Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Having the same issue with fleet manager - anyone found the workaround?

that fleet eventually ended up dying, and a new fleet i build was able to add new designs. so uhh, kill em off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

There's no rally points anymore because military ships can't exist except as fleet members (or traveling to a fleet), and the fleet is the rally point.

It's annoying when I just want to hit C and move my fleet back to the rally point, if I don't have to make repairs, or if where I want it, isn't the nearest port, y'know?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VirtualStranger posted:

I was actually surprised that the different Marauder clans on the map are all different species. The pre-release info we got about them gave me the impression that they were competing factions of the same race.

I believe the fiction is that each on map clan is ACTUALLY split into countless squabbling factions which are just abstracted out, which is why they are ineffective little enclaves. After they unite they become powerful.

But is just story fluff to explain why they aren't conquering the galaxy from year one.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:toot::toot:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/966686652612653056

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

How do you get subjugation or tributary CB? I have the domination tree but every empire I try to declare war on just says I don't have the right CB, but there's no explanation how to get it.

Demand vassalisation or tribute. It should say how to get it if you select the greyed out wargoal during wardec.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:staredog: My neighbors just offered to sell me a Precursor artifact because I don't have them all yet.

e; Also I don't know if it's all down to reduced fleet sizes or what but the game runs hellllaaaaa quick now.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 22, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Demand vassalisation or tribute. It should say how to get it if you select the greyed out wargoal during wardec.

Thanks!

Now that I have the war going, I'm not sure how to win it though. I absolutely over-power them and have just been carpet sieging their planets but it looks like I need +200 warscore to win a tributary wargoal. Am I missing something?

Is it because they have an ally in the war I'd need to occupy every single one of both of their planets?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks!

Now that I have the war going, I'm not sure how to win it though. I absolutely over-power them and have just been carpet sieging their planets but it looks like I need +200 warscore to win a tributary wargoal. Am I missing something?

Occupy more systems to get their acceptance up.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I was very nearly late to work today because I made the mistake of starting a game when I woke up. Everything is amazing, props to everyone involved in this masterpiece!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks!

Is it because they have an ally in the war I'd need to occupy every single one of both of their planets?

Crush their navy harder and occupy more planets and they'll be willing to accept your domination. You won't need to occupy everything.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Crush their navy harder and occupy more planets and they'll be willing to accept your domination. You won't need to occupy everything.

And thank gently caress for that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Ideally you would use this moment to destroy as much of their infrastructure as you can before loving off.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

VirtualStranger posted:

I think the Fallen Empire generation should probably be tweaked a bit so their borders follow the hyperlanes. They often spawn with some weird borders like this:

i don't see the problem, FEs predate the removal of warp

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So when you reinforce a fleet with multiple designs, and you can afford only one (but any design), does it prioritize the more costly ones, the most powerful ones, or?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Never seen this reply before. :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just wanna say that building a dedicated fleet yards starbase and calling it like "Trimus Fleet Yards" and making GBS threads out six ships at a time from it to reinforce a fleet really quickly is extremely good & cool.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Thyrork posted:

amazing

:drakengard:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thyrork posted:

I dunno who writes all the little blurbs like that for Paradox but I love all the little references they sprinkle throughout.

Honestly the thing I'm most excited about with Apocalypse is now that I've actually won a game and gotten all the end-game crises achievements and the exterminate all life achievement I can play a game where I'm not having to be super game-y and do things I don't like.

Maybe I'll try a Spiritualist empire? I'm debating between that and a machine hive mind.

I really just like exploring and the events and not so much all the combat, but that's how I've always played 4X games and Civilization.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ms Adequate posted:

Just wanna say that building a dedicated fleet yards starbase and calling it like "Trimus Fleet Yards" and making GBS threads out six ships at a time from it to reinforce a fleet really quickly is extremely good & cool.

I hope that the AI likes to do this as well so I can nuke it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What's the title a reference to? Other than Wiz and the death of the warp drive, of course.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

What's the title a reference to? Other than Wiz and the death of the warp drive, of course.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Finally managed to play at least the early game. It has a totally different feel; the mad land grab is like a different game. The autodesigned ships are actually... not bad. The AI still seems to piss its minerals away on ships in the early game though, thus allowing the player to compound their advantage. Now that early rushing is harder, this might be something to revisit.

If anyone finds some good new player guides or mods they think should be in the OP, :justpost:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Automated ground troops are pretty good. It seems you don't have to bombard planets at all anymore, there's not fortification bonus to eat up before you invade? Bombardment seems to very slowly hurt enemy defenders but it's often so much quicker to just invade. The only problem I've had at all is that the group troop fleet AI is a little bit timid and I'll often manually order them to land troops and take a planet with no losses despite the Ai not thinking it's quite safe to invade.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Probably the nicest change so far for me is that there's a very clear divide early on between teching for fleets versus teching for stations. You can still make a monster fleet like before, or you can simply establish your borders, find good bottlenecks, and then build gigantic doom forts to secure your empire. There's now a lot of thought about how far I can reasonably expand outwards while still being able to defend my claims, and definite tradeoffs for building a big ol' fleet versus building a whole bunch of strategic stations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tried to do that Fanatical thing and its been stuck on "processing/Pending" for over thirty minutes. Kinda BS. Think I'll just request the order be cancelled/refunded and get it at Paradox Plaza or steam.

Did anyone else have a problem?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I had some mutants emerge from a bunker on a tomb world and they took over the planet. I sent some armies to invade and kill them but I can't land the transports. the tool tip says "planet must be colonized before armies can land." it is colonized, still has pops on it, no option to send a colony ship.

edit: they killed everybody and now I can recolonize. too bad so sad for the colonists I guess.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What happens with system ownership when you technological enlightenment a pre-ftl civ? Do they get ownership of the outpost? What if you have a colony in system?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've fired up a test game (going with the dependable old UNE), and I've been enjoying myself so far. Somehow found a system with something like 40 minerals. :getin: Needless to say had a mad dash to secure it.

Sad that the tailer theme isn't included in the expansion soundtrack - will it ever be available?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've fired up a test game (going with the dependable old UNE), and I've been enjoying myself so far. Somehow found a system with something like 40 minerals. :getin: Needless to say had a mad dash to secure it.

Sad that the tailer theme isn't included in the expansion soundtrack - will it ever be available?

I'm sure that there aren't any bad things at all waiting for you in this system. Not a single one.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

rizzen posted:

I'm sure that there aren't any bad things at all waiting for you in this system. Not a single one.

Can't be anything bad waiting for him there if he already beat them to it, weren't you reading?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The best film that takes an hour+ to get going and you think its boring and lovely and then becomes insanely good as you watch Brad Pitt portrays a man having a paranoid nervous breakdown on screen and is also a mass murderer but who people revere as a hero because of romanticizing criminals and resulted in the guy who actually caught him being ostracized from society and eventually murdered himself.

Or this.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I got home and fired up the new version + expansion. Uhhhh is this normal?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
So did Cherryh put the last nail in the coffin of the one-planet Nexus strategy?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rizzen posted:

Oh.

OH.

:ohdear:

I forgot there was a popup talking about a Crystalline Asteroid field...I thought it was talking about another system I'd been surveying at the time.

I should probably build a large fleet, shouldn't I?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Giant dicks in space

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Oh wow quite alot has changed since Synthetic Dawn's release. So I see you cant use your early corvette fleet to explore now huh.

E: Recruitment takes energy not influence what :psyduck:.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 23, 2018

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I got home and fired up the new version + expansion. Uhhhh is this normal?

Yes. It looks like your closest neighbors are one of the new horde empires that can spawn in the galaxy. They don't have planets; instead they have giant fuckoff stations and huge fleets. They'll mostly leave you alone, except the occasional raid and the new midgame crisis where they can band together and start conquering the galaxy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh.

OH.

:ohdear:

I forgot there was a popup talking about a Crystalline Asteroid field...I thought it was talking about another system I'd been surveying at the time.

I should probably build a large fleet, shouldn't I?

Yeah, 2500 fleet power at minimum, and preferably more like 10-15K.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Loving the game so far. Slow expansion through outpost spam feels much better than what we had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, 2500 fleet power at minimum, and preferably more like 10-15K.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might burn the run to the ground and start over, that's probably gonna be beyond my reach entirely.

I love this game, but I suck real bad at it.