Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Well I took my RS in for the head gasket recall yesterday. Really glad I am within a reasonable driving distance from the best Ford tech in the eastern United States. Should be done by Thursday and she’s so drat awesome she’s installing my CP-E Stage 2 rear motor mount for me too. If any of you RS owners are willing to drive to Dearborn, it’s worth it to know your car is in the best hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah, I am going to need a couple beers and a coupon code to pull the trigger on the mountune radiator. Hopefully I can get it for under 400. That and brake ducting are my two big mods for this year so I can track the car more reliably.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah i would def buy the montune one over the mishimoto. swapping the radiator is pretty much tearing down the front end all the way past the crash bar right? I spose in that case i might just save all my front end work for that and knock out the intake ram, FMIC and boost hoses while im doing the rad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dear thread, I hate you for showing me how cheap the IS38 is and how much power it lys a tune puts down.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
el oh el, this is how it starts and the problem with owning a turbo car

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

el oh el, this is how it starts and the problem with point of owning a turbo car

ftfy

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

el oh el, this is how it starts and the problem with owning a turbo car

Yep, youll be balls deep into an FMIC, radiator, e30 tune soon enough

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm holding on to the idea that I'm leaving it 100% stock, then trading it for a CTR once they start coming off lease :lol:

(Watch me pay it off by end of year, sell it, and buy some old BMW or Honda)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 20, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

Well I took my RS in for the head gasket recall yesterday. Really glad I am within a reasonable driving distance from the best Ford tech in the eastern United States. Should be done by Thursday and she’s so drat awesome she’s installing my CP-E Stage 2 rear motor mount for me too. If any of you RS owners are willing to drive to Dearborn, it’s worth it to know your car is in the best hands.

nnnnnng so jealous. It's only a 4.5 hour drive....

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

nnnnnng so jealous. It's only a 4.5 hour drive....

It might be worth it even at 4.5 hours. I know people are driving theirs over from Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo to have her work on them. I'm waiting on my new skid plate to come in before I get mine taken care of, winter did a number on the awful fiberboard thing that comes from the factory.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
It’s totally worth the 4.5 hour drive. I’m 3 hours from Dearborn in Fort Wayne and I wouldn’t hesitate in a second. She’s amazing and super thorough and genuinely cares about the cars and you. When I talked to her yesterday she said she’s got people from all over bringing her their RS’s to work on. She said she’s even got a guy driving in from San Diego to get his fixed.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Thinking about driving for uber or lyft with my 2012 4 door 6 spd gti.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Thinking about driving for uber or lyft with my 2012 4 door 6 spd gti.

I drove Uber in my fiesta ST for a while. It worked out ok and never had a problem fitting people and stuff in.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GutBomb posted:

I drove Uber in my fiesta ST for a while. It worked out ok and never had a problem fitting people and stuff in.

those poor back seat passengers.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Test and tune on Saturday was pretty fun. They ran it in 20 minute heats with a ten minute break to swap out workers. They had three courses set up, to where you could jump from one to the other.

Car did well for the most part but when you get to run a tight course back to back to back it seems to wreak havock on the brakes due to the torque vectoring.

After lunch they set up a proper course. Fastest cars were running around 36, my fastest was 40.7.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Whee, I'm 99.9% sure my blend door actuator ate poo poo while I was going out to eat tonight. About half way there the HVAC changed modes and suddenly I have about 10 seconds of knocking from the dashboard, and then the same thing when I started the car after dinner.

At least it seems to be a cheap part, though it looks like it'll be worse than the BMW fan speed controller to get to.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hatch Goons I’m trying my damnedest to get myself a Golf GTI, but I’m having a time doing so. I’ve got my eye on a 2016 GTI SE that’s a reasonable price, but the fellow that owned it threw down over 46k miles on the sucker in the year and a half he owned it. Service history shows it was dealer serviced at all the recommended intervals, but I don’t know if that’s worth anything in and of itself. It’s at a non VW dealership, so getting it certified isn’t an option. Can someone throw me a hot take or two before I make a mistake?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How much is it? I'd expect 14-16k for that, maybe?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
manual? dsg? what's the nadaguide and kbb price for it based on options, miles, color?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

18k and automatic. Not sure what the other things are, but I’ll check KBB on it in a minute. I did the math and homeboy had it only a year and a half, which averages to a hair over 87 miles driven every single day he had it. I’m a complete idiot about cars, but sounds WAY too high.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

18k and automatic. Not sure what the other things are, but I’ll check KBB on it in a minute. I did the math and homeboy had it only a year and a half, which averages to a hair over 87 miles driven every single day he had it. I’m a complete idiot about cars, but sounds WAY too high.

For what it's worth I have a 75 miile round trip commute and drive a fair bit on the weekends too, which comes out to around 26,000 per year. So it's possible if he has a similar situation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
maybe he had a long commute? i put 55k on a WRX in 2 years. over 100mi/day for a year and then less for the second year.

i havent had a long commute in 10 years but now i do and i'm going to hit 17k/yr on the first year, mostly commuting and no planned road trips. it's definitely doable.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 21, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s fair and completely possible for this area. What carries more weight here? The quantity of the miles or the “quality” of them?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
highway miles are easy miles, compared to grinding away in stop and go

make sure the DSG transmission was serviced at 40k, it's expensive to pay a shop to do it but essential for it to last as long as it should.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

BraveUlysses posted:

highway miles are easy miles, compared to grinding away in stop and go

make sure the DSG transmission was serviced at 40k, it's expensive to pay a shop to do it but essential for it to last as long as it should.

Supporting this. High mileage young cars are alright in my book since they're likely just highway miles. DSG service can also be DIYd for around $100 and isn't awful if you're so inclined and it needs it.

All that said, I personally wouldn't drop 18k on that one when a few more grand gets you into a new one most places that want to move inventory. You can probably find better for that price if you've got time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
$18k is too much, that's a $15k-16k car

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah I got my 16 Reflex 6speed coupe with 19k on it for 17. Too much.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So upon arriving at the dealership and finding out the fellow I was supposed to meet wasn't even working (despite being told otherwise), I was interested to find out that the GTI didn't have any of the features listed online. No leather seats, no sunroof, no keyless entry. It was pretty close to stock. In fact, it was a S and a utter and complete waste of my time. I took off work and quadrupled my commute to look at this damned thing. I'm not even angry, just exhausted.

(So naturally the VW place we talked to the other day called and said we get a '16 GTI S with 9.9K miles + certification for the same price while I was fuming on the way home.)

I'm tired.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I drove 30 miles to a Ford dealership and they tried to sell me a ‘16 FiST for 27k. Moral of the story is dealerships suck.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
LOL

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If I had to do it all over again I would pass on the sunroof and leather seats.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I could take or leave either, but keyless entry would be nice to have.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

wolrah posted:

Whee, I'm 99.9% sure my blend door actuator ate poo poo while I was going out to eat tonight. About half way there the HVAC changed modes and suddenly I have about 10 seconds of knocking from the dashboard, and then the same thing when I started the car after dinner.

At least it seems to be a cheap part, though it looks like it'll be worse than the BMW fan speed controller to get to.

What kind of car is it ? This happened to my FiST and I’ve heard of it happening to several others

If so, I have some bad news because the part seems cheap and easy to get to, but it’s located directly behind an air bag.

Actually, I don’t know if that’s bad or not. I’ve never messed with an airbag, but have heard the stories of how dangerous they are , so I never bothered with it

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

wolrah posted:

My FiST is doing the same thing, I'll be taking it to the dealer for repair in the next few weeks. I'm still well within warranty miles and about 4 months left on time, so it's something that needs to happen but not incredibly urgent. It gave me a good pause the first time it happened, around last July/August.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr.Caligari posted:

What kind of car is it ? This happened to my FiST and I’ve heard of it happening to several others

If so, I have some bad news because the part seems cheap and easy to get to, but it’s located directly behind an air bag.

Actually, I don’t know if that’s bad or not. I’ve never messed with an airbag, but have heard the stories of how dangerous they are , so I never bothered with it

Yup, FiST, and yea I know it's a common issue on our cars.

Not sure about the air bag thing, as far as I know it's in the dash sort of behind the radio, the nearest air bag should be the one in the wheel. It didn't do it today when I went to the grocery store but I assume hearing it do it twice means the part is broken already anyways.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just dropped my car off. There's no way I could have made it work to go all the way to Detroit for a week.

The guy at the service department said I'm their 4th RS and all 3 others are getting a new head. The parts are on back order too, so it's going to be there a while.

They gave me a base Fusion Hybrid. :(

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Etrips posted:

If I had to do it all over again I would pass on the sunroof and leather seats.

My previous car had leather seats and I will never go back.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Did you get your JB4 yet?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

There is a new SEL golf we could get, but that’s not going to be as fun. I’ve always heard leather described as “great until it’s a massive pain in the rear end”. Plus it’s hot as hell down here in the summer, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Warbird posted:

There is a new SEL golf we could get, but that’s not going to be as fun. I’ve always heard leather described as “great until it’s a massive pain in the rear end”. Plus it’s hot as hell down here in the summer, so...
I live near Houston and leather really isn't that bad. I still prefer it in my cars, and have black leather in my GTI and it's not a problem.