Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

aww that was the first keyboard i used back in Android 2.2 days. it came bundled with my phone and the stock keyboard was soo bad then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I used it for years (all the way back to when it was an private beta), so it's a bummer to see it go, even if I moved away from it back around 2012

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I still like Fleksy.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Is there any voice recording app that stands head and shoulders above the rest? I'm not looking for anything special for now, just a few basic features:

- Able to record in-person conversations/interviews without much setup (1-2 taps from main screen to start recording)
- Able to name the resulting audio files and play them from the app itself
- Able to sort said files by date recorded/name/length
- No length limits, doesn't stop recording until told to stop or out of space
- Uses a standard format like MP3 that can be easily transferred to/played on other devices
- Doesn't have any weird privacy/battery/whatever issues

It would also be nice if there are options to help filter out background noise or make basic edits from the same app, but that's not essential.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Atahualpa posted:

Is there any voice recording app that stands head and shoulders above the rest? I'm not looking for anything special for now, just a few basic features:

- Able to record in-person conversations/interviews without much setup (1-2 taps from main screen to start recording)
- Able to name the resulting audio files and play them from the app itself
- Able to sort said files by date recorded/name/length
- No length limits, doesn't stop recording until told to stop or out of space
- Uses a standard format like MP3 that can be easily transferred to/played on other devices
- Doesn't have any weird privacy/battery/whatever issues

It would also be nice if there are options to help filter out background noise or make basic edits from the same app, but that's not essential.

I like Easy Voice Recorder. I think it checks all those boxes, or at least most of them. It even had a widget so you can tap and immediately start recording. (I use it mostly to record myself playing music during practice sessions and the widget is great for it.)

revolther
May 27, 2008
+1 for Easy voice recorder, I've even had varying success with line in recording with it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Make that 3 reccs for Easy Voice Recorder

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Edit: Oh, one other thing. I'm dealing with a situation where I'd like to block someone but might need to have a record of their texts/voicemails. I've never actually needed to block anyone before - usually just telling them in no uncertain terms to piss off has done the trick - so I don't exactly know how it works. If you block someone, is there any way to go back and view any texts/voicemail they left you while blocked? And if not, is there an app that functions like blocking in terms of keeping things from showing up for you but saves those things somewhere so that you can go back and retrieve them later?

Atahualpa fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 23, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Since the announcement that Swype is dead I've been trying out other keyboards. So far I've mostly been using Gboard, but I've also briefly played with SwiftKey. In both cases, the thing I miss most is Swype's punctuation gesture: swipe from a key with a punctuation mark as a secondary character to the space bar to type the punctuation mark without having to stop and long-press. Similarly, swiping from the period key (secondary character is apostrophe) to the S key gives 's, which is handy for making random words possessive, and swiping from space to backspace suppresses the space that normally gets inserted between words, which is great for making compound words.

Are there any keyboards out there that support at least some of these gestures? Gboard seems fine otherwise, but the lack of this feature has really been tripping me up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Since the announcement that Swype is dead I've been trying out other keyboards. So far I've mostly been using Gboard, but I've also briefly played with SwiftKey. In both cases, the thing I miss most is Swype's punctuation gesture: swipe from a key with a punctuation mark as a secondary character to the space bar to type the punctuation mark without having to stop and long-press. Similarly, swiping from the period key (secondary character is apostrophe) to the S key gives 's, which is handy for making random words possessive, and swiping from space to backspace suppresses the space that normally gets inserted between words, which is great for making compound words.

Are there any keyboards out there that support at least some of these gestures? Gboard seems fine otherwise, but the lack of this feature has really been tripping me up.

The lack of 's and 've gestures really mess me up too but you know you're not going to find anything that does something similar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Every once in awhile someone will mention a feature if Gboard and I'll go back and try it.

I've been using it since it was brought up a week ago about how you can swipe in the spacbar to move the cursor.

That's a really nice feature.

However, I can't type in this loving thing! Any suggestions about how to get better with it other than lots of practice? I'm going to end up going back to SwiftKey if I don't get better soon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Why does the Google Phone app now have "chat heads" when you're on a call? I don't see the point, especially when it doesn't do anything you can't do through the notification.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Every once in awhile someone will mention a feature if Gboard and I'll go back and try it.

I've been using it since it was brought up a week ago about how you can swipe in the spacbar to move the cursor.

That's a really nice feature.

However, I can't type in this loving thing! Any suggestions about how to get better with it other than lots of practice? I'm going to end up going back to SwiftKey if I don't get better soon.

Swipe instead of type or adjust the size of the keyboard to the point where you can type

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uthor posted:

Why does the Google Phone app now have "chat heads" when you're on a call? I don't see the point, especially when it doesn't do anything you can't do through the notification.

Does it? I haven't seen them. Doesn't the notification only allow you to hang up as well

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Does it? I haven't seen them. Doesn't the notification only allow you to hang up as well

(the doggie in the lower right)

It let's you hang up or hide the head. The notification let's you hang up or turn on/off speakerphone.

revolther
May 27, 2008
If you tap it, should open the dialer as well. It's just minimizing the application, probably because people were accidentally hanging up while trying to read a webpage to whoever they just called.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Must be a switch thing then as no sign of it here

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

revolther posted:

If you tap it, should open the dialer as well. It's just minimizing the application, probably because people were accidentally hanging up while trying to read a webpage to whoever they just called.

Well, I don't like it and I don't know how to turn it off. :colbert:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uthor posted:

(the doggie in the lower right)

It let's you hang up or hide the head. The notification let's you hang up or turn on/off speakerphone.

Try this

There isn't currently a setting in the Phone app to completely disable the floating widget. However, if you would like to get rid of it, there's a simple trick. Just find the list of apps that can "display on top of other apps," which you can search for in the Settings app on your phone, and disable that feature on the Phone app. It won't impact the ability to be on a call, but it will prevent the floating bubble from showing up.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

Haha, it's not just me then. I pretty much exclusively swipe on it because it seems like these days if I type I get pure garbage. I thought I couldn't hack the small screen anymore or something

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LastInLine posted:

The lack of 's and 've gestures really mess me up too but you know you're not going to find anything that does something similar.

Those are nice but I'll live. The lack of punctuation and capitalization gestures in general is killing me, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Those are nice but I'll live. The lack of punctuation and capitalization gestures in general is killing me, though.

Well they took the swipe above keyboard to capitalize gesture out of Swype like a year ago so it's not like that one's killing you too much.

vv Ah yeah, I knew they put in something like that but could never remember it. I always just used the select the word, hit the shift key method. Gboard does the same method so I haven't had problems adjusting (though like everything Gboard does it's a little worse as the shift key just switches toggles through capitalized, all-caps, no caps instead of just putting the three choices into the suggestion bar as would be sane).

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 26, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LastInLine posted:

Well they took the swipe above keyboard to capitalize gesture out of Swype like a year ago so it's not like that one's killing you too much.

Swype key to shift key.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toast Museum posted:

The lack of punctuation and capitalization gestures in general is killing me, though.
Swipe from symbols key to desired punctuation. It's not quite as fluid as Swype (from what I remember, not used Swype for about five years now) but it does it in one motion.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a way to get Android to tell you who's calling and/or read you SMS through your headphones without interacting with the screen?

It'd be nice to know if I have to stop when riding my bike and listening to music.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to get Android to tell you who's calling and/or read you SMS through your headphones without interacting with the screen?

It'd be nice to know if I have to stop when riding my bike and listening to music.

Yes, and that's exactly what I use it for too. Actually, not sure about calling, but definitely for notifications.

You can do it with Tasker, and the AutoNotification plugin.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I use Messages on an older Nexus 6 for SMS and for some reason whenever I open Messages it can take up to 15 seconds, and it is getting slower. Anyone else had this issue? I'm willing to use another SMS app if that fixes the issue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Peachfart posted:

I use Messages on an older Nexus 6 for SMS and for some reason whenever I open Messages it can take up to 15 seconds, and it is getting slower. Anyone else had this issue? I'm willing to use another SMS app if that fixes the issue.

It's likely because it's a Nexus 6, and the flash storage is dying.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Peachfart posted:

How large is your message store?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It doesn't look to be that large, Messages data storage is about 25MB. And now I am getting worried about my phone as I am getting longish(1-2 seconds) pauses on other actions, randomly.
Might be time to start looking for a new phone then.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Peachfart posted:

It doesn't look to be that large, Messages data storage is about 25MB. And now I am getting worried about my phone as I am getting longish(1-2 seconds) pauses on other actions, randomly.
Might be time to start looking for a new phone then.

When was the last time you ever factory reset the thing. Might give it a little more life.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
What's the best way of getting decent browser ad blocking for a Nexus 5? Is there a Chrome adblocker extension or should I switch browsers?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Herman Merman posted:

What's the best way of getting decent browser ad blocking for a Nexus 5? Is there a Chrome adblocker extension or should I switch browsers?

You could try Firefox with uBlock origin. That's what I'm using anyway. Scrolling is a bit more choppy than Chrome though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bronin posted:

You could try Firefox with uBlock origin. That's what I'm using anyway. Scrolling is a bit more choppy than Chrome though.

I've been using Samsung Internet and it's... well it ain't great but the scrolling works.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I run Firefox with uBlock Origin and Disable HTML5 Autoplay. I can browse the web with ad-free dignity and smooth scrolling. Perhaps the hardware matters, I'm on a Moto G5+. The blocker combo does break some websites, add exceptions or ignore those lovely websites as needed.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Herman Merman posted:

Samsung Internet is a Chrome variant that supports ad blocking. Feels much better than Firefox.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I started using Brave for the ad blocking. It's been great, behaves pretty much just like chrome except way more snappy, and no more ads.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Herman Merman posted:

The best way is an ad blocking VPN on your own hardware (or cloud-based VM).

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Are there any useful performance comparisons between Chrome, Firefox, Samsung Internet Browser and Brave? Featurewise I assume they're all more or less okay.

If I remember correctly the Brave devs are pooptouchers though, isn't there some kind of pointless bitcoin integration in the browser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I'm looking for a keyboard.

Instead of pushing up the contents of a screen when the input field happens to be down in the bottom, the keyboard needs to exist as a sort of a transparent overlay, allowing me to see through it while I type.

Does this exist, or I'm chasing unicorns over here?