Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Does it cost about the same to ship & import cars from other countries too? Will the same brokers work with countries beside Japan?

I know a guy in India who may be able to help me find & buy a Mahindra jeep, a CJ-3 descendant with a diesel engine. They're not expensive (I saw some nice examples on an Indian auto site for $2k or so), and this guy's restored his own recently so he could probably arrange to get new suspension and such in before shipping it. Whether or not it's worthwhile will probably come down to how much it costs to get a sorted (good suspension & engine bits) Mahindra imported vs. an equivalently-decent Jeep in the US... but also, a RHD diesel-powered CJ made in the 90s sounds interesting. Plus, a 1993 Mahindra is emissions exempt in NM, unlike a 1993 Jeep.
Just be aware that the build quality is truly awful, and the diesel is not the last word in refinement, or anything else for that matter.

I wouldn't pay any real money for one. Import a Mitsubishi Jeep copy or a coiler Suzuki Jimny if you want a small, different 4x4.

I'm sure if you do import a Mahindra, though, you'll find someone who'll beat down your door to buy it off you, so it might not be a high risk prospect.

Edit: The Kia/Asia Motors Rocsta is another oddity that isnt as bad as the Mahindra either.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Just be aware that the build quality is truly awful, and the diesel is not the last word in refinement, or anything else for that matter.

I wouldn't pay any real money for one. Import a Mitsubishi Jeep copy or a coiler Suzuki Jimny if you want a small, different 4x4.

I'm sure if you do import a Mahindra, though, you'll find someone who'll beat down your door to buy it off you, so it might not be a high risk prospect.

Edit: The Kia/Asia Motors Rocsta is another oddity that isnt as bad as the Mahindra either.

Good to know; I haven't had the opportunity to get up close with a Mahindra yet, I'm hoping I might be able to spend some time poking at one when I'm in Lucknow this weekend. The main reason for looking into Mahindra is because I know people in India who can help me get things arranged on that end.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Good to know; I haven't had the opportunity to get up close with a Mahindra yet, I'm hoping I might be able to spend some time poking at one when I'm in Lucknow this weekend. The main reason for looking into Mahindra is because I know people in India who can help me get things arranged on that end.
They sold them here new. I think about the only things going for them are their simplicity, really, in the US I'd be hunting down an actual CJ project.

By all means have a drive of one, but I think you'll find it very crude, and not in a charming way.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BigPaddy posted:

Super rare and unique I think under $4k that is a steal.

Right but that's what the starting price is, I'm assuming it's going to go $$$$$$$$

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

Right but that's what the starting price is, I'm assuming it's going to go $$$$$$$$

my general rule of thumb is take the asking price a multiply by 1.75 (the zero and low starting price not withstanding). That usually is close to what it sells for.

edit: sorry wrong reply. Also, its getting harder and harder to win bids , lost out on a couple with some people throwing in obscene money on only ok cars. (sorry kaker will update the spreadsheet this weekend)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KakerMix posted:

Got it, formatting on that page is not great and I missed the start and sold for are the same line

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Another import page says those can go for up to a million yen so it's probably not going to go for cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

You gotta spend money to make money bro!

Seriously though, odds of you making a tidy profit off rare JDM cars is pretty high considering the fan boys around here. I would jump on any AE86 in decent condition you run across because you can pretty much double your money once it gets here, have you seen what they are selling for? Crazy talk money.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You gotta spend money to make money bro!

Seriously though, odds of you making a tidy profit off rare JDM cars is pretty high considering the fan boys around here. I would jump on any AE86 in decent condition you run across because you can pretty much double your money once it gets here, have you seen what they are selling for? Crazy talk money.

I still don't know if this enterprise will even work, it's easy to jump into 5k plots for a vehicle and see where that goes. Jumping into 13k is a bit much at this time.

EDIT
There is one here already:

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/04/25/twincharged-homologation-hatch-1989-nissan-march-super-turbo/

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 22, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

!!!

One came up at auction and BOY is it priced right the gently caress out of what I'd be willing to pay for a weird Japanese hothatch.

1070000 yen, also known as 9496 US dollars this guy sold for. About what I expected. :toot:

EDIT
Also starting to learn that USS-brand auction houses are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, there is an AZ-1 up right now that was originally at a non-USS house, now it's listed on a USS one, with a thousand more KMs on it and most assuredly a higher reserve. Sneaky sneaky!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 22, 2018

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The one on BaT isn't too bad if you want something weird and I agree taking a bath on a $5k purchase isn't going to be as ruining as losing out on $13k and flipping cars is always going to be super risky. My personally held belief is that the current inflation in 90s Japanese cars isn't sustainable since even once the US demand has been met there will still be a lot of them and someone is going to be left holding the bag on all those GTRs, Evos, Celicas etc...

However that said I think the following are going to hold their value forever:

R34 GTR (duh they have hardly ever moved from their original retail price in some cases)
Mk4 Supra (even the lovely auto ones are making good money and there is no shortage of 1JZ/2JZ power trains to swap in + oh hey the car from The Fast and the Furious!)
Evo 1 to Evo 6 (the hardcore ones before Mitsi realised they could make some money selling slightly softer ones in larger numbers)
2001 Impreza WRX 2 door (rare and have been sought after for years already)
Honda Integra DC2 (serious drivers love these things and I do to, double wishbone suspension all round and VTEC in a light car unf)

There will be more but they will be quirky things like the March Super Turbo.

Future Winners aka stuff that will be open to import to the US in the 10 years:

Nissan Stagea RS Four (Wagon built on Skyline platform with 4WD and an RB25DET :getin:)
Honda Integra DC5 (not as good as a DC2 but feels more modern on the inside and still handles great)
Nissan S15 Silvia (more modern 200SX and easy to make stupid fast however already holding its value well)

These are the main ones that come to mind but really after the Late 90s pretty much all the cool stuff went away.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Have you noticed Japanese Classics has been stepping on your turf, Kaker? I’ve seen a ton of vans lately, all which seem extremely awesome.

I’d never heard of a Subaru Sambar. Supercharged? I’m sure that would kill in the Pacific Northwest. Their price seems in line with their other van offerings, but obviously it depends on how cheap they got it.

https://instagram.com/p/BfeccyoH2q2/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BigPaddy posted:

Nissan Stagea RS Four (Wagon built on Skyline platform with 4WD and an RB25DET :getin:)

Oh hey I think there's one of those a few miles from me, can't confirm the trim level though. How's it pronounced I always wondered?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Sta ge ar is how I say it but some call it a stag e ar

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A friend of mine has one and there's another that lives nearby that I see occasionally. They're loving cool.

I have to say I do prefer them with an R34 front end though, they look great.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BigPaddy posted:

The one on BaT isn't too bad if you want something weird and I agree taking a bath on a $5k purchase isn't going to be as ruining as losing out on $13k and flipping cars is always going to be super risky. My personally held belief is that the current inflation in 90s Japanese cars isn't sustainable since even once the US demand has been met there will still be a lot of them and someone is going to be left holding the bag on all those GTRs, Evos, Celicas etc...

R34 GTR (duh they have hardly ever moved from their original retail price in some cases)
Mk4 Supra (even the lovely auto ones are making good money and there is no shortage of 1JZ/2JZ power trains to swap in + oh hey the car from The Fast and the Furious!)
Evo 1 to Evo 6 (the hardcore ones before Mitsi realised they could make some money selling slightly softer ones in larger numbers)
Honda Integra DC2 (serious drivers love these things and I do to, double wishbone suspension all round and VTEC in a light car unf)

Honda Integra DC5 (not as good as a DC2 but feels more modern on the inside and still handles great)
Nissan S15 Silvia (more modern 200SX and easy to make stupid fast however already holding its value well)

These are the main ones that come to mind but really after the Late 90s pretty much all the cool stuff went away.

I'd add diesel Land Cruisers and the AZ-1 on there as well for holding their value as it stands right now, and with the addendum that the raw dollar amount might be corrected to something more realistic but stuff will always sell. If the value collapses then the whole thing gets corrected and you just make less money on a sale. It's hard to gauge because the US market is so freakin' huge compared to the supply for everything that it seems like there is always someone to buy whatever you have. The big issue is letting people know you have the thing to sell in the first place. I've still got some time but I desperately want a Stagea as a personal vehicle, wagons rule as all hell.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Have you noticed Japanese Classics has been stepping on your turf, Kaker? I’ve seen a ton of vans lately, all which seem extremely awesome.

I’d never heard of a Subaru Sambar. Supercharged? I’m sure that would kill in the Pacific Northwest. Their price seems in line with their other van offerings, but obviously it depends on how cheap they got it.

On the contrary, I'm stepping on their turf. My original Acty was bought from them which started me looking into other stuff which is why I ended up with 3 kei vans right off the bat :v:
The Fast and Furious crowd is a seemingly easy market to sell to, I just don't care about Skylines and Soarers and all that nearly as much as most people attempting to do this so I tend to go toward other things that seem neglected. You can buy a Skyline anywhere, you know?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BigPaddy posted:

Kei will hold their value best. Your market is huge and not just car people.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Any 4wd kei kills in the northwest, truck van or car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A friend of mine has one and there's another that lives nearby that I see occasionally. They're loving cool.

I have to say I do prefer them with an R34 front end though, they look great.

I always think they seem kind of awkward/stodgey in their styling.

I thought it was "stajj ee aa"

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Does anyone have experience with these auction houses and importing these vehicles to ports on the east coast of the US? I'm wondering how that might affect the transportation cost or if that's even a thing. The cost to have a vehicle trucked all the way across the country from the west coast would probably be a deal-breaker.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

It seems to be about the same if not to much more. I’m bringing in a car to Baltimore hopefully soon.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Riller posted:

Does anyone have experience with these auction houses and importing these vehicles to ports on the east coast of the US? I'm wondering how that might affect the transportation cost or if that's even a thing. The cost to have a vehicle trucked all the way across the country from the west coast would probably be a deal-breaker.

Shipping to Tacoma, WA for a kei truck (4 t 8 in wide, and ~9 ft long) is 800 USD right now. Dunno what east coast is but Kaker is in Florida. The other thing is to take into account what your port charges. For example EB1 in Tacoma charges you 100$ per ton to unload. Also, this probably is not okay to say but every ports customs office is going to be different, from my experience Tacoma's is a little strict and really frowns on informal importing process (read cheaper) but are super willing to except formal imports (read expensive) with no problems from their favorite import broker right down the street.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

savesthedayrocks posted:

They have a lot of loving cars, I wonder where they are all going because i haven't seen any Japanese imports at all around here besides a GTR I saw once a few months ago. I just don't see how there's such a demand for some of these cars, any Skyline that's not a GTR is pretty pedestrian, the amount of non GTR Skylines they have is crazy. I see a bubble bursting here pretty soon.....

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Riller posted:

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

It seems to be about the same if not to much more. I’m bringing in a car to Baltimore hopefully soon.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Shipping to Tacoma, WA for a kei truck (4 t 8 in wide, and ~9 ft long) is 800 USD right now. Dunno what east coast is but Kaker is in Florida. The other thing is to take into account what your port charges. For example EB1 in Tacoma charges you 100$ per ton to unload. Also, this probably is not okay to say but every ports customs office is going to be different, from my experience Tacoma's is a little strict and really frowns on informal importing process (read cheaper) but are super willing to except formal imports (read expensive) with no problems from their favorite import broker right down the street.

Shipping costs (which includes marine insurance) is the same as to Tacoma. I'm on the east coast, in the sense that they are going to pass right by Jacksonville. If it costs Garbageman 800 to ship a truck it's cost me 847 to ship the Hijet and 750 to ship the 83 Acty. Right around the same and probably depends far more on fuel coats at the time, the ship itself and whatever capacity it is currently at.

The thought of ports being different is true though because Garbageman has had far more issues than I have in dealing with the port, and I've had no issues at all with my broker or the port on anything.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Speaking of dealing with the ports. Would it be worth it to deal with a broker for my first time importing a car? Or is not as bad as it seems. I guess it just depends on the port too. I’m not worried about the paper work. Just talking to the right people and making sure everything is in order is what I’m kinda clueless on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Speaking of dealing with the ports. Would it be worth it to deal with a broker for my first time importing a car? Or is not as bad as it seems. I guess it just depends on the port too. I’m not worried about the paper work. Just talking to the right people and making sure everything is in order is what I’m kinda clueless on.

I only work through my broker so I don't have any suggestions on doing it yourself. I think Garbageman tried to do the paperwork himself at first? The problem I personally didn't want to have was loving up and having my car at port for way longer while paying storage fees.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

This is not a straight forward answer.

If your goal is to have a cool car you want to own for a long time: Just use a broker, they are not really that expensive. You get the pleasure of just getting a phone call or email saying you can come pick up your car, hand over some paperwork at the customs office and drive away.

If your goal is to turn a profit on these things it becomes way more complex.

Your first question is , is the value of the car (Customs calculation of value , not your common sense value) less than 2,500$? If it is you can still proceed with doing your own paperwork. If it is greater get a broker.

Second question, call your ports customs office, do they seem pretty relaxed about informal filings? If yes, you may continue. If no, go to broker.

I am currently using a broker, but only until my ACE account gets approved. The forms you should look up are, CBP 7501/HS-7/EPA 3520-1. The one you cannot file yourself is ISF 10+2.

Below is a link of my current costs to use a broker:

Alot of those costs are required anyways, the only couple that are not 175 (their fee), surety bond premium, isf bond premium, and twic escort.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks that’s a huge help. I’m just getting a Cappo for myself. So I’ll probably just pony up the extra for a broker and just have some peace of mind it’s done right.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Thanks that’s a huge help. I’m just getting a Cappo for myself. So I’ll probably just pony up the extra for a broker and just have some peace of mind it’s done right.
Pay attention for rust. Hopefully a Japanese one would be ok, but they really do rot if given half a chance.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Your costs to import will probably be closer to the Daihatsu, the trucks is so high because "truck"

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Pay attention for rust. Hopefully a Japanese one would be ok, but they really do rot if given half a chance.

The guys at JCD have been fantastic at keeping a look out for rust for me. I've seen the horror of a cappo with rotted out floors. It haunts me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

The guys at JCD have been fantastic at keeping a look out for rust for me. I've seen the horror of a cappo with rotted out floors. It haunts me.
Yeah, they're great little cars, but oh lord, the tinworm.

Incidentally, if you need spares, check the UK as well as Japan, we might be cheaper for some things.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Oh yeah I've been researching parts like crazy. Joined up with SCORE in the UK got a factory parts catalog and service manual. I'll have to check out UK sites for parts. I did find out its got the same front brake set up as the Geo Metro/Swift we got over here so that was a nice surprise.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

I found pictures of the van that was on craigslist that got me all started

It being left hand drive but looking like a Daihatsu means it has to be a non-Japanese export but it's quite difficult finding information.

lmao look what I found, again:

Since it's left-hand drive and has some sort of speed limiter I wonder what it was for, Army base use? Also wonder if it's just some sort of physical plate that prevents the transmission from going into a higher gear since it should easily be capable of 50+ mph.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

savesthedayrocks posted:

They actually sold the Subaru Sambar new in the US! :eng101:

...In the 60s.

There was a goon who was working on one as a project iirc? That thread's long since probably fallen into the archives though

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

lmao look what I found, again:

Since it's left-hand drive and has some sort of speed limiter I wonder what it was for, Army base use? Also wonder if it's just some sort of physical plate that prevents the transmission from going into a higher gear since it should easily be capable of 50+ mph.

Someone brought that van in as farm equipment. It gets you around the 25yr law. It cant become unfarm equipment. Most state laws match federal on farm equipment, speed limiter of 40, restrictions on what roads you can drive on, and usually emissions devices need to be installed.

There are a bunch of hacks who import kei trucks as farm equipment and try to sell them to people as able to be registered in Oregon.

Also farm equipment is flat 2.5% I believe (even on trucks)

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

They actually sold the Subaru Sambar new in the US! :eng101:

...In the 60s.

There was a goon who was working on one as a project iirc? That thread's long since probably fallen into the archives though

Argh, I don’t need this but I am wanting one bad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's a dude that owns a green one who's slammed the poo poo out of it. It's a toy car in size :3:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

moller posted:

Sorry to highjack this thread just a little, but when I was a kid my parents had an 84 or 86 Toyota LE Van.

(Not my family's van but close enough)

Sunroof, moonroof, ice maker, removable seats, engine under the driver's seat.

It was an absolute beast and when I found out that they got rid of it because their snooty HOA balked I was gutted. I'm having a hard time finding a tremendous amount of info on these on the internet but I kinda really want one. How would I go about finding one and would it be a terrible idea to do so? I foggily remember it being 4wd, did they even export the 4wd model?

Edit: Wikipedia has told me it's some version of the LiteAce/TownAce R20/R30

You never responded in the thread again but no matter L@@K

These are both 2WD versions, 5 speed manual gasoline vans, both rocking that ~**~SKYLITE~**~ roof option. I don't expect either of these to go past 1500 bucks at auction, if even past $1200.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Those are awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you seen any camper vans at all?