Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well folks, it's late February which means the days are getting longer, heart shaped chocolate boxes are on clearance and NHL general managers are hard at work coming up with the latest excuse as to why they didn't get any deals done. That's right, it's NHL TRADE DEADLINE TIME!

NHL teams have to complete any and all trades* by 3:00 p.m. EST on Monday, February 26, 2018. Ties will be loosened, phones will be checked, rumblings will occur! Join us for all the thrills**, spills and Phils!

*technically not all trades
**thrills not a guarantee

Who's Buying/Who's Selling?

Sellers: As with every year in hockey, too many teams still think they're "in it" right now thanks to people thinking that being .500 is still significant 13 years after the shootout was introduced, so not not many teams are outright sellers. However, your usual suspects of Vancouver, Edmonton (they're back baby), Arizona, Buffalo and Ottawa are all far enough out that they can't really delude themselves into thinking they have a chance. The New York Rangers held a press conference saying they were jettisoning their core into the cold vacuum of space a couple weeks ago so I guess they're selling too. The Montreal Canadiens should be sellers as well, but their phone lines have been jammed for the past few weeks by folks calling up the stadium and screaming "FIRE BERGEVIN" down the receiver so they won't get anything done.

Buyers: The excuse du jour is that teams don't want to trade picks and prospects for rentals for some reason this year, so probably not many but Pittsburgh, Boston, Nashville, Winnipeg, San Jose, and inexplicably Las Vegas are all poised to comfortably make the playoffs and have varying amounts of pressure to go deep this year. Washington is on top of the East, but they've gone all in on rentals a bunch of times in the past and it hasn't worked so you figure they'll be more cautious this year.

So Who's Actually for Sale?

Erik Karlsson - D - OTT The absolute biggest fish available and (if moved) the most significant player traded at the deadline in a decade or more. He's the best defenceman in the league by a fair margin, but Ottawa are terrible and run by a penniless charlatan man who just happens to like living in Barbados. The latest rumour is that the Sens want to dump Bobby Ryan and his giant contract with Karlsson, thus inexplicably damaging the return on the most valuable asset they've ever had. Odds are he ain't going anywhere quite yet.

Rick Nash - LW - NYR A once dominant sniper, he's aged into an effective two way winger these days. He's seriously overpaid, but his contract comes off the books at the end of the year so he's a true rental.

Evander Kane - LW - BUF A wildly inconsistent sniper, he can most often be found picking his sodden clothes out of shower stalls and quarreling with teammates. He's an all round terrible human so I have no idea why anyone would pay actual assets for him but here we are.

Ryan McDonagh - D - NYR The current Rangers captain and a steady, modern defensive defenceman. He'll fetch a pretty penny if he goes anywhere, but a deal for him is more likely to take place in the summer

Max Domi - LW - ARI A rough and tumble winger who had a good rookie year but has faded since. He's still fairly young which is pretty much all he has going for him.

Others: Thomas Vanek (VAN), Patrick Maroon (EDM), Michael Grabner (NYR), Jack Johnson (CBJ), Mike Green (DET)

TSN Trade Bait List

Can I Watch this on TV?

Yeah sure, if you want. Sportsnet, the NHL Network and TSN all have a special of some sort. They usually start around 9:00 a.m., but nothing happens until 15 minutes after the deadline so don't bother watching until after noon.

ESPN3 is airing tradecentre this year, and it will be on ESPN2 from 2-4PM EST.

Who should I pay attention to?

Bob McKenzie - @TSNBobMcKenzie
Pierre LeBrun - @PierreVLeBrun
Renaud Lavoie - @renlavoietva
Nick Kypreos - @RealKyper
Elliotte Friedman - @FriedgeHNIC

Jim Benning?

Yup, still there.

:siren::siren: MODNOTE :siren::siren: GDT rules are in effect. This means that drunkposting is permissible. In fact, it might even be recommended.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rumored asks/possible returns:

Grabner: Original ask was a 1st, but more recently it has been reported as a 2nd + something else.

Nash: Rumored ask is a 1st + player/prospect + maybe something else - there's enough demand for him that they should get the asking price.

McDonagh: Being offered with a year left on his contract and no pressure to trade him right now, McD is being used to find out who teams are willing to part with, and to try to pry one of those close-to-untouchables away, like Sergachev, Heinen, or Nylander.

Desharnais: Rumors speak of a 5th rounder...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Columbus- likely in that "buyer, but also selling stuff" mode. The next two games (@PHI, CHI) will be telling. Both conceivably should be winnable.

In-season acquisitions to this point- Jussi Jokinen (waivers), Nathan Gerbe (UFA), Jeff Zatkoff (trade), Taylor Chorney (waivers)

Incoming Mail: CBJ are said to be in on Derick Brassard (Friedman says the asking price may be too high), Artem Anisimov (NMC), and Mark Letestu, who are...all centers and former Jackets, huh, that's fun. TSN says they could be in the Rick Nash Sweepstakes, but I don't see that happening unless it's a bargain. Larry Brooks says they might be after Ryan McDonagh, too.

Outbox: Jack Johnson/JMFJ/:10bux: requested a trade which has nothing to do with him not liking Columbus/Torts, but rather setting himself up for his next contract because of that one time his parents decided to reward themselves for their son being a millionaire and left him with less than $50,000 in assets and a $246,000 "allowance" on a $5M contract because of settlements related to predatory loans they took out. Apparently, somebody's offering a late 1st, so that'd have to be somebody like Tampa/Boston/Washington (all rumored). CBJ asking price is apparently that first or a couple of picks, but nothing less than a single 2nd.

Matt Calvert (useful bottom six forward who can play in most situations) and Boone Jenner (one-time 30 goal scorer; that time is not now) could also be available. (Please, Jarmo, trade Ryan Murray before he gets hurt again.)

Jarmo Kekalainen's Mystery Box: Jarmo has a penchant for "where the hell did that come from?" trades in his time here which, on the surface, make you kind of want to service him out of appreciation...and most of them have worked. The aforementioned Brassard+Derek Dorsett+John Moore+pick for Marian Gaborik, RJ Umberger for Scott Hartnell, the aforementioned Anisimov+stuff for Brandon Saad, the aforementioned Saad+Anton Forsberg+pick for Artemi Panarin+Tyler Motte+pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Jarmo Special at all.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 22, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pittsburgh - We want a center so we can three peat. Brassard is the target, but if not him then probably some scrub lord like Letestu or Plekanec.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Boone Jenner could also be available.

What happened to Boone Jenner? He was a player I kinda liked a few years ago (although I'm always wary of guys who get way more goals than assists), but he seems to have just fallen off the table. Is he just lost in the shuffle in Columbus or what that 30 goal season a fluke?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Sens are going to keep Karlsson, win the draft lottery and become the Edmonton Oilers but just with D mans.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The Sens are going to keep Karlsson, win the draft lottery and become the Edmonton Oilers but just with D mans.

Dahlin and Karlsson would win any team a cup

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

This except they’ll lose Karlsson for magic beans and lose the draft lottery (they’ll win it next year when they don’t have a pick).

They will be just as bad as Edmonton though.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I want a weird longshot deal where an upcoming team or bubble team that’s not quite a top tier contender makes a play for EK. Maybe you get EK for a push this year while knowing you get another playoffs and a full year to convince him to stay. I know he has to waive his NTC, which is the big wrinkle, but it might be the only way that Ottawa gets the package they’re looking for because the top teams might not have the prospect assets to give up and won’t want to lose a roster player for the upcoming run.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

i am the bird posted:

I want a weird longshot deal where an upcoming team or bubble team that’s not quite a top tier contender makes a play for EK. Maybe you get EK for a push this year while knowing you get another playoffs and a full year to convince him to stay. I know he has to waive his NTC, which is the big wrinkle, but it might be the only way that Ottawa gets the package they’re looking for because the top teams might not have the prospect assets to give up and won’t want to lose a roster player for the upcoming run.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jarmo Kekalainen's Mystery Box: Jarmo has a penchant for "where the hell did that come from?" trades in his time here which, on the surface, make you kind of want to service him out of appreciation...and most of them have worked. The aforementioned Brassard+Derek Dorsett+John Moore+pick for Marian Gaborik, RJ Umberger for Scott Hartnell, the aforementioned Anisimov+stuff for Brandon Saad, the aforementioned Saad+Anton Forsberg+pick for Artemi Panarin+Tyler Motte+pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Jarmo Special at all.

:unsmigghh:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I also want to see a Jarmo Special. TRADES TRADES TRADES

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The fact that the Sens are supposedly forcing any team that wants Karlsson to have to take Ryan too is one of the most Melnyk loving things I've ever heard.

That's a move so cheap and without any focus on on-ice success that it would make Bob Nutting proud.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

That’d be a dope defense. I’d have to pull my CBJ jersey out of the closet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

The fact that the Sens are supposedly forcing any team that wants Karlsson to have to take Ryan too is one of the most Melnyk loving things I've ever heard.

That's a move so cheap and without any focus on on-ice success that it would make Bob Nutting proud.

Honestly if you have an exit plan for Ryan (package him with a pick or take back some salary and a short contract or cover him with itching powder and put him on LTIR or something) and the cap space, he’s still a decent middle 6 winger. Karlsson is good enough to be worth it. Their combined salary right now isn’t that much more than Kalrssons will be in 2 years anyway.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Honestly if you have an exit plan for Ryan (package him with a pick or take back some salary and a short contract or cover him with itching powder and put him on LTIR or something) and the cap space, he’s still a decent middle 6 winger. Karlsson is good enough to be worth it. Their combined salary right now isn’t that much more than Kalrssons will be in 2 years anyway.

It just seems like the type of demand that will torpedo a lot of potential deals. A team like Tampa who would probably love EK isn't going to take Ryan back. It's sabotaging the value of EK solely to save Melnyk a few bucks. It's humiliating for Sens fans too that have to watch the best player in franchise history walk and maybe not get the best value they could for him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Their combined salary right now isn’t that much more than Kalrssons will be in 2 years anyway.

Any team making a play for Karlsson has to think they'll be able to sign him long term, so that extra $7.25M of cap space wasted on Ryan's busted rear end is poison in any trade.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

That’d be a dope defense. I’d have to pull my CBJ jersey out of the closet.

Karlsson-McDonagh
Jones-Werenski
Savard-Kukan or Nutsack or somebody like that.

Jarmo's gonna do the reverse of what they thought would work in 2015-16 in that "we're cool with our D, our forwards will score all the goals and Bob will stop all the goals".

e-

ThinkTank posted:

What happened to Boone Jenner? He was a player I kinda liked a few years ago (although I'm always wary of guys who get way more goals than assists), but he seems to have just fallen off the table. Is he just lost in the shuffle in Columbus or what that 30 goal season a fluke?

I think everybody thought the 30 goal season was a fluke, but that he'd be good for 15-20 on average. He's just sort of disappeared this year; maybe not playing poorly, but just sort of there.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 22, 2018

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Now, more than ever, you can't try to hide aging vets on your third line like you used to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Any team making a play for Karlsson has to think they'll be able to sign him long term, so that extra $7.25M of cap space wasted on Ryan's busted rear end is killer.

Yeah, they need an exit plan on Ryan and it will drop the value down. But if I save a first this year when I buy Karlsson and Ryan, and have to give it away next year instead to get rid of Ryan, I take that in a heartbeat.

Bad contracts are moveable. That’s been proven time and time again. You have a year to figure out how to get rid of Ryan. It lowers what Ottawa gets, but it shouldn’t tank the deal for most teams.

Honestly Kalrssons contract demands are probably a bigger deal. You can move Ryan to get rid of that cap hit, but if EK wants 12 million, you can’t do anything about that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Honestly Kalrssons contract demands are probably a bigger deal. You can move Ryan to get rid of that cap hit, but if EK wants 12 million, you can’t do anything about that.

Karlsson is worth that, why wouldn't you pay him? A team competing for the cup can't have $7M of dead weight on their roster. A team like Ottawa can, and the only reason they're trying to move Ryan at the same time (and cratering Karlsson's value as a result) is because Melnyk is cheap as hell. I'd be incredibly upset with that mere suggestion if I were a Sens fan. Any Karlsson trade should begin a serious rebuild for the team around a A1 level prospect. If including Ryan lowers the return even 1%, then it should be a non-starter for the team. The Sens will get to trade a player like Karlsson once. Watching him go for 70 cents on the dollar because the owner is too cheap to cover a poor expense (of his own doing) is just a horrible slap in the face of anyone who supports the team in any way.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah but what if the Sens retain on Ryanaahhahahahahahahahaha

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

There is effectively no point in following the Senators until Melnyk sells the team. His only goal is to spend as little money as possible. That team is dead in the water with him as owner.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

His salary for the next four years is actually higher than the cap hit. He's also not injured, so that's $30m in real cash that you'd have to pay him over those four years, no help from insurance or a backdiving contract

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Karlsson is worth that, why wouldn't you pay him? A team competing for the cup can't have $7M of dead weight on their roster. A team like Ottawa can, and the only reason they're trying to move Ryan at the same time (and cratering Karlsson's value as a result) is because Melnyk is cheap as hell. I'd be incredibly upset with that mere suggestion if I were a Sens fan. Any Karlsson trade should begin a serious rebuild for the team around a A1 level prospect. If including Ryan lowers the return even 1%, then it should be a non-starter for the team. The Sens will get to trade a player like Karlsson once. Watching him go for 70 cents on the dollar because the owner is too cheap to cover a poor expense (of his own doing) is just a horrible slap in the face of anyone who supports the team in any way.

It’s hard to manage the cap when you’ve got that much going to a single player. Especially if you’re a good team with other players who also need to get paid. Look at Toronto for example - if they got Karlsson in two years they need to pay him, Matthews, Mariner, and Nylander. That is a tough ask given every team has little overpayments elsewhere on the roster.

And yeah I think it’s horrible for Ottawa. Im just saying I think it’s fine for whoever gets Karlsson. Ryan is overpaid by a lot but he’s an upgrade on most teams’ 5th best winger.

If we get 70 cents on the dollar I’ll be thrilled. I’m expecting like 5 cents. Stars don’t return value.

And I could see Ottawa retaining some money on Ryan. 1 million is less than 7 million. They did on Phaneuf.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I could see the Capitals making a move for a winger, though I'd still bet they stand pat or only make a minor move.

The ideal scenario is what Capitals bloggers have optimistically mentioned: that with the acquisitions of Kempny and Jerebek they now have 8 defensemen on the roster, including 5 left-handed defensemen, so perhaps MacLellan is working to get rid of Orpik somehow and then having room to get a winger in return.

I doubt this will happen because who in their right minds would take on Orpik, but man that would be such a huge addition by subtraction. Trotz loves Orpik and would never bench him despite how bad he is, so the only hope is get rid of Orpik completely so he doesn't have that option.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Melnyk is trying so hard to save money but trading Karlsson is going to keep so many people from supporting the team until he sells it

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Nashville will probably do something for a top 6 winger. David Poile is all-in on this roster and I'm sure sees their peak window as this year and next year and basically the whole roster is already locked in for 2018-19. Mike Fisher is coming out of retirement but is probably waiting to sign until Monday to give Nashville contract limit flexibility at the deadline. Also Poile has said they are planning on bringing KHL/Olympic stud prospect Eeli Tolvanen over after the KHL season ends. They have like $13m in cap space so can probably add anyone they want.

Stuff they can give up:
- They have most of their picks for the next 3 drafts except for the 2018 2nd and 2019 3rd. Expect the 2018 first to get moved.
- Dante Fabbro: the 2016 17th overall. D man for BU with 26 points in 30 games. Seems like he is likely being dangled as a high-value prospect.
- Pontus Aberg: Has skill but hasn't shown a ton at the NHL level, though hasn't gotten that much of a chance. Good record in the AHL.
- Mikka Salomaki: Seems to be kind of a disposable 4th liner but had one good AHL season, someone might want to take a chance on him.
- Emil Pettersson: Older brother of Elias, the Canucks prospect, who seems to be way better. Emil is leading the Admirals in points though.

That's probably it for interesting assets. I think the likely big pieces will be picks, Fabbro, and maybe Aberg.

Rumored Targets:
Rick Nash - There was a bunch of talk about this a few weeks ago but he would cost a lot and I think I saw Travis Yost (does he have contacts?) saying he heard it wasn't happening.
Tomas Tatar - There was some talk about this from Friedman and Dreger this week.
edit: I just saw some stuff about Poile talking to Ottawa about Karlsson, which is hilarious.

Untouchables:
Probably everyone on the NHL roster not mentioned above unless something crazy happens. Also probably Tolvanen.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 22, 2018

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks are desperate for defensive prospects. Does Sven Baertschi fit the top six winger bill? He's a second liner, but a pretty consistent threat offensively that tends to mesh well with whoever he's playing with. He's also decently reliable as a checker and an RFA at the end of the season.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks are desperate for defensive prospects. Does Sven Baertschi fit the top six winger bill? He's a second liner, but a pretty consistent threat offensively that tends to mesh well with whoever he's playing with. He's also decently reliable as a checker and an RFA at the end of the season.

I would not be opposed to Nashville adding him but I don't think he would return Fabbro. I think that would give Nashville the most Swiss players ever on a roster though!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/966729322307489792

Pls be nice to my hobbit son.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/966726338127183873

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 22, 2018

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coyotes

stuff they can give up:
anything not nailed down.

brad richardson
nick cousins
jordan martinook
richard panik
zac rinaldo
freddie hamilton
domi??? i wouldn't trade him but big canada media is pushing this angle

none of these guys are on NTCs

luke schenn
kevin connauton
jason demers
niklas hjalmarsson (probably not though, but sad to say this might be their best tradable player)
goligoski ??? (has drawn even less rumors than hjalmarsson but is older and puts up the points)

those last 3 have NMC/NTCs and there's been no news about asking them for their lists

targets

other team's bad contracts
prospects
scoring right wingers
#1 center (again...)

untouchables

keller, perlini, dvorak, oel, chychrun, anyone in the ahl under 23

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
grabner’s going to get traded then score five goals the rest of the season

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Too much heart to trade. Trade everyone else and make Zucc captain.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers already got their goalie

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I hope if the Preds trade Fabbro that they get more than a rental for him. He's not worth moving for that. Hoffman or Domi would work (or Zucc).

Anyway the Devils - Are probably one of the only teams that could easily take the hypothetical Karlsson contract AND the Ryan contract without loving their Cap, but I don't expect Shero to make that big of a wave and he's on record saying he likes their prospect depth, which would certainly be demolished in a trade like that.

I think they'll probably end up adding a middle six forward if anything, and won't move their first round pick or McLeod/Zacha. They've got Gibbons and MoJo coming back soon (and Schneider), so a lot of the reinforcements will be internal.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 22, 2018

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Bergevin is probably gonna sell low on Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Plekanec.

Comedy scenario: he's gonna trade Mete too because why not get rid of alllll your good defencemen beside loving Shea Weber?

What I think is gonna happen by the deadline: Nothing because Bergevin is incapable of negotiating and is a coward or Bergevin is gonna get ripped the hell off again because he has a bad sense of asset evaluation.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Erik Karlsson's potential availability is overshadowing the real attainable steal on the Sens, Mike Hoffman. wonder what the asking price is on him since the org always seems a little anti-Hoff.

so I guess I'll talk about the dumb team I only half-care about anymore, the Florida Panthers. 7 points back of the second wildcard (but with 3 games in hand!!! so it's more like 4 points back), they are looking to buy at the deadline. they have a hair over 7 million in available space to play with. they would like to get rid of the clinically deceased Radim Vrbata. I would like them to get rid of about 7 dudes. Jonathan Marchesseault and Reilly Smith would be super duper cool to have for a playoff push instead of Vrbata and Jamie McGinn. why does the pain never stop. anyway folks, here's the targets that seem to be legitimate for the awful stupid organization that values a guy like Michael fuckin Haley on the 4th line. god nevermind i don't want to think about this team anymore. they're going to trade for Patrick Maroon and Jack Johnson and embarrass themselves, happy deadline Cats fans!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I hope if the Preds trade Fabbro that they get more than a rental for him. He's not worth moving for that. Hoffman or Domi would work (or Zucc).

Yeah I'm a little iffy on moving him since I think they're down to like maybe 3 decent prospects and he's the only D one and also Poile has never made a good addition at the deadline.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rangers just called Vinny Leterri back up so it seems real likely a trade is gonna go down soon, probs Grabs or Nash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Detroit will trade Luke Glendening to Toronto for Mike Babcock’s personal savings account and then they will quit and Holland will say “We like our team” and “I’m not going to make a trade if the value isn’t there.”

In all seriousness, pretty much everyone is available except Larkin and Mantha, although there are certainly a bunch of dudes who are “available” but impossible to trade with their godawful 40 year contracts. Green is the big get, clearly, and might be the best defenseman available at the deadline if the McDonagh and Karlsson rumors prove to be false. That said, Holland and his media mouthpieces have already been preparing Detroit fans for keeping Green by repeatedly talking about how much the dude loves being here and how Holland won’t ‘make a move to make a move.’

Dudes likely to be moved:
Mike Green
Luke Glendening (see: Babcock’s crush)
Xavier Ouellet (if there’s a buyer)

Dudes that could be moved if the price is right for Holland:
Tomas Tatar
Gustav Nyquist
Andreas Athanasiou (which would be dumb as hell but it’s out there as real)

Dudes that are like, the perfect definition of deadline deals, but won’t be moved because of their dumbshit contracts:
Justin Abdelkader
Darren Helm

My predictions:
Green to Tampa after Karlsson/McDonagh fall through
Glendening to Toronto

Although I could also see Green + Glendening to Toronto, because Babcock will jizz his pants over Glendening and a right-handed D.

The end.

• Locked thread