Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i had my last vehicle for 8 years and in FL, even conditioning them at least twice a month they would still scratch and crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My thinking is that it would be easier to replace the seats once they’re worn if I have cloth vs leather. Granted it’s the dumb plaid stuff, so that’s likely out the window.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sorry, but the plaid interior is one of the best reasons to buy a GTI

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Etrips posted:

Did you get your JB4 yet?

Hnnnnggggggg

Warbird posted:

There is a new SEL golf we could get, but that’s not going to be as fun. I’ve always heard leather described as “great until it’s a massive pain in the rear end”. Plus it’s hot as hell down here in the summer, so...

Yeah, the heat retention was obnoxious and once it cracks that's it. I looked at getting the seats redone, but I just got rid of the car and moved on to the far superior GTI in all its plaidness.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I live near Houston and leather really isn't that bad. I still prefer it in my cars, and have black leather in my GTI and it's "not a problem."

You don't have plaid, though.

BlackMK4 posted:

^ Gets it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah the plaid interior was actually a big reason why I wanted a GTI in the first place.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Upon further discussion with other parties (wife) I think we’re going to pass on this S and hold out for a SE/SEL. We may just get a 18 if she finds a job before one pops up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think all 18s have performance package too

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I want to say that’s been a thing since 2017, but I’m not positive. But yeah, they just rolled it in. Only costs $10k more than the S we’re passing up. Sigh.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Warbird posted:

I want to say that’s been a thing since 2017, but I’m not positive. But yeah, they just rolled it in. Only costs $10k more than the S we’re passing up. Sigh.

I don't know where you live but these are like $6k off in most places. So really it's only $4k difference. Spread out over 84 months, it's not much more!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

vwvortex sucks in general but the mk7 forum has some decent info...specifically the "what did you pay' thread can be really helpful to see what prices people are actually paying. nobody is paying msrp, even on the 2018s.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ll go check it out, thanks!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

I wouldn't have bought one if it wasn't base. (Which is bullshit that its required but beside the point)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Warbird posted:

My 17 doesn't have the PP. The dealer did have a couple of SE/SELs in stock with PP, but they were outside my budget. I wish I'd been able to get a PP just for the LSD and the better wheels, but oh well. I'm not hurtling around corners during my commute.

Maybe I'm just commuting wrong.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you are doin it wrong :bahgawd:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It looks like I don't need a new head but the bolts are torque to yield and on backorder. Does anyone have any way to look up when they're supposed to be in stock again?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I'm going to look at a 2016 Fiesta ST with 16K miles + Recaro this week for 15K. Do we think this is a good deal? Anything in particular I should be looking out for?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

grahm posted:

I'm going to look at a 2016 Fiesta ST with 16K miles + Recaro this week for 15K. Do we think this is a good deal? Anything in particular I should be looking out for?

That's a good deal. The car is a hoot. You'll love it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So we popped into another VW dealership and damned if they didn't have a '17 GTI Sport with 4K miles for a reasonable price. I'm a tad bummed that it's automatic (despite not knowing how to drive stick) but I strongly suspect that an automatic would be better given the traffic I usually encounter around here. We may pull the trigger later this week.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
how else you supposed to develop the omega left calf muscle though? :ohdear:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I was just going to brace real hard against the fake clutch pedal dohickey on the left and hope the tension produced gainz or something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

So we popped into another VW dealership and damned if they didn't have a '17 GTI Sport with 4K miles for a reasonable price. I'm a tad bummed that it's automatic (despite not knowing how to drive stick) but I strongly suspect that an automatic would be better given the traffic I usually encounter around here. We may pull the trigger later this week.

its not an automatic, its a DSG! i liked it so much that i was willing to give up the 3rd pedal on my GTI and 11k miles later im still happy with my purchase.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If it doesn’t have a clutch pedal it’s an automatic.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I most likely would have gotten the DSG had I got a GTI. Especially in Seattle it would have been nice to have. But the 6spd in the Fiesta feels so nice it doesn’t bother me. When I get in my wife’s XB it’s like dragging a stick through mud in comparison.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I figure I’ll wait for a proper dumb car to go manual on. Our old roommate had a 95 Miata that was a blast, so likely something like that.

What’s the hot hatch version of the Miata fan base anyway?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
First or second gen Fit, or Mazda 2.
Both have decent spec racer classes.

Third gen Fit is a whale.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The last three gens of the Suzuki Swift Sport are hilarious.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

The last three gens of the Suzuki Swift Sport are hilarious.

Yeah the new one is even lighter - 970kg/2140lbs kerb weight (lighter than an MX5/Miata).
It's like another weight class below a Fiesta ST.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

its not an automatic, its a DSG! i liked it so much that i was willing to give up the 3rd pedal on my GTI and 11k miles later im still happy with my purchase.

Same here. The DSG is very good. I don't regret not getting a manual at all, and I've pretty much exclusively driven manual cars for about the last 15 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like the DSG in other applications (the Ateca 1.4 I've driven a lot has one) but it really is not as much fun as a proper manual transmission to me. Plus the service requirements are... heavy, and having worked in the VAG world and seen the problems come in (what is up constantly failing mechatronix units), I wouldn't own one outright.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like the DSG in other applications (the Ateca 1.4 I've driven a lot has one) but it really is not as much fun as a proper manual transmission to me. Plus the service requirements are... heavy, and having worked in the VAG world and seen the problems come in (what is up constantly failing mechatronix units), I wouldn't own one outright.

Swapping the oil every 40k isn't that bad. I don't know how often you service your manual gearbox but it's on par with what I would do with one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The seven speed DSG in the lower powered cars is far, far worse than the six speed in the GTI - they were going for fuel economy with that one and it's literally never in the correct gear for real world usage.

Also the seven speed is far more fragile and problematic anyway

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Larrymer posted:

Same here. The DSG is very good. I don't regret not getting a manual at all, and I've pretty much exclusively driven manual cars for about the last 15 years.

Thirded. I was 15 days shy of the anniversary of getting my first license in 1987, and had driven manuals ever since, when I traded my Civic Si for a 2017 GTI SE with DSG last June.

Never thought I'd get an automatic but after having driven both, I just did not like where the VW's clutch friction point was. 8 months in and I am more than pleased with my decision.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Dual mass flywheels are horribly vague and standard on most manuals. If you have a dsg it would be funny to put a gti clutch pedal that lit up a "danger to the manifold" light when pressed to confuse people.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Dual mass flywheels are horribly vague and standard on most manuals. If you have a dsg it would be funny to put a gti clutch pedal that lit up a "danger to the manifold" light when pressed to confuse people.

This is the sort of thing that maybe plays well in places where the humor doesn't translate well into English but I encourage you to workshop it some more before taking on the road in freedom loving countries.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m fairly sure I purchased my home with less personal info than I’ve just given this guy to get this car.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok, I’m one of you now. How do I get my complementary Hatch Mafia sticker?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
what did you buyy

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Warbird posted:

I’m fairly sure I purchased my home with less personal info than I’ve just given this guy to get this car.

A house isnt mobile, they know where to find you. They have to be sure they can track you down when you default on your car loan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

what did you buyy

17 GTI Sport. Previous owner only put 4K miles on it and added some stuff.