Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

if you want usable unix on the desktop you really only have one choice

mac osx

truth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Linux with kvm + gpu passthrough for MacOS :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If I wanted bloatware for an operating system I'd use Windows.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
The new MacBook Pros are the dumbest things. The keyboards are terrible and only having USB-C ports is aggravating as all hell. I tried it and went straight back to win10.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

IDK my arch + kde setup works great for me, and doesn't really require much janitoring other than running pacman -Syu every so often. Mac OS has given me worse breakage on updates (admittedly this is usually the fault of app developers) and Windows is way slower (especially at boot). Plus, after some configuration, I think KDE is just as aesthetically pleasing and arguably more functional than either OS X or windows.

I wouldn't recommend it for my mom, but for me it is very needs suiting.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
hopefully no one is recommending desktop linux to your mom

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
kde is many things but aesthetically pleasing isn't one of them

gnome looks pretty but probably isn't as useful as kde

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

kde is many things but aesthetically pleasing isn't one of them

gnome looks pretty but probably isn't as useful as kde

i am satisfied if each kde release merely strives for less ugly

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gnome 3 is actually decent but would be so much better if all the ui elements weren't huge

pram
Jun 10, 2001
for all those linux tablets

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gazpacho posted:

the other day I wanted to run tomcat on port 80, knowing that you should never give the cat root privileges. I know how to proxy it behind apache but that's kind of clumsy, I shouldn't have to use two http servers to serve one site

It's mainly because tomcat isn't a good server for static files and HTTP/2 is good. Tomcat's docs are straight up:

quote:

HTTP/2 connectors use non-blocking I/O, only utilising a container thread from the thread pool when there is data to read and write. However, because the Servlet API is fundamentally blocking, each HTTP/2 stream requires a dedicated container thread for the duration of that stream.
One thread per request, what can go wrong?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
tomcat's been on port 8080 long before HTTP/2 was around, because the developers know that it isn't desirable to automatically grant root privs to every servlet in a container

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

It's mainly because tomcat isn't a good server for static files

tomcat serves static content faster than apache

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

pram posted:

for all those linux tablets

RIP nokia

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wtf tomcat is like made to be proxied u dunce

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's you, you're the xzibit joke itt

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrMoo posted:

It's mainly because tomcat isn't a good server

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tomcat serves static content faster than apache
People still use apache?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hopefully no one is recommending desktop linux to your mom

Lol my dad has actually recommended it for her, but I think it's a bad idea in her case. She's pretty computer literate, but I don't think she has used a command line since the 90s and that's still occasionally necessary on desktop Linux (although IMO that's getting a lot better). More importantly she needs Microsoft Publisher for her current job. Right now she uses Mac OS and (understandably) complains that Publisher doesn't quite work right, and I imagine whatever Publisher knock-off that Libre Office has to offer would be even worse.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the dude that made overwatch work in wine takes over wine-staging, nice!

https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2018-February/123080.html

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and kde is very aesthetically pleasing, but people can't be found alive saying anything remotely positive in this subforum

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the 'your operating system is positively outstanding sir' subforum certainly lost its way somewhere over the years

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

a shame, really

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the 'your operating system is positively outstanding sir' subforum certainly lost its way somewhere over the years

lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

'your operating system is positively outstanding sir'

mods,

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:eyepop:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

pram posted:

you might be working on a dumpster fire if nginx/varnish/haproxy/etc arent somewhere in your stack

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

that is the normal configuration, but it is not because tomcat is bad at serving static content. it is ridiculously fast at that task.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

It's mainly because tomcat isn't a good server for static files and HTTP/2 is good. Tomcat's docs are straight up:

One thread per request, what can go wrong?

one request per thread is totally normal and fine and sane. tomcat is extremely good at serving static content. The reason you proxy tomcat is mostly for load balancing purposes or if you have static content being hosted by a separate system that you are combining with tomcat.

There are design reasons you might not want to deploy static content with tomcat, but there are not technical reasons to avoid it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Helicity posted:

you might be working on a dumpster fire if nginx/varnish/haproxy/etc arent somewhere in your stack
lol folks im just setting up a quick dev utility server with a couple JSPs, I know some folks pride themselves on gold plating atf but it doesn't serve my current purpose

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that is the normal configuration, but it is not because tomcat is bad at serving static content. it is ridiculously fast at that task.

this is strange to me because i specifically remember setting up a connection over some custom protocol that was designed to allow tomcat to proxy requests for static content through httpd. the tomcat docs even recommended this configuration.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 22, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your mom should probably be using chomeos

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is strange to me because i specifically remember setting up a connection over some custom protocol that was designed to allow tomcat to proxy requests for static content through httpd. the tomcat docs even recommended this configuration.

It's probably stuff with Sendfile support. It appears modern Tomcat has two connectors which support fast file transfer, an APR connector which presumably tells HTTPD to send the file on Tomcat's behalf, and a NIO connector which underneath uses sendfile to reduce memory copies between the filesystem and the network stack.

Shaggar posted:

one request per thread is totally normal and fine and sane.

Only in a HTTP 1.1 world, there are detailed scenarios by team SPDY that an asynchronous design resolves. Most obvious is the artificial head of line blocking with cached content behind non-cached content.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

lol folks im just setting up a quick dev utility server with a couple JSPs

ok but why tho

you have a specific problem you want solved, why do you think jsps are the tool that will do it

if you want a java web application then make it free standing with an old timey "public static void main(String[] args) {" at the beginning and embed jetty into it. "servlet containers" don't solve any problems, they just reimplement a lovely operating system on top of your existing perfectly good one.

i've already quoted a post describing how to pass a socket on a privileged port from systemd to embedded jetty within a non-privileged process. as a bonus you can even do a zero-downtime redeploy and restart with this mechanism in place.

putting a reverse proxy in front of your web application has all sorts of benefits. chiefly the ability to run more than one application in a single url namespace. but they'll also handle ssl termination for you (you don't want to deal with java's weird crappy ssl stack and proprietary certificate file formats), write request logs, serve static content.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the most important thing is to make sure that your webapp does not fail to reimplement everything imaginable, it is a matter of gentlemanly understanding among engineers that we mustn't permit web dev, whether server or client-side, to go the way of other arenas of development of the past, where useful long-standing abstractions, platforms and libraries were established such that suddenly not every person who tried to copy-paste some code off of the web would make 6.5 figgies. ideally your main function should not start jetty directly, start with your own page templating code, and have that code launch random pieces of jetty as the pages get built, to ensure a proper level of apparent sophistication

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
u wanna apply to do my job after i quit?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
buddy i'm trying to answer your question about how to do your job why you trying to sass me lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
JSPs + Tomcat are, like PHP + Apache, handy for hacking up a quick page with computations inside, that can be deployed just by dumping a file somewhere. That is what I require in my current task. not some jetty service that depends on a grab-bag of frameworks to make up what web containers already provide, and has to be lovingly configured before it will work.

i don't need zero-downtime, or multiple applications on the server, or SSL and I don't know why you're assuming that I would

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Gazpacho posted:

i don't need zero-downtime, or multiple applications on the server, or SSL and I don't know why you're assuming that I would

youre saying you want to run tomcat on port 80 and the answer is that http proxies are good and can do that, and you get a shitload of other benefits that you may or may not need at the moment. throwing nginx in front of something in 2018 isnt remotely as inflammatory as init or distro discussions - its just something most web developers do regardless of stack

counterpoint if its just a lovely little admin app that doesnt deserve much thought, leave it on 8080 and dont think about it not being on port 80 :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
corp. firewall

i mean gee it's as if by being here where the app will be used i have some asymmetric knowledge not available to the internet at large