Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Do we know what replaces the boreal dwarfes racial trait, since grazes are back in the game? I think we do but I can't find the info anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Accretionist posted:

I've got a dual-wielding cipher who mainly just uses
  • 1st - Whisper of Treason (charm)
  • 2nd - Mind Blades (multi-target slashing damage)
  • 3rd - Puppet Master (charm)

Learn to use Ectopsychic Echo. Best Cipher offensive spell. That poo poo will tear packs apart once you learn how position yourself correctly. It does 20-30 damage per enemy per second. It's crazy. Just line them up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Everyone at least once should make their own or turn Aloth into a machine gun wizard. With just two or so spells, wizard auto-attack becomes the most hilarious thing in the world, especially if you grab the scepter that turns every attack into two smaller attacks. Alternately you go with that one soulbound item that gives attacks a chance to charm enemies, but I prefer the two-shot scepter just because, at that point, I no longer care about disrupting enemies, I just want to gun them all down.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Everyone at least once should make their own or turn Aloth into a machine gun wizard. With just two or so spells, wizard auto-attack becomes the most hilarious thing in the world, especially if you grab the scepter that turns every attack into two smaller attacks. Alternately you go with that one soulbound item that gives attacks a chance to charm enemies, but I prefer the two-shot scepter just because, at that point, I no longer care about disrupting enemies, I just want to gun them all down.

Bonus points if you hit enemies with a combusting wounds first before machine gunning them.

I love me some some Combusting Wounds. Fantastic level 2 spell.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ugh now I want to restart my potd run as a Wizard. I've got my druid using the dominate sceptre. It's ace because it refreshes your animal form during combat.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's the gunner procedure? I use Aloth for a lot but I've never done that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can dual-wield wands and scepters in Deadfire and it is good. Also a good way to kill yourself if you use the scepter modal.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

rope kid posted:

Also a good way to kill yourself

Ok phew

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

the scepter that turns every attack into two smaller attacks.

Which one's that?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Can you see how much damage your pet does in Poe2? It'd be great if I could see that on the character sheet a la personal char damage.

As a huge Ranger dork I've played them a lot in Poe1 and I know the pet does massive damage because I can read the log but it'd be cool to see the actual stats. Not sure any class in the game outdoes a Ranger/pet in terms of single target DPS but I can't see the numbers sadly.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Pets don't seem to do much damage in the beta, I'm afraid.

In other news, I just noticed that Eliminating Blow got nerfed, so I was thinking maybe it was okay for an ability that would use around 25% of a single-class character's resources to apply a tier-2 affliction??? Especially when it would have been hard to use it efficiently anyway.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Entropy238 posted:

You should be able to stomp these parts of the game at level 7. I'd go to WM at 7/8 for a fair challenge if you haven't done it before. Doing heritage hills and cilaban rilag might over-level you and make WM1 too easy, at which point you may want to upscale. I've never played WM1 upscaled before so others here are probably in a better position to comment on it.

Unscaled wm1 at 9 felt decent on hard, not a faceroll but not punishing either.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nephthys posted:

Which one's that?

Golden Gaze, located in Flames That Whisper Cavern in a in a hole with an interactive sequence .

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Golden Gaze, located in Flames That Whisper Cavern in a in a hole with an interactive sequence .

poo poo, I just missed that and saved over it. I couldn't succeed in that sequence no matter what I tried.

:qq:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Node posted:

poo poo, I just missed that and saved over it. I couldn't succeed in that sequence no matter what I tried.

:qq:

Can you go back to where it begins and try a second time? A character with Dexterity 16 can climb up the chute to re-secure the hook.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Can you go back to where it begins and try a second time? A character with Dexterity 16 can climb up the chute to re-secure the hook.

My rogue has 19 dexterity and it kept failing. I can't figure out why. I guess I'll go back.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Node posted:

My rogue has 19 dexterity and it kept failing. I can't figure out why. I guess I'll go back.

Are they an aumaua? Size might be a factor.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!
Last time I tried, you only got one chance at that one without save scumming.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

:stonklol:

I'm level 10 and this has been an amazing lesson in hubris courtesy of the dinky little Skaenites that are level 5 priests or so.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

:stonklol:

I'm level 10 and this has been an amazing lesson in hubris courtesy of the dinky little Skaenites that are level 5 priests or so.

That area can be surprisingly tough due to the numerous enemies and all the traps.

The tight corridors make it perfect for AOE spam though. Looks like you're only running one AOE caster there. Hit them sons of bitches with lightning storms, insect plagues, etc. AOE will ruin their day in those tight spaces.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ginette Reno posted:

That area can be surprisingly tough due to the numerous enemies and all the traps.

The tight corridors make it perfect for AOE spam though. Looks like you're only running one AOE caster there. Hit them sons of bitches with lightning storms, insect plagues, etc. AOE will ruin their day in those tight spaces.

oh this is actually my third POTD playthrough :shobon: Doing it without a priest or wizard (though Hiravias is still bullshit strong, of course). I was just surprised when the ionic projection did a cumulative 800 damage in about 1 second, especially when the enemies were outclassed enough that Pallegina survived the rest of that fight with me thinking she got KO'd and not healing her.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

oh this is actually my third POTD playthrough :shobon: Doing it without a priest or wizard (though Hiravias is still bullshit strong, of course). I was just surprised when the ionic projection did a cumulative 800 damage in about 1 second, especially when the enemies were outclassed enough that Pallegina survived the rest of that fight with me thinking she got KO'd and not healing her.

Yeah Druids are diesel for sure. And with scrolls you can manage without a Priest or Wizard, though I love both and would never go without.

My restartitis already hit and I decided to try a Priest of Eothas instead. I've never mained a Priest before but have done a Ranger so wanted to switch it up. Also I like Sagani and using her is easier if my main isn't a Ranger. And Priests (along with Paladins) are two classes great to make a main char of since they're the only ones that get bonuses for being the main character. Both benefit greatly for choosing the correct dispositions.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Priest of Eothas gets some cool dialogue choices through all content (including DLC) tbh

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/966445724731764736

arghhh I didn't do that quest with the get baby path

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Stealing the baby is like the one out of character thing i did in my playthrough, because i thought it would be funny.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

Priest of Eothas gets some cool dialogue choices through all content (including DLC) tbh

That was my thinking as well. Also Priests are underrated nukers:

In fact once you get Shining Beacon and later Cleansing Flame I'd rank Priest DPS up against any class in the game. Shining Beacon especially is OP as gently caress. No friendly fire, huge aoe damage...it owns.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

frajaq posted:

" I regret not kidnapping that adorable baby" should be the new thread title for the launch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
So how do you survive for ten seconds against the Alpine Dragon on Path of the Damned. He only did 332 damage in one hit against Eder, with Deathblows.

Not to mention his dozen or so friends that can hit you for 90 and cast area affects and oh god this is too much

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

So how do you survive for ten seconds against the Alpine Dragon on Path of the Damned. He only did 332 damage in one hit against Eder, with Deathblows.

Not to mention his dozen or so friends that can hit you for 90 and cast area affects and oh god this is too much

Well first of all be high enough level. I wouldn't advise attempting that fight prior to level 11ish.

Secondarily, there is one important thing to keep in mind during that fight and that is the Alpine Dragon won't summon additional allies until you attack him. So what you can try to do to avoid being overwhelmed is have a fast character kite him around (without hitting him!) while the rest of your group huddles in a corner and buffs/takes out the other adds. Then when you're ready go and engage him and deal with the second wave of adds he summons.

It's easier said than done of course but it's doable with a character with high deflection and potion of fleet foot. You can also throw summons into the mix too to keep him busy but again make sure they dont actually attack him unless you're ready to face an additional group of enemies.

You can also forgo that and just try to straight up take him out. He is iirc not immune to either charm or petrify so those are two great afflictions to hit him with. Landing those does require buffing your accuracy to the gills because he has sky high defenses. But if you can land a Gaze of the Adragan after roiding up Aloth's accuracy you can usually unload on the Dragon and kill it in short order. Or you can have someone charm him and let him kill his own allies which is amusing. Grieving Mother spamming whispers of treason is good for that. Again with both you'll need to ramp up their accuracy via buffs to even hope to land those spells on POTD.

It's unlikely to be easy regardless of knowing how to approach it and may take a few tries to get it right.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

frajaq posted:

I'm so glad I stole adopted that child, as part of my job of murder hoboing Fantasy Child Protective Services.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ginette Reno posted:

Well first of all be high enough level. I wouldn't advise attempting that fight prior to level 11ish.

Secondarily, there is one important thing to keep in mind during that fight and that is the Alpine Dragon won't summon additional allies until you attack him. So what you can try to do to avoid being overwhelmed is have a fast character kite him around (without hitting him!) while the rest of your group huddles in a corner and buffs/takes out the other adds. Then when you're ready go and engage him and deal with the second wave of adds he summons.

It's easier said than done of course but it's doable with a character with high deflection and potion of fleet foot. You can also throw summons into the mix too to keep him busy but again make sure they dont actually attack him unless you're ready to face an additional group of enemies.

You can also forgo that and just try to straight up take him out. He is iirc not immune to either charm or petrify so those are two great afflictions to hit him with. Landing those does require buffing your accuracy to the gills because he has sky high defenses. But if you can land a Gaze of the Adragan after roiding up Aloth's accuracy you can usually unload on the Dragon and kill it in short order. Or you can have someone charm him and let him kill his own allies which is amusing. Grieving Mother spamming whispers of treason is good for that. Again with both you'll need to ramp up their accuracy via buffs to even hope to land those spells on POTD.

It's unlikely to be easy regardless of knowing how to approach it and may take a few tries to get it right.

Thanks. I'll try that. My party right now is Rogue, Eder, Kana, Pallegina, Durance, Hiravias. Who should I drop for Grieving Mother or Aloth? I'm guessing Hiravias since, while he does great area damage, if that hits the dragon, he summons the additional allies.

Also does anyone know if you can't get the vendor to appear from the Deadfire Pack in the middle of a game?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Node posted:

Note that traditional tanking with Eder won't help much, since the Alpine Dragon can target fortitude instead of deflection if it's lower. Rather than trying to take hits, have Eder try to knock the thing on its rear end. In spite of the prone resistance, knockdown is quite good against dragons, since it's accurate and rolls twice if you're dual wielding. Give Eder two accurate weapons, have him use disciplined barrage if he has it, then spam knockdown. If you're keeping your accuracy up with resting bonuses, protection from terror and blind, and devotions for the faithful, Eder could end the fight before it begins.

Node posted:

Thanks. I'll try that. My party right now is Rogue, Eder, Kana, Pallegina, Durance, Hiravias. Who should I drop for Grieving Mother or Aloth? I'm guessing Hiravias since, while he does great area damage, if that hits the dragon, he summons the additional allies.

Depends on how you built your characters. What are Pallegina and Kana doing in your party, for example? I would drop either of them, depending on what level you are and what abilities they have. Hiravias' relentless storm will be really good for locking down all miscellaneous other critters that show up, and you can just have him cast stuff like moonwell until you're ready to unload on the dragon.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 22, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

Also does anyone know if you can't get the vendor to appear from the Deadfire Pack in the middle of a game?

If you're trying the kiting approach, probably Kana. Reason is if you're using the Dragon Thrashed chant, that will hit everyone including the Dragon.

If you just want to straight up brute force the encounter keep Hiravias and Kana and have Kana spam dragon thrashed while Hiravias goes to town with all the AOE you can muster. While that's going on have Eder keep the Dragon busy and your rogue/Pallegina work on killing other monsters. Durance should meanwhile be buffing the ever loving poo poo out of Aloth so that Aloth can get his accuracy way up. Once that's done, have Aloth cast Eldritch Aim for a final boost and then have him cast gaze of the adragan until it hits the dragon. Same applies for if you're using Grieving Mother instead.

Also if you do use Grieving Mother keep in mind if you took Psychic Backlash as a talent that will trigger automatically when the Dragon's fear aura hits which counts as an attack and will cause him to summon another wave of enemies.

Spells you should be focusing on for this encounter:

Prayer Against Fear - to stop Dragon Fear penalty
Devotions of the Faithful - For massive +20 accuracy bonus for the party
Eldritch Aim - Either potions or spell and use it for whoever is gonna try to land spell effects on the Dragon
Crowns for the Faithful: Always cast this, the bonuses are massive

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Node posted:

If you install the DLC he'll be there the next time you go to Anslog's Compass, no matter what point it is in the game

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

2house2fly posted:

If you install the DLC he'll be there the next time you go to Anslog's Compass, no matter what point it is in the game

I had to specifically go to the store page and hit download or something like that on the DLC pack tho

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Charm and Dominate are very effective against the Alpine Dragon as his will save is pretty bad.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Entropy238 posted:

Charm and Dominate are very effective against the Alpine Dragon as his will save is pretty bad.

I got a Concelhaut's Crushing Doom on her once, that was awesome.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Also Cipher's Psychic Backlash can be incredible against dragons.
It's supposed to go off once per encounter and inflict stunned. But instead can go off how many times it feels like and inflicts something that disables and uses the Stunned icon, but is something else because it goes right through Immunity to Stunned.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Raygereio posted:

Also Cipher's Psychic Backlash can be incredible against dragons.
It's supposed to go off once per encounter and inflict stunned. But instead can go off how many times it feels like and inflicts something that disables and uses the Stunned icon, but is something else because it goes right through Immunity to Stunned.

Although on the Alpine Dragon it's annoying because the fight is set up to spawn Shades as soon as it gets damage. Since she also has a Terrify aura, you get hit as soon as the fight starts, then she gets hit back by Psychic Backlash, and all the shades spawn before you get a chance to position your guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
You can also spam some confusion scrolls on the summons to give the dragon something else to aim at for a while.

• Locked thread