but it runs deep in Mabin, and so she spends as much time as she can helping her people and protecting them.

Which is why Ruby’s eye is bothering you.

Ruby Brave Bird is 19, stocky, enrolled in journalism at UMN, and sporting a black eye. Her eye wasn’t like that when you saw her a few days ago. She isn’t known to be very clumsy. Her mother is a tired but genuine women too kind and too busy to raise a hand. Her father is dying on a Rez somewhere, in no position to raise a hand. So the eye bothers you. It bothers you through stretches and warm ups. It bothers you through throwing and break away drills. Finally, as the girls break up to do some individual exercises, it bothers you so much that you follow her to the heavy bag. She is slipping on some bag gloves when you walk up next to her and lean against the bag frame. You don’t say anything, and neither does she. Somewhere in the back of your mind Mabin makes a “Stoic Indians” joke, but you push it down.

Ruby takes a few half-hearted jabs at the bag. Her stance is off, her feet too close together, you could shove her over easily, but you don’t correct her. Her jabs start to pick up speed, then morph from half-hearted jabs to half-hearted hooks. She does not adjust her feet but starts to put more weight into each punch. Because of her stance she can’t really put all of her weight behind each punch, and her timing is off so she meets the bag at a bad angle. With each hit she fights against the bag’s weight, crushing her hand and making her wrist absorb the shock. Her swings become faster, and wilder. Finally a low growl starts in her throat and quickly crescendos to a short, rasping scream which cuts off as quickly as it appears. She pants, far more than her punching should have her. She hunches over and puts her head down. Though her ‘boxing’ had long lasted a minute or two, she’s gone the distance already.

“‘Y’know what fuckin’ sucks?” Ruby says, her eyes down. “When your a poor rear end Indian kid, that’s all you are y’know? Like..you can try..you can try so loving hard to be good, to make something of yourself. But...you can’t escape. They don’t let you.”

“Who?” you ask, which is really two questions.

“Everyone. Rich people, white people, skins. I mean, Maybe..” she finally meets your eyes. “We’d loving eat each other if we could. We are loving eating each other.”

“Who?”

She doesn’t want to tell you, she doesn’t want to get you involved even slightly. She doesn’t want to drag you down. But, Mabin is Bear Clan.

“Some chucklefuck from come down from Leech Lake. He’s some..loving...captain? Boss? I dunno, some..guy...in Native Rose. He’s here to scoop up territory since the Brotherhood got ran out.”

The terms are vaguely familiar. When making Mabin you didn’t gain the memories of all the people you Pacted, unless the memories were part of the deal, so you don’t know all the terminology Mabin should know. But you can figure out the context. Some gangster was trying to make a name for himself, set up shop for his superiors and try to get influence. This was a dance that you’d seen played since 1936.

“What does this have to do with you?”

“I’m a Rez girl with no money and decent tits, what do you think?”

That gives you pause. “So, have you--”

“No, loving of course not. But, loving Gary made it clear that my options are limited. Work for him, join up with him, or loving pray he can’t find me.”

“What’s his name?”

“Gary Peake.”

“Where’s he hangout?”

“I, really try to not know. He has someone watching the 88 bus stop on Franklin. He...bumps into me..when I’m waiting. Why?”

4. What do we do?
A Kick some rear end, Mabin’s ready.
B Talk to our contacts, try to deal with this socially.
C Pact her initiation, literally make them our problem.
D You know what’s scary? A roiling mass of shadow and knives lunging at you in the dark.
E This is a problem, but we can’t risk our cover or ourselves here. Sorry Ruby, you're on your own.

5. When do we do it?
A Right now, we have an hour before we need to get ready for dinner.
B Later, maybe tonight.
C Let’s resolve the sculpture stuff first.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Character Sheet

World Map

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1.A
2.A
3.GA
4.C
5.C

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1.A
2.A
3.CE
4.A
5.B

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1A
2B
3 Pass, I don't know anything about this.
4 C Could be interesting to see how this works.
5 B

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 24, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

1. A
2. B
3. BEG
4. A
5. B

I know that we earn beats by avoiding directly getting our hands dirty, but Mabin seems like the type to go kick some rear end herself and we're doing this as part of our cover so we've got to stay in character. Is it possible to change Agendas once the game has started, or maybe even subscribe partially to multiple?

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Crazycryodude posted:

Is it possible to change Agendas once the game has started, or maybe even subscribe partially to multiple?

Yes to both. But we also get Cover Beats, basically exp that can be spent solely on Cover and things that belong to that Cover. Right now we're in an okay place. But we can have multiple agendas....once I refresh myself on the rules for that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

C
B
AE
D
B

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

1C Fooled the GM last time!
2B Tell them to keep an eye out for any significant events or dates involving the bridge, river, and art installations. If they don't find anything, we break it the old-fashioned way.
4A
5A

Leaving 3 to people who know martial arts.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
1a2b3befg4a5a

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Echoing that this is a really good game. Let's use some of that infernal power:

1 C
2 B
3 BF
4 D
5 B

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

NinjaPete posted:

You know what’s scary? A roiling mass of shadow and knives lunging at you in the dark.

I liked the writing on this update a lot, but this especially got a hearty chuckle out of me.

1. C
2. B

3. ABEF - I don't know anything about martial arts, but I know how to read Wikipedia! A and F makes us particularly good at punching things, B makes us good at grappling, and E is all an around style with roots in street fighting, which we have experience in anyway.
4. pass for now
5. C

How does 4C work, exactly?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C
B
E
C/D : Make it clear that her problem Will Be Fixed, but it's not a choice to make lightly.
B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

vorebane posted:

1a2b3befg4a5a

Change your password dumbass.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Dr Subterfuge posted:

C means that Mabin (the Cover) receives the problem of Gary Peake. Any of the issues relating to Ruby would disappear from her life and be incorporated into Mabin's.

Or we could save the gang issue to create another cover.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Pacts can be informal affairs, a simple declaration of “You (the mortal) gain X if I (the demon) gain Y.” They can also be highly formal, full of legalese and fine print, employed by demons looking to bind unwary humans. Pacts are composed of aspects, each of which describes some of the parameters of the pact. Aspects apply to both demon and human and come in three different levels: lesser, medial and greater. Each of these levels has a corresponding value: +1 for lesser, +2 for medial and +3 for greater aspects. When the contract is signed, the demon must spend Willpower to finalize the deal. The amount varies depending on the terms of the deal. For a completely balanced pact, the cost is one point of Willpower. For each point weighted in the Demon's favor , the cost is an additional point of Willpower.

Essentially, we must offer something and get something to make it even. So, our options in this case could be

Offer: Eliminating Ruby's relationship with Peake. (or eliminating Peake)
Get: Some aspect of Ruby's life. A Skill she has, or make her a member of a Cult (i.e. bind her to servitude)

or

Offer: Money, a Skill, some Relationship, or other Aspect Ruby would need.
Get: Her history/relationship/past intereactions with Peake and the Native Rose mob.

I hope this helps. We can get more into the nitty gritty if we take this as an option. But I figure, since we are currently a tempter, Pacting should always be on the table. We actually are probably a pretty fair dealer (in our mind at least).

Crazycryodude posted:

[ Is it possible to change Agendas once the game has started, or maybe even subscribe partially to multiple?

Back to this, we can switch our Agenda at any time (though I would like to wait for a dramatic moment for narrative's sake) or we can buy the 2-dot Multiple Agenda Merit and get the benefits of two Agenda's at once.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Or we could save the gang issue to create another cover.
This is also true! We could make that Pact with Ruby but not incorperate it into Mabin, instead making a pretty lovely paper-thin "Burner-Cover" or start building a robust second one.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A backup cop/fbi agent cover would be great synergy with our special treatment perk.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

1) A.
2) B.
3) E.
4) C.
5) A.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Outrail posted:

Change your password dumbass.

Never, it's the most secure system known to man or goon.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1.A
2.A
3.CE
4.A
5.B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8vis7aNlYo

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Going with 4.B for me remaining vote.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
24 hour notice. Here are the current leaders, you may change your vote, just tell me what you are changing it from.

A, Switch buses- 7
C, A+ Mirrored Skin - 5

2. Pretty Solidly B, do more recon.

E , Krav Maga - 8 (pretty locked in, other three are up for grabs)
B, Brazilian jiu-jitsu - 4
A,F,G (Muay Thai, Musti-Yuddha, Wing Chun) - 3
C, Aikido - 2

A, Punchy - 5
C, Pacty - 4
D , Demony- 3
B, Contacty - 1

5. Solidly B, later tonight after our date with Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
How would we do this the demony way without Going Loud?