Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Asproigerosis posted:

My biggest complaint is where the multipurpose room is. I explored the lost river before I got to it. Had to completely redo my mother base :argh:

That's completely on you. There are direct signal waypoints to several places far prior to that which contain the MP room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm not inclined to blame the player when there's no reason the devs took it away from the player's initially known blueprints.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The fact that a room isn't one of the, uh, initially buildable rooms is mindboggling. Until I found and scanned it (or knew it existed reqlly) I just assumed it was on my device and I kept missing it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I tried to avoid using the wiki for this game but as soon as I noticed that a basic loving room was locked, I went ahead and looked up its location. Then I spent a long time swimming around the jellyshroom caves with a tier 1 oxygen tank and no seamoth looking around for it, drowning repeatedly until I finally found the right direction. It was unpleasant but I have no regrets because not starting out with room blueprints is stupid.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I kind of agree that the multipurpose room should be one of the initial blueprints. Those are integral to building decent, non-claustrophobic bases.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The fact that a room isn't one of the, uh, initially buildable rooms is mindboggling. Until I found and scanned it (or knew it existed reqlly) I just assumed it was on my device and I kept missing it.
Basically, they needed more stuff to gate but there was nothing else to gate without making more rooms. At least they made the Solar panal a default into an unlockable when they did that though. Because starting out having to unlock AIR for your undersea shelter blueprints was even dumber. Regardless of "Um, uh... your Download was corrupted! Yeah that's the ticket".

See also, turning beacons and other basic objects into unlockables. Their claimed reason because having those to start with would "Confuse new players", as we are cave men who can't handle more than 5 quickslots or ways to mark off the map by default. The guns they stuck to when all they accomplished was causing rampant confusion when they pulled them, and further confusion for new players asking why there is no map being mockingly told how easy it is to unlock the beacons they had no idea were in game 10 hours later.

This of course, along with removing the player thermomoter chip. Which I still see threads about people asking why they can't craft the chip they see in their blueprints for some reason. Obviously it's their own fault for not already knowing it was deservedly removed because not like you need it, stop being confused when you cant craft items for seemingly no reason.: (I could have sworn it's not in my own blueprints list anymore? But for quite some time it still was so maybe something screwy is going down for certain people still).

Vargs posted:

I tried to avoid using the wiki for this game but as soon as I noticed that a basic loving room was locked, I went ahead and looked up its location. Then I spent a long time swimming around the jellyshroom caves with a tier 1 oxygen tank and no seamoth looking around for it, drowning repeatedly until I finally found the right direction. It was unpleasant but I have no regrets because not starting out with room blueprints is stupid.

What do you mean you didn't swim directly for the islands from your lifepod? The clouds are RIGHT THERE :smugbert: Oh you swam for mountain island, you idiot that's the wrong one :rolleyes: and you didn't find the portal hidden inside the mountain? Gosh, why didn't you think to go away from the alien base instead of towards it?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 21, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean if you listen to the radio and follow the story beats you get the multipurpose room in the first hour to two hours of the story

you don't need it before that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The only radio transmission I didn't follow-up immediately was the one where the location was corrupted, although I think I found it by myself later. Where exactly are the multipurpose room blueprints according to the story?
Also I made it to the mountain island, but I sure didn't find an alien portal. Got a hint on that? (I did get the weird voice asking me who I was)... I don't think I've even found the other island you mentioned, haha.

You're making valid complaints, and if the game made an effort to speed you along the story I'd agree, but I've just been relaxing and exploring at my own pace and am having a blast. Even in regular survival mode, it's really easy to stay healthy and hydrated.

The overarching story seems pretty neat, but I'm 100% content to let it unfold as it comes and just keep puttering around.

Hopefully they fix the draw distance in a future patch though :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

The only radio transmission I didn't follow-up immediately was the one where the location was corrupted, although I think I found it by myself later. Where exactly are the multipurpose room blueprints according to the story?
Also I made it to the mountain island, but I sure didn't find an alien portal. Got a hint on that? (I did get the weird voice asking me who I was)... I don't think I've even found the other island you mentioned, haha.

You're making valid complaints, and if the game made an effort to speed you along the story I'd agree, but I've just been relaxing and exploring at my own pace and am having a blast. Even in regular survival mode, it's really easy to stay healthy and hydrated.

The overarching story seems pretty neat, but I'm 100% content to let it unfold as it comes and just keep puttering around.

Hopefully they fix the draw distance in a future patch though :(

'Commander Keen's Lask Known Location' or something like that leads you to the floating island where you find the multipurpose room, bulkhead, desk, chair, observatory, a bunch of flora...it's a big moment

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

You can find them via:
Commander Keen's orders (he sends a transmission ordering you to meet him on the floating island, and if you have even a modicum of curiosity it's impossible to miss the base with the multi-purpose room. You might not realize you should scan it, though)

Uncovering either the grand reef or jellyshroom cave Degrassi seabases. These are also plotline locations, although they require you to have actually completed the plotline tasks on Floater Island to show up on your HUD, so they are mostly a second and third chance to do the scan if you didn't realize you were supposed to while exploring earlier. Entering the Jellyshroom caves at all should immediately reveal some constructions and provoke you to explore for more though, so still a valid route - I actually found that really early on without being guided there. Deep reef base you probably won't just stumble upon.

The Sunbeam plotline - this should end with you exploring inside the alien base and also the rest of the island. They have towers that light up and literally guide you to the portal from right next to where you are supposed to meet the Sunbeam. The portal drops you off right near the scannable bases on Floater island.

If you explore the mountain island a little bit you should find the portal - there's a very clear path that leads you right to it, with moving parts and lights to make it more obvious.

Also I don't mind them locking up the multipurpose room because it's... not really terribly useful? It's mostly there for decoration and optional late game stuff, if you spend the whole game without it the only thing you miss out in is the alien containment - and you can only get that from places that have multipurpose rooms to scan!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 21, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

...today I learned that I didn’t explore the mountain island as thoroughly as I should have, holy poo poo

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

HexiDave posted:

That's bizarre - I haven't seen that yet. As far as I know, my code doesn't change anything that should affect that. Generally with that kind of weirdness, it's because there was an error that didn't get caught and Unity just blew it off. Next time it happens, check the Subnautica_Data/ folder for output_log.txt for any unhandled exception messages.

I've got the same thing. I started playing my game before installing your mods and it was fine, remembered I'd seen the discussion in the thread and the mods sounded awesome so I installed them after closing Subnautica, ran again and my old save has me swimming in the air in my base and it bugs the gently caress out if I enter and leave a Seamoth, launching me into the sky and screwing with my movement after that. I also started a new game with the mods installed and while the escape pod is fine any constructed base parts have me still swimming.

Here's a link to my output_log.txt in case that helps: Removed

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 21, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you need the room for a bioreactor which is arguably the best power source if you don't have solar available.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
So, uh, I built a base. It's flooded when I enter, and when I exit I have stopped using oxygen. And when I exit and enter the game, I can swim in the air.

Truly, it is a transcendental experience. But I'm not sure I'm ready for zen yet. Did I balls something up? I installed Hexidave's mods and proceeded to play offline. I don't know if that caused it, or if the game is just super buggy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bobfly posted:

So, uh, I built a base. It's flooded when I enter, and when I exit I have stopped using oxygen. And when I exit and enter the game, I can swim in the air.

Truly, it is a transcendental experience. But I'm not sure I'm ready for zen yet. Did I balls something up? I installed Hexidave's mods and proceeded to play offline. I don't know if that caused it, or if the game is just super buggy.

its the mods

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

boar guy posted:

its the mods

Oh yeah, someone else on the last page was having the same problem. Whew, stepped back from the brink. Thanks.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobfly posted:

Oh yeah, someone else on the last page was having the same problem. Whew, stepped back from the brink. Thanks.

Me, in fact. My output.log has a whoooole bunch of this, btw:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at BaseRoot.IsUnderwater (Vector3 wsPos) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.UpdateIsUnderwater () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

at BaseRoot.IsLeaking () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SubRoot.UpdateLighting () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SubRoot.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dmboogie posted:

...today I learned that I didn’t explore the mountain island as thoroughly as I should have, holy poo poo

This is a common thing with literally everyone who plays this game on Twitch. "WHAT THE gently caress CHAT, I THOUGHT THERE WAS A DATABOX IN THIS POD, I SEARCHED THE WHOLE drat THING WHY YOU LYING TO ME- oh it's right there."

feedmegin posted:

Me, in fact. My output.log has a whoooole bunch of this, btw:

at BaseRoot.IsUnderwater (Vector3 wsPos) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.UpdateIsUnderwater () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at BaseRoot.IsLeaking () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SubRoot.UpdateLighting () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SubRoot.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Tag yourself I'm the "Line: -1".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

double nine posted:

you need the room for a bioreactor which is arguably the best power source if you don't have solar available.

That's called "thermal power". Bioreactor is mostly for if you want to build a base in a lovely spot there's no reason to build a base in.

Pollyanna posted:

Tag yourself I'm the "Line: -1".

I'm "BaseRoot.IsLeaking"

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I found the problem and I'll also have the installer available shortly - sorry about that. It had to do with the way Subnautica by-default serializes just about everything, and my latest mod has a new field that the game REALLY wanted to serialize and couldn't (Hence the bullshit above about "A script behaviour (probably BaseRoot?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 776 bytes but expected 780 bytes)").

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

GlyphGryph posted:

That's called "thermal power". Bioreactor is mostly for if you want to build a base in a lovely spot there's no reason to build a base in.

Good ol' scanner room hopping for stuff.

Bioreactor is ok but charges too slow for any serious base usage. Multipurpose rooms are a big boon on base design not only because they're good rooms but also because they have 8 slots you can stick reinforcements in so you can have one really tough room and the rest of your base as glass/windows.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

HexiDave posted:

I found the problem and I'll also have the installer available shortly - sorry about that. It had to do with the way Subnautica by-default serializes just about everything, and my latest mod has a new field that the game REALLY wanted to serialize and couldn't (Hence the bullshit above about "A script behaviour (probably BaseRoot?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 776 bytes but expected 780 bytes)").

Nice, looking forward to playing with your mods, keep up the great work!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

boar guy posted:

i mean if you listen to the radio and follow the story beats you get the multipurpose room in the first hour to two hours of the story

I started playing on VR, didn't play flat-screen until two real-world days later. The "new message on radio" and "you should scan this thing" HUD popups don't show in VR.

Yeah...

loving hell this game is pretty in VR though, even though its VR implementation is lovely in a dozen ways that are pretty much all frustratingly close to right but not.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The multipurpose room not having any huge benefit is exactly why it shouldn't be locked. The main reason people want it is for aesthetics. Since you can't actually do anything with it you can't do with a simple hallway at the start, there's no reason it should be withheld from the player.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Alright, new release using the installer is available here:
https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/latest

This should fix the weird issues people have been having due to the null pointer exception from bad serialization. I also adjusted the Pull From Containers mod algorithm to sort by distance (using player inventory first, then further out) - in addition, it ignores your Aquarium fish when cooking.

In the future, I'll provide a zip file with just the mods and an installer with everything. You can now take mod folders and drop them onto the new shortcut created by the installer to auto-install the mods and patch everything. I'll have a smarter GUI in the future, but I'm a bit busy this week.

Please let me know if there are any issues with the installer - as long as you point it at your Subnautica folder, it should handle everything. Just run the patcher from the desktop shortcut when it's done and you should be good to go.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

HexiDave posted:

Alright, new release using the installer is available here:
https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/latest

This should fix the weird issues people have been having due to the null pointer exception from bad serialization. I also adjusted the Pull From Containers mod algorithm to sort by distance (using player inventory first, then further out) - in addition, it ignores your Aquarium fish when cooking.

In the future, I'll provide a zip file with just the mods and an installer with everything. You can now take mod folders and drop them onto the new shortcut created by the installer to auto-install the mods and patch everything. I'll have a smarter GUI in the future, but I'm a bit busy this week.

Please let me know if there are any issues with the installer - as long as you point it at your Subnautica folder, it should handle everything. Just run the patcher from the desktop shortcut when it's done and you should be good to go.

I'm still getting the same problem(s), now it also only lets me out of my constructed bases in my older saved file. Using the door from the inside plays the leaving animation and dumps me outside, same with moonpool ladders, but I can just float up into the moonpool if I want. The output file says something about one of the assets files being corrupted so I'm reinstalling the game now to try again. Here's the output file if it helps you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0007r8hwt1ly22i/output_log.txt?dl=0

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Cluncho McChunk posted:

I'm still getting the same problem(s), now it also only lets me out of my constructed bases in my older saved file. Using the door from the inside plays the leaving animation and dumps me outside, same with moonpool ladders, but I can just float up into the moonpool if I want. The output file says something about one of the assets files being corrupted so I'm reinstalling the game now to try again. Here's the output file if it helps you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0007r8hwt1ly22i/output_log.txt?dl=0

Hm, the bootloader library wasn't found. When you ran the installer, did it point to the Subnautica folder? Basically, the files installed should look like this:

\Subnautica
- AssemblyPatcher.exe
\Subnautica_Data\Managed
- BootstrapLib.dll
- dnlib.dll
\Mods
- All the mod folders with DLLs in them

Can you check that everything is where it's supposed to be? I've never used this type of installer, so if it's not doing what it should I'll go break out WiX or something.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

HexiDave posted:

Hm, the bootloader library wasn't found. When you ran the installer, did it point to the Subnautica folder? Basically, the files installed should look like this:

\Subnautica
- AssemblyPatcher.exe
\Subnautica_Data\Managed
- BootstrapLib.dll
- dnlib.dll
\Mods
- All the mod folders with DLLs in them

Can you check that everything is where it's supposed to be? I've never used this type of installer, so if it's not doing what it should I'll go break out WiX or something.

It should have been pointing to the right location, however I have my games installed on another drive to C: so I had to specify it. I've now deleted the whole folder to start from scratch but I'll check it out again once it's reinstalled.

Would this have been able to tell you for sure though? I had the previous mod version installed so those files would still be there even if the new ones weren't right? Do the new mod versions cleanly overwrite each other?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What is the scan radius of a scanner room with 4 range upgrades installed?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

What is the scan radius of a scanner room with 4 range upgrades installed?

500m I think.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Cluncho McChunk posted:

It should have been pointing to the right location, however I have my games installed on another drive to C: so I had to specify it. I've now deleted the whole folder to start from scratch but I'll check it out again once it's reinstalled.

Would this have been able to tell you for sure though? I had the previous mod version installed so those files would still be there even if the new ones weren't right? Do the new mod versions cleanly overwrite each other?

With the tests I ran, it should overwrite the old versions of the mods correctly. The log showed that it couldn't find the main library I built to share functionality. I'll be building a small app for the installer to locate the Subnautica folder correctly in the future to make things easier.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The multipurpose room not having any huge benefit is exactly why it shouldn't be locked. The main reason people want it is for aesthetics. Since you can't actually do anything with it you can't do with a simple hallway at the start, there's no reason it should be withheld from the player.

Literally all of the aesthetics stuff aside from windows is locked and you have to go out and find it. You don't start with any aesthetics stuff, and of the aesthetic stuff the multi-purpose room is by far the easiest to find with multiple instances of it in fixed locations and multiple signals pointing you at it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Good ol' scanner room hopping for stuff.

Bioreactor is ok but charges too slow for any serious base usage. Multipurpose rooms are a big boon on base design not only because they're good rooms but also because they have 8 slots you can stick reinforcements in so you can have one really tough room and the rest of your base as glass/windows.

bioreactor's purpose is as a backup for serious powerdrain times on thermals, so they should take minimal time

like "i'm charging 4 batteries, 2 cells, the prawn and running the scanner"

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

HexiDave posted:

With the tests I ran, it should overwrite the old versions of the mods correctly. The log showed that it couldn't find the main library I built to share functionality. I'll be building a small app for the installer to locate the Subnautica folder correctly in the future to make things easier.

Ok, with the reinstall and reinstalling the mod I confirmed all files were in the right location and it seems to be working now. I lost my save games but hey, the early game is easy if you know where to go. Thanks, loving the mods so far!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
TBH, I think that the moon pool is required for a first real base, placing it first since the orientation matters so much. I always want to be exiting the seamoth into my base area, not on the other side or some awkward thing. Even if my base ends up sprawling around the moon pool with endless multipurpose rooms...

Also, the multipurpose room is infinitely superior to a passageway. With the passage, you can place maybe 3-4 lockers total? With the mp room, I can place T or U formations of lockers on each diagonal side for 12 to 16 total and still have the doorways free.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

TBH, I think that the moon pool is required for a first real base, placing it first since the orientation matters so much. I always want to be exiting the seamoth into my base area, not on the other side or some awkward thing. Even if my base ends up sprawling around the moon pool with endless multipurpose rooms...

Also, the multipurpose room is infinitely superior to a passageway. With the passage, you can place maybe 3-4 lockers total? With the mp room, I can place T or U formations of lockers on each diagonal side for 12 to 16 total and still have the doorways free.

You CAN cram a shitload of lockers in a single straight hallway... But that's mostly down to wrestling with the absurd placement logic these days. So while I can if I want to put like, 6 in a row eventually, it's so not worth the effort.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ambaire posted:

Also, the multipurpose room is infinitely superior to a passageway. With the passage, you can place maybe 3-4 lockers total? .
I've had more than a dozen wall lockers in my single I compartment base. As long as you don't have a ladder up you can place lockers on both sides all the way down to the end.
Are you talking about the other lockers with quartz? I've never built those.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GlyphGryph posted:

Literally all of the aesthetics stuff aside from windows is locked and you have to go out and find it. You don't start with any aesthetics stuff, and of the aesthetic stuff the multi-purpose room is by far the easiest to find with multiple instances of it in fixed locations and multiple signals pointing you at it.

Most aesthetic stuff can only be placed inside rooms though. The multipurpose room is part of your base, so when you're planning it out and constructing it its nice to have it even if you can't do anything with it yet. You're not exactly giving any good reason why you shouldn't start with it either.

Also you're wrong anyways; you start with the aquarium recipe, which is purely aesthetic, and it can't even be built until you get the multipurpose room because it doesn't fit in hallways. Which is the main reason why I was so confused about not having a blueprint for a room when I first started playing.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 22, 2018

uftheory
May 30, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Most aesthetic stuff can be placed inside rooms though. The multipurpose room is part of your base, so when you're planning it out and constructing it its nice to have it even if you can't do anything with it yet. You're not exactly giving any good reason why you shouldn't start with it either.

Also you're wrong anyways; you start with the aquarium recipe, which is purely aesthetic, and it can't even be built until you get the multipurpose room because it doesn't fit in hallways. Which is the main reason why I was so confused about not having a blueprint for a room when I first started playing.

I see this as a survival game first and a base building game second. If you want a base that is fully planned out from the start you should play creative mode in my opinion. Being required to first to deal with a substandard base that is just some lockers crammed into a hallway with a solar panel on top was part of the charm for me. Besides, they make bases fully deconstructable without loss which is insanely generous for a survival game, allowing you to re-plan the perfect base after you get the room.

It was one of the more rewarding discoveries in the game for me (I knew about it, wanted it, then eventually got it) and I'm surprised people want to take that away and make it available from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I forgot about the aquarium. I also had one in my first basic base before I got the multipurpose room.

Also I agree with the above. Expanding from a lovely base to figuring out how to make the basic rooms work to make a nice one to getting and integrating tje big rooms is a good progression, gamefeel wise.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 22, 2018