Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

It was expected that several Olympians who began the tournament playing outside the NHL would make their way to North America sometime after the conclusion of the PyeongChang games.

The dominoes started to fall just hours after Finland was eliminated by Canada in a 1-0 nail-biter on Wednesday, with reports surfacing that Eeli Tolvanen, Nashville’s first-round pick last June, is likely to make his NHL debut this season with the Predators.

According to The Athletic’s Craig Custance, Tolvanen is “fully expected” to be heading to Smashville once his season with Jokerit of the KHL — where the 18-year-old has 34 points in 47 games — is complete.

“We’ll have a contract in place to be able to execute and have him come over here,” Predators assistant GM Paul Fenton told Custance on Wednesday. “That’s the plan. Funnier things have happened. I don’t want to say 100 percent. I never do that in our business. Yes, our plan is to have him.”

Despite being one of the youngest regulars in the KHL and the most junior on his team, Tolvanen has been a force for Helsinki-based Jokerit in his first season of professional hockey — sitting second on the club in goals (17) and points, while posting a plus-12 rating. Before heading home to start this season, the Nummela, Finland product tallied 47 goals and 92 points in 101 games over two seasons with Sioux City of the USHL. He was the tournament’s leading scorer after the preliminary round in PyeongChang (3-3–6).

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-standout-eeli-tolvanen-likely-join-predators-playoff-run-005821425.html

Pretty big pickup, they're so goddamn deep now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

It's Florida, so half credit.

Yeah Florida literally just chooses the oldest guy.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah Florida literally just chooses the oldest guy.

Luongo should be captain!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

that can't be right, JB said there's no interest right now

It would be tons of fun to play poker against Jim Benning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren: WOMEN'S GOLD MEDAL GAME TONIGHT :siren:

20 MINUTES TO PUCK DROP, BE THERE

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nathan Gerbe officially called up to Columbus.

Also, if anybody cares, Mark Letestu is rumored to either Pittsburgh, Columbus, or Toronto. Porty says his family just bought a home in Columbus and plans to live here after retirement.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

iospace posted:

:siren: WOMEN'S GOLD MEDAL GAME TONIGHT :siren:

20 MINUTES TO PUCK DROP, BE THERE

come hurl insults in the thread with us

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Gah.

Existential crisis. Crawford won 1.5 Stanley Cups, but I don't like him, he's overpaid and has a bad face. His face is bad. I hate his face.

But every single loving backup from this era has left to other teams.

Niemi was a great savior but is a total goddamned bust.

Raanta was okay but is kinda fun to watch on the Yotes.

Darling was a sweetheart Cinderella story but has shat the bed with the Canes.

Now I have Forsberg and Glass standing in front of me, and while both look competent neither is making my heart flutter.

I loved Nabby and Kahby during the invisible years. Much as I loved Belfour I wore a Jimmy Waite jersey. I'm sad we couldn't do anything with Hasek. Hackett was serviceable. Leighton and Munro were forgettable. We even had Craig Anderson for fucks sake.

I'm at a loss as to how to either root for or jeer the current Hawks goaltending depth and ability.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bootcha posted:

Gah.

Existential crisis. Crawford won 1.5 Stanley Cups, but I don't like him, he's overpaid and has a bad face. His face is bad. I hate his face.

Now I have Forsberg and Glass standing in front of me, and while both look competent neither is making my heart flutter.

I loved Nabby and Kahby during the invisible years. Much as I loved Belfour I wore a Jimmy Waite jersey. I'm sad we couldn't do anything with Hasek. Hackett was serviceable. Leighton and Munro were forgettable. We even had Craig Anderson for fucks sake.

I'm at a loss as to how to either root for or jeer the current Hawks goaltending depth and ability.

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bootcha posted:

Gah.

My thoughts are with you in these trying times. RIP

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:qq: you guyyyyysssssssss, we've only won three stanley cups this decaaaaaaddddde :qq:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Isn’t Crawford one of the consistently best goalies of the last few years? I thought the whole Crawford is bad it’s just the hawks D that’s good narrative was fake news

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Isn’t Crawford one of the consistently best goalies of the last few years? I thought the whole Crawford is bad it’s just the hawks D that’s good narrative was fake news
Crawford is awesome, that guy is dumb as hell

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's getting to that time so I threw up a Trade Deadline thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850056

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Post reserved for when Bergevin fucks something up so I can scream Fire Bergevin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Yes.
When the hawks were good and dominant after 2013 it turned Ray Emery, Antti Raanta, and Scott Darling into starters, the later two played their way into positions on other teams because the team kept winning while Crawford was hurt. It created a meme in Chicago that Crawford's 6x6 contract was something we could dump because cap hell. This season has proved how instrumental he was to Chicago's success because you'll notice they've gone from bubble team in the central meat-grinder to fallin' for Dahlin since he stopped playing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not NHL, but still relevant:

N:

V: :smugdon:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How do you bite on that obvious a move?

Stars have already offered a contract.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

An "Aww" story about born-again (figuratively) Torts and a kid with cerebral palsy he's been friends with since coaching the NYR:

quote:

In their first meeting, Liam knew Tortorella was serving as an assistant for Team USA at the 2010 Winter Olympics. The coach was impressed with the child’s line of questioning and sent him some Olympic swag. A friendship was born.

Liam endured an agonizing surgery, which required doctors to break his femurs, the biggest bones in the body. Tortorella called him every day in the hospital and three times a week during the rehabilitation process.

“John would check on him to make sure he was doing his therapy,” said Liam’s mom, Deborah.

Jesus Christ. :stonk:

https://theathletic.com/248382/2018/02/21/on-blue-jackets-coach-john-tortorella-an-inspirational-fan-and-the-ties-that-bind/

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Torts has always been a stellar dude away from hockey, from all accounts. Between things like his relationship with Liam (who appeared in the NHL 24/7 around the NYR/PHI winter classic I believe) and all of the work he does to help dogs and dog charities, I'm not mad at him for a second. I was just glad when he wasn't the coach of my favorite hockey team anymore.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
sup hockey goons?

I've been watching the Olympic hockey, which is pretty much my first time watching the sport. I've tried a few dodgy streams before but I have the Olympics in HD and that's made all the difference. It's quickly becoming my second favourite sport (after rugby, which is what I mostly watch.) I'm thinking of picking up the $20 subscription to nhl.tv for the rest of the season. There is a TV station that effects the blackout here but I can't get it with where I live. Even then I doubt I'll be staying up all night to watch many games live, so mostly it'll be a few days later when the replays go up.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with nhl.tv? Also, I have no particular allegiance to any team so that's not going to be the way I pick a team to follow. Vegas has been suggested to me as they're new and therefore less of a bandwagon (not that I know anything about any teams record.) Other than that is there a way of knowing which are the good games to watch? Is there anything someone almost completely new to hockey, from a country where all our winter athletes are Americans with an Irish grandmother should know about this frozen sport?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

As a Caps fan I've always loved Torts. What a character. The water bottle spray game was one of my favorite hockey memories.

Probably just don't ever want him to coach the Caps.

Mrenda posted:

Is there anything I need to be aware of with nhl.tv? Also, I have no particular allegiance to any team so that's not going to be the way I pick a team to follow. Vegas has been suggested to me as they're new and therefore less of a bandwagon (not that I know anything about any teams record.) Other than that is there a way of knowing which are the good games to watch? Is there anything someone almost completely new to hockey, from a country where all our winter athletes are Americans with an Irish grandmother should know about this frozen sport?

The blackout thing is the only big issue, to me. I share an account with 3 other people (3 US one Canada) and we don't have any trouble and get good reliable feeds. If you're not in North America there may be issues I'm not familiar with. If it turns out not to be feasible there are sometimes "resources" that might be an alternative.

As for teams, Vegas is a great team to cheer for right now. I don't know if they will be as exciting next year. The Predators are good and have a lot of interesting players and if I were just jumping in fresh now they are who I'd pick.

Just be sure to steer clear of the Penguins, Flyers, Rangers, and Islanders. You should definitely hate all of them.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 22, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only real catch with NHL.tv/Gamecenter is the blackout rules. Outside North America you'll even get playoffs with it as long as they don't fall under blackouts.

Looks like in Ireland games that are on "Premier Sports (UK) / Setanta 1 & Setanta Ireland" would most likely be blacked out. Otherwise, good to go.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I sure don't like Reddit, but I do like the NHL. I think I will go and play in a variety of streams this afternoon

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mrenda posted:

Is there anything I need to be aware of with nhl.tv?

Nope, it's pretty good and as you're in Europe you likely won't be watching a ton of games live. They put full game replays up within 12-24 hours, so you can catch up on games the next evening fairly easily. It has the occasional streaming issues, but for me here in Toronto its gotten a lot better over the last couple years and I rarely have problems these days.

quote:

Also, I have no particular allegiance to any team so that's not going to be the way I pick a team to follow. Vegas has been suggested to me as they're new and therefore less of a bandwagon (not that I know anything about any teams record.)

Vegas isn't a bad choice as they're a first year expansion team. I will say that they're in the Pacific time zone which is 7 hours back of Ireland. I'd suggest an east coast team which is only 4 hours back (so a 7:00 p.m. game would air at 11:00 p.m. for you instead of 2:00 a.m.)

quote:

Other than that is there a way of knowing which are the good games to watch?

I'd suggest looking at the NHL standings and watching games between two of the teams at the top at first. There are a bunch of classic rivalries in the sport that are appointment viewing (Boston and Montreal; Toronto and Montreal; Edmonton and Calgary; Detroit and Colorado) which tend to be a bit more physical if that's your thing. Games between two original six teams (the NHL's oldest clubs: Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, NY Rangers, Chicago) are always hyped up because of the long histories of each team and can be fun to watch. If you like lots of goals, Tampa Bay, Vegas, the NY Islanders and Winnipeg are the highest scoring teams in the league and loaded with offensive talent.

quote:

Is there anything someone almost completely new to hockey, from a country where all our winter athletes are Americans with an Irish grandmother should know about this frozen sport?

How are you with tracking the puck? That's usually the biggest issue for new hockey fans, and the general advice you'll be given is to watch the player carrying the puck rather than trying to squint for the puck itself all the time. Not seeing the puck every second of the game is normal, and you'll quickly pick up clues from how players react.

If you like video games, I know a lot of people who got into the sport by playing the EA Sports NHL series. The season is nearly over so NHL18 is probably discounted. It has a "teach me to play mode" which should give you the basics and it'll help you learn all about the best teams and players at the moment.

If you can, I suggest going to see a live game at some point. It's a whole other experience and in smaller arenas it makes following the play a lot easier than it does on TV. I don't know where you live, but the Belfast Giants are in the middle of their season and tickets aren't that expensive at Ł16.00 for adults. They're the sole Irish (yes Northern Irish I know) team in the EIHL (Britain's hockey league), so they should have a relatively high level of competition compared to local teams (albeit a mile below the NHL).

Also this:

bewbies posted:

I sure don't like Reddit, but I do like the NHL. I think I will go and play in a variety of streams this afternoon

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bewbies posted:

Yep. This is the way to go.

I pay for Directv now and their MSG feed is loving garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it's only $20 it's worth it not to have your computer potentially turned into a bitcoin miner probably.

And especially if he wants archives.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There’s a Roku app for Hockey Night in Manchester which has horrible recordings of British Hockey.

It is excellent. Like D2/3 Canadian men’s league with checking and lots of fighting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

There’s a Roku app for Hockey Night in Manchester which has horrible recordings of British Hockey.

It is excellent. Like D2/3 Canadian men’s league with checking and lots of fighting.

This sounds rad as hell

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

If it's only $20 it's worth it not to have your computer potentially turned into a bitcoin miner probably.

Archives are good, and $20 for a month and a bit of hockey is worth it for me. The dodginess of streams has put me off them when there's a legitimate and reasonably priced option available.

And thanks for the effort post ThinkTank. I'll check out some of the rivalries and teams you recommended. The station that carries hockey here broadcasts quite a few games because they don't have many other premier sports, but their stations are tied to a broadband package we can't get and a TV provider we'd have to switch to and then pay extra and it's just not worth it. The blackout thing might be an issue, but I'll get over it with replays.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mrenda posted:

The blackout thing might be an issue, but I'll get over it with replays.

my take: it is infuriating, especially in the playoffs

further take: quasi legal streams are of significantly higher quality than NHL-backed ones nowadays

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mrenda posted:

sup hockey goons?

I've been watching the Olympic hockey, which is pretty much my first time watching the sport. I've tried a few dodgy streams before but I have the Olympics in HD and that's made all the difference. It's quickly becoming my second favourite sport (after rugby, which is what I mostly watch.) I'm thinking of picking up the $20 subscription to nhl.tv for the rest of the season. There is a TV station that effects the blackout here but I can't get it with where I live. Even then I doubt I'll be staying up all night to watch many games live, so mostly it'll be a few days later when the replays go up.

Vegas is cool. Check out some Stars games if you get a chance. They're always a fun watch and will usually have a few extended stretches per game where they say "gently caress it, we're not playing defence" and just trade chances with whomever they're playing. Plus lots of young, offensive players, a funny arena staff, a top tier uniform, and the most handsome fans on the forums.

And yes, I don't know what the following three unrelated words have to do with this conversation "stream, nhl, reddit" but I find myself googling them most game nights.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

bewbies posted:

my take: it is infuriating, especially in the playoffs

further take: quasi legal streams are of significantly higher quality than NHL-backed ones nowadays

Are they, though? I always get 1080p on nhl.tv.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

CBJSprague24 posted:

An "Aww" story about born-again (figuratively) Torts and a kid with cerebral palsy he's been friends with since coaching the NYR:

Jesus Christ. :stonk:

https://theathletic.com/248382/2018/02/21/on-blue-jackets-coach-john-tortorella-an-inspirational-fan-and-the-ties-that-bind/

Yeah, I recall them doing a segment on this during whichever 24/7 it was that NYR was involved in. Was it with PHI?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Are they, though? I always get 1080p on nhl.tv.

they use the gamecenter feed and they had the 60 fps/1080p option before gamecenter exposed it on their apps

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm normally on the pay if you can camp, but HS is dead and game centre has consistently been utter poo poo for me every time I've subbed. Plus, gently caress loving Rogers for loving ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not Rogers if he's in Europe.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Shea Weber is out for the year

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

bewbies posted:

This actually it's the other one downthread

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There are archived games with the other thing, I think. Can't comment on the Bitcoin stuff

e: I'm mistaken, see above

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 22, 2018

• Locked thread