Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

It's really funny how I saw that guys post and just scrolled by and wasn't even gonna answer and you're already mad. Get help please

Spend a few months not losing your poo poo at my every post and I'll believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
On a different topic, did anyone else catch Wallace referring to Richard as "The King"? I know that Kyle refers to him as The King, and I've always found that super weird, but hearing Wallace refer to him as The King made me stop and ask if Richard actually wants to be called The King to his face. If that's true, if Richard Petty actually goes by "The King" in his daily life it makes me wonder just how obnoxious he must be. I mean, the man is a legend, and I hope he's an all around decent guy (though there are red flags concerning Tim Richmond, kneeling for the anthem, to name two) but man, if you tell people to call you "The King" that's something else.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SpitztheGreat posted:

I know a few months ago we all go into it about Danica, but I think it's worth bringing up that when she got into that wreck yesterday my first thought was "please don't be hurt." Yea, it wasn't a particularly bad crash, but it would have been a terribly poetic ending to her career. Reading/hearing her interviews this week has just furthered our understanding of her interest in brand building, something that was very unlikely to be helped by one more race. It was a cash grab from someone that can't possibly need the money she got from finishing 35th. There was no upside to it yesterday, clearly the passion is gone, she's financially secure, and she doesn't want to tie her brands to her racing history- so what's there to gain? I really, REALLY, wish that she would sit out Indy since we've seen a lot more career/life ending accidents there than in NASCAR in recent years.

The most poetic ending would’ve been Almirola winning in her old car as she DNFs

And I wanted that to happen so bad

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

WindyMan posted:

Eliminate Xfinity, make Cup a 70-car national touring series with C/B/A Feature races.

Let's fuckin' go.

ARCA with the NT1 spec engine on Friday, top 5 transfer to the Xfinity race on Saturday, top 5 from there transfer to the Cup race on Sunday.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I also thought of the 10 winning in Danica's swan song and that would've been the best subplot they wouldn't have brought up.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

If we're going to have the Xfinity series basically mirror the Cup series, and have the rules packages as close as they are, why not get all crazy and turn Cup/Xfinity into an A/B tour, with the top 5 Xfinity teams from Saturday* getting a set of tires and spots 37-41 in Sunday's race?

*unless you field a Cup driver already qualified into Sunday's race

Alternately, you keep the Buschwacker rides eligible and, when they advance, they must run an under-contract development driver in the car.

Failure to comply (or something like if they don't run Top 20) means you can't run Buschwackers when you go back to NXS. :getin:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Make it so that if you finish the Xfinity race off the lead lap, you start the Cup race that many laps down.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

On a different topic, did anyone else catch Wallace referring to Richard as "The King"? I know that Kyle refers to him as The King, and I've always found that super weird, but hearing Wallace refer to him as The King made me stop and ask if Richard actually wants to be called The King to his face. If that's true, if Richard Petty actually goes by "The King" in his daily life it makes me wonder just how obnoxious he must be. I mean, the man is a legend, and I hope he's an all around decent guy (though there are red flags concerning Tim Richmond, kneeling for the anthem, to name two) but man, if you tell people to call you "The King" that's something else.

It's either that or the entire garage just respects him that much, I guess.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I guess it's a fine line between a term of endearment and smug self satisfaction. Just as long as he isn't going around telling people that he will only answer to "The King" then I feel alot better about things.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/danielmcfadin/status/965641597844148224

Mother of God.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

SpitztheGreat posted:

What are you gonna call him, Richard?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

CBJSprague24 posted:

The 36 chartered cars are the only ones entered for Atlanta. Harvick and Mikey got their wish.

One has to wonder if there would be races with fewer cars, if not for the charter system.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My body is ready.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

:getin: right meow!

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 20, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If a cup driver doesn't finish in the top 10 of the Xfinity race they get scratched from the cup race.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
eliminate the wretched, pathetic xfinity series

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

eliminate the wretched, pathetic xfinity series

But... but where will names be made?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

kidcoelacanth posted:

Trucks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kidcoelacanth posted:

bring it back to the early-mid 2000's where seemingly everyone came from usac

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bring back USAR Pro Cup and ASA

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If a cup driver enters an Xfinity race and does not win, Brian France dies.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SpitztheGreat posted:

I worked for Daytona for a few years and according to people there Petty is a very chill dude.

Danica is also very nice and until I recognized her I thought she was a kid in a fire suit.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Where do I sign up?

:ironicat:

mischief fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 20, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sprints.

WoO and trucks should tour together. All dirt track, all the time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mandatory 2 cup driver minimum.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

An any Xfinity race with a cup driver Brian France has to sit in the stands for the entire race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Smithfield is back with Petty, getting on the Bubba Bandwagon while the gettin's good. Six races as primary on the 43: http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018/story/_/id/22518809/smithfield-sponsor-six-races-richard-petty-motorsports

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's kind of wild that they came to that resolution after how hard that deal imploded last year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bubba owns

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was spoiled having nice, organized lists of drivers to choose from in the fantasy game which we don't have this year, so I'm making unofficial ones based off last year's standings. Feel free to use these as a guide if it helps organize them:

-A-list: Truex, Kyle, Harvick, Keselowski, Elliott, Hamlin, Larson, Blaney, Johnson, Logano (in place of Kenseth and because he feels like he fits here)
-B-list: A. Dillon, McMurray, Stenhouse, Kurt, Kahne, Newman, Bowyer, Jones, Suarez, Bayne, Menard, T. Dillon, Buescher, Almirola (in place of Jr for the same reasons as Logano on the A)
-C-list: Byron, Bubba (as rookies because that's how Yahoo did it), Bowman, McDowell, Dinger, Ragan, Cassill, DiBenedetto, Whitt, Gaulding, Sorenson, Earnhardt, Cope, the field.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 21, 2018

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Norns posted:

Bubba owns

Bubbowns?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff Gluck did a good sitdown with Mike Joy on how he got into broadcasting and this was one of the highlights for me:

quote:

Many of the FOX management were former CBS people, because FOX Sports was started when they got the NFL contract from CBS, so they absorbed a lot of those people. So as 2000 rolled around, CBS pretty much assumed that I would move with the NASCAR property to FOX.

It wasn’t that easy. NASCAR had a play-by-play person who was, for lack of a better word, a company man that they really wanted there. There were only two jobs, NBC and FOX. NBC signed Allen Bestwick right away. That left the FOX job, and there were a number of us in there vying for it, and I got it.

But it was kind of touch and go there for a while. And I think what put it over the top was, they had hired Darrell, they were talking to Larry McReynolds, and I made sure through Ed Goren, that David Hill and the FOX execs had a tape of a late-season Saturday race that Larry, Darrell and I had done together at Phoenix. And they looked at that and they go, “That’s it, that’s the chemistry we want. There we go.”

I'm curious as to who he's talking about. Ken Squier and Eli Gold were "company men" from MRN, but so were Joy and AB. I remember reading Rick Allen auditioned for it and didn't get it, but he was an outsider.

http://jeffgluck.com/mike-joy-fox-sports-interview-how-i-got-here/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jeff Gluck did a good sitdown with Mike Joy on how he got into broadcasting and this was one of the highlights for me:

I'm curious as to who he's talking about. Ken Squier and Eli Gold were "company men" from MRN, but so were Joy and AB. I remember reading Rick Allen auditioned for it and didn't get it, but he was an outsider.

Maybe Bob Jenkins?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Maybe Bob Jenkins?

Jenkins was lead announcer for Indy at the time, kinda weird to describe that as a "company man"

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

dsriggs posted:

Jenkins was lead announcer for Indy at the time, kinda weird to describe that as a "company man"

Growing up with him and BP and Ned on ESPN cemented Bob in my mind as a NASCAR guy. It was really weird seeing him start to do Indycar races at first.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

Chris Myers didn't do PBP at that time right

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

Chris Myers didn't do PBP at that time right

I don't think so. I seem to remember him saying the plan for him was to be the pre-race host all along and that he thought he and Jeff Hammond would be in a studio in LA before finding out he would actually be at the track.

They actually used him as a pit reporter for an ARCA race in 2001 when the A-team went to Kentucky.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Hey all playing fantasy, this is your friendly reminder to get your team set before qualifying!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/967066410278162437

"I made a joke on a podcast and you referenced it in an interview YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH US ANYMORE!"

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
As if I needed more reasons to think Hamlin is a fuckin dweebo shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hamlin took nascar's biggest baby title from Newman, didn't think that was possible.