Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

Torts has always been a stellar dude away from hockey, from all accounts. Between things like his relationship with Liam (who appeared in the NHL 24/7 around the NYR/PHI winter classic I believe) and all of the work he does to help dogs and dog charities, I'm not mad at him for a second. I was just glad when he wasn't the coach of my favorite hockey team anymore.

honestly all the quotes from him since taking the CBJ (and maybe more importantly, getting shithoused in the world cup) make me think reformed torts isn't just entertaining and a decent guy, but also seems like he wouldn't be a bad coach. i haven't watched enough CBJ to really know, but his soundbytes at least make him seem like he's embraced skillful play and a more carrot than stick approach as opposed to grinding and shot blocking and being a hardass just for the sake of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Aphrodite posted:

It's not Rogers if he's in Europe.

I was just signing my post.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thufir posted:

Shea Weber is out for the year

:laffo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aphrodite posted:

How do you bite on that obvious a move?

Stars have already offered a contract.

It doesn't show the bit where she fakes the wrist shot right before she slides it to the left.

Russia's goalie fell for it too.

e:
https://twitter.com/SportsQuotient/status/966572425835139079
Shows it better.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 22, 2018

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Thufir posted:

Meanwhile, PK Subban is 5th in points and 1st in goals among all defensemen.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Thufir posted:

Cool

Good

Sure why not

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I admit I'm among the few who originally thought the Weber for Subban trade was a good trade for both teams. I also thought Orpik was good. Goes to show how dumb I am.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Habibi posted:

I loved that trade. It was a great trade. Subban :love:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Slappy Pappy posted:

I admit I'm among the few who originally thought the Weber for Subban trade was a good trade for both teams. I also thought Orpik was good. Goes to show how dumb I am.

I will forever view it as if the Packers traded Aaron Rodgers for Russell Wilson in terms of age of the players. Both teams get good players out of it, but Rodgers' time in the sport is rapidly closing compared to Wilson's.

Funny enough, Weber has more points per game this year than last, but he's only played 26 games this year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

honestly all the quotes from him since taking the CBJ (and maybe more importantly, getting shithoused in the world cup) make me think reformed torts isn't just entertaining and a decent guy, but also seems like he wouldn't be a bad coach. i haven't watched enough CBJ to really know, but his soundbytes at least make him seem like he's embraced skillful play and a more carrot than stick approach as opposed to grinding and shot blocking and being a hardass just for the sake of it

Grinding Torts was born out of necessity in the days when he took over a team which featured Donald Brashear, Jody Shelley, Brandon Prust, Aaron Voros, Brian Boyle before he was good, and top six forward Sean Avery.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Zodijackylite posted:

Grinding Torts was born out of necessity in the days when he took over a team which featured Donald Brashear, Jody Shelley, Brandon Prust, Aaron Voros, Brian Boyle before he was good, and top six forward Sean Avery.

Trigger Warning: 2009-2011 New York Rangers

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
How has Marc Bergevin not been lynched by irate Habs' fans fired yet?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Wait, the habs lost a defender for the season, and juuuust traded a defenseman for picks? :laffo:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Slappy Pappy posted:

You weren't really so wrong. Orpik was much better last year. Maybe even verging on good. His CF% was 51.5!

It's 42.9 this year.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wonderllama posted:

Wait, the habs lost a defender for the season, and juuuust traded a defenseman for picks? :laffo:

After trading away Beaulieu and Sergachev, and losing Emelin in the expansion draft over the summer (though I doubt anyone's crying over that last one).

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

You weren't really so wrong. Orpik was much better last year. Maybe even verging on good. His CF% was 51.5!

It's 42.9 this year.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Soul-crushing

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

bergevin has a smelly butt and likes to smell he own butt

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Mrenda posted:

sup hockey goons?

I've been watching the Olympic hockey, which is pretty much my first time watching the sport. I've tried a few dodgy streams before but I have the Olympics in HD and that's made all the difference. It's quickly becoming my second favourite sport (after rugby, which is what I mostly watch.) I'm thinking of picking up the $20 subscription to nhl.tv for the rest of the season. There is a TV station that effects the blackout here but I can't get it with where I live. Even then I doubt I'll be staying up all night to watch many games live, so mostly it'll be a few days later when the replays go up.

Is there anything I need to be aware of with nhl.tv? Also, I have no particular allegiance to any team so that's not going to be the way I pick a team to follow. Vegas has been suggested to me as they're new and therefore less of a bandwagon (not that I know anything about any teams record.) Other than that is there a way of knowing which are the good games to watch? Is there anything someone almost completely new to hockey, from a country where all our winter athletes are Americans with an Irish grandmother should know about this frozen sport?

I only watch through NHL.tv, and have been using it for years through a Roku and my phone. I love having the options for either the Home or Away broadcasts, and for the playoffs I always prefer the CBC broadcast instead of NBCSN. And only some European countries have blackouts. It's entirely up to what games are broadcast locally. For example the UK typically has 1 game blacked out every night, meanwhile Italy obviously has no local broadcast and shows every game on NHL.tv. There are multiple simple ways to get around blackouts by the way.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Thufir posted:

code:
Dr. Paul Martineau, the team's orthopedic surgeon, said the team's medical group will now focus on ensuring that Weber has the best treatment moving forward.

The length of his recovery is not yet known, but Martineau said Weber is expected to make a full recovery in time for training camp next season.
He's going to miss the first half of next season, I am willing to put money on this.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bewbies posted:

my take: it is infuriating, especially in the playoffs

further take: quasi legal streams are of significantly higher quality than NHL-backed ones nowadays

This infuriates me. Why does my 'friend' get better quality reddit stream than I do on my paid-up NHL stream?. It's supposedly the same feed?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mrenda posted:

sup hockey goons?

Also, I have no particular allegiance to any team so that's not going to be the way I pick a team to follow. ?

Nashville, my dude

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Thufir posted:

Another year done, 8 more to go

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This infuriates me. Why does my 'friend' get better quality reddit stream than I do on my paid-up NHL stream?. It's supposedly the same feed?

The 1080p/60 feed is only available on some devices and/or versions of the apps for some reason. The Reddit guys just directly stream that and don't care what device you're using.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Another year done, 8 more to go

Ooff, and the next few years are really when you start to see some heinous stuff happening when it comes to the recapture hit.

That is easily one of the worst trades of all time if for no other reason than the threat of that contract loving them (and there are plenty of other reasons)

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

ImplicitAssembler posted:

NHL is where the music industry used to be, and where movies and TVs are now. The pirate alternatives are better and more convenient than legal options. RIP hockeystreams

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/JapersRink/status/966751331741511680

Yeah, here it comes.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The defence is ruined, Carey is shook, and wingers are being played at centre.

I can't wait to see what Bergevin fucks up next.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I just watched Boston v Edmonton. Thanks for the hockey advice, cold goons.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Habibi posted:

One underappreciated piece of the PK fiasco is how Montreal snubbed Subban for the Foundation Player Award after he made an unprecedented donation the children's hospital. They instead nominated Pacioretty, who was perfectly willing to go along with such a petty act. But now that his offense has mysteriously dried up, he too is going to be unceremoniously dumped from the team.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
TRADES
:siren:
Panthers get Frankie Vatrano from Bruins for a 3rd.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

grack posted:

How has Marc Bergevin not been lynched by irate Habs' fans fired yet?

There is a non negligible amount of "fans" who bought the "Subban isn't a culture fit" excuse, and the "defense will be better than last year" bullshit too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

bewbies posted:

I sure don't like Reddit, but I do like the NHL. I think I will go and play in a variety of streams this afternoon

Better yet, I heard if you don't like Reddit and like the NHL, you really want to underscore the games.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Jehde posted:

Better yet, I heard if you don't like Reddit and like the NHL, you really want to underscore the games.

this is actually the better option

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I haven't watched a single Montreal game since 2018 started and I am entirely okay with that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/966753748478578688

Well, there goes that first to flip to somebody else for a forward.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/966753748478578688

Well, there goes that first to flip to somebody else for a forward.

the nhl doesn't make any loving sense anymore

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aye Doc posted:

the nhl doesn't make any loving sense anymore

I wonder sometimes if Vegas' success with their misfit crew has scared NHL gm's into second-guessing their evaluation of players they ought to trade

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 22, 2018

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Oh, and a blanket reminder that DTMTS is still fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

JawKnee posted:

I wonder sometimes if Vegas' success with their misfit crew has scared NHL gm's into second-guessing their evaluation of players they ought to trade

JMFJ apparently had a 7 year, $22M ($3.14M AAV) offer on the table last summer. If they move him, they have to be careful trading any other D to avoid getting too shallow at that position (or pick up a rental at the deadline like Quincey last year).

Him re-signing wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He's best placed on the second pair: he doesn't seem to have as much pressure to perform put on himself and isn't as apt to do stupid things like go play Jack Johnson Sportgame (which, ironically enough, is encouraged under Torts' system, though Jones and Werenski are much more capable of jumping in the rush and contributing than he is).

• Locked thread