Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Zero posted:

Agree. Just the red was okay but I agree it looked too Diablo/Supernatural. This is simple and elegant with a dash of whimsy.

Hope the season doesn't end with the Doctor shoving the soul stone containing the Master into her forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Who could never be Supernatural; Both Sam and Dean have died way more times than the Doctor. :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Doctor Who could never be Supernatural; Both Sam and Dean have died way more times than the Doctor. :v:

Plus the Doctor seems more of a Chicago girl, than Kansas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That logo is absolutely fantastic and I really hope they lean into some kind of 80’s high-science weirdness for the tone. I’m tired of fantasy/fairy tale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

What's wrong with it?

Sorry, I thought he was leaning into a negative stance on it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Gynovore posted:

I'm sorry, but I have to ask, how exactly do you 'quarantine' the gamers? Are they not allowed to leave the room until they make eye contact with someone and talk about sports? Or is the gaming area across a footbridge which only supports 300lbs?

All gaming is packed into a few rooms, and only in one of them are they able to game continuously.

Doctor Zero posted:

Why’s that? We decided to go because of the guest list. Can’t wait to meet Capaldi and Gomez together! :swoon:

As cool as it is to see some of the guests, the "Pay $ to get an autograph, pay $ to get a photo (even with a cell phone)" and the general lack of programming makes me feel bored and taken advantage of. Now, if they were all willing to hang out at the bar, that's something else.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

As cool as it is to see some of the guests, the "Pay $ to get an autograph, pay $ to get a photo (even with a cell phone)" and the general lack of programming makes me feel bored and taken advantage of. Now, if they were all willing to hang out at the bar, that's something else.

You'll at least be able to run into Tom Baker at the bar.

Any bar. Every bar. He is at all of them, simultaneously and continuously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

docbeard posted:

You'll at least be able to run into Tom Baker at the bar.

Any bar. Every bar. He is at all of them, simultaneously and continuously.

He's there right now.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Maera Sior posted:

I understand that but it’s also pretty standard fare for fan cons. I don’t think it’s fair to expect the guests to come spend time and hang out with fans who I’m sure are 90% annoying as gently caress. They do have a coffee with the Doctors session that I’d prefer but it’s sold out. :(

I prefer the pre-sales to how it used to be in the 90s where you pay to queue up in a stupidly long line and have the guest say a quick hi and sign something in 5 seconds. I did both with McGann and at least the photo op gave us a dedicated 5 minutes to chat with him and pose. At his table it was absolutely no cell phone pics until he saw my 8th doctor t-shirt and he flipped out about it and insisted that they let me do it. :)

Having said that I do hope I run into all the Doctors in the bar and can have a drink with them. :cheers:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I need this as a wallpaper for my PC, stat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I need this as a wallpaper for my PC, stat.

Seriously, there is a wider version being used as their Twitter banner but it looks blown up, I really want a good quality high-res widescreen image to throw into my wallpaper rotation.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

I understand that but it’s also pretty standard fare for fan cons. I don’t think it’s fair to expect the guests to come spend time and hang out with fans who I’m sure are 90% annoying as gently caress. They do have a coffee with the Doctors session that I’d prefer but it’s sold out. :(
At media cons, sure. At the cons I go to, guests are willing to shoot the poo poo with people at the hotel bar, or sometimes wander through the halls and crash parties. This includes actors as well as big name writers.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Those loving boots :swoon:

Not empty quoting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maera Sior posted:

At media cons, sure. At the cons I go to, guests are willing to shoot the poo poo with people at the hotel bar, or sometimes wander through the halls and crash parties. This includes actors as well as big name writers.

Yeah, my limited experience of cons are largely the Discworld/British sci-fi ones which are more low key and the guests absolutely spend lots of time in the bar chatting with anyone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm a frequent anime-con goer, and only the toppest of top tier guests have any kind of photo or autograph fees. It was a bit of a sticker shock seeing autographs or photo ops going for $50-$100 at other media cons.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

$60! Get your picture with the guy from firefly! No, not him. The other one. No not him, either.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The reason the autograph fees are so high for the bigger cons is that all the big name guests have guarantees, where the con says "you are guaranteed to make X amount of money through sales and the con will make up the difference if you don't", which is also why they have handlers/ con staff sitting next to them that are really strict about it

So what you do is go by their table on Sunday afternoon after theyve made their $$$ and the handler is gone because some of them will just start handing out free poo poo after that (my wife got Richard Hatch's autograph that way unintentionally)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

The reason the autograph fees are so high for the bigger cons is that all the big name guests have guarantees, where the con says "you are guaranteed to make X amount of money through sales and the con will make up the difference if you don't", which is also why they have handlers/ con staff sitting next to them that are really strict about it

So what you do is go by their table on Sunday afternoon after theyve made their $$$ and the handler is gone because some of them will just start handing out free poo poo after that (my wife got Richard Hatch's autograph that way unintentionally)

It's getting worse because now the cons have to deal with agencies that directly negotiate the appearance fees. So there's basically a middle man now and you're paying those fees as well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's insane. I had no idea any of that was a thing. Writing conferences, the only premium items are lunch with agents and editors, or individual pitch sessions with agents and editors in which they read a portion of your manuscript and give feedback. Sometimes the bar is a cash bar.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Fans are ruining these shows!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So, I listened to "Scherzo."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't worry! It's all downhill from here. There are a few high points (The Natural History of Fear, Faith Stealer, the Last) but it's pretty much a slog through the Divergent Universe arc.

Scherzo for its hosed-up-ness is definitely a solid example of early Big Finish's creativity and why I wish Robert Shearman would get a chance to write some more Doctor Who.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ugh. That one felt really creepy and not in a good way. Like suddenly someone’s vore fetish intruded in my Doctor who.

But it’s pretty well regarded so v :( v

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 22, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Scherzo for its hosed-up-ness is definitely a solid example of early Big Finish's creativity and why I wish Robert Shearman would get a chance to write some more Doctor Who.

He's been offered apparently and just hasn't had a script that he felt was ready :(

If Chibnall is doing the writer's room thing, which I think is an interesting experiment, it might not work for Shearman anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

It's getting worse because now the cons have to deal with agencies that directly negotiate the appearance fees. So there's basically a middle man now and you're paying those fees as well.

I believe Amell set up his own agency to manage his own con appearances (and those of his friends) to cut out the middleman, didn't he? I think it was in that "garbage bags full of twenties" article from a while ago.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

Fans are ruining these shows!

This but unironically.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Don't worry! It's all downhill from here. There are a few high points (The Natural History of Fear, Faith Stealer, the Last) but it's pretty much a slog through the Divergent Universe arc.

Scherzo is in that odd space for me where, if I look at it dispassionately, I can see its quality, but where I did not enjoy listening to it much at all. I can't really say it's bad (though I probably have before) but I don't like it. (Then again, I'm colder on non-Chimes Shearman than most in this thread, I think.)

I think the only Divergent story I really enjoyed was the one where the Doctor got split into three fragments representing an excess of one side of his personality, Enemy Within style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Amell set up his own agency to manage his own con appearances (and those of his friends) to cut out the middleman, didn't he? I think it was in that "garbage bags full of twenties" article from a while ago.

Exactly what I was referencing. There's now a half dozen such agencies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Ugh. That one felt really creepy and not in a good way. Like suddenly someone’s vore fetish intruded in my Doctor who.

But it’s pretty well regarded so v :( v

It's a story I absolutely loved, though I think a large part of what made it work for me is that I listened to the bulk of it while walking home late one night in the rain, and that really put me in the right mood.

Unfortunately if you think THIS story feels like somebody's fetish got shoved into a Doctor Who story, you're REALLY going to hate Creed of the Kromon (which you should, because it is a dogshit story).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Everything Philip Martin writes is weird and fetishy, although apparently Dick Sharples can give him a run for his money, now that I know what we almost got instead of The Krotons.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Unfortunately if you think THIS story feels like somebody's fetish got shoved into a Doctor Who story, you're REALLY going to hate Creed of the Kromon (which you should, because it is a dogshit story).

The only reason this isn't the worst Big Finish story I've ever heard is because I've had the singular misfortune of listening to Nekromantica. I have no idea if that's the correct spelling and I care even less.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I tried to figure out what the hell is wrong with the guy who wrote Nekromanteia and now I'm even more confused. :stare:

"The rear end in a top hat Who Wrote Nekromanteia posted:

I also like comedy. I'm not saying that [Nekrmoanteia] is comedy - it isn't - but it hopefully has a bit of whimsy in it, which I think is typically Doctor Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

The only reason this isn't the worst Big Finish story I've ever heard is because I've had the singular misfortune of listening to Nekromantica. I have no idea if that's the correct spelling and I care even less.

Oh yeah, gently caress that story. gently caress it in the ear. Goddammit I wish I didn't remember it exists now.

Bicyclops posted:

I tried to figure out what the hell is wrong with the guy who wrote Nekromanteia and now I'm even more confused. :stare:

"The rear end in a top hat Who Wrote Nekromanteia posted: posted:

I also like comedy. I'm not saying that [Nekrmoanteia] is comedy - it isn't - but it hopefully has a bit of whimsy in it, which I think is typically Doctor Who.

Jesus Christ. Was this the story where Peter Davison told Big Finish he never wanted the writer to EVER work for them again?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, gently caress that story. gently caress it in the ear. Goddammit I wish I didn't remember it exists now.

Jesus Christ. Was this the story where Peter Davison told Big Finish he never wanted the writer to EVER work for them again?

I've only ever seen that posted in this thread, but it does get mentioned here, and he doesn't seem to have worked for Big Finish (in a writing capacity) since then. He looks like he's some kind of tech guru, so he may have been someone helping them with the sound engineering who walked in with a script one day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I've only ever seen that posted in this thread, but it does get mentioned here, and he doesn't seem to have worked for Big Finish (in a writing capacity) since then. He looks like he's some kind of tech guru, so he may have been someone helping them with the sound engineering who walked in with a script one day.

Austen Atkinson: So last night I was thinking of Nicola Bryant naked, bathing in oi-
Nick Briggs walks into room
Austen Atkinson: Uhhhh.... in the story I wrote about.... uhhh... cannibal witches fighting a war against corporations to protect their vampire God! ....yeah, that'll do.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jerusalem posted:

It's a story I absolutely loved, though I think a large part of what made it work for me is that I listened to the bulk of it while walking home late one night in the rain, and that really put me in the right mood.

To be clear I recognize that it's a well crafted and well acted story. It just gives me a sick feeling in my stomach kind of like the first time I found out about furries.

I'm surprised we're talking about all this and nobody has mentioned THAT story...

(rhymes with Inuit in Smell)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Doctor Zero posted:

(rhymes with Inuit in Smell)

You mean the Plan Nine from Outer Space of Big Finish?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, Minuet isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but it's kind of like watching Wile E. Coyote in a Roadrunner cartoon. It tries so hard to accomplish something ludicrous, for reasons nobody understands, and falls flat on its face, repeatedly, in bizarrely elaborate ways, until you're somehow both laughing at it and rooting for it.

Minuet vs. Creed is like Manos: Hands of Fate with something more overtly disgusting like Sidehackers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Minuet is awful but it's awful in a comedic, "What the gently caress were they even trying to do here? :xd:" kind of way. Creed and Nekro are just sleazy and nasty and gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not defending Nekromanteia -- far from it -- but he's referring to the pocket dimension where everyone plays cricket, right?

(Yes, on top of having cannibal witches, attempted sexual assault, space madness and a plot structure that's literally The Caves of Androzani with different names, Nekromanteia also has a subplot where the Doctor gets sucked into an alternate dimension to watch people play cricket.)

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Minuet is awful but it's awful in a comedic, "What the gently caress were they even trying to do here? :xd:" kind of way. Creed and Nekro are just sleazy and nasty and gross.

One of last September's releases, The Silurian Candidate, gives Minuet In Hell a run for its money. It's Doctor Who does Trump, except he's Australian and the Silurians are secret Russians, or something.

• Locked thread