Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Lumpen posted:

Hello old friends.
This game doesn't look like anything to me...
Gimme a spot.
I don't talk in twilight.

ive heard about you you invented lists! this will be exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I haven't played SA mafia in about a year but I have played a lot of one night ultimate werewolf recently and feel confident in my ability to lie through my teeth.

Sign me up

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah ok. And since it’s you, dbd, I’ll even post

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

HiipFire posted:

i will be posting yes

Whats up, Hiip? Long time no see

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Lumpen posted:

Hello old friends.
This game doesn't look like anything to me...
Gimme a spot.
I don't talk in twilight.

Hi Lumpen, how goes it?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I'm very excited to see so many oldtimers in this game.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm sheriff Woody. Howdy howdy howdy

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Mr. F! posted:

I'm very excited to see so many oldtimers in this game.

gently caress, we're oldtimers now?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Mr. F! posted:

Whats up, Hiip? Long time no see

I’m doing good my man, I’ve just impulsively decided to play a game of mafia so here we are

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
5 or potentially 4 (still waiting to hear from snail) spots left, would like to fill this by Thurs or Fri.

Also yeah some of us are loving ancient in this community now I guess.. gross...

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
In, with the caveat that I won't be around Friday.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Mafia’s been making me real mad lately but I want to find a way back to not being mad at it, and I like this player list a lot. So I’m gonna try again, and I’m gonna try really hard to play this game entirely differently and more relaxed than I usually do.

Let’s do it, cause I also need to finish Westworld Season 1!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

This game is full of straight gangsters.

and lumpen.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidthulhu posted:

Mafia’s been making me real mad lately but I want to find a way back to not being mad at it, and I like this player list a lot. So I’m gonna try again, and I’m gonna try really hard to play this game entirely differently and more relaxed than I usually do.

Let’s do it, cause I also need to finish Westworld Season 1!

This is a scum post.

##vote Quid

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I will tentatively say I'm in, with the caveat that I've played exactly one goon mafia game before. I wasn't hugely active in that one, partially because I wasn't instinctively aware of just how much posting people expect, but in principle I have plenty of free-ish time that I can use.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Atomic Soda posted:

ive heard about you you invented lists! this will be exciting.

Ask him about the scum victory in LumpenList mafia, a game he created to prove that LumpenListing was the best form of mafia scum hunting.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3269770

merk posted:

How scum would use the list system to their advantage:
  • Lists force players to put forth information that they may not have a strong opinion about :

The list system requires that players comment on every single player in the game, thus resulting in opinions made by players that are not solid in formation and could be skewed to push forth a scum agenda. For example, the fact that I gave no opinion on Crane has been cited against me in relation to where I placed Five on my list. Although I don't remember who did this nor am I say that person is scum, that is an example of a stretched argument by citing something that I believed and something that I just put out there because it was a requirement of the game.

If you look at other player's lists, you can find additional examples.

• Lists allow scum to bus without actually having to bus:

This is probably my worst argument, but I find it to be a good scum hunting tool today in as far as drawing suspicion on WeLandedOnTheMoon!. Scum can put their scum buddies somewhere on the list so when a flip ends up happening the scum can cite their lists as a defense. That is, Five flipped scum; now WeLandedOnTheMoon! is able to say "hey look, I put Five as #2 on my list! I thought he was scum too guys!" Yet, Moon never really pushed a Five lynch nor did he actually vote Five. The only evidence in his favor is the list position.

• Lists make it look like you're giving information when you're really not:

I'm an advocate that scum have to hide in plain sight by putting forth opinions that are false and contrived. That is, scum must put forth opinions to look like they are pushing a town agenda. This system requires it... and when falsely formed scum opinions are mixed with town opinions that town actually don't believe (see point 1), then it's easier for scum to hide.
There are other ways to use this list system to scum's advantage, but I hope you see these three quick points and can think of a few more yourself.

merk fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 22, 2018

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
i dont make lumpenlists

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Dancer posted:

I will tentatively say I'm in, with the caveat that I've played exactly one goon mafia game before. I wasn't hugely active in that one, partially because I wasn't instinctively aware of just how much posting people expect, but in principle I have plenty of free-ish time that I can use.

Welcome, I'm sure you'll do great! :D

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

Welcome, I'm sure you'll do great! :D

I see jokephase has started already.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Dancer posted:

Turbo this scum D1 imo

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Dancer posted:

Jokephase never ends in oldtimers games.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm going to pretend to be a cowboy :downs:

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
Medieval World always seemed like more fun imo

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I think there would be a not insignificant amount of people who want to feel bad-rear end and be cowboys and kill stuff, but who would be grossed out by medieval stuff.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Dancer posted:

I think there would be a not insignificant amount of people who want to feel bad-rear end and be cowboys and kill stuff, but who would be grossed out by medieval stuff.

Explain the popularity of Medieval Times

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tolly Totes posted:

Explain the popularity of Medieval Times

There isn't an olfactory record of hiatory.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

I'll sign up for this, assuming you haven't gotten some secret spoilers for the next season!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dancer posted:

I played kingdom come. Bring on the medieval

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Please convert my replacement request to a sign up.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Awesome, game is officially full!

Most of the roles will go out over the course of tonight/overnight and I anticipate the start of the game will begin late afternoon/early evening (east coast) Tomorrow (Friday). MMT is the only one who said she can't post on Friday, but she'll have a good 3-ish days after so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Please convert my replacement request to a sign up.

Luckily for you I've planned for a 20-22 player set up so having you do that will leave the final player count at 21~

Until then, I'll leave you with a song from the WW soundtrack I was listening to while creating the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4sgPJvgev8

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Convert mine to just spectator; sorry!

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
I missed the signups because I bought an avatar so playing with me wouldn't be annoying.
:negative:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im just gonna say i probably will not be very active this weekend

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Lando131 posted:

I missed the signups because I bought an avatar so playing with me wouldn't be annoying.
:negative:

Well we do have 21, and I did say I had a setup planned max for 22. Since I'm still working on flavor and role PMs I can easily tweak the setup to that if you want in, homie.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
I'll take it if it doesn't skew the setup too hard. :buddy:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

flerp posted:

Yeah weekend starts are always lovely but thats how the cookie crumbles with signups sometimes. It's always a bit lighter on the weekends in general, all I ask is if/when you get the time on busier days just try to get some content in whenever you get the chance and everything should be A-okay, as long as you can contribute actively after. I'm only a stickler for lurking when it's constant throughout the entire game and is actively ruining poo poo and not pre-announced.

Lando131 posted:

I'll take it if it doesn't skew the setup too hard. :buddy:

:treemike:

You're in!

All right, expect PM's to be handed out throughout the night. If anybody doesn't have Plat and has not left me with an email to send them their role, do that now or forever hold your peace (and get replaced).

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

flerp posted:

You got me killed in a game you weren't playing.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
If my pm doesn't include a smile face I will be sad

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

You got me killed in a game you weren't playing.

ill get you killed in ones i play in too :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

flerp posted:

ill get you killed in ones i play in too :twisted:

no

• Locked thread