Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ponzicar posted:

If I saw what looked like a new pair of boots in the trash, I would assume that they were there for a good reason, probably involving disgusting body fluids.

I don't even LOOK in the trash. I just assume that if it's in there, it's, you know, trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
One man's trash is another's E-mail repository

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Some people don't listen.

:v: "Hi, it's asking me for a password to this shared mailbox."

:) It shouldn't be doing that. Weird. Let me remote in and rebuild your mail profile. *does so* by the way, your shared mailboxes will take a little bit of time to repopulate as it downloads everything in order.

:v: Thanks, so how do I map another inbox?

:) Pardon me? I don't understand.

:v: [Shared mailbox], I don't see it there, I just see mine.

:) Yes, it will take a little bit of time, but everything's automatic due to permissions on the back end.

:v: But how do I map it?

:) You don't. It's automatic. You don't map anything yourself, and in fact doing so can cause issues.

:v: okay, but if you click on file, and-

:) yes, the add account button. Don't touch that. It can cause issues. [Shared Mailbox] will show up after Outlook has finished syncing your main inbox.

:v: So...

:) Give it about 15 minutes. It's currently downloading 500MB from your own mailbox.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A thing that pisses me off is that shared mailboxes assigned by groups don’t autoprovision.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

The Fool posted:

As far as I'm concerned, my trash can is emptied by magic faeries.

L O L if you work in IT and you haven’t met the cleaning staff coming through after 7pm, I envy you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ElehemEare posted:

L O L if you work in IT and you haven’t met the cleaning staff coming through after 7pm, I envy you.

:hf:

My partner just poo poo talks her racist old boss in Spanish with the cleaning staff and apparently it's great

I mostly just get looks of muted sympathy on the rare occasions I'm working after the lights turn off

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElehemEare posted:

I haven't stayed in the office past 5:30 in 2 years, I've earned this poo poo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

why did you not talk to them?
I tended to finish work before 11pm.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Fool posted:

:same:
Our office turns to a ghost town at 5pm as most people leave for the day. Only the west coast support team stays and that's only for another two hours. People will actually ask if something's broke if you're staying later than normal.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ElehemEare posted:

The cleaning staff is pretty chill.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Except for meeting room and vacuuming our cleaning staff does the rest of the work throughout the day. It took a little time to get used to having them cleaning around you, but you get used to it, and they're good people who'll put up with our random "We suddenly have 10 times the normal amount of trash because we got an emergency order for iPads" in return for access to our free coffee vending machine and whatever cake/candy that seem to find it's way to the helpdesk.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Fool posted:

Seriously. 4pm rolls around and I’m out the door unless there’s an ongoing emergency. Any after hours maintenance that could have an impact, I schedule for when it’s convenient for me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I naturally wake up around 4:30, so I come into work around 5 when nobody is here.

I leave by 1. :smug:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

I naturally wake up around 4:30, so I come into work around 5 when nobody is here.

I leave by 1. :smug:

Why does ratbert get to leave so early every day??!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sefal posted:

The cleaning staff is pretty chill.

The cleaning staff at the old place I worked was a family operation, it was a 40 or so year old lady and her 20 year old daughter. Her daughter would always bring me food on patch Tuesday (i'd start the day late, start off the patches at 7pm or so and then get paid to sit around until they were done).

Good food too, usually home cooked.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My teammate is trying to replace an HDD with an SSD in a PowerEdge T310. Problem is, the mounting bracket offsets the SSD from the SATA plugs, see this pic comparing it with an HDD:

Is there a suitable bracket or another solution?

EDIT: It looks like this might do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Mounting-Bracket-drive-CSSD-BRKT1/dp/B0090UG55A

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 22, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
People use the brackets? Half the IT guys here just let the thing hang in the case :v:

I mean I realize that's probably bad but I'm not the one doing it

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I buy brackets for like $7. The Amazon one works fine too. I get them from Newegg for the sweet sweet eBates money.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

suuma posted:

People use the brackets? Half the IT guys here just let the thing hang in the case :v:

my boss double sided tapes them to the side of the case.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This ain't a desktop computer, it's gotta connect to a backplane. In any case, I ended up doing this:

https://www.tachytelic.net/2014/05/installing-2-5-ssd-3-5-dell-drive-caddy/

However the RAID controller doesn't recognize it. Back to the drawing board.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

This ain't a desktop computer, it's gotta connect to a backplane. In any case, I ended up doing this:

https://www.tachytelic.net/2014/05/installing-2-5-ssd-3-5-dell-drive-caddy/

However the RAID controller doesn't recognize it. Back to the drawing board.

I never said it was a good idea. He just uses double sided tape and velcro for everything.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
My cleaning person story is that a few years ago I was finishing up work late and walking around the office making sure it was empty so I could set the alarm and go home. Cleaning dude must've heard me coming and got scared because when I looked into the kitchen he was pointing a chef's knife at me.

So yeah, I was almost stabbed by our office's cleaning guy.

Other than that he seems ok.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Why does ratbert get to leave so early every day??!

Get here at 5. :smug: Is what I say. They usually say no thanks and leave.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Get here at 5. :smug: Is what I say. They usually say no thanks and leave.

Here, the office drones asking those kinds of questions don't even recognize 5am as a thing that exists.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Don't let the capitalist man pit you against your brothers. Say not "why does ratbert ninety get to leave so early", say instead, "why do I come here at all"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Don't let the capitalist man pit you against your brothers. Say not "why does ratbert ninety get to leave so early", say instead, "why do I come here at all"

I would say 50% of the time I work from home.
Although this next month I will be onboarding a new guy, so I have to be in the office every day. :smith:

However; the office is only 7 miles away so that's good.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ratbert90 posted:

I would say 50% of the time I work from home.
Although this next month I will be onboarding a new guy, so I have to be in the office every day. :smith:

However; the office is only 7 miles away so that's good.

I like your job. Can I have it when you get promoted?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I like your job. Can I have it when you get promoted?

lmbo no you don't. The hours are great sure, but the interoffice politics and management are complete and utter garbage.

Life got 100% better for me once I started treating them like a 1099 client.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've worked from home for the last year and a half and I can tell you, it brings the good with the bad.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I asked for a work from home day yesterday, for this coming friday. My boss replied with an ok, but we need to remember that work from home is a "limited resource" and we need to use it "sparingly". I didn't realise we had hit peak work from home. I asked him to clarify what he meant, and he sent me the work from home policy and said it's manager's discretion.

Later that day my chair broke, and as I was picking myself off the floor his comment was "looks like you need to get on a diet"

So today I called in sick and spent the day napping, hanging out with my dog, and job hunting. gently caress that guy and gently caress that job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

suuma posted:

I hope that dude likes having the contact pins eventually just snap off.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Antioch posted:

So today I called in sick and spent the day napping, hanging out with my dog, and job hunting. gently caress that guy and gently caress that job.

:hf:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Antioch posted:

:cheers:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Antioch fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 22, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

That's a quality dog you have there.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Kurieg posted:

That's a quality dog you have there.

Thank you. His name is Beans, and he's pretty great.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Antioch posted:

Thank you. His name is Beans, and he's pretty great.

Beans choice in beer makes him a bad dog though.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Beer or beer glass? This is an important distinction.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Beer or beer glass? This is an important distinction.

The beer is too light to be a Guinness. This is the major issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Antioch posted:

God Bless