Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

null_pointer posted:

I think we could consider "defeat the various forces" (fungals and transdimensionals) and "gently caress off to somewhere else" to be win states that are achievable given the game.
It could involve finding certain artifacts in labs, gathering raw material, and hooking up enough of the power stations so that you can Activate the Doohicky and then it automatically opens up DoomRL to continue the story as you fight your way through Mars and Hell

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Fixed that for you.

That's a pretty good idea actually.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I want, more than anything else, a way to stop the fungaloids. Like totally remove them from existence even if it is very difficult.

Extremely lategame outpost quest where you clear out an airfield for them, then bring them rare parts to help rehabilitate some broken-down bombers, then bring them the gear they need to brew their own fuel and napalm, then help get GPS and other satellite systems back online so they can receive bombardment coordinates from long range and use satellite imaging to confirm targets and whatnot. This gives you the ability to call in airstrikes.

Later you can bring them a shitload of fungicide to unlock fungicidal airstrikes, which in turn unlocks a quest to call in fungicidal strikes on fungal spires and/or towers. After you do that a few times, the coordinator you've been working with tells you that the satellite nerds have actually gotten pretty good at spotting fungal outbreaks, and the bombers have been regularly flying around scouring them clean - but by all means, radio in if you see one they haven't got yet. From that point on, the spawn rate of fungaloids and fungal map features drops to 0, and you can use airstrikes to obliterate any lingering fungal outbreaks you've already seen.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Extremely lategame outpost quest where you clear out an airfield for them, then bring them rare parts to help rehabilitate some broken-down bombers, then bring them the gear they need to brew their own fuel and napalm, then help get GPS and other satellite systems back online so they can receive bombardment coordinates from long range and use satellite imaging to confirm targets and whatnot. This gives you the ability to call in airstrikes.

Later you can bring them a shitload of fungicide to unlock fungicidal airstrikes, which in turn unlocks a quest to call in fungicidal strikes on fungal spires and/or towers. After you do that a few times, the coordinator you've been working with tells you that the satellite nerds have actually gotten pretty good at spotting fungal outbreaks, and the bombers have been regularly flying around scouring them clean - but by all means, radio in if you see one they haven't got yet. From that point on, the spawn rate of fungaloids and fungal map features drops to 0, and you can use airstrikes to obliterate any lingering fungal outbreaks you've already seen.

Oh god yes please

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Okay, so that's the way you could (possibly) take care of the fungaloids.

What about the transdimensionals? Close the portals that the Mi-Go are using? Jump through them and do boss-fights to destroy whatever machinery are holding the portal open from their side?

And how would you defeat the zombies? Release some sort of micro-toxin that kills the undead? Maybe have to farm stuff from various labs, across the map?

Is there anything existing in the game, now, that would lend itself to being creatively repurposed for a "defeat the horrors" series of quests?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Maybe to deal with transdimensionals you extract some sort of essence from artifacts and use it to create a netherworld disruption bomb? You could also use it in smaller amounts to create void grenades that suck netherworld creatures into them. That would make Artifacts actually have a point and make their weird effects more of a temporary flavor before you drop them in your Bureau of Balance atomizer or whatever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Multiple or escape/ride out goals lend themselves better to the survival sandbox stuff

If you want a structured narrative backbone, it starts writing itself. So you probably want one beginner milestone, and something like 3 main milestones goals, culminating in an Ascension run of sorts. Room for expansion on the main milestones to tier them out further.

So like beginner milestone, raid the HQ of the bad corporation running all the labs. Then 3 milestones that are semi interchangable depending on build focus: so like find a zombie cure, destroy some aspect of the cthonic something or other in mines and get to the heart of a fungal colony. These 3 milestones give macguffins that let you raid the other dimension, either saving the world or ruining theirs out of contempt.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Here's what I have planned for my remake (since it's never actually gonna happen, might as well share it instead!):

Slime: These guys are holding open a bunch of portals from their dimension, connected to a massive slime pool. It can't actually find our dimension if all the existent portals are closed, so you need to travel through (using a dimensional piercer device that allows you to travel the "wrong way" through portals and via one of the portals its holding open, which can be found in some labs) and rampage around the slime pool closing them all from the slime-side and doing as much damage as possible with explosives and fire and nukes that the slime can't bring it's full attention to bear on you and has to spend most of its time repairing damage. Destroy all the portals (or do enough damage to the slime pool that it's forced to release them) to permanently free your world from slime. If you care about your character, there might even be a few ways to get home afterwards... You'll still have to deal with the remnants in our world, but they will be forever cut off from the source and without those portals opened the endless free energy most slime runs on will be a lot weaker, rendering every mutant, zombie, and slime critter slower, stupider, and less resilient. And pretty much disabling zombie ressurection.

Mycus: Dealing with the Mycus is a two part endeavour. First, you need to get rid of the source - any attempt to destroy the mycus in our world will just result in it returning. So that means traveling to the mycus dimension. Portals to that dimension can be found at the center of most mycus areas, since that's where it expanded from. But how do you kill a whole planet ecosystem? You could do the slime route and close the portals, but since they aren't being "held open", this is actually a lot harder, especially since there might be hundreds of them spread all over the planet. That leaves genocide as the obvious alternative. Head to their planet and open some new portals - either to the "cold dimension" or the "hot dimension". You might be familiar with the cold dimension portals from the cold labs, I can't recall if the hot dimension ones ever made it in. Make them big, and powerful. Open up a dozen or so! In short order, the Mycus planet will become inhospitable to Mycus life and boom, you've taken care of them at their source, which at least means no new Mycus sources. Even better, the hostile temperatures will travel through the portals to your homeworld and do pretty serious damage to the core of most mycus territory, leaving only the "Frontier" bits of the mycus ecosystem still running in most places. Travel home, and figure out how to deal with what remains - either burn them out manually or, if you're ambitious and smart, use various triffid pieces and science lab equipment to engineer a bio-lab plague and release it into the atmosphere. Technically if you release enough of that last one on the home planet it will work as well as the portals would, but it does require a smarter character doing more than just activating stolen equipment.

Vrikor Aliens: These guys are not currently in Cataclysm, but are in my plans. They have a big spaceship full of their near defenseless civilians while their military rampages down on the planet below. You would travel up to it and either blow it, do enough damage to convince them to flee (which is actually the best way to get the current military forces off the planet), up or hack the system to set it to crash into the moon or the planet, if there's some part of the planet you really hate, like Australia. If you're really clever, you'll figure out how it's dimensional jump tech works and put a virus on the system so that when they attempt to flee, it will jump to the dimension or your choice and crash it into one of the two planets mentioned above instead, killing two birds with one stone.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Definetly more stuff with other dimensions. I've already said I want to do actual dungeon runs with my cataclysm chars, but some alternative overmaps even like Xcom Apocalypse was going to have would be amazing.

That also gives me an idea for another end game. Leading Refugees or the Federal Remnants out in the ocean to another world. I mean, if the mycus and the slime can invade our world, then couldn't we do the same with some other world out there? Getting an outpost set up, and working on supplies to actually send the ships through and establish some beachhead in some other world would be a lot of fun.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

GlyphGryph posted:

Vrikor Aliens: These guys are not currently in Cataclysm, but are in my plans. . .

If this revival/branch project actually gets off the ground, and is showing sincere progress, please drop these plans on us. It's still possible!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Definetly more stuff with other dimensions. I've already said I want to do actual dungeon runs with my cataclysm chars, but some alternative overmaps even like Xcom Apocalypse was going to have would be amazing.

I'd love a Conquest of Elysium-esque system with multiple worlds, difficult to visit and not directly rewarding but useful nonetheless... but I think it should for sure wait until the game as it stands is hammered into better shape.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Conquest of Elysium owns, and more games need to crib from Illwinter's philosophy of having asymmetric groups broken in their own unique way.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Did anyone ever write up instructions on how to get the downloaded code compiled in Visual Studio, or some other modern tool?

Aside from that, what's the best first topic we can attack? UI? Combat system? Item cleanup? Crafting system? poo poo, man, I've hosed around with 0.C and had a great time, but I've been blissfully aware of the whole shitstorm, as of late, other than Granade being a extinction-level rear end in a top hat.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
At what point would it be less difficult to build a whole new game from the ground up and pull ideas here and there, really?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What happened, was progress made on the goon mod?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

No, the Discord server seems to be a graveyard now.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That's sad.

How's the main game? I haven't played since this thread got the idea of making their own version.

Have there been any major changes, any fun breaking changes at the expense of realism?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

KaosMachina posted:

At what point would it be less difficult to build a whole new game from the ground up and pull ideas here and there, really?

That is definitely the more difficult option for now, unless you're planning a far more ambitious overhaul.

I mean that's basically what I was doing for a little while, but it was mostly a break before I moved on to my current project and I didn't get super far because god daaaamn do I hate doing pathfinding.

It's up here if anyone wants to pick it up, though. Even comes with a dev plan, of which I completed Part 1 of the first milestone before moving on.
https://github.com/GlyphGryph/DarkerDaysAhead/tree/master/app

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

So is the way to play right now to use the cdda-launcher and download the latest version? Once you start should you continue to update the game or only when you die and want to play a new world?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Picked this up recently by a friend's excited suggestion and trying to get my bearings. Is there anyplace in the thread that runs down some of the major or more popular mods? Even the ones included in the normal download seem barely explained (and some I literally can't find discussion or explanation of), but the big fan ones are hard to navigate too. Catacylsm++ I see get recommended everywhere but skimming the readme doesn't yield a whole lot that seems that revolutionary, outside a bunch of laser guns and more solar powered items. PK's rebalance seems to have even less documentation, and I hear a lot about Coolthulu's rebalance as well .But even stuff like the "makeshift items mod" seems kind of cryptic.

If there's any kind of explanation or common consensus for mods like this, or even just personal opinions on what mods are and aren't worth flipping on, I'd really appreciate the insight from more experienced players than myself.

The one specific question I have, on top of all that, is if the Generic Guns mod is functional. I tried turning it on for a new world and got an occasional error about ammo not being found or some similar message. Is this something to be worried about? Harmless bug or am I getting whole stacks of ammo not generating or something? I'd really prefer to have it on if possible, though, since as someone who never cared about the minutiae of real world guns it's much easier to manage the descriptive names than the model names.

Thanks in advance.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 3, 2018

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Even if it wonks some stuff I 100% recommend using Generic Guns if you can't stand fiddly minutae. It could be somehow causing 75% of the ammo in the world to not spawn and you would still have like 10 times as much usable ammo as you normally would because jesus christ trying to keep guns fed in the base game is a loving pain in the rear end with the dozens and dozens and dozens of different kinds of bullets for different kinds of guns.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Don't forget the many different clips meaning you have another object to find if you want to be able to quickly reload.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so the chance for this game to ever meaningfully improve is basically nil outside of granade being smote, right? :smith:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Eh, it still gets worked on. Its free for anyone to fork anyways.

Personally for guns I dont mind it. If magazines and ammo were easy to find then id just use the same guns every run. Having a pile of random guns and ammo makes me feel like that scene in Fury Road.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

so the chance for this game to ever meaningfully improve is basically nil outside of granade being smote, right? :smith:

It would be trivial to fork and start your own branch. In fact, that was how Dark Days Ahead happened - it had gotten into a similar cycle where it looked like there would never be any more genuine improvements and I, personally, went out and found a bunch of people and convinced them to work on it and did the support work to make it so they could.

You don't need to smote anyone, you just need to give the people doing the actual work a better alternative. A clear vision, sufficient support structure, a dutiful maintainer willing to handle merge and feature requests in a timely manner.

It's very obvious at this point though that no one is going to do that so yeah, there's no real chance of it improving anymore imo.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
If somebody does fork this game, can they make it so that when I throw a football to an NPC follower, they catch it and maybe throw it back, instead of killing me with a twelve gauge

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Dress up three of your NPCs in tuxedos and play catch with a football in some brick alley between raids. +10000 morale.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Dress up three of your NPCs in tuxedos and play catch with a football in some brick alley between raids. +10000 morale.
Also start a spoon collection.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

TresTristesTigres posted:

If somebody does fork this game, can they make it so that when I throw a football to an NPC follower, they catch it and maybe throw it back, instead of killing me with a twelve gauge

What a story Mark!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Anyone still playing this?
Apparently they're close to the next stable release.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Marenghi posted:

Anyone still playing this?
Apparently they're close to the next stable release.

I played it a bit recently, it’s still pretty fun if you can get a character started and deal with the idiosyncrasies. The biggest takeaway I saw from doing so was they’ve continued taking out most of the major changes since their last update: cybernetics no longer have a max space, and dex/per once again have a (listed?) effect on ranged combat. The overall effect is it hasn’t changed much since 0.C, just a bit more content. Enemies are a bit stronger, clothes are a bit crummier to help keep people from getting further on and finding the content hole, and there’s a bunch of weird new car parts, but for better or worse it’s still mostly the same.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i was saying to myself i need to get back to playing just yesterday, actually. where did you see they're close to 0.D?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/milestone/10

Says it's 93% complete to the next stable build.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
without going into a ton of history that nobody really cares about, that isn't a resounding endorsement

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol @ what this game once was, and what it could be again

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My experience with this game is watching people play on twitch occasionally and it generally seems pretty neat. What happened?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

taqueso posted:

My experience with this game is watching people play on twitch occasionally and it generally seems pretty neat. What happened?

Development has stalled a lot, it's been 3 years since the last major release. It's still the same good game it's always been.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

esquilax posted:

Development has stalled a lot, it's been 3 years since the last major release. It's still the same good game it's always been.

Most of the development seems geared towards making the game worse, or at least is tangential to actual improvements that nearly everyone agrees on, which doesn't help.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

RabidWeasel posted:

Most of the development seems geared towards making the game worse, or at least is tangential to actual improvements that nearly everyone agrees on, which doesn't help.

Case in point: to install bionics, you now need to kill time micromanaging your painkiller dose, which for commonly available stuff means taking a shot of heroin, waiting more or less 3-4 hours, taking another shot, and waiting for the second shot's painkiller curve to peak. If you just take them at the same time, you nearly kill yourself and need to eat like three or four days worth of food and water. If you take around 20 abstract power units of painkillers, you get a long drawn-out death as your character repeatedly falls over asleep, eventually goes blind, and has their heart stop.

Realism! :discourse:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

One of my favorite runs was accidentally chowing down on uncooked meat, getting some form of parasite and embarking on a weeklong search for a pharmacy with the right anti parasite drug, fueled by a potent combination of painkillers, cocaine, and methamphetamine. My character would randomly pass out from exhaustion then wake up when a random zombie would wander up and start taking bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Isn't it possible to craft antiparasite drugs and painkillers from herbs and stuff now, though?
I'm not saying that invalidates the above complaints, just that there's methods of mitigating it. Besides not eating raw meat in a post-apocalyptic setting.