Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

HootTheOwl posted:

There will be no talk about acquiring veteran presence, leadership, or grit without three-time Cup winning champion Brent Seabrook.

Yeah but how good is he at crosschecking people in the back after they score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah but how good is he at crosschecking people in the back after they score?

He's pretty meh at that, but he will take penalties rather than turn around. And one time he [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFCiYri04Oo]killed David Bakes[\url].

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DJExile posted:

Nathan Gerbe isn't head and shoulders above anybody

Big things, small packages? :lol:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While we're waiting for TRADES, here's some trivia:

There are currently five NHL captains who have not played their entire career for their team. Name them.
-One is a co-captain
-One won a cup with this team
-Two have played for three franchises (the previous one and this guy)
-One was drafted by the Coyotes
-One has a family history of jumping

Bonus question: Four teams don't currently have captains. Why the hell not?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Zodijackylite posted:

There are currently five NHL captains who have not played their entire career for their team. Name them.
-One is a co-captain

So 'won a cup' and 'three franchises' is Chara for NYI/Ottawa/Boston

Also the Leafs haven't had a captain since Phaneuf. They're basically keeping the seat warm for Matthews.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Zodijackylite posted:

-One is a co-captain

Derek Mckenzie is one.

e: Though it turns out I don't know the captain of a bunch of teams.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
McDonagh is one of them

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thufir posted:

Derek Mckenzie is one.

e: Though it turns out I don't know the captain of a bunch of teams.

And he's the other 3 franchise guy.

Jordan Staal is the co-captain.

Wheeler was drafted by the Coyotes.

Foligno is the last one.

JawKnee posted:

McDonagh is one of them

He's only counting guys who have games played with other teams, I think. Or there would be more than 5.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

-One is a co-captain

- dunno, the Sedins I guess? They could swap jerseys and no one would be the wiser :v:
- Chara played for the Isles, Sens, and Bruins (won a Cup with the Bs). Derek MacKenzie played for the Jackets, Thrashers, and Panthers. Does Blake Wheeler count?
- dunno
- dunno

Captain-less teams: Sabres, Leafs, Knights, and uhhhhh Habs cuz Bergevin is gonna trade Patch for nothing

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He's only counting guys who have games played with other teams, I think. Or there would be more than 5.

ah, yeah I wondered if he'd played any games for the habs after posting that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JawKnee posted:

ah, yeah I wondered if he'd played any games for the habs after posting that

I had to check to make sure too. He didn't actually play an NHL game until nearly 4 years after he was drafted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reminder, 10:30 (well, around 10:45 but coverage probably starts at 10:30) tonight, US vs Canada, gold medal game for women.

Because it'll be much better than the men's, that's for sure.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

iospace posted:

Reminder, 10:30 (well, around 10:45 but coverage probably starts at 10:30) tonight, US vs Canada, gold medal game for women.

Because it'll be much better than the men's, that's for sure.

actually, women are bad at sports

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Andrew Ladd

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So Tony Granato said the Russian team could be a top 10 team in the NHL, what do you guys think?

code:
No.	Pos.	Name	
83	G	Vasily Koshechkin	
30	G	Igor Shestyorkin	
31	G	Ilya Sorokin	
4	D	Vladislav Gavrikov	
3	D	Dinar Khafizullin	
55	D	Bogdan Kiselevich	 
53	D	Alexey Marchenko	
89	D	Nikita Nesterov	
26	D	Vyacheslav Voynov	
2	D	Artyom Zub	
28	D	Andrei Zubarev	
11	F	Sergei Andronov
94	F	Alexander Barabanov	
13	F	Pavel Datsyuk
25	F	Mikhail Grigorenko	
97	F	Nikita Gusev 
29	F	Ilya Kablukov	
77	F	Sergey Kalinin	
27	F	Kirill Kaprizov	
71	F	Ilya Kovalchuk	
10	F	Sergei Mozyakin
74	F	Nikolai Prokhorkin	
87	F	Vadim Shipachyov
52	F	Sergei Shirokov
7	F	Ivan Telegin
I think top 10 is optimistic, but that's probably a playoff contender depending on how highly you rate their goalies/Kaprizov/Gusev.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Russians don’t play defense so well, the one that did make the NHL is barred from the US.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Tony Granato is so wrong.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

TRADES

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/966462222833733632

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That Russian team would get shithoused in the NHL.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

First of all, the equipment staff would run out of Vs to put on jerseys.

I'm kind of curious how good Kovalchuk would be in the NHL right now though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mind_Taker posted:

What makes you think that? I think they'd struggle with the small ice but given enough practice the talent is there.

Thufir posted:

I'm kind of curious how good Kovalchuk would be in the NHL right now though.

He'd be similar to what Radulov is.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why? what a bad return for reider

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

and the coyotes dont have a captain

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

What makes you think that? I think they'd struggle with the small ice but given enough practice the talent is there.

He'd be similar to what Radulov is.

The defense looks terrible, no real forward depth, and questionable goaltending. Maybe shithoused isn’t accurate but they don’t look close to a playoff team.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Strange trade for the Coyotes since they are giving Rieder away for nothing except one less contract.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mind_Taker posted:

The defense looks terrible, no real forward depth, and questionable goaltending. Maybe shithoused isn’t accurate but they don’t look close to a playoff team.

Hmmm questionable is a bit harsh on the goaltending. It's not NHL proven, but those are the two best goalies outside the NHL by just about every estimation and they're only getting better. That forward depth is pretty comparable to midpack NHL teams, I think you're selling a few of those guys short -- the defense is obviously the weak point even if Mike Tyson gets to play.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

What a dumb trade. Why give away Reider? He's not a star but he's at least a quality third liner.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man the Kings managed to profit like crazy on a UFA they had no intention or interest in re-signing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I like the speed the Kings added with Rieder, Kuemper is a fantastic goalie but the Kings gotta play the frequent anchor Quick.

With Phaneuf scoring 3 goals in 4 games for Gaborik who was riding the bench, and now an RFA Rieder for Kuemper who would've walked, Blake good?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i guess the only thing is, maybe this new look rieder (20 points in 60 games) is where he tops out at after a bunch of leg injuries.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

hifi posted:

i guess the only thing is, maybe this new look rieder (20 points in 60 games) is where he tops out at after a bunch of leg injuries.

That's still a 25-30 point forward which is nothing to sneeze at given he's 24 and should be serviceable for another 5-8 years. I guess Chayka is moving on from Raanta and thinks he can get a sizeable return at the deadline for him?

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

rieders a good player when hes motivated

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

grack posted:

What a dumb trade. Why give away Reider? He's not a star but he's at least a quality third liner.

You don't get a chance to get players like Kale Kessy very often. Reider would have cost too much, and Kale Kessy is huge and better!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Man the Kings managed to profit like crazy on a UFA they had no intention or interest in re-signing.

that can't be right, JB said there's no interest right now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

That's still a 25-30 point forward which is nothing to sneeze at given he's 24 and should be serviceable for another 5-8 years. I guess Chayka is moving on from Raanta and thinks he can get a sizeable return at the deadline for him?

the beat writers are all talking about the raanta/kuemper 1-2 punch so i don't think that's their plan.

e: https://twitter.com/davest4yotes/status/966462889287544832

on spec posted:

rieders a good player when hes motivated

he always looks motivated tbh. he's basically a mini shane doan where he's thick down low with a worse shot than you'd expect and he can grind along the boards. the previous years he was good for 1-2 breakaways a game where nobody was anywhere near him and he'd miss the net most of the time, and that's kind of dried up. i guess he didn't really meet the ceiling coyotes fans wanted back when he scored twice on like ten seconds vs the oilers a few years back.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

hifi posted:

the beat writers are all talking about the raanta/kuemper 1-2 punch so i don't think that's their plan.

e: https://twitter.com/davest4yotes/status/966462889287544832

Yeah, the Yotes are in dire need of a backup, and a 1.85x2 deal is solid. Wedgwood was really bad, but the guys backing him up were even worse and put up an 0-9 record while giving up four goals per game and stopping six of seven picks.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Yeah, the Yotes are in dire need of a backup, and a 1.85x2 deal is solid. Wedgwood was really bad, but the guys backing him up were even worse and put up an 0-9 record while giving up four goals per game and stopping six of seven picks.

i agree that quality backup goalie play would result in more wins but there's no reason to trade assets to rotate through domingue, wedgewood, and now kuemper when the team is so loving bad. kuemper willingly re-signed here as a soon to be UFA so why couldn't we wait?

and wedgewood was the backup that got pressed into service when raanta had a whole bunch of injuries.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Zodijackylite posted:

-One is a co-captain

can we use this quiz as an excuse to talk about derek mackenzie
i fuckin love derek mackenzie
how many dudes have mucked it up in the ahl for so long and still ended up captain of an nhl team
derek mackenzie is a goddamn beaut

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

checksin posted:

can we use this quiz as an excuse to talk about derek mackenzie
i fuckin love derek mackenzie
how many dudes have mucked it up in the ahl for so long and still ended up captain of an nhl team
derek mackenzie is a goddamn beaut

It's Florida, so half credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hifi posted:

i agree that quality backup goalie play would result in more wins but there's no reason to trade assets to rotate through domingue, wedgewood, and now kuemper when the team is so loving bad. kuemper willingly re-signed here as a soon to be UFA so why couldn't we wait?

and wedgewood was the backup that got pressed into service when raanta had a whole bunch of injuries.

The same reason teams trade picks for a player's rights a few days before they become a UFA - sometimes it helps to get a guy to sign there. While it doesn't look great on paper, Arizona isn't the most attractive team and it might make a guy feel wanted there rather than trying to be lured in as a UFA. I don't entirely get it, but there's more to it than on paper. And yeah, Wedgewood and those other guys were alarmingly bad, thus why they might want to try to get an early start on having two serviceable-or-better goalies next year.

I suspect the Yotes had soured on Rieder and were apprehensive to tender him a qualifying offer of $2.45m for next year. They have a fancystats GM and he has the worst Corsi/Fenwick Rel of a forward other than Zac Rinaldo.

• Locked thread