Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

That'd do it. Analog to analog connections often have hard to tune echo cancellation issues, and if you were also hearing some digital compression artifacts the provider was likely using G.729 or similar to the Adtran. If you're straight digital now with G.711 then you should be getting the highest quality that is technically achievable over the PSTN.

With the VoIP system connected to the analog lines, we did have a bit of echo. I had to play around with the TX/RX gains to mostly eliminate it. But you could still hear it on occasion.

No such issues with the straight SIP trunk, so yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CEO's wife works in the design department. She's slow with everything and always months behind.

Catalog vendor wants high quality images of a product so they can put it in their catalog, CEO's wife makes our catalog and keeps everything on a local cheap USB drive plugged into *~her mac~* (this is all at the house and nothing is company owned).

So I reach out to her for the images, I get an email with all 20 attached and automatically resized to like 150x150 because email size.

I tell her to upload to google drive and I'll get them on the FTP since she hates the FTP and loves google drive, and she's the reason we added it as a 4th cloud storage that we pay for.

She's too busy these are full 8000x8000 images that's high enough quality for anything. I tell her her email client resized them no reply. Customer service manager is now in the room because he's been CCed on all of this and he needs the images for the customer 20 minutes ago.

I give her a call, rings for a bit then goes to voicemail. I call back, right to voice mail. Clearly ignoring my calls. CEO doesn't seem to be in today. Customer service manager was also dumped right to voice mail, and we had someone else try and it says that extension cannot be reached press 9 to leave a voicemail.

She has unplugged her company issued VOIP phone. I know her internet isn't out, I can see she is logged into the VPN still, and I can ping her mac.

Game plan is to upload the lovely res and hope the customer doesn't notice until tomorrow when we hopefully have a higher res copy. I think this is a bad idea, but I'm not sure the best way to smooth things over and I have a ton of email covering my rear end (that doesn't really matter because CEO's wife). All that will come of this is CEO saying he'll speak with her then he'll come back and say something about unreasonable deadlines and leave it at that.

(These images were supposed to be finished, on the server, for November)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Super Slash posted:

Some dick hole decided to move our DHCP server from Hyper-V to vSphere, and wanted to alter its configuration beforehand but cocked it up by blowing out the formatting of the config file (I think we use ISC?) so we had ~problems~ in the morning.

Nothing overly difficult to overcome but its more the fact of some guy from another site going "Yo dudes imma change some stuff hold onto yer butts" with no drat notice.

The IT version of "Hey, hold my beer"?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Samizdata posted:

The IT version of "Hey, hold my beer"?

More accurate is probably someone standing on a roof yelling “EY CHECK IS poo poo OUT”

Hold my beer usually implies some sort of competition.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
poo poo pissing me off:

User demands we replace a device cause it isn't working in Program B. It works fine in the test software AND Software A. I hand it off to Program B's group. They tell me to replace the device too.

I'm the desk jockey in IT. You're not. Let me handle when it's time to replace a device. Thanks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got to send my first Dear John letter to a company I interviewed for. It felt good. :smug:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
For fucks sake.. A vendor we work with launched new quoting software. On occasion some installations of it throw up a .NET error. The vendors fix is to have you change the shortcut to always run the software as admin :mad: instead of fixing the actual issue.

The problem with this being none of our users are allowed admin, ever. I'll be damned if I am going to change that to accommodate one vendor. Their old software worked better in this regard. Only required admin for installation. But could run and update itself without it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

stevewm posted:

For fucks sake.. A vendor we work with launched new quoting software. On occasion some installations of it throw up a .NET error. The vendors fix is to have you change the shortcut to always run the software as admin :mad: instead of fixing the actual issue.

The problem with this being none of our users are allowed admin, ever. I'll be damned if I am going to change that to accommodate one vendor. Their old software worked better in this regard. Only required admin for installation. But could run and update itself without it.

"Normal operation of this software including but not limited to end-user operation and updating must not require local administrative privileges" is a line that should be in every spec, period.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I've finally decided what I hate most about our ancient-rear end ticketing system. You can't attach anything to a ticket until after it's been assigned.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If your next post isn't "So I filed the paperwork at lunch today" I'm gonna be so disappointed with you.

So I mailed the paperwork at lunch today.

I always get worried I’m making mistakes on these things. I put in probably way more material than they really care about and attached explanations as to why it’s there.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

skooma512 posted:

I always get worried I’m making mistakes on these things. I put in probably way more material than they really care about and attached explanations as to why it’s there.

:hfive:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

"Normal operation of this software including but not limited to end-user operation and updating must not require local administrative privileges" is a line that should be in every spec, period.

In a perfect world I would. But unfortunately there are no specs, or anything like that. We are distributors for many different vendors, every one of which has different software for quoting and ordering their products. The majority of them have went web based, but one or two have made a step backwards. Customers basically dictate which vendors we use, so we are forced to use the vendor's software, or not make the sale.

The error is obviously permission related, I'll just track it down with Process Monitor... Just pisses me off that I have to.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

skooma512 posted:

There you go. Get that money my dude.

Pissing me off: Ransomware on network was not properly cleaned and tried to spring up again after rebooting a server. I was up til 4am fixing and cleaning the goddamn host last night.
Not pissing me off: Slept til noon today and just walked in to finish the last couple hours of the day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Pissing me off: Ransomware on network was not properly cleaned and tried to spring up again after rebooting a server. I was up til 4am fixing and cleaning the goddamn host last night.

Why was this server not immediately flattened when it was compromised?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

The Fool posted:

Why was this server not immediately flattened when it was compromised?

Boy would I love to know the answer to this question. Neither me nor my company were responsible for it and I honestly didn't care enough to follow the trail of bullshit to see who hosed it up.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Not pissing me off: Slept til noon today and just walked in to finish the last couple hours of the day.

I'm glad you got some rest. :unsmith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

stevewm posted:

How do you usually deploy software? PDQdeploy and SCCM both let you run applications within the system context.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Im working on a preparation for go live on a service in a week. I currently have 21 active SFB conversations about 21 different things. It has been like this all day, I didn't bother to count when it was at its peak.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s good when you book a day a couple of weeks in advance and then your client wants to push it back with about 24 hours notice, and just assumes that weekend work is a thing that we want to do, and that it won’t cost any extra.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Magical equipment fairy showed up. Last IT manager loved to store old hardware wherever he could find space in another department that wasn't paying attention.

From behind filing cabinets in accounting that were at a 90 degree angle leaving some inaccessible space behind someone located a box containing:

A dozen early Wacom tablets of various models.
2 USB scanners with acceptable res (both still supported on modern OSes and I know of someone that needed a scanner but can't get it approved, they can have the 10 year old scanner that works perfectly fine, 300dpi at 2400x4000 is good enough for documents).
3 serial scanner guns that look beat to hell and I doubt work.
8 keyboards with missing keys,
~30 PS/2 mice and finally 3 serial fax modems.

I am so confused by the crazy spread of years these items must have been retired. He must have held onto some of this stuff then decided to move it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pixaal posted:

2 USB scanners with acceptable res (both still supported on modern OSes and I know of someone that needed a scanner but can't get it approved, they can have the 10 year old scanner that works perfectly fine, 300dpi at 2400x4000 is good enough for documents).
You have just made a friend for life.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Panthrax posted:

It's not even a feature discrepancy. We pay something like $28k/year for slack and I'm pretty sure the plus version, at $50k+ won't do what I need, which is import private channels and dms. They do have a SCIM API to bulk change emails though. Don't know if you can bulk enable accounts though. I doubt the bosses are keen on spending an extra 25k/year to save me from some carpal tunnel though.

Why would you expect Slack to dump you out historical chats and DMs when access to such data explicitly requires a legal discovery request?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Thing that is royally pissing me off, old company just made people redundant, the only people laid off were the people who have ever stood up for their team (my old manager) or raised concerns about HR overstepping its boundaries.

I know it doesn't concern me anymore (and hell i shouldn't even know) but this makes my blood boil.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Accounting is considering giving 4 people on our team of ~16 that got unplanned "good job" raises for completing a giant project that saved us 1m+ a year a 0% raise during annual review because "well they already got one and budgets are tight and other people deserve bigger raises". My boss told me this face to face right before I got on a plane (good of him to do it in person IMO) and he was red in the face since he just found out. It might be :yotj: for me seeing how this all plays out in a month or so.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Virigoth posted:

Accounting is considering giving 4 people on our team of ~16 that got unplanned "good job" raises for completing a giant project that saved us 1m+ a year a 0% raise during annual review because "well they already got one and budgets are tight and other people deserve bigger raises". My boss told me this face to face right before I got on a plane (good of him to do it in person IMO) and he was red in the face since he just found out. It might be :yotj: for me seeing how this all plays out in a month or so.

What the gently caress

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What the gently caress

I forgot to mention I'm also probably getting a promotion at the same time with it's additional money not being impacted. loving weird day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When you :yotj: find the person in accounting that said that, tell them that your budget was tight and you needed a bigger raise.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/967099298851753984

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 24, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dogstile posted:

Thing that is royally pissing me off, old company just made people redundant, the only people laid off were the people who have ever stood up for their team (my old manager) or raised concerns about HR overstepping its boundaries.

I know it doesn't concern me anymore (and hell i shouldn't even know) but this makes my blood boil.

I worked for a place where redundancies happened and there was an "impartial" scoring procedure which they totally didn't skew at all so they could keep the christians and drop the atheists, thinking they could hide it behind only releasing the group average.

Only problem is, if you scale one person up way higher than they should be and everyone else gets together, they can calculate that person's scores using theirs and the average. This person who'd just made senior got marked twice as high as everyone else even on things they'd never done.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
One of our softphones is having issues with the latest version of Chrome. The vendor's response is to downgrade several versions and see if it works.

Downgrading Chrome is extremely not supported by Google to the point where finding an offline installer is proving impossible unless i want to trust s0ftware.com or the like, and even then I have no idea how to turn off the auto-update feature like in Firefox.

Why can't things just loving work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ask the vendor to provide the downgrade Chrome files they need since their product is a steamy pile of poo poo?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Virigoth posted:

Ask the vendor to provide the downgrade Chrome files they need since their product is a steamy pile of poo poo?

Yep, I just requested the installer and instructions. If they don't have them I am just gonna tell the sales managers there's nothing we can do until they unfuck their software.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

One of our softphones is having issues with the latest version of Chrome. The vendor's response is to downgrade several versions and see if it works.

Downgrading Chrome is extremely not supported by Google to the point where finding an offline installer is proving impossible unless i want to trust s0ftware.com or the like, and even then I have no idea how to turn off the auto-update feature like in Firefox.

That is the first I've ever heard of someone needing a "lower" version of chrome. Hell, our website specifies the minimum version of IE you must have, but for 'sane' browsers, it just states the name, because any decently sane browser should keep itself up to date with good web standards. Isn't Chrome supposed to be an incredibly backwards-compatible browser anyway? What kind of lovely softphones are you us-.. Oh, I answered my own question.

That said, ask me about the 2-month long fight between a client and our Dev support where the root cause ended up being the client's default working environment being IE11 running a lower compatibility mode of IE per client-company-wide setting, which was causing issues.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

dogstile posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off.

Just had a data entry project dumped on me. Its mostly mind numbing bullshit with the added bonus that I get to try to get additional data from clients who don't usually send out data.

This isn't actually my job or what I meant when I said "I don't mind helping out a little bit if i've got nothing to do", mainly because I actually have poo poo to do. If I had literally nothing to do, I wouldn't care.

Then again, the boss does buy me beer and actually say's well done when i've dealt with something stressful (never actually had that before), so i'm willing to do this as its not going to bury me with work, its just boring.

Am I dumb? Probably, but the way i'm doing this data entry is automating it and making sure that nobody ever does this again, so i'm thinking I can just use it to angle for a raise next year or something.

I love mind numbing data entry if I have the correct spss or database to put it in. Turn on a tv show in the background, or a good podcast, done in no time.

pixaal posted:

CEO's wife works in the design department. She's slow with everything and always months behind.

Catalog vendor wants high quality images of a product so they can put it in their catalog, CEO's wife makes our catalog and keeps everything on a local cheap USB drive plugged into *~her mac~* (this is all at the house and nothing is company owned).

So I reach out to her for the images, I get an email with all 20 attached and automatically resized to like 150x150 because email size.

I tell her to upload to google drive and I'll get them on the FTP since she hates the FTP and loves google drive, and she's the reason we added it as a 4th cloud storage that we pay for.

She's too busy these are full 8000x8000 images that's high enough quality for anything. I tell her her email client resized them no reply. Customer service manager is now in the room because he's been CCed on all of this and he needs the images for the customer 20 minutes ago.

I give her a call, rings for a bit then goes to voicemail. I call back, right to voice mail. Clearly ignoring my calls. CEO doesn't seem to be in today. Customer service manager was also dumped right to voice mail, and we had someone else try and it says that extension cannot be reached press 9 to leave a voicemail.

She has unplugged her company issued VOIP phone. I know her internet isn't out, I can see she is logged into the VPN still, and I can ping her mac.

Game plan is to upload the lovely res and hope the customer doesn't notice until tomorrow when we hopefully have a higher res copy. I think this is a bad idea, but I'm not sure the best way to smooth things over and I have a ton of email covering my rear end (that doesn't really matter because CEO's wife). All that will come of this is CEO saying he'll speak with her then he'll come back and say something about unreasonable deadlines and leave it at that.

(These images were supposed to be finished, on the server, for November)

As a CEO spouse and occasional employee, that sucks so bad. Thankfully my wife wouldn’t hesitate to fire me if I pulled that sort of stunt. You make your spouse look sooooo bad when you try to cheat the system and get caught.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

When they provide you with the older version of Chrome/Chromium that's supported by their software, make sure it includes a backported fix for CVE-2018-6056, as well as any other vulnerabilities.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

When they provide you with the older version of Chrome/Chromium that's supported by their software, make sure it includes a backported fix for CVE-2018-6056, as well as any other vulnerabilities.

:lol:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I've finally decided what I hate most about our ancient-rear end ticketing system. You can't attach anything to a ticket until after it's been assigned.

The version of jira that we use is pretty sweet.
Two of my most favorite things.

1. On our side, it supports inline images in tickets. Dosen't display them to the clients though.
Figured this one out the hard way.

2. It sends out a ticket updated email to the clients. Which specifically says they can reply to the email. And they can. But all emails are added as attachments only. not in the case body.
Which means the body of the ticket, and emails can widely diverge. Assuming we notice a email attached in the first place.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Our ops guys setup jira so you can email it and it adds the email as a comment, but for some reason it doesn't strip out the quoted text, so you have the logarithmically increasing emails as people respond and each one includes the last notes again and again. I think they are working on it, our ops guys are really good so I expect them to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a common problem, and with both remedy and servicenow our ticketing system group has gone for the magic string solution. Each email the ticketing system sends out has a "====INSERT REPLY ABOVE THIS LINE====" type line in it and it deletes that line and anything below it before appending to a ticket.

It's a lovely hack but I can't argue with it being effective.