Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Two thousand United States dollars for something with the same cooking space as a $150 Weber kettle. I'm sure kamados are nice, but not that nice. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But we gotta make sure we cook this mystery meat first. Can't buy the proper cut before we use this one!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
*autistic screeching intensifies*

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stringent posted:

*autistic screeching intensifies*

RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edit:

Internet Explorer posted:

But we gotta make sure we cook this mystery meat first. Can't buy the proper cut before we use this one!

the best is pork but is stupid cheap.. where I live I bought an 10-11lb butt for pulled pork and poo poo was like 10bucks.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Guys, you should lay off this kid. He's not really in charge of the roast or the egg.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

EngineerJoe posted:

Guys, you should lay off this kid. He's not really in charge of the roast or the egg.

Didn't mean to start a dog pile.

Please break in the egg and post your meats, OP. :btroll:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Larrymer posted:

Didn't mean to start a dog pile.

Please break in the egg and post your meats, OP. :btroll:

Also, learn how to burp your egg before you burn your eyebrows off...

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I think he suggested the pork roast because we already have it. Personally I’d like to do ribs or some tomahawk ribeyes or something.

Make sure it's a shoulder or butt. If you try to cook a pork loin roast, or similar lean cut, for 12 hours you're going to have a bad time.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yes please don't smoke a loin or roast until internal 200 :ohdear:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It’s a pork loin, so I’m not sure what the hell to do about that. :negative:

Also the Egg may not be delivered until this weekend because it’s raining where I live. :negative:

VERTiG0 posted:

Two thousand United States dollars for something with the same cooking space as a $150 Weber kettle. I'm sure kamados are nice, but not that nice. Holy poo poo.

Hey if this were my purchase I would’ve spent even more.

And it doesn’t have the same cooking space as a $150 Weber kettle. It’s got an 18” diameter, so it actually has even LESS cooking space.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Do the pork loin hot and fast. But people say don't do something hot because the gaskets need to cure.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is there something wrong with just running it at low heat long enough to cure the gaskets without any meat in there?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Stringent posted:

Is there something wrong with just running it at low heat long enough to cure the gaskets without any meat in there?

Wasting perfectly good charcoal?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh God, my $2 worth of charcoal. A bloo bloo bloo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I was kidding man drat!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How long do I need to run it for to do whatever it is I need to do to it, and at what temperature?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd shoot for 225 since that's a common temp you want to dial in and do it for a couple hours to burn off any oil or manufacturing poo poo on the inside.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Canuckistan posted:

If you try to cook a pork loin roast, or similar lean cut, for 12 hours you're going to have a bad time.
I am making a pork loin roast out out on the grill for dinner tonight-- sliced open, filled with pancetta garlic and rosemary, and rolled back up. I was just browsing google image search to see if there was something out there that looked appealing in case I wanted to change my mind and it is astounding how many people have posted recipes on their food blogs that clearly do not know there is a difference between the tenderloin and the loin. These are different things, do you also confuse a beef sirloin and tenderloin?! Also jeez, don't cook it to 160F.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Tenderloin is delicious fresh but man don't ever reheat it in the microwave. It just gets mushy and gross.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Tenderloin leftovers are best un-heated on a sandwich or salad

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

CapnBry posted:

I am making a pork loin roast out out on the grill for dinner tonight-- sliced open, filled with pancetta garlic and rosemary, and rolled back up. I was just browsing google image search to see if there was something out there that looked appealing in case I wanted to change my mind and it is astounding how many people have posted recipes on their food blogs that clearly do not know there is a difference between the tenderloin and the loin. These are different things, do you also confuse a beef sirloin and tenderloin?! Also jeez, don't cook it to 160F.
If you search for pork loin, google will also give you tenderloin recipes, and vice versa. It's one of those things where they're trying to be helpful but failing, so that's definitely not helping.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Oh it isn't just google. People say in their recipes to use a tenderloin and their photos are clearly of a loin roast. Some blogs use the terms interchangeably in their recipes. At one point it is a loin, at another we've got a tenderloin. I even saw one recipe for slow smoked pork loin, which was cooked in an oven-- shudder. I don't want a pork tenderloin those are not enough meat for a man like me. See, internet, this is a smoked pork loin roast courtesy of CapnBry's big green egg.

Ah gently caress me. Looking at the photo, that might be mistaken for a tenderloin roulade if prepared by very small people with good knives. That's over two pounds of pork right there! EDIT: Oh I shot it at 55mm. Wow it really makes everything look so tiny.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 22, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there any advantage to using the EGGnitor instead of a chimney to light lump charcoal in an Egg?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Is there any advantage to using the EGGnitor instead of a chimney to light lump charcoal in an Egg?

I'd never use a chimney for slow temp startup. My SOP is an electric igniter under a few lumps just to get them started.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Wow that EGGniter is pretty neat. They couldn't integrate a 30 second timer display on it too though? I can't count Mississippis for 90 seconds!

I always just use a blowtorch and a can of coleman propane. Hit it 20 seconds in 3 places and we're good to go. I've tried using those webber parafin cubes as well but I found them to be a bit fiddly to have just enough airspace around them for them to burn properly but embedded enough in lump to actually ignite something. It always seemed to go more slowly than the blowtorch as well.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I like the heat gun against a couple of coals. Always seems to do the trick of igniting just the coals I want to start.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CapnBry posted:

Wow that EGGniter is pretty neat. They couldn't integrate a 30 second timer display on it too though? I can't count Mississippis for 90 seconds!

I always just use a blowtorch and a can of coleman propane. Hit it 20 seconds in 3 places and we're good to go. I've tried using those webber parafin cubes as well but I found them to be a bit fiddly to have just enough airspace around them for them to burn properly but embedded enough in lump to actually ignite something. It always seemed to go more slowly than the blowtorch as well.

Yeah I use a torch as well.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I use a chimney to start but I'm also just using it to ignite post oak. Different pit too.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I use a half chimney for my WSM actually, helps it come up to temp really quick. I also have a performer though, so i can just use the propane start to light the chimney while I'm filling the water bowl/prepping the probes/blahblah

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wish it would stop loving raining at my house so the Egg could be delivered and I could smoke a pork butt slathered in rub and honey mustard sauce.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

If you're gonna fire up the Egg for smoking, use that Eggnitor thing, looks like a knockoff Looftlighter which is what I use (:smugdog:) when I fire up coals for smoking in everything but my PBC. It'll be good.

Did you guys get a remote smoker thermometer with that big package? If not, you will absolutely need one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

If you're gonna fire up the Egg for smoking, use that Eggnitor thing, looks like a knockoff Looftlighter which is what I use (:smugdog:) when I fire up coals for smoking in everything but my PBC. It'll be good.

Did you guys get a remote smoker thermometer with that big package? If not, you will absolutely need one.

What, you mean like the DigiQ? We got a DigiQ.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Right on, you're good to go.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doesn’t anyone use a parafin cube?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

sellouts posted:

Doesn’t anyone use a parafin cube?

I do. They're super cheap and I even cut them in half, one whole cube seems overkill on each light.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Stringent posted:

Oh God, my $2 worth of charcoal. A bloo bloo bloo.

You're forgetting that he's not allowed to buy a 99cent a pound pork butt ($10!!!) and instead must use mystery pork that's not ideal for the $2000 appliance he so desperately needed.

I'm having flashbacks of the AI thread about some kids 300ZX.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Also...not to pile on, but where the gently caress in the world do deliveries not happen due to rain?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Mikey Purp posted:

Also...not to pile on, but where the gently caress in the world do deliveries not happen due to rain?

That's what I've been wondering!

What are y'all smoking this weekend? I finally made a batch of chicken thighs that turned out really great, took to smoke quite well. There is a place in town that specializes in tomahawk ribeyes so I may go over one of those and do a reverse sear/smoke for a group dinner before a show tomorrow.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Buying a pellet smoker (GMG Davy Crockett) in a shady craigslist deal tomorrow morning. Excited to make my first foray into the world of smoked meats. Anything in particular I should know unique to a pellet smoker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

tater_salad posted:

My brisket always takes forever.. Probably because I don't foil.. I need to try again and foil.

I don't foil either. poo poo just takes forever.

Though I will say that I'm pretty sure the pit probe for the Flameboss reads higher than what I'm used to (maybe because the FB alligator clips to the grill rather than being held above it by a clip?) because pork shoulders started taking an insane amount of time compared to what I'm used to. I think I'll start running at 240 or 250 instead of 225 when I'm using the FB.