Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Canada has ~36m people and a GDP only slightly larger than Florida. There aren't enough money or fans there to support two teams.

Did Canada poo poo on your breakfast or something? What is going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Give Quebec City the Rays because Seattle is gonna end up getting the NHL expansion team they want.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

Did Canada poo poo on your breakfast or something? What is going on here.

Tayne. Tayne never changes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Please don’t make me cheer for the Marlins, Stu Sternberg :smith:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lol if you think your share of Packers stock is anything more than a $275 membership card for the Official Packers Fan Club.
Those shares don't have equity claims or get dividends, but they do have voting rights. And there are roughly 1,900 shareholders from the stock sales pre-1997 which do have equity interests, so they are owned by a large group of people even if it isn't hundreds of thousands.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

St. Pete sucks tho

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No it doesn't, Tampa is the city that sucks in the bay area.

Yeah stpete is superior to Tampa in literally every way possible

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Swish was a billy beane guy, right?

He was the big draft prize in the book. The catcher that had more written about him in the book was the underslot guy they picked so they could "afford" to sign Swisher.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Some goon that cares more than me should make a GDT, theres technically baseball on! The Diamondbacks [minor leaguers] are playing the Sun Devils!

There'll be even more college team games playing tomorow! And then real MiLB vs MiLB games on Friday!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Yeah stpete is superior to Tampa in literally every way possible

Best decision I ever made was moving from Tampa to St.Pete. There's no reason whatsoever to go to Tampa other than there's an Ikea over there (lol), and maybe if the Rays move but they'll probably end up in Canada/Portland/Alaska anyways.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good Dog posted:

Some goon that cares more than me should make a GDT, theres technically baseball on! The Diamondbacks [minor leaguers] are playing the Sun Devils!

There'll be even more college team games playing tomorow! And then real MiLB vs MiLB games on Friday!

Is there anyway to actually watch the majors vs minors/college team games?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Best decision I ever made was moving from Tampa to St.Pete. There's no reason whatsoever to go to Tampa other than there's an Ikea over there (lol), and maybe if the Rays move but they'll probably end up in Canada/Portland/Alaska anyways.

I have always assumed that Tampa, St. Pete, and Clearwater were all just one amorphious blob of Florida Sprawl, like how Phoenix and all of the Dales are for Arizona.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is there anyway to actually watch the majors vs minors/college team games?

Just go to the mlb.com website and the games are listed on the left hand side where you can get radio/video feeds.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Inspector_666 posted:

I have always assumed that Tampa, St. Pete, and Clearwater were all just one amorphious blob of Florida Sprawl, like how Phoenix and all of the Dales are for Arizona.

Tampa and St. Pete are divided by water and it’s hard to get from one to the other without either driving half an hour out of your way in a big circle or taking lovely bridges that weren’t sufficient in 1980.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

They are. I apparently drove through Holliday, Tarpon Springs, Clearwater and Tampa four months ago. The only one that I could tell any difference in was old Tampa Bay because of the cobblestone streets.

Also that area sucks for labeling its highways and the stoplights are atrocious. All the buildings have that same weathered and dirty look to them, but they're all occupied because space is at a premium.

I wish I could remember more about seeing a game at the Trop during the Ray's inaugural season. I do recall the lack of parking and buying a T-shirt as part of a sweet inaugural season package. Something like $20 for a shirt, program and poster. Besides the deal, the main things I can recommend about that area are Bananas Records and that the interstates aren't crowded.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popete posted:

Just go to the mlb.com website and the games are listed on the left hand side where you can get radio/video feeds.

For the one today clicking on it listed only, “No Feeds Available.”

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Spoeank posted:

EXTRA INNINGS ARE FUN LEAVE THEM ALONE

Being 2am clicking MLB to see the scores and seeing some west coast teams in a 15 inning still going is the best part of the season, unironically.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For the one today clicking on it listed only, “No Feeds Available.”

Hmmm odd I just tried (clicking the TV icon) and it took me to the feed. Looks like the game just ended though.

There is no audio though (just music) so if you were trying to listen to an audio only feed that might not be available.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The first Cubs ST game is being streamed Friday and I legit cannot wait to watch baseball again even if it's dumb spring training baseball.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popete posted:

Hmmm odd I just tried (clicking the TV icon) and it took me to the feed. Looks like the game just ended though.

There is no audio though (just music) so if you were trying to listen to an audio only feed that might not be available.

That might explain it, for some reason clicking on the TV icon wasn’t doing anything on my browser. Good to know for tomorrow though.

Sydin posted:

The first Cubs ST game is being streamed Friday and I legit cannot wait to watch baseball again even if it's dumb spring training baseball.

Man I’m so excited for baseball I was watching replays of College Baseball last night...well after the Flyers game.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Those shares don't have equity claims or get dividends, but they do have voting rights. And there are roughly 1,900 shareholders from the stock sales pre-1997 which do have equity interests, so they are owned by a large group of people even if it isn't hundreds of thousands.

Also in this conversation it is odd to criticize the worthless stock because the lack of dividends or equity is exactly why it is the best. Profits are invested back into the team rather than going to a billionaire or stock holders. Too bad the NFL has a hard cap because it would be really interesting to see what their payroll would look like if there wasn't.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it would make a lot of sense to move the rays to charlotte, no? their aaa team is in durham, a couple of hours away, and there's no obvious fandom. atlanta, i guess, but that's still far and gently caress atlanta

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Haha, the Braves are starting Scott Kazmir on Sunday, I barely even remembered they'd gotten him in the Kemp trade and had somehow convinced myself he'd been DFA'd immediately like Gonzalez.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

And that's how I will spend my Friday.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I made a predictions/toxx thread.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Athanatos posted:

Being 2am clicking MLB to see the scores and seeing some west coast teams in a 15 inning still going is the best part of the season, unironically.
This is why there needs to be a team in Honolulu.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've occasionally debated getting the MLB package just to watch the occasional west coast game when I wake up.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I've occasionally debated getting the MLB package just to watch the occasional west coast game when I wake up.
poo poo even better is the sites that stream Japanese games in full HD so you can watch baseball all night when you can't sleep.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Tampa and St. Pete are divided by water and it’s hard to get from one to the other without either driving half an hour out of your way in a big circle or taking lovely bridges that weren’t sufficient in 1980.

Depends where you’re going. I live St.Pete and work in South Tampa (the only part of Tampa worth a drat) and it takes me 15 minutes to get to work over the Gandy which almost never has any gridlock.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazy Ted posted:

poo poo even better is the sites that stream Japanese games in full HD so you can watch baseball all night when you can't sleep.

Can you tell pm me these sites?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Athanatos posted:

I almost screwed up a job interview from being exhausted from watching a like 17 inning giants game nearly all night the night before

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I wouldn't say St.Pete is really a part of the sprawl so much because it's a peninsula surrounded by water so lots of it is beach towns and barrier islands. So you get lots of beaches plus an awesome downtown area that's a cool place to hang out unlike downtown Tampa that's all business oriented. It does have some sprawl further north, but nothing like Tampa which is the definition of urban sprawl.

One of the initial ideas for the new Rays stadium years ago was to put it right near the water where Al Lang field is in downtown St.Pete which would have been incredible, something like the Giants have now, but the main thing that killed it was, again, parking issues. No way the proposed stadium in Ybor is going to work for that same reason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last year I actually went to sleep during a Yankee game in Oakland and woke up to find it still on. It took a minute for me to figure out what was happening.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I love extra innings games except for the fact that it fucks your bullpen up for the rest of the week till your rest day.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

I've met Rockies fans from Wyoming and western Nebraska so yeah they are pretty much beloved all across the nation

Pro sports in Colorado are different, it's always been a huge regional thing. The fan base area covers the entire mountain time zone, except when Arizona doesn't use daylight savings, and into western parts of the Dakotas and Kansas. There are just no other pro baseball teams around for like 23 million people.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

seiferguy posted:

I love extra innings games except for the fact that it fucks your bullpen up for the rest of the week till your rest day.

this wouldn't happen if managers just did the correct thing and let position players take the mound

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DrPossum posted:

this wouldn't happen if managers just did the correct thing and let position players take the mound

True, but then your position player ends up landing on the DL with shoulder inflammation...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

seiferguy posted:

True, but then your position player ends up landing on the DL with shoulder inflammation...
Slow-pitch softball style in extras innings. Happy?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
institute the designated pitcher and just rotate everyone around the field

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Why not just let the team's best hitter bat continuously and play with ghost runners. For gently caress's sake, Manfred is dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You could commission a Congerssional-level report called The 197 Ways to Make Major League Baseball more exciting, send it to MLB HQ, and Manfred would instead come up with a bunch of random poo poo off the top of his head that nobody had even thought of.

• Locked thread