Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:siren: Are you looking for Season 5 of Australian Survivor featuring Russell Hantz? :siren:

In the spirit of reusing old crap, I present to you the same old OP stuff.

If it hasn't aired in an episode, don't spoil it in this thread.

If you get a better title sometime in the run, post it!

Survivor airs Wednesdays on CBS! Check your local listings.

Have too much money? Smilies.

• :probst:

• :blindside:

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel used to keep the Ponderosa videos and bonus scenes but I guess they now have those on the CBS official website? I don't know. Just search for "Ponderosa [jury member]" and you'll find someone else uploaded it so you didn't have to figure that out.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

This Season's Cast

“The jury doesn’t reward whoever plays the best game. It determines who played the best game.”

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pony: Jacob
Poison: Wendell

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Pony: Wendell
Poison: Domenick

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Pony: James
Poison: Knock off Ozzy

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Pony: Kellyn

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pony: Michael/Hot Sauce
Poison: Morgan/Ketchup

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Pony: Brendan? I guess, he's the oldest guy but even then he's only 6 years older than me. I think I need a drink.
Poison: Domenick. Chances of owning a MAGA hat is about 80%

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
41 is pretty young for the oldest player.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Woof this cast looks pretty bad. :( It doesn't even look like there's a Crazy One, maybe Kellyn? And lmao "social media strategist" being a real thing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What about them?

quote:

Given the nature of the season — pitting new players against not only each other, but specters of Survivor past as well — Probst says it was crucial to make sure the cast was filled with as many genuine Survivor fans as humanly possible.

"Massively important," he says about the decision to cast fans. "It was really the only criteria, that they had to be super fans, or they have a really good knowledge of the game. They don't have to be super fans. But that was fun. It's who I prefer. I prefer people who know how to play Survivor. I'm not one of the people who thinks it's interesting to have somebody who doesn't get the game. It does makes for interesting gameplay, so sometimes we'll do that, but personally, I would rather play with players every season. That would be my choice."

Another thing to note about the new season's cast: It's a young group. Out of the 20 castaways, two are in their early 40s, four are in their 30s, and the rest are in their 20s — with the exception of the youngest member of the cast, real estate agent and model Michael Yerger, who is 18 years old. It is among the youngest-skewing casts in recent Survivor memory, if not the youngest cast. But it's not by design, according to Probst.

"If you took a whiteboard and wrote the list of priorities down from top to bottom, No. 1 and No. 1A is that they have to be compelling storytellers and they have to be super fans," he says. "Underneath that, it would be age, occupation, geography, demographic stuff. I say this often out here: It's one thing to want the world, and it's another to have to make the decisions about what is actually here. These are our 20 best people and they're younger than normal, and they're a more attractive cast than normal. Okay! That part wasn't by design. I think fans know that, otherwise we would just cast models and bartenders all of the time. But I like this group a lot. I don't think the audience is going to be disappointed with our choices of storytellers."

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zesty posted:

What about them?

I edited, but they all just look... kinda boring.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hot sauce, boomerang, skittles. sure.

Zesty posted:

Survivor airs on Wednesday, September 28th on CBS! Check your local listings.
:raise:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao are those real quotes? Did they choose those quotes!? Can I have, like, 6 Poisons?

whut

edit: oh lmbo

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 22, 2018

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pony: Gonzales

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Why doesn't Desiree know how to wear her swimsuit

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

precision posted:

Woof this cast looks pretty bad. :( It doesn't even look like there's a Crazy One, maybe Kellyn? And lmao "social media strategist" being a real thing.
Chris is going to be totally crazy I'd guess, and Domenick will be the new crazy strategy and idol guy.

I like Wendell, Brendan, and (yes) Donathan on first blush.
Poison might be Domenick or Angela

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 23, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

aidoru posted:

Why doesn't Desiree know how to wear her swimsuit

Looks like she is taking it to the next level by putting both straps over the same shoulder so they don't provide the proper support for the boobs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fast Luck posted:

Chris is going to be totally crazy I'd guess, and Domenick will be the new crazy strategy and idol guy.

I like Wendell, Brendan, and (yes) Donathan on first blush.
Poison might be Domenick.

I think Wendell looks potentially very cool.

I think also maybe I'm biased since I never pay attention to pre-release stuff, for all I know the PR bios always make everyone seem boring. I doubt anyone could have guessed for example how good Fishback and Jeremy (and their bromance) were gonna be Or how crazy Cass was in her first season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pinterest Mom posted:

:raise:

Oops. Check your local listings.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 22, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

precision posted:

I think Wendell looks potentially very cool.

I think also maybe I'm biased since I never pay attention to pre-release stuff, for all I know the PR bios always make everyone seem boring. I doubt anyone could have guessed for example how good Fishback and Jeremy (and their bromance) were gonna be Or how crazy Cass was in her first season.
If anyone's into the show enough to listen to podcasts, RHAP has the "First One Out" series where Josh Wigler interviewed all the players pregame. You can actually hear them talking and interacting with another person so you know a little bit what to expect from them, and they give some first impressions of each other too that they picked up from seeing them around Ponderosa pre-game. There's I think 4 interviews per episode and also a bunch of Wigler waxing poetic about the game that I listened to maybe once before skipping past.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm really undecided on watching this season live, given the shitshows that were Gamechangers and the last season. I mean, at least Gamechangers had a good winner that got there without insane amounts of production help. The winner of the last season should have a permanent asterisk next to his name. That final four "advantage"...it's going to be in this season probably, too, and that's HORSESHIT. It's Jeff's blatant attempt to get people like last season's winner the win, at the expense of more strategic players that were more social and strategic.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Zesty posted:

41 is pretty young for the oldest player.

Survivor 37: Wisdom of the Elders. Youngest player is over 50.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spatula City posted:

The winner of the last season should have a permanent asterisk next to his name.

Nah.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spatula City posted:

I'm really undecided on watching this season live, given the shitshows that were Gamechangers and the last season. I mean, at least Gamechangers had a good winner that got there without insane amounts of production help. The winner of the last season should have a permanent asterisk next to his name. That final four "advantage"...it's going to be in this season probably, too, and that's HORSESHIT. It's Jeff's blatant attempt to get people like last season's winner the win, at the expense of more strategic players that were more social and strategic.
lmao the producers did not make changes during the show to ruin your life

Also, you are right that firebuilding will be in the f4 but Jeff has already said that the players will know that from the start

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

precision posted:

And lmao "social media strategist" being a real thing.

Oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

I dunno about a pony but Chris sounds like a butt

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pony: Jacob

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Finally saw the last season (35). Plenty of giffable moments but I didn't make any good ones. I'll be sure to make one one per episode this time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Desiree's swimsuit confuses me.

James' pecs frighten me.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spatula City posted:

Ben's last idol being buried right at the boat that he allegedly liked to rest on everyday definitely is questionable.

Anyway, they're being told in advance this time about the bad f4 twist, at least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

Ben's last idol being buried right at the boat that he allegedly liked to rest on everyday definitely is questionable.

I mean, I agree that they should avoid the appearance of impropriety, and we certainly don't know the timing of everything because it's edited, obviously.

After thinking about it since it aired, I don't even care if the producers did reward him specifically since he was busting rear end and the others were sitting on their duffs - future players will be encouraged to stop loving off and play the game, take more risks, and generally be better TV

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pony: Bradley
Poison: Chris

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah,

Pony: Michael
Poison: Bradley

Like I don't know if I can actually think of any under 21-year olds that have been good at/positive for the game but I'm gonna take a chance here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh yeah,

Pony: Michael
Poison: Bradley

Like I don't know if I can actually think of any under 21-year olds that have been good at/positive for the game but I'm gonna take a chance here.

It's just over but Spencer only turned 21 a month before Cagayan

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Michael seems surprisingly mature for an 18-year-old. And I don't mean in the Will Wahl way, which is like, yeah this is obviously an 18-year-old kid but he's smart and better behaved than a lot of adults. I mean more like you'd have no idea this guy is 18, and he's also already living the life of an adult.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Uhh :stare: I hate that the 18 year old is the most attractive person that's ever been on this show.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

This whole cast is hot as gently caress. Hopefully some of them have brains.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Rarity posted:

It's just over but Spencer only turned 21 a month before Cagayan

J'Tia > Spencer

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm really hoping that the two Stephenies and Laurel end up on the same tribe, because nobody can vote for Stephenie Johnson without being very express in who they're voting for.

I want all three of them to survive deep just to see what Probst is gonna do when he has to differentiate between them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm the 18 year old real estate agent living in Los Angeles California,

(his insta lists him as a model, ofc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mactors Mactors Mactors. I’m wondering if they recruited more than they’re letting on.

• Locked thread