Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

Are let's plays still big or did streaming kill them

i think it's more one evolved into the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

weren't metal gear fans mad about revengeance as it was released

yeah there was some weird negativity towards it for until a bit after it came out and everybody realized "wait this is actually a really good action game that captures the feel of metal gear and platinum is good??"

probably still some die-hard fans who get weird about it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

yeah there was some weird negativity towards it for until a bit after it came out and everybody realized "wait this is actually a really good action game that captures the feel of metal gear and platinum is good??"

probably still some die-hard fans who get weird about it

its detractors these days are quite timid, lest they be found and swiftly destroyed

even kojima was a raving fan of it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Help Im Alive posted:

I’ve been doing a weekly LP thing on YouTube with a buddy for about two years now and we still average somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 views per upload, so I think LPs are pretty dead.

Then again we also don’t advertise and it’s just something fun to do once a week. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

Very few people do curated LPs of games anymore. You either get streamers giving "wow spoopy!" impressions as they're playing the game or 10-20 minute longform analysis videos after the fact.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Double post!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

no they wouldn't

Some people got mad about it at the time anyway

I know at least one person in real life who still refuses to play it because it's 'not a real mgs game'.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think people lost interest when Kojima said that he wasn't specifically involved in making the game but then people became interested again when that one trailer ended with Raiden precisely cutting a watermelon in two.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The old SA school of LP structure is rather dead, but there are still streamers and the like that still have their videos in more of a video LP style, the Best Friends are a big example that come to mind.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i recorded half of a dragon slayer jr sslp yesterday but now i need to replay the entire game to record the second half because i messed up halfway through and couldn't progress

the game is 30 minutes long

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Eh, LP's aren't dead-dead. Maybe the ones where you're only advertising to SA, sure. But look up Chip Cheezum et al and some of them have transitioned well to Youtube/Twitch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I still get the itch to do an LP but I generally only do low-effort LPs of lovely games to show them off to people nowadays. I've been putting off this one Christmas VN I found about the birth of Christ. I keep wanting to do it around Christmas time but then by the time December arrives I'm just like "eh"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

SSLPs are still the best, because sometimes the editorializing is quite good, and if it's not, you can flat out ignore it.

I appreciate that they're a crazy amount of effort, though.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Konami actually commissioned the original monster designer of Silent Hill to make some poo poo for Metal Gear Survive and the end result in that aspect isn't bad at all actually?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I do think mg survive would have done better with the fans if they just had monsters or maybe gekkos instead of zambies. Rising has endless identical hordes of lovely little robots but that was, I guess, ok with people because they were robots?

But it's true that more variety would be nice

its because its fun to play and an original take on a beloved canon.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I like the zombies, they're all crystal on the inside and break apart in appropriately crystalline fashion when you shoot their limbs off, it's neat. And apparently there are monsters that aren't zombies out there too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

Good luck. Are you doing it just for the chocobo? I think it was a special chocobo you get for getting married in ff14.

not them but I got gay catgirl married to my best friend back when the feature was added for the chocobo and dress which both rule

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/966767821286969346

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
gently caress it, I'm doing a stream. If any of you wanna come chat with me while I play some game about a cat that fights stuff then be my guest. Game's called "Hunter's Legacy." I dunno much about it other than it was cheap on steam and seemed like it'd make for an interesting stream.

https://twitch.tv/firstaidkite

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
turns out stanley kubrick directed super mario 64

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

120 bani-stars

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

precision posted:

turns out stanley kubrick directed super mario 64

:elevator opens up and a pool of melted Toad polygons flood the hallway:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

She giggles

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i recorded half of a dragon slayer jr sslp yesterday but now i need to replay the entire game to record the second half because i messed up halfway through and couldn't progress

the game is 30 minutes long

Did you not get the clothes to enter heaven without dying?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Not a Children posted:

SSLPs are still the best, because sometimes the editorializing is quite good, and if it's not, you can flat out ignore it.

I appreciate that they're a crazy amount of effort, though.

i have a folder of screenshots for the first case of danganronpa 2

7,166 files

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have played every Metal Gear except Revengeance and yeah part of it is because I was expecting MGS4: Sword Edition. I'll get to it eventually.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
sooooo is anyone else fuggin hyped for the new yume nikki game tomorrow? i still can't believe someone managed to summon the original creator out of the ether

god this trailer is so good https://youtu.be/zciHcb38PnA

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

youcallthatatwist posted:

sooooo is anyone else fuggin hyped for the new yume nikki game tomorrow? i still can't believe someone managed to summon the original creator out of the ether

god this trailer is so good https://youtu.be/zciHcb38PnA

I thought it was a fangame with his blessing and he wasn't involved

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
all the trailers and stuff make a big deal about kikiyama supervising everything and donating character designs

i'm sure they probably didnt actually, like, program anything, but it's good enough for me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the greatest strategy game of all time on sale for $1.50, moonbase fuckin commander!!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/254880/MoonBase_Commander/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there’s some irony in the fact the game i played the most this past week is elite:dangerous which is basically “waiting, the game” and here i am stuck at an airport wih a delayed flight and this would be the perfect time to crank out some lovely waiting in elite

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

there’s some irony in the fact the game i played the most this past week is elite:dangerous which is basically “waiting, the game” and here i am stuck at an airport wih a delayed flight and this would be the perfect time to crank out some lovely waiting in elite

sounds like someone needs a nintendo switch tm

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

elite dangerous, perfect for switch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Well aren't you fancy

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Agents Of Mayhem is fun. Missing co-op and the story is poo poo, but the plot in the Row games were always bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm glad the nostalgia for dead media is moving on from expensive vinyl back around to disposable cassettes.

Waiting for the Betamax revival tbh. Still have a crate load of Bonkers episodes I can't watch anymore.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Good god dude

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'm glad the nostalgia for dead media is moving on from expensive vinyl back around to disposable cassettes.

Waiting for the Betamax revival tbh. Still have a crate load of Bonkers episodes I can't watch anymore.

MP3s lack the purity of sound you'd get from a good eight-track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost